Remnants

image.php

(Without eye-patch)​
Kyoki walked around the deserted town with his attachable machine gun hooked around his left arm, his revolver on his belt with a katana slung on his back. His black leather combat boots snapped some ancient bones as he walked, his leather jacket covering his neck mouth and reaching his knees. The ruined town creaked and moaned with the old rusty metal roofs shifting with age as he walked on, his dull blue eyes scanning his whereabouts, the attachable machine gun was loaded and battle ready for anything or anyone who wanted to pick a fight. The sky was a dark and dull grey above, the air stiff and stale. Kyoki let out a loud sigh of boredom, his gloved hands twitching slightly.​

Sunset heard other footsteps outside, praying that it wasn't another mutated beast. She curled back up in the corner, trying to conceal her luminescence as much as possible. Her golden eyes flicked to the entrance, trying to remain calm.

Kyoki stopped walking abruptly, his breathing soft and slow as he concentrated. He could sense someone nearby, perhaps other people as well, he wasn't sure. There was a cave a few steps away, his gaze flicking towards it as he took a step forward. Whoever it was, he hoped they knew he meant no harm, though his looks often made people think of the opposite. As Kyoki reached the entrance, only his torso and legs were visible, his 6'10 height hiding his face with the top of the cave entrance. His arm with the attachable machine gun hung lazily at his side, the revolver visible on his belt. The black leather boots were covered in white dust, the bottoms caked in mud. Kyoki leaned down, his face now visible to those in the cave. "Greetings.." His voice was rather raspy and deep, his blue eyes hauntingly empty.

(Just a heads up to anyone joining or recently joined, there's the tail end of a rad storm happening.)
Sat in the basement opposite the woman and the little girl, Scott Maskimov took some magazines of ammo out of his rucksack and unclipped the current magazine out of his Kalashnikov assualt rifle. Loading the empty magazine with bullets, he attached a few to his bandolier underneath his jacket, having once again done up the long trench coat. It had been a long time since he'd used this gun against a person. He was getting rusty. He'd just have to hope that if any of the people roaming around here he could stay neutral. But if it came down to it, he could fight. With fist or with bullets, no matter.

Zero looked around the small room, then glances to Scott across from her, watching as he reloaded his gun with bullets. Zero was never a gun person. Frankly, despite her bad experiences with them, she preferred blades weapons. They suited her. She just couldn't get her hands on any that she liked. She leaned her head against the wall. "So, since we have to sit here together for a while, what's your story? I don't care if you make it up or not, I just don't like silence. I'm not use to it.". She said, which was true. There were always noises back at The Institue. Since she rarely needed sleep, she assumes she would have gone mad if she had to sit in silence for several nights. She glanced at his bag, curious of what's in it but let the curiosity drop rather quickly.

Sunset's eyes peered up at the man, still nervous, especially with her experience with people earlier today. There were no words for the relief she felt realizing it wasn't another beast. Despite her attempts to remain calm, she still glowed slightly with her nervousness, the red speckles giving off a soft light.

"My story?" Scott replied to Zero. He didn't really have much of a story according to him, but it was better than nothing. "My story, well... I used to be Russian military. Spetsnaz. We went through a lot of training, that's really how I defended myself when it all kicked off. And after the initial stuff, as well. I'd lived in Russia most of my life, but we left for here on some kind of secret black ops type mission when it happened. That feels like long ago now, I can barely remember the details. We weren't really told much either, some vague details about a facility, we were supposed to break in, shut down the experiments they were doing there. But when it all happened, we were too late. Most of the people they had in there had escaped and by the time we were there the people in charge were dead. I never really understood what I saw that day. I think it was called something like the... Assosciation? No, no I remember now. It was The Institute. Let's just hope none of the fucked up test subjects never find us, eh?"

Zero blinked and stirred uncomfortable as he told her. She knew what had happened there, of course. She flinched slightly as he ended his story and turned her head away. She glanced down at Twelve, pulling her blanket up a little more mostly so she had something to do. She regretted asking him, since she now knew how he felt about them. But she was slightly relieved knowing they were going to get help. "Did you ever see what the test subjects looked like..? Surely they weren't all that bad." She asked without looking back at Scott. She thought back, remembering the subjects that had been around as long as she. None of them were that bad. Sure, some had rotten attitudes and let there anger out on other subjects. In fact, she was one of those sour subjects before put in solitude, but they had good reason to be the way they were. Zero eventually glanced at Scott, but only briefly before looking back at Twelve.

Scott, unaware that he had struck a nerve, answered Zero's question. "What they looked like? Well, most looked human. Most. And quite a few of them had scars, cuts and bruises. They scared me at the time, but looking back on it I sort of feel like we should've helped them. God knows how many of the poor bastards rotted in the radiation... Or they could have mutated, you know, more than they already had." Scott shuddered at the memory of some of the worse cases of extreme experimentation. Looking at Zero, Scott added in his Russian voice "And they had a lot of tattoos, sort of like-" He stopped himself, likening Zero's tatoos to the ones on the test subjects that had escaped. Not sure if she had heard him, Scott casually loaded up his Kalashnikov, taking care in being quiter. He grasped it in his hands, waiting for her next move.

