Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"You're doing fine X." Griffin assured him when he stopped him. He needed to get off his leg. He also know knew they would need more food. "I want you to stay with Sam. I need to go hunting. I want the two of you to stay right here. Do not move. If you hear someone hide in the bushes. You have to stay together." Griffin ordered him. "Sam X is in charge. You do what he says unless he forgets the rules then your in charge." He hoped that was clear enough.

Sam looked at X confused. He wondered if the demon understand what his father had said any better than he did. He understand way X was in charge but why was he suppose to take charge if X forgot the rules. Why would the demon forget the rules?

X hadn't felt like he was doing fine. He felt sick with anxiety and fear of hurting the kid. But if simply talking to Sam made him feel ill, Griffin's next statement gave him a heart attack. "Y- you're leaving?" He asked incredulously, trembling slightly. "No! No you can't leave!" He'd just gotten his son back. There was no way in hell he'd leave him behind like this. Griffin most definitely had to have plans of coming back. But plans changed, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. "What if you get hurt? What if you don't come back? What if poachers take Sam again?" He hoped the last statement would be enough to change Griffin's mind, and to make him stay.

Griffin knelt awkwardly. "X I have to hunt. We need food. There is a small chance that I will be hurt but I have hunted many times with being hurt. There is no reason for this to be any better. I will be back as quickly as possible. The poacher are no where close. They don't know where they are going yet. But if they do show up just follow my instructions. Hide. You and Sam are small enough to hide in the bushes. As long was you are quiet and still they should overlook you. If they don't then I will follow you. We have talked about this."

X stomped his foot in aggravation. "We've never talked about this! I don't remember any of it! Y-you might've told the other one, but you never told me." He hated accepting the existence of his other personality, admitting that it was there, dominating some part of his life. But there were times like this when he had to. He paid no mind to Sam, as much as he probably should've. The poor kid was undoubtedly confused and just as scared as he was . Maybe more so, but X wouldn't accept that. In his head, nobody could feel like he did about a particular thing or person. Sam was no exception. "Look in your bag, we still have food!"

"Yes X we do still have food. But not for long. This is a safe place. There is no way know where or when we will find another safe place. Here there is someplace you and Sam can hide until I can come back." Griffin told X. He knew that there was a chance that the demon wouldn't remember their conversations. He didn't really want to go through it again. But he would do if necessary. "I need you to stay here and do as I say. I need you to watch Sam and take care of each other. I need to hunt."

Griffin didn't know if the area was truly safe or not. He had absolutely no way of truly knowing that at all. He could only guess. The demon wanted to argue that whatever was in the bag, he'd eat without complaint. But he couldn't argue that when there was hardly enough for anyone. He was quiet for a moment, struggling to maintain control of his own head. "And you'll be right back?" He questioned, now taking a step back to stand beside Sam.

"I will be back in less than an hour. Do you know how long that was?" Griffin asked. He didn't wait for the answer. He wasn't going to take at chances. He pointed to the sky. "The sun is slightly behind us. I will be back before it the sun was right above the tree." He pointed towards a tree not far from him. "I am not going to be far. I will be ack. You know that I keep my word."

X opened his mouth to speak, but Griffin cut him off before he could answer. He shook his head as the man explained. He was still confused by the whole idea of measuring time with the sun, but he didn't much have time to question it. The demon sighed in defeat and nodded in reluctant acceptance. He didn't want Griffin to go, but it was inevitable, it seemed.

"Ill be back X. You just have to keep an eye on Sam. Stay together. If you see anyone hide in the bushes." Griffin instructed him. He spread his wings and took off.

Sam watched her father leave. "What do we do now?" He asked the demon. He had heard Hus fathers instructions just fine. He even understood most of them. But he want to hear the demon's idea.

X watched Griffin leave as well, and he didn't take his eyes off him until he was fully out of sight, and even then, he was hesitant to look away; as if he'd come back faster if he watched for him. He was struggling to maintain control of his personalities. He wanted to stay himself, for Sam, but he could hardly do it. When the boy spoke up, X hesitantly looked away and sat down beside him. Sam was so short, they were at eye level. "I don't know." He admitted. Sure, he knew to stay put and wait, and to hide if anything came near, but as far as keeping themselves entertained, X hadn't a clue. "I don't want him to be gone. I don't want to be left alone anymore."

