Reveal The One True Desire

Status
Not open for further replies.
BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

After another long day went by, Lee leaned back against his kitchen counter, rubbing his eyes, his head pounding slightly. He was sure of it now... four days of no sleep. Anyone could tell how sleep-deprived he was by the dark patches under his eyes. Unfortunately, it made him look even more sinister than he already was. Just perfect. Exactly what he needed. Groaning, Lee pulled his fridge open and grabbed another water bottle, cracking it open before taking a sip. All the night before, he had put more evidence together and had also managed to get the cell phones from the other investigators. Luckily it didn't take much persuading. he had been so busy with his own thing that he had also forgotten to message Austin to check in. Pulling his phone out, he started texting.

'Anything new? I've scrapped a few things together, and the cell phones helped a bit. Otherwise, the evidence is lacking.' After sending the text, Lee placed his phone on the counter before walking to the fruit basket and grabbing an apple. Taking a bite out of it, he turned to watch the clouds move through the sliding door that lead to the balcony. Another day to try and figure out who was messing with him. He had to be careful as well... his energy wasn't at it's finest, to say the least. Using his free hand, Lee rubbed one of his temples, closing his eyes. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling that it was going to be a long day...

Austin Gallagher
Austin fumbled with the various objects in his pocket for a brief moment after feeling a vibration, before pulling out his phone to check who the fuck was messaging him at this ungodly time. When it turned out to be Lee, he wasn't quite sure if he was relieved or not. On one hand, he preferred that guy to the force checking with him, and on the other, he really did not want to have a serious talk about work, which was probably what was going to happen. He decided to reply anyway.

'Well, lets see. I got a decent nights rest, the urge to flay myself over a campfire is back, I ran out of food and have to interact with civilization, and I have several kinks in my neck from my goddamn couch. Be glad u actually have a place to live, cus I live in a fucking office and it's terrible.' he sent, text conveying how he felt this current morning. He decided to send a serious text along after, though, for the sake of making Lee not mention how 'childish' he was 'On the case? No. I've read the papers over again, but there's seriously nothing there. Welcome to the dead end zone, I'll b ur guide.'

While texting, he accidentally bumped into someone, which earned him a lecture from a total stranger, even after he grumbled a sorry. Which then wasted more of his time, which made him feel even worse, and, in the end, he silently vowed never to leave his office ever again in the morning. After finally escaping, he made his way to a random isle, grabbing whatever looked like it was fake enough to have a expiration date a long time from now.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Hearing his phone vibrate on the counter, Lee used his free hand to grab his phone, reading over the text. So. Austin was stuck as well, and still childish as ever. The detective tossed his apple into the trash before texting the male back, his jaw set as he did so. 'Nobody told you to stay in your office, and you should be happy you got to rest. Not that I'm complaining, of course.' pausing, Lee looked up at the ceiling before sending another text. 'I'm thinking about going back to the crime scene again in a few minutes. I'll let you know if I find something if you don't want to come.' after sending the texts, Lee put his phone back in his pocket before heading to his room.

Pulling his grey shirt off, Lee stretched his arms above his head, squinting a bit at the stretch before letting his arms fall. Pausing in front of his mirror, the detective tilted his head a bit at his reflection, gently turning a bit to see his side. Since he was so pale, it was hard to see the scars that littered the male's chest, shoulders, and back. Being a detective proved to be a difficult job, as far as keeping oneself safe. However, Lee felt like he still needed to press on, no matter what injuries he would get.

Despite that, Lee's body was in nice shape. He had a shadow of a six pack along with decent pectorals and biceps. Not too obvious that he had muscles, but they could be seen. Unfortunately, from lack of sleep, his hair was sticking in different directions, and his face looked more evil and cold. Groaning slightly, Lee turned from his reflection and headed to his closet, pulling it open. Inside, there was many button-up collared shirts hanging on hangers. Quickly, Lee grabbed a royal purple one and slipped his arms in the sleeves. Before buttoning it up, he slipped off his sweat pants and grabbed a tighter pair of black jeans, slipping them on. Then, he rolled the cuffs of his sleeves up to above his elbow, checking their length in the mirror before buttoning the shirt and tucking it in his jeans.

