Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin nodded. "Than I needed you to watch Sam tomorrow while I go hunting. Sam and I can eat berries and nuts but you need meat. Want the two of you gather whatever eatable plants you can while I go hunting." It essnt the perfect plan and truthfully he didn't like it at all but he didn't have a lot of choices. This was the most practical solution he could think of.

X didn't like hearing that. Watching Sam was no big deal. He knew he and the boy would have to get along, so being with him didn't bother him. It was being with him while Griffin was not around that scared him. And he made sure to make his fears known. "What if you don't come back? What if we get lost? What if Sam runs away looking for you, and I can't find him? What if poachers find us?" He hugged Griffin a little tighter with each worried question, too scared to let him go.

"Those are good questions X. I can't say that I can answer them all. Uunless something happens like another hunter's trap I'll came back. If you stay where I put you you won't get lost. But if you do I have a good sense of smell. I'll find you. If your nice to Sam he shouldn't run off. But if he does I'll find him. If anyone finds you while I'm gone you and Sam run. I'll find you. With my wings hunting shouldn't take long.

X bit his lip and sniffled. While most answers were reassuring, the demon was still scared. What if Griffin couldn't find them? What if Griffin got captured for good, and would never come for them? The wheels in his brain were visibly turning, and the stress was clearly visible on his face. He wanted to cry again thinking about it. "Will you promise you'll come back?"

"I will promise to do my best to come back to you X. I can promise that in will never leave you and Sam of my own free will." Griffin assured him. He wanted the demon to feel as confident as possible. "I promise to go hunting only when necessary. I will promise to never go outside of hearing range."

The demon's whimpering came to a stop shortly after Griffin made his promises, and with the thoughts still fresh on his mind, X went to sleep, just like Sam. His head rested in the older man's lap, and he had his arms wrapped about him, as if the man would disappear if he let go. He slept restfully, without dreaming. When he woke the next morning, the demon was confused to have found himself laying as close to Griffin as he was, and it made him a tad uncomfortable. But he didn't complain- because the warmth radiating off the man was nice, and he appreciated the closeness a lot more than he wanted to admit.

Griffin woke to the sound of whimpering. It took him a minute to figure out that it was Sam having a bad dream. "Shh...It's ok Sam. Daddy is here. The bad men cant hurt you anymore." He gently rocked his son in his arms. He opened his eye to find X laying on his lap. He didn't mind in fact he was glad that the demon was relaxing alittle. He didn't want to wake Sam just yet. So as quietly as he could he asked. "You hungry X?"

X didn't pull away when he heard Sam's whimpering. Not at first. He hadn't expected Griffin to wake up so soon. It was such a slight sound, something he'd grown so used to, having lived in and out of slave markets. But he jerked away from Griffin when he heard his name, and realized that he was awake. His cheeks were flushed red in embarrassment, from being caught resting his head on the man's lap. X didn't look Griffin in the eyes when he answered, "Yes." He didn't try to stammer an apology, but the demon did feel the need to explain himself. "I was cold. I didn't mean anything by it." He spoke sternly, briefly looking up to meet Griffin's gaze

"I don't X. I didn't think that you meant anything. It was cold. Soon we will have a warm house and beds." Griffin told him. He never consider that the demon had meant anything by sleeping on his lap. He smiled when he saw Sam's eyes open. His son blinked at him with eyes blurry from sleep. "Morning Sam. Are you ready for breakfast?" Griffin reached for the bag and began digging out food. He handed X a fish first.

X scooted away, just a little further. While Griffin understood the whole thing was innocent, the demon couldn't wrap his head around the idea that the other man saw that. He was still embarrassed, thinking Griffin took the contact as something else, despite having absolutely no reason to do so. "Y-yeah." X took his food without word or hesitation. He ate his food slower than normal, however, deciding that it was safe to actually take his time and eat. He was more concerned with Sam, eyeing the boy as he woke up and watching him interact with his father. It was both saddening and fascinating to watch. Everything about their interaction was kind and pleasant, and loving in general. Jealous as it made him that he never had something like that, X couldn't help but feel happy for the boy.

Griffin handed Sam a fish next. He took care of X first because he jpknew the demon would need reassurance that he was still important to him despite the fact that he had his son back. Once his children were taken care of Griffin pulled out some fruit for himself.