Zero looked at him, watching as he loaded up his gun. She debated on her move. Her first instinct was to run out with Twelve to make sure she would not get harmed in any fight that could end up happening, but honestly Zero was to tired to fight. She was exauhsted from walking, from fighting, from anything. She just wanted to sit. So, she scooted so she was in front of Twelve and she laid down, rolling over so her back faced Scott. She didn't want to talk anymore. She knew he figured it out on his own, having caught his unfinished scentence. She wasn't tired in the sense she wanted to sleep, but Scott didn't know that. So she could pretend to sleep, just so she would have an excuse to have it be silent, even though she dreaded it. She regretted trying to start a conversation. She curled her body around the little girls, one arm wrapping around the kid while she used the other as a sort of pillow for herself. She kept her back to Scott and worked on slowing her breathing.

Having finished loading his gun, Scott watched as Zero curled up around the little girl and seemed to fall asleep. Questions raced through his head: was she hostile? Did she have a weapon hidden somewhere? Had she heard him finish his sentence? He was getting tired. He lay his head against the wall, trying not to worry. Night was falling outside and the storm was raging on. Shutting his eyes slowly and relaxing slowly, Scott fell asleep with his eyes trained on the tall, slim figure of the woman called Zero.

Kyoki blinked at her, noticing the nervousness almost immediately. "No need to burst with anxiety m'lady." Kyoki was always one of a gentleman, yet is also known to come off as rude or stern. "Mind if I step in? There seems to be a storm coming, and we all know how those go." He flicked his gaze to look around the dark cave, the stone walls making it quite cold inside. He then returned his dull eyes to look at the female in front of him, tilting his head and smiling some, though his leather jacket covered his mouth.

Zero stayed still till she was sure Scott was asleep, then stood up. She couldnt stand laying still in one place for long. She turned and made her way up the stairs silently. Once upstairs, she began searching the shelves for anything useful. She found some beef jerky not yet past it's experation date, some canned peas and fruits, and she found a bottle of whiskey she could try. She hadn't had some, and since she was am adult she might as well drink some as a right of passage eventually, right? She set the items on the counter, turning and leaning against it so she could watch the discolored radiation filled rain fall to the ground or splatter the windows with it's ugly colors. It had an awful gray like coloring to it that stained. She sat down, plucking the whiskey from it's perch and opened tthe bottle, sniffing it an frowning. She didn't care for the smell all that much. She took a sip and recoiled at the way it felt going down, but by the second and third sip she had gotten use to it.

She slowly peeked out of her jacket, timid, but slowly calming down. "No, I-I don't mind..." Her glow dimmed slightly, but still lit up her features and the immediate area around her. She didn't seem to be struggling with staying warm, but just the fact that she glowed made her cover up often to try not to attract unwanted attention from beasts nearby

Kyoki nodded "Ah, thank you." He stepped inside, having to duck his head, and sat down leaning against the stone wall. "How long have you been in here?" His eyes wondered around again, his growing curiosity leaving him restless. He detached his machine gun from his arm and placed it beside him, along with his revolver and katana. They laid in a heap beside him while his long arm rest on top. The rain had just began to fall, the dull grayness of it all leaving a bitter taste in his mouth as he stared out to watch the grey drops splatter on the lifeless soil. Kyoki tilted his head to listen to the rumble of thunder above, the cave quivering under their feet.

She jumped slightly at the thunder, just curling up more. "Only a few hours," she answered timidly. The storms always made her nervous because she needed sunlight to live. She could stand the time between sundown and sunrise by "hibernating," but it was still an unpleasant experience.

Kyoki nodded, sensing her nervousness but deciding not to intrude. He let out a soft sigh and closed his eyes, the leather jacket keeping him warm from the cold stone. "What is your name, m'lady?" his voice was a bit muffled due to the jacket, and held a slight tiredness to it. Thunder rumbled above once again, this time with a little more force then before, the whole cave vibrating. Kyoki chuckled to himself as a memory of many years ago popped into his mind. "What a klutz." he murmured to himself, the memory vivid in his mind.

"S-sunset," she answered, just before hearing the clash of the thunder. She squealed and buried her face in her jacket, her glow flashing brightly at the frightening sound. It slowly faded as she tried to calm herself, to get over the panic.

She walks out of her tree and begins sprinting toward the basement summer is in. " might as well get secured." She flips and just when the first drop of acidic rain hisses as it touches the ground ahe tumbles in the basement. "Wohoooo cut that one close." She laughs a bit before sitting down getting confortable.

Kyoki opened his eyes to look at her "What a lovely name you have m'lady." Kyoki smiled, the smile reaching his eyes. "I am Kyoki. A pleasure to meet you ma'dam." He reached out his gloved and rather large hand, due to his tallness, for a shake while leaning forward a bit. "And my my, you seem very tense. Is something the matter?" His raspy voice held a warm tone to it, his proper and formal speaking sliding off his tongue with ease.