After he was finished, Lee quickly slipped on some black socks and styled his hair before walking to his door, his black shoes waiting beside the door. Slipping them on, the detective stepped out of his flat and locked the door behind him. Putting his sunglasses on, Lee sighed before walking outside the building, feeling the sun shine directly onto his back. After getting in his car, he yawned before starting it up, heading toward the crime scene.

Austin Gallagher
Austin paid and then exited the store, really hoping that the plastic bag he held wouldn't rip til he got back to his office. When he felt another vibration, he retrieved his phone once more and sighed, rolling his eyes at the response. Of course. He should've expected that comment from Lee. He had only known the man a few days, maybe less, and yet this was typical.

'Enjoy the creepy clown area, banphrionsa. and for ur information, i can't buy another living place, i'm poor af. the only reason i have an office is because my dad bought it, buddy. i make do. But the couch is painful. and since i don't feel well rested i am complaining to u and ur comfortable unrested ass.' A nice ass, granted- it wasn't like Austin suddenly turned into a straight guy overnight, he could admit Lee was attractive -but the other detective could tone down the 'tude a bit. 'but yea message me when u get anything and on the topic of my office never come 2 it. just call me or something. sure i don't think u'll ever even dream of coming to casa de austin but just in case don't. if i don't pick up my phone i prolly forgot to plug it in or something.'

At the point, after taking time to correct mistakes(even though the grammar was still awful), he had reached his office and got inside. He tossed the phone onto the couch, going the fridge and beginning to put things away. He had a good stock for probably a month, so that was one good thing. He would hate to run out again. He had had enough interaction with the community. He ran one hand through his unkempt hair, glaring down the mess of a workspace in front of him. Today, he should probably take some time to clean things up.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

After parking his car, Lee checked his phone, seeing a text from Austin. Pressing his lips together, the male rolled his eyes, not even bothering to reply. He did feel bad about assuming that Austin could get a home, but would he admit that? Nope. He wasn't a softie like that, unfortunately. He'd find a way to apologize, one way or another. Stepping out of his car, Lee looked over the deserted crime scene, seeing the police tap closing off the broken doorway. Ducking under the tape, Lee felt chills roll over his spine, the hairs on his neck standing on end. It was also eerily quiet, one of the few things he hated about investigating empty crime scenes. The house was also dark except for the sunlight that leaked in through the windows. The floorboards also creaked under Lee's feet as he walked, causing him to lick his lips. He wasn't all too scared, but after the jumpscare in the bathroom, he was a bit on edge.

Slowly, Lee opened the parents' room, stepping inside. The smell of iron from their blood mixed with the must of the room, even though the bodies were no longer there. Suddenly, Lee paused in his tracks, goosebumps traveling over his arms instantly. Something was off. He could feel it. Almost as if something in the room was tampered with. The detective suddenly had the feeling that he should leave, and turned to go. However, a set of clicks caused the male to turn, his eyes drawn to the line of holes in the wall he was turned to look at. His eyes widened and he felt his breath catch in his throat. He intended to jump out of the way, but before he could, he felt pain blossom over his shoulder and over his cheek just as he heard something fly past his face. His eyes were wide as he felt warm liquid draining down his face and down his right arm, staining his purple shirt. He almost died. If he had moved even an inch to the left, the knife would have pierced his eye and planted itself into his brain. A fatal move.

Looking down at his shoulder, Lee winced at the knife that was buried in his flesh. It was painful, yes. But, the only thought on his mind was that the murderer knew they'd come back to search, so he set up the trap. So... it meant he was somewhat intelligent. Just perfect. Looking back down at the dagger, Lee grabbed it by the handle and pulled quickly, causing his vision to fill with black spots. Pain engulfed his body and he took in a deep breath once the dagger was free. Luckily, it wasn't powerful enough to cause serious damage. It would heal over time, and it didn't really need stitched. Lifting his uninjured arm, he wiped at the dripping blood on his face, staining his shirt even more. Great. He needed another shirt as well.