"But your not alone. I'm here." Sam agrued. He looked from X to where he had last seen his father. He didn't understand the nervousness. They were fine right? It was only going to take an hour. He looked up at the sun. "Has the sun moved?" He asked. He wasn't sure if it was enough to know where the sun was suppose to be.

X shook his head. Having Sam around was different. He was still alone, even with the kid's presence. But he didn't know how to explain it, ir why he felt that way. "Y-you can't. You're not... you're just too little." Too little to understand, too little to help him. Too little to offer any real comfort. "The sun hasn't moved at all. He just left, he's not coming back yet."

"Daddy says I will always be little. Does that mean I'll be too small forever?" Sam asked concernrd. He didn't want to be too little to do everything for the rest of his life. That didn't seem far. He wanted to be bug like she's dad. He looked up again. He knew it had been long since Hus father left. But it felt like forever. He didn't like being without simeine big. X was bigger than he was but not as big as his dad. He wasn't sure that the demon would be able to finght if the need arose.

"To hell if I know!" X grumbled. It didn't matter to him whether Sam grew as big as his dad. He'd always be younger than him, so it didn't matter. "You'll get older." He explained a little, "But you might not get big." The demon crossed his arms in aggravation. He just wants d Griffin back. He felt uncomfortable being left alone with Sam. He couldn't look to the man for reassurance that everything was okay. Under his own judgment, everything was awful; someone was out to get them, Sam hated him and could easily decide whether he stayed or went back to a market, and Griffin could decide to never come back. He was terrified by his own poorly made judgements. "... You won't... won't ket Griffin get rid of me, will you?"

"No X. I wont let my dad get rid of you." Sam made the promise easily. He didn't think that his father would want to get ride of the demon. After all who would stay with him if X wasn't here. He didn't want to be alone. He thought that the demon was over reacting. His dad seemed to like X well enough. He had never yelled at the demon despite all the rude things he had said or all the mistakes he had made. Nor had his father punished X in anyway so what was the demon worried about?

The demon sighed in relief, feeling a little better about Sam. Perhaps the kid wasn't so bad. Maybe they would get along well after all. X offered the boy a shy smile, partially exposing sharp teeth. He rubbed the back of his neck before he said, "A lot of people don't like me. Not very many people want to keep me around..." He shook his head, then changed the subject. "How old are you?" He asked. While he couldn't count, certainly not very well, he remembered a few numbers from the time before Griffin left to find Sam. He figured he could count those on hand, if Sam was as young as Griffin made him out to be.

"I like you." Sam told him honestly. He was happy to have someone with him. "I am almost six. Daddy says I can go to school soon. Daddy didn't go to school so he wants me to. I wonder if they have a school in the new place we are going. Do you think they have a school?" He asked curiously. He sat on the ground and began drawing in the dirt. He loved to draw. He drew his father first. He knew that his father hadn't been gone long be he still missed him. He hoped he would be back soon. "Did you go to school?"

X was surprised by the boy's response. "Y-you do?" he didn't understand why the boy -why anyone for that matter- found him likeable. "What do you like about me?" He asked quickly, almost accusingly, acalling the kid out on a bluff. When Sam told him how old he was, the demon tried to count to six. He unintentionally spoke outloud as he counted on his fingers, repeating random numbers that he knew. "One...two? S-seven. Five..." He didn't know what the number 'almost six' was. "Are you sure? I don't think that's a number." X furrowed his brows in confusion, convinced now that Sam didn't know what he was talking about. It was evidence in itself that he'd never been to school. Even more incriminating was the question that followed. "What the hell is 'school'?" He asked, suddenly aggravated with him. Sam had to have been making fun of him now. Telling him numbers that weren't real, making up weird words... "You're mocking me! Aren't you?!"

• Love
Reactions: KatherinWinter
Sam giggled at 's attempt at counting. He thought that the demon was trying to be silly. He took X's hand into his claw. He picked up the demon's scarred little fingers and counting. "One, two, three, four, five, six. I will be six soon. School is.. Well dad says its a place where you learn things like numbers and letters." Tears filled Sam's eyes as X yelled at him. "Why are you being mean?"

X hated that mocking laughter. Sam was making fun of him, laughing because he wasn't smart. He bristled when the boy took his hand and counted for him. The demon ripped his hand away and bared his teeth at the child. "Don't laugh at me! I'm not being mean; you're mocking me!" He hissed. "You're making fun of me! "

Status
Not open for further replies.