X didn't much remember the conversation he and Griffin had last night. Letting the man leave to go hunt would be a struggle, as it would always be. He finished his food after a bit, and he watched the other two eat. It struck him odd that there was enough food to go around. He never quite paid attention before, but he realized now that there was just enough for the three of them. It was a nice realization.

Sam wanted down as soon as he was done eating. He didn't mind his father holding him. But he thought that he was getting too old to allow it to happen for too long. He cautiously approached the creature that was with his father. He was an odd being he had never seen anything like X.

Griffin stood to his feet as soon as he finished his breakfast. He swung the pack over his shoulder. "Alright. Now that we have eaten lets get started. I want to cover as many miles as possible today."

X scowled at Sam when the boy wouldn't quit staring at him. Little kid or not, it made the demon uncomfortable to have someone watching him so curiously. He felt like weird, like a freak. "What are you staring at me like that for? Haven't you seen a demon before?" He asked him. His head turned when Griffin spoke up and he quickly followed the man's lead. X grabbed his blanket and waded it into a ball before placing it in Griffin's bag. To Griffin, X asked, "How long will it take us to get where we're going?"

Sam shook his head. He had never seen a demon. Not that he knew what X was he was even more curious. But he didn't want the creature mad at him. So he turned his attention to his father, for now. He wanted to know where they were going and how long it would take to get there too.

Griffin shrugged. "I don't know for sure X. It depends on how far we can travel in a day. I am going to guess that it will take us atleast a couple of weeks. From what the healer told me this kingdom is some distance away."

X groaned and whined. Weeks. He didn't have to count to know it was a long time. "Let's get going then." He sighed, after getting over himself. He kept close to Griffin, and walked beside Sam. He looked down at the boy every so often as they walked, staring at him the way he'd been stared at earlier. He didn't have the nerve to say anything to him. He didn't know what there was to say. But still, curiosity got the better of him, and after looking at Griffin, seemingly wrapped up in leading the way, X spoke up. "Sorry if I um. If I said anything mean to you. Or-or if I say anything mean."

Sam smiled and shook his head. "You haven't been mean. You were just scared too." He didn't think the X had scared him on purpose. He had only met a couple of people had been purposely been mean to him. Most people seem to like him. He figure that X would to once he got to know him.

Griffin ignored X's groan. He wasn't looking forward to the long walk either but they didn't have much choice in the matter. They needed to get to the kingdom so that they could all be safe. He watched the other two out of the corner of his eye.

X couldn't figure out why Sam's response made him so releived or happy. But it did and that was about all that mattered from it. It felt good to know he hadn't hurt the one thing that was truly important to Griffin. So on some level, X knew he was making Griffin happy, if Sam liked him. But that didn't mean he had to like Sam. Still, the more X looked at him, he couldn't deny there was something innately likeable about the boy. "Yeah." He agreed, though he didn't have any recollection of anything he did or said. "I was just scared." And it wasn't a lie. The demon fell silent after that, having nothing else to say to the boy. He felt weird talking to him witg Griffin watching, as if the man was waiting for him to mess up and say something that'd hurt his boy.

Once Griffin assured himself that his two chares were getting along, if only for the moment, he turned his attention to the road. They would follow the road except when it went through a illsge. He would hunt when they needed fresh food. It was a plan. OE that should see them to freedom.

Sam smiled at the demon. He was very curious about X. He want to understand wsythe demon acted so different "Thank you for helping my dad. He says your going to stay with us."

X looked to Griffin for reassurance, for some sign that he wasn't failing miserably at talking to Sam. He hadn't made the boy cry, but he was anxious nonetheless. One wrong word, and he could send the child into a fit of hysterics, and ultimately ruin whatever hopes of acceptance he had with Griffin. That was how he saw things. The demon looked back at Sam, when Griffin offered nothing, and he frowned. "I didn't help him. I just... I got in his way." He admitted truthfully. He didn't have to know anything that he said or did to belive that he was an annoyance to Griffin at best. An annoyance that was just another mouth to feed- one that got in the way of finding his son, his real kid. X frowned. "I will if he wants me to... He might change his mind. I'm not good company."

Status
Not open for further replies.