Lee paused. Footsteps. Quickly, the detective looked around the room and saw that there was space under the bed. Wasting no more time, Lee fell to his stomach and pulled himself under the bed, moving as far back as he could. His heart was racing, and he listened as doors were opening and closing, as if someone was checking for something. Or someone. Noticing that he was breathing heavily, Lee placed a hand over his mouth to keep quiet. If he wasn't injured, he would've waited for the person to enter before attacking him, but he couldn't at the moment. All that mattered was staying safe and hidden. Soon enough, the door to the main room opened, and Lee watched as a pair of shoes met his view, slowly stepping inside as if he was inspecting a house for sale. Lee felt his breathing stop as he waited, his eyes wide as he waited for something to happen.

To Lee's luck, the man eventually turned and left the room, whistling a bit. The detective stayed still, not breathing, until he heard the front door bang shut before opening once more, as it was broken. Closing his eyes, Lee let out a relieved sigh before pulling himself from under the bed, moving to sit on it instead. Running a hand through his hair, he let the events of the day run through his head. The fact that he almost died was just lovely. Perfect for starting the day.

Standing, Lee walked into the bathroom and searched around. Luckily, he saw a small first aid kit and grabbed it. Sitting on the toilet seat, he unbuttoned his shirt and shed it off, looking down at the wound on his arm. Furrowing his brow at the sight, he quickly opened a few alcohol pads before wiping at it, not even bothered by the stinging. Once he was done with his arm, he wiped his face clean and put a bandage on it. Grabbing a cotton wrap, Lee then wrapped it around his shoulder along with the top of his arm so that it was steady and wouldn't slip. Then, he finished by wrapping around the cotton with gauze, tucking it so it stayed. He didn't bother putting his shirt back on, as it was ruined and smelled like his blood. A smell he didn't quite like.

Pulling out his phone, he looked over Austin's text message again before standing up. Walking back to the room, Lee snapped a picture of the holes in the wall as wall as the dagger he pulled from his shoulder. Sending them to Austin, he also sent a text 'Booby trapped. Perfect thing to encounter in the morning, wouldn't you agree?' After sending the text, Lee sat on the bed, looking over the room. There wouldn't have been a booby trap if there wasn't something to hide. So, he just sat there, letting his mind turn over the possibilities, along with the fact that he had almost died. At least it would be another interesting story to tell, among many others.

Austin Gallagher
A panic message from Austin came almost instantly after, which was surprising, as with the way he had acted til this point it could have been assumed he would reply with something witty that held no actual regard for how Lee was doing 'What the fuck. What the fuck? Get ur ass over here right now mister forget what I said about not coming to my office if u do not come I will find you and murder you myself.'

This, however, wasn't the only message sent. It was followed by a slew of others.

'Don't think I don't see the blood because I do and it's been noted'

'Are you at least out of that place because I swear to god I am going to drag you down to hell with me if you aren't.'

'I'm supposed to joke about injuries!!! Ur supposed to be stoic and sensible! I am the stupid and serious one get your ass back in line'

'Bhí tu dur chun smaoineamh go raibh se seo ag smaoineamh maith, leathcheann. Ba choir me glacadh leis is dócha go mbeadh duine eigin ag iarraidh marbh leat.'

