Rise of the Runelords: Chapter 1

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Zen can't make it, we'll play a slower session tomorrow, where we clear out Thistletop and do some roleplaying. But we'll save Malfie and other plot-burgers for next week (with some off-the-script padding, like the journey home and the Ewok Sandpoint Celebration party).

I would haul it to Stabucks buuuuut I doubt my client would like me spending six plus hours at a coffee shop. XD

Da fuck?

...Usual time...

*squints at Grumpy*

You're weird. Stop being weird.

Usual time is 5:30 am right?

Hmm... Now that An-nur has scared off the villains, all the remaining Thistletop loot is in strange and dangerous places...

He'll walk it off.

Granted, there will be a limp.

And I'm not saying that An-Nur saved his life or anything with those two potions of Lesser Restoration...

But I'm not saying she didn't. :3

Quick serious note to everyone.

I can see an old trend developing. People complaining about loot. Constantly. Every session.

The last few hours of yesterday night seemed to be all about loot. Every question, in- and out-of-character, was about loot. 10,000 year old plot and artifacts were presented to you, and your questions were only about what you could sell and what you could steal. It made me feel that the simple scripted plot of this adventure is too much for you to comprehend, and you've fallen back onto hack-and-slash treasure-hoarding mentality. I gave you so much after you defeated the goblins, and all this seems to have done is trigger cynical expectations.

I hope I'm just being paranoid. But I'd like to stop this before it begins.

I've given you talking swords, rings of arcane power, goblin loot that can be sold for thousands of gold, an alchemist's back-catalogue, mooks who drop potions, wondrous items, scrolls, wands - EVERYTHING. But I still get the feeling that you're all upset.... that you still think I'm holding out on you somehow.

Please don't let it become that kind of game. The plot of this adventure is amazing, and it's all there before you, along with dozens of NPCs and subplots. You're standing inside the head of an ancient sentinel, from a lost empire, where a demon has been trapped as part of a generational feud against the servants of Lamashtu, and a fallen Aasimar is trying to free that demon to exact her revenge against the town that wronged her, in a childhood fraught with tragic love and the loss of a child.

You have the sister of that Aasimar travelling with you, and a descendant of one of those tortured witches. What's more, you have two swords that belonged to the torturer and four rings that the torturer was seeking. You have an ancient catacomb where creatures of Wrath were being forged; and now you've just found another ancient lair where symbols of Greed cover the walls. The shadow of the seven sins is hanging over everything.

But I still get the feeling that some of you are stuck for motivation, and want me to provide it for you. But is that really my job, along with everything else?

If you really think that this plot has nothing to do with you then I am all out of ideas. I can't compete with that kind of apathy.

Tegan and Zen have had the best experiences so far. Not because they're emotional estrogen-bags and are getting special treatment. But because they've thrown themselves into the plot. They've made themselves vulnerable, tried to understand the villains, asked questions when standing in ancient ruins, talked to NPCs, made themselves flawed and fallible. And now they're about to LOSE ALL OF THEIR LOOT and suffer exile or imprisonment. And they're still having a fucking whale of a time.

If you want to punch things until they drop bags of treasure, this really isn't the game for you. There are hundreds of other past-times that can give you that.

Everburning Torch
Notes about the history of the Sentinel

Wooden Seven-pointed Star Symbol

Mithril Scepter (DC10 Religion to recognize this as a common icon in the church of Abadar) - worth 500gp
Golden Chess Piece - worth 100gp
Golden Cup with Noble Seal (DC15 Nobility to recognize this as the symbol of the Valdemar shipwrights) - worth 300gp

Scratched and dented puzzle box containing a Ring with the carving of a Mallard on it.

The charred remains of Father Tobyn (burned on Lamashtu's altar)

Tablets and texts denoting The Dance of the Flume - a pre-Varisian ritual performance associated with the Seven Familiars.
Scroll of Comprehend Languages - Used
Scroll of Whispering Wind

Various implements of torture and archaeology worth 500g.
After waking up and feeding the horse, the party descended to the second level. They took Orik with them, unshackled and trusted now that Nualia had abandoned him. Topgob also came along - dressed up in Ripnugget's armour.

They heard Ripnugget's four goblin wives in one of the rooms, arguing over a treasure chest. So they barricaded the door and left the women to it. They would come back later for the treasure chest (after complaining about not having a treasure chest for the rest of the night). They also found a goblin nursery, where nine baby gnashers were locked up in cages (standard goblin childhood). An-Nur gave them biscuits (saying that she and Tsuto were the only ones feeding these infants) and closed the room.