'That was in Irish so u couldn't understand it the main point is ur stupid and should be more careful'

'If there was a clown in the whatever of course there was going to be a fucking knife that's so goddamn predictable I should've caught that'

'It's like shitty horror movies i s2g'

'Did u at least call for help'

The truth was, at the moment, Austin was pacing around his office- cleaned up nicely, with papers stored away and the pens put where they belong -, worrying over the current situation. Considering the message they had received, he had been a BIT antsy, but he figured nothing would happen. But now his partner- not friend, partner, for christsake, he shouldn't be this freaked -just got stabbed with a knife. A knife that was probably meant to kill. Wearily, he took a seat in his office chair, fiddling with his phone with a frown. He leaned back, his folded up jacket- he had taken it off, and replaced the button up with a white tank top -acting as a pillow. A bad one, but still better than having none.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

At the slew of messages Lee got in return, he blinked at his phone, watching as one by one they made his phone vibrate. He pressed his lips together before furrowing his brow. 'I'll be there soon, I just need to check something out. Give me about five minutes and I'll be out of here.' Lee quickly texted Austin back before putting his phone away and stepping toward the wall. Bending low, he rapped his knuckles against the wall, hearing the sound echo. Hollow. Moving his jaw side to side, Lee turned and grabbed one of the nearby daggers. Digging the dagger into the wall, he felt the area he stabbed give, as if there was nothing supporting the wallpaper behind it. Furrowing his brow, Lee tossed the dagger away before tearing at the wallpaper, seeing a hole in the drywall. Slowly putting his hand inside, his hand met with a box. Pulling it out, he looked over it, seeing that it was rather old and antique.

Standing, Lee made his way out of the room, feeling as if he needed to leave. He found what he needed and he needed to go see Austin. However, pausing at the front door, the detective looked down at his bare chest and sighed. He forgot to find a new shirt. Going back inside the parents' room, Lee spoke a few words of thanks to the dead parents' souls before opening a drawer and grabbing a light orange t-shirt. Slipping it on, he saw that it hugged his torso snugly, even if it wasn't quite his style. At least it covered the bandages. Stepping back outside, he went to his car and put the box in the passenger seat beside him before driving to the police department.

Once arriving, Lee walked inside and asked a fellow investigator for Austin's room. They told him the directions and he made his way there, stopping in front of the door. Hesitantly, he moved to hold his fist up, sighing a bit. Then, without wasting anymore time, he knocked on the door, holding the antique box under his uninjured arm as he did so. At the most, he felt eager to tell Austin about what he had found, but he was sure the male was going to bring up the pictures. Lee simply stood at the door and waited, his jaw set slightly as he looked to the ground.

"It's me."

Austin Gallagher
It was only moments until the door was flung open, revealing Austin putting on his jacket rather haphazardly. Once he had succeeded in that and dusted himself off, he crossed his arms, scowling. "I don't see how you're not more worried about a knife wound. Seriously. What the fuck? It's a fucking knife!" He grumbled, before moving out of the way of the entrance to let Lee in "Get inside. I hope you actually found something after getting, you know, stabbed. You took care of that, right?"

Austin would never admit he was worried. Never. But it showed, so he wouldn't HAVE to admit it. Honestly, if anyone got stabbed, he would be worried, but with the note and all it was beyond creepy. He soon moved over to his fridge, grabbing a bottle of whatever he had bought- it looked like coca cola, but he honestly wasn't too sure -and making his way to his desk, sitting down in the cushioned seat with a sigh. The jacket was uncomfortable, but it was better than having it on out in the heat, he supposed. That would suck a lot more than this.

Besides, right now he had more to think about than how comfortable he was. After all, someone had set up a death trap, and that's not exactly reassuring news. There had to be something there, and Lee did say he was checking something out, so Austin assumed that he found something. Hopefully. It could've been a dud, or a red herring, or something like that. He doubted that someone would take the time to set up a trap like that for something so stupid, though.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Lee looked up at Austin as the door was flung open, already chewing him out about the whole attack situation. Instead of saying anything, the detective blinked, his eyes slightly widened at the male and his sudden reaction. Once the other moved out of the way, Lee stayed there, hesitant, before walking in, closing the door behind him. He simply watched Austin as he walked to his mini fridge before sitting in his own chair. Slowly, Lee walked to Austin's desk and slowly moved his arm so that he could grab the box, feeling pain blossom over his shoulder. Putting the antique-looking box on the desk in front of Austin, Lee blinked before taking a step back, his lips pressed into a thin line.

"I took care of it. It's nothing out of the ordinary, especially with the death threat. I knew something was up, but unfortunately I reacted too late." Lee spoke with a sigh, lifting his hand to put it on his injured shoulder. "However, it was pretty much worth it, since I wasn't injured too badly and I managed to find this box inside the wall." Lee spoke simply, using his free hand to press his thumb against his lips in thought. Then, remembering the encounter with the random person, Lee looked back up at Austin.

"Ah. I also forgot to tell you that after the trap was set off, a man walked into the house. I guess he was trying to look for the person that set off his trap, but I guess seeing the blood, he must have thought that I escaped." Lee said with a sigh before moving to sit on the smaller couch. He was emotionally and physically drained. Four days of no sleep along with a surprise attack was quite a lot for him in that moment. Bending forward, Lee pressed his forearms against his legs before holding his head in his hands. As a sigh escaped his lips, he closed his eyes, letting his thoughts organize themselves before he sat back up, turning to look at Austin.

"I didn't check what's inside yet. I think it might be filled with photographs or letters. Maybe some mail... but I'm not sure. I think at this point, my brain is pretty much fried." Lee spoke softly, but loud enough for the other detective to hear. So he didn't fall asleep, he then stood back up and walked to the wall, leaning his back against it. Closing his eyes, he leaned his head back and crossed his arms, his brow furrowed. Like he thought, it was going to be a long day.

Austin Gallagher
Austin paused a moment, before sighing and rubbing his head "Look, dude, get some sleep or something. Seriously. Use the couch, I'll look over all of this while you do." He said, gesturing to the aforementioned furniture "Because, I'll be honest, you look like you need it. You also just got stabbed. Take a deep breath and lay down. Your manly efforts can be put on pause for a bit."

With that, he was up again, and seemed a bit reluctant to touch the box on his desk. So, he seemed to just avoid it entirely. Instead, he went over to a file cabinet and went through some things, trying to find anything that could possibly relate to the case and, in turn, what was inside the box. It was a great method for avoiding, because after the note and the recent trap, he wasn't keen on seeing what THAT was. He'd get there, eventually, but for now? He'd much rather wait til Lee was fully awake and ready to work. Right now, that wasn't the case. And unfortunately? He didn't think Lee would accept his offer.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Lee looked longingly at the couch, and he felt his stubborn part of his mind decline immediately. However, four nights without sleep could really take its toll on a person, and he wanted to be in his right mind when he was working on the case. Opening his eyes once more, he looked at the couch then at Austin, pressing his lips together as he deliberated. He hated sleeping in front of people. But... what else could he do? His body was begging him for sleep, and he almost felt his body give in. Slowly, he walked to the couch and sat back down, clearing his throat a bit. His eyes watched Austin as he went to the file cabinet before he leaned down and pulled off his shoes. Turning, he laid long-ways on the couch, bending his knees as he turned to face the back cushions. For not having any sleep, it felt like bliss.

"Wake me up after an hour... I don't want to sleep too long when we could be solving things." Lee spoke in a monotone, his eyes closed as he felt his body starting to give in to the sleep. Before he allowed himself to, he sighed and licked his bottom lip. "Getting stabbed sucks..." he added, not sure why he did. Perhaps it was to lighten the thickness the air had taken, or maybe it was to let Austin know that he wasn't necessarily okay with getting injured. Whatever the meaning behind it was lost before Lee slipped into a deep unconscious sleep.

Austin Gallagher
Austin watched Lee for a moment and, when it seemed the other was asleep, went back to his desk. He worked for the most part, and would have kept working if he hadn't looked at the clock and realized 'oh, shit, it's near lunch', which then led to the realization he had only junk food and he wasn't the only one here today.

So he got up, setting an alarm on his computer for 2 hours- he wasn't letting Lee get only one hour of sleep -and writing a quick note, which conveyed he was out getting food because all he had was unhealthy stuff and that he'd be back soon. He figured that would suffice enough if the other woke up when he was gone, so he placed it on his desk in a obvious place and headed out the door.