Next, An-Nur led them to the bedrooms where Nualia, Orik, Lyrie and the bugbear once slept. This is where Serenus collapsed on one of the beds, exhausted from the previous night (she had read from the prayer book of the 6 gods in order to keep Malfeshnikor out of the party's dreams). Voren agreed to watch over Serenus while she slept. The magus was happy to do this, since he had found Lyrie's notes about the Sentinel and needed time to read them.

Leaving them, the party continued onwards. They found a prison cell where six Varisian gypsies had been held for the last month after the Bugbear captured them. These starving people were marked with the symbol of Lamashtu, and the party deduced they were being prepared as Malfeshnikor's first meal.

Rodeh took the lead in freeing the prisoners, and Orik led them back to the surface to eat and rest. Meanwhile, the party uncovered a chapel attached to the prison. It was dedicated to Lamashtu - as proven by the eight-foot statue of the monstrous goddess, and the smouldering remains of Father Tobyn's corpse in the altar bowl. An-Nur told them that Nualia had begun her transformation by burning the priest's remains (Nualia now has a demonic left hand, thanks to this blasphemous deed).

The party smashed the chapel - wrecking as much of the evil place as they could. Then they ventured onwards, and found older cavern tunnels on the east side of the head. It was here that the Thistletop goblins had dumped the loot given to them as tribute from the other tribes. There were many trinkets from the Valdemar family - the nobles whose shipwrecked boats were used to build the goblin stockade. An-Nur also found a puzzle box inscribed with the symbol of a Mallard's skeleton. Throwing caution to the wind, she immediately opened the box and put on the Ring of the Mallard, feeling a flood of Abjuration magic as she did so.

In the midst of their looting, a native inhabitant of the cavern tunnels used the opportunity to find an ambush spot. As the party backtracked, a Tentamort snared Dhoryl and stung him multiple times, liquefying his internal organs. Rodeh felled the aberration, and some quick healing from An-Nur spared the elf's life. But the horrifying ordeal sent Topgob running back to the surface.

Leaving Orik and the gypsies to deal with the panicking goblin, the party headed for the next level. On the way they found a goblin painting - their depiction of Malfeshnikor as a 30ft tall, muscular goblin with snakelike
eyes and a dogslicer in each taloned hand. It seems the goblins believe Malfeshnikor to be one of the four barghest demigods. Dhoryl and An-Nur realized that this may explain why there are four goblin camps in this region. Perhaps this is why the goblins came to Varisia in the first place...

Near the stairway to the next level, the party found the war room where Nualia and the goblins had planned the attacks on Sandpoint. They also found Lyrie's study, where she was researching a strange ritual that predates Varisian gyspy dances. An-Nur has begun to translate and memorize this dance.

Finally, on the third level, the party came down into the tilted, ruined catacombs that predate the goblin stockade. Here they found chambers decorated with statues of a robed man holding a glaive and a book, with gemstones studded in his forehead. An-Nur explained that this place was devoted to greed, just as Erylium's catacombs were devoted to wrath. The statue was similar to the one of Queen Alaznist found under Sandpoint; but this was clearly a man, with a face like that of the giant's head itself.

It seems that each of these ancient lairs belonged to a Lord of the old empire; and that these lords were once at war.

Before they could fully explore the place, the third and final Yeth Hound made its attack, sending all but Kolto and An-Nur fleeing in terror. With some buffs from An-Nur, Kolto felled the creature, and the party decided to regroup and rest, before fetching Voren and Serenus.

The path to Malfeshnikor has now been cleared.

Last edited:
Apologies if I was seeming loot-happy. I just wanted to stick to Kolto's patented 'grab everything not nailed down, then pry the rest up' technique (I brought a crowbar and everything for it :D). As for the story, don't worry; I've got plenty of ideas as for how to keep Kolto motivated, both during these next scenes and on into Part 2.

We've also got that "what's to be done with An-Nur" scene coming up soon, which I'm really looking forward to. That's gonna be an interesting dilemma for everybody except Voren.

Thanks for...not referring to me and Zen as emotional estrogen-bags?

*Not sure if compliment. Maybe because Asmo is British and she's not.*

You guys have no concept of left-handed compliments. It's too deeply imbedded in your culture.

It's what happens when an entire nation spends centuries being horrible to each other.

You guys'll get there soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.