He wasn't quite sure what to get, though. He didn't know what Lee liked. Hell, he wasn't even sure what he himself liked. It'd be a challenge to shop for someone else, but a challenge he would face willingly, if not for Lee, then for the sake of pushing back opening that box. Again, he didn't want to, so he didn't plan to til Lee was up to do it. Selfish, considering the detective just gotten stabbed, but whatever. Austin also made a mental note to pick up pain medication on the way.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Lee was in a deep sleep, his mouth hanging open slightly from the much needed sleep. However, as the alarm went off, the detective quickly shot up, immediately regretted it afterward. Pain shot up his arm and he winced, gently grabbing onto his shoulder. Looking at his surroundings with drowsy, he remembered that he had went to Austin's office. Seeing as the said male was nowhere to be seen, Lee allowed himself to yawn, stretching out his back as he did so. Blinking the sleep away from his vision, he reached a hand up and scratched his head, feeling that his hair was sticking in separate directions.

Slowly standing, he stretched his legs out a bit before walking to the desk, looking at the note. Well... at least he didn't just leave without saying anything. Looking around the room, he tried to look for some sort of mirror, but simply decided to sit back on the couch, using his front camera to check the scratch on his face. Seeing that the bandage had stayed nicely, he then moved to slip off his shirt to check his shoulder. Putting the shirt beside him, he slowly unwrapped the gauze before lifting the cotton pad off the stab wound, using his camera once more to get a good look at it. At the feel of the wind against it, he tensed his jaw. He then looked down at the gauze and cotton, pressing his lips together. Well, that was a stupid idea. When he first got injured, his arm was okay with being moved around, but now that it had time to get sore, he could barely move the arm to help him wrap the wound again.

Instead of worrying too much about it, Lee instead used his camera to inspect the depth of the wound to make sure it would heal nicely. It didn't seem too deep, and he was too focused on his wound to worry about Austin even walking in.

Austin Gallagher
It took a while. In the end, though, Austin settled on sandwiches and then headed back. Because who disliked those, right? Sandwiches were great, the few times he got them. Besides, unless Lee wanted twinkies, he couldn't eat anything else in that office. So, in turn, the other detective better apprieciate it, or Austin had spent money on nothing. Well, not nothing, he'd have a good meal tonight too, but still.

He opened the door to the office, walking in and pausing for a moment to view Lee. Then, he placed the bags down, digging out the pain medication and walking over, eyebrow raised "I was wondering if you even bandaged it. Good to see you did." He placed down the box next to Lee, before heading back over to the desks, where the bags were "Anywho, those are pain meds, enjoy. I have sandwiches. If you don't like sandwiches, I have twinkies, as per usual. If you don't like those, you can eat somewhere else."

Which he actually doubted Lee would, considering they had things to speak about. With the box being here and all, it was kind of hard to leave. And he was not opening that box by himself, so the other BETTER stay. There was also the matter of his shoulder, but it didn't seem to matter too much to Lee, so Austin figured that wouldn't be a deciding factor in whether he ditched the area or not.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Hearing Austin walk in, Lee didn't bother to glance before he saw the bottle of painkillers tossed in his direction. Turning, he caught the bottle by stretching out his uninjured arm, setting his jaw at the sudden movement. Popping off the top of the bottle, he dumped two in his hand before closing it once more. Closing his eyes, he tossed both into his mouth, swallowing the pills one at a time. Rather than moving to get something to drink, Lee had often used the method of swallowing the pills dry to save time. He had done it countless times, so the feeling of the pills didn't bother him anymore.

Pressing his lips together, he figured it would be better to hurry and re-wrap the bandages so his wound wouldn't get infected. Carefully, he held the cotton pad against the wound, balancing it before grabbing the gauze. Grabbing one end with his teeth, he pulled it tight with the other before wrapping it, making sure to tuck one end before wrapping the rest. Luckily, it was easy to do, and he didn't need help. Standing up, Lee slowly made his way to the front of Austin's desk, grabbing one of the sandwiches before opening it.

"It would be embarrassing having to give up on the case because of a little infection, so of course I took care of it." Lee said with a sigh, taking a bit into the sandwich before his eyes glanced down at the box. As he chewed, he moved his gaze back to Austin, narrowing them slightly. For some reason, it seemed like Austin was very apprehensive about what could be inside of it. Tilting his head slightly, his chest slowly rose and fell at the deep breath he took in before taking another bite.

"If you're that worried about it, then let me open it. Honestly, I didn't get a knife flung at me just to sit here and wonder about what's inside. Let me see it." Lee reached over the desk with his uninjured arm and easily grabbed the box, looking over the outside as he chewed his food slowly, his brow furrowed as he looked over the intricate design. It was old, that was for sure. Turning away from Austin, he moved to sit on the couch, turning the box over in his hand, the sandwich in the other. "Huh. I'm impressed at the design. It's a pretty rare model that was sold in the 1800s. Whatever's in here must be pretty important... especially with a pricey box like this. It's most likely a hope chest, for important things like children's art work... maybe even letters from past lovers and keepsakes." Lee spoke gently, bringing the box a bit closer as he looked over the aged carved wood, nodding a bit. It was basic to know about such things when being a detective in order to search for the sentimental and important things. Usually those gave the most evidence...

Austin Gallagher
Austin shrugged as he sat down with his sandwich, leaning back in the creaky old office chair "Don't know til you take a peek. I'm not willing because I'm pure and the only one of us unharmed, and I'm aiming for it to stay that way for now." He replied, seeming to be back to 'snarky, selfish, and rude' mode now.

Mostly because sarcasm and jokes were his way to shield himself freaking out from other people. He really didn't want to show that off. He was the funny unserious guy who was manly- he shouldn't be freaking out over a box, and that was that. Besides, it would be weird to act nice and caring and freaked out. So, he'd happily hide behind a wall of humor until he couldn't any longer. As of right now, though, he WAS actually curious to see what was inside the box.

He wasn't expecting much. Even with the knives, it seemed too easy and obvious. But, he wasn't there, so what would he know, right? Lee experienced it in the first place, so hey, if the guy thought it was important, Austin would look into it. Even if he didn't, Lee would still do it, and another reason to continue on was to make sure nothing stupid happened to that guy again. And all of these reasons were just ways to convince himself not to be scared of a goddamn box, but it was working, so he wasn't about to complain.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

"Haha. Very funny." Lee drawled, sarcasm dripping from his words as he spoke, turning to glare at Austin before setting the box down on his lap. Turning to grab the orange shirt beside him, he slipped it on and sighed, eyeing the box suspiciously and with curiosity. "You'd think that the one that wasn't injured wouldn't be afraid of a small box like this." Lee shook his head, catching on a bit to how the other male was behaving. He was definitely iffy about the box, and the detective couldn't help but feel the left side of his mouth turn up ever so slightly. How amusing.

Slowly, Lee loosened the clasp and lifted the lid, looking inside. As he had imagined, photographs, folded papers, and even a bit of small keepsakes were hidden inside. Tilting his head a bit, the detective felt his lips fall into their usual expressionless nature as his mind started to churn. Picking up one of the folded pieces of paper, he opened it and let his eyes search over it. A birth certificate for the deceased son.He was about to put the paper to the side, when his attention was drawn to the parents' names: George Jackson and Lisa Jackson.

However, the male that was killed with Lisa was identified as an entirely different person. So... divorce and remarriage? The ex-husband felt bitter and decided to end the family, which was disturbing all on its own if it happened to be true. It was a long fetch though, and it didn't quite explain how the note was left behind mentioning himself and Austin. Setting the paper down beside him, he searched through the box some more and found what looked like a discarded wedding ring and a photograph of Lisa with another man. Lee furrowed his brow before sighing and holding the box out to Austin, turning to look at the said male with bored eyes and a lazily raised eyebrow.

"Here. I made sure no poisonous darts or needles would shoot out at you." Lee narrowed his eyes slightly as the tease left his lips. He then turned to look ahead, leaning to brace his forearms against his knees before speaking. "It looks like a murder of revenge and passion, as cliche as it sounds. However, it seems as if the murderer wanted this to be found out. It seems to easy. The holes in the wall were obvious to even a toddler, and the whole situation wouldn't explain the threat note you found. Something's a bit off about all of this... I don't know how to explain it, but the murderer wouldn't set up a trap like that just to expose himself." Lee spoke out loud, more to himself than to Austin, but he said them anyway for the other to hear. Slowly sitting back up, he pressed his back against the couch, subconsciously pulling at the sleeves of the t-shirt. However, at noticing that there weren't any cuffs to adjust, his little habit, he paused and let his hand fall on his lap once more.

Austin Gallagher
"Hardy har har, sorry for being cautious." Austin grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest as he rolled his eyes. After letting the other finished, he continued to speak "Well, yea, doesn't make sense, probably for good reason. Could be a set up, framing, trap, all that good stuff." He shrugged a bit, before standing up "Well, that was exciting. I'm going to go out and check some other things. Feel free to rest more or whatever. Medical kit is still there, the fridge has food you're probably not willing to eat, yadda yadda yadda. But if you do stay in here, for the love of god, keep your hands off my desk and the files on it. The rest of the file cabinet is open for you viewing pleasure, just not the files out of it. Toodles!"

He wasn't staying cooped up any longer. After a bit of convincing himself not to be freaked out, he was sure he could now go and get some work done. Lee did investigating on his own, so now it was Austin's turn to step up to the non-existent plate, even though he completely sucked at sports and that was probably not a good comparison. He dusted off his coat and walked to the door, mentally preparing himself for.....whatever. The outside world. Yes, that worked. Once he got to work, he was sure he'd forget all about this nonsense, and everything would be peachy.

BbVwKrcCYAAQrHb.jpg

Lee blinked at Austin as the male spoke, saying more than once not to go through his files. Slowly, he narrowed his eyes at the retreating back of the other detective as he left, setting his jaw as he did so. God. It wasn't like he was so indecent as to snoop in another's privacy. Lee growled inwardly at the thought and slowly stood to his feet, wincing a bit at the bit of pain that still wasn't numbed from the medicine.

Once Austin had left, Lee stepped around the not-so-neat office. People always said that the state of one's living quarters reflected who a person was. At least, it was what he learned in his psychology course. Stepping around a few loose things on the ground, the detective nodded to himself. He would've been surprised if the office had been neat, given the type of personality Austin had. However, at the same time, it was quite refreshing to the eye. Lee was tired of working with others like himself; neat, organized, calculated. It provided no interesting balance to the work set in front of him.

The detective slowly stepped around the desk, his eyes trailing over the contents without prying. He respected others' privacy, but he couldn't help but be curious as to what the layout of the room was like. Unfortunately, that included desks as well. One of the many habits Lee had was organizing, and he had to stop himself from putting all the scattered pens into one spot on Austin's desk. Sighing, he moved back from around the desk and made his way back to the couch. Despite only having a few hours to sleep, he felt quite rested. Now... all he could do is wait for Austin to come back with any evidence from the investigation.

Austin Gallagher
It was an hour or two before Austin came back, and at that point, it was nightfall. He really didn't expect the other to still be there. Not at all. Actually, what he expected was that Lee had left within minutes of he himself leaving. And he was totally fine with that. It wasn't like they were close partners or anything.

The search had been uneventful. In fact, there had been no search, because some of officers- ones who really, really, really disliked him -stopped him before he could do anything. Filing? They were there. Going to the crime scene? They were there. Talking to the kid? Same issue. He had tried evading them in different manners, but none of them worked, so he was stuck with nothing. Nothing and a whole lot of time wasted.

So he headed back, fast food at hand(extra, too, just in case Lee was there- not that he cared or anything), and scowling. He opened the office door, and set down the bags, before glancing back around to see if Lee WAS there. It was almost night time, so again, he doubted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.