Remnants of the World

"I don't know lady, I think you're trying to trick us." You could tell this guy hayed people from the lower class. "Now if you're willing to give a little more I'd get you in, really good." The man began making kissing faces at you then looked at the others then laughed.

Kieara glared and twitched her fingertips parting the men with her magic and plucked her papers from their hands. "Thank you." and with that she was on her way.

The guards stumbled backwards and you walked past them. As you walked you noticed a small beggar on the side of the road. He wore a long black coat with a small leather cap. The sign next to him says, "feed the hungry."

Kieara frowned a bit seeing him. She kneeled next to the beggar and placed the last five trents that were entirely hers in his hand and smiled. "Sorry I couldn't give more." She spoke and straightened.

The man smiled and nodded. "Thank you madam. In return I suggest you put your money on the elf. He has a couple of tricks up his sleeve." The man got up took his sign then left. You continued on until you were by the arena. The area you were in was just living quarters which was close enough to see the castle. She had only seen the castle once or twice this close because she never really came to the rich district. Only the rich did things in the rich district. The only other times she had come was during the harvest festival, and when a friend became knight. She walked casually until she got to the front of the arena. There was a long table with many men with sacks of trents in their hands. On one half was people betting on the general and the other half was on the elf. Who were you going to bet on?

Kieara thought for a long moment, then she prayed that her rooting for the underdog would pay off. She walked to the table. "90 trents on the elf." she said offering the money to them. She glanced out over the arena. She didn't like the feeling this place gave off. It made her uncomfortable. Of course, anything that wasn't back home in the slums made her uneasy.

"90 trents aint much kid, maybe you should vote on the horse race!" The ugly fat man cackled as you set the money on the table. "Look I'll make you a deal." He ran his finger under his nose picking up the snot that was hanging from his nose while he said this. "I'll put you in the trophy box, basically if you win you get five times what you win, but if you lose you lose ten times what you had in there." The man set the money in there and wrote something on a card then stuck it in you money pouch. "Now go get a good seat."

This was going to be risky. It would take her weeks to pay off that debt if she lost. She watched the disgusting man then headed off to grab a seat. She took one in a high corner alone where she had a good view, but not many were around. However, there was the open hall behind her where people passed in or out of the arena.

The people in the arena shuffled to their spots and everyone became quiet. Kierara noticed that a rather small man entered the middle of the arena. It wasn't a dwarf, but it was most likely a halfling. "Ladies and Gentlemen, today we shall see the ever so epic fight! Between Lord Terin, the general of the king's guard and Ylisazer Obinal the elf trying to become a general. You know that in most of the realm that most of the other races speak their own language and there was no language that everyone spoke. So the King's English was the only true common. Only the high privileged races could speak this tongue. The two men entered the Arena and looked at each other then bowed. The elf drew a common elven sword with a silver hilt. While the other drew a large great sword that would probably cleave the elf in half.

The little man looked at them and signaled then to fight.

Kieara frowned. She hated violence. She looked around for her client while the fight was going on and began trying to find him so that she could give him the spyglass he wanted to purchase from her. She finally spotted him and came over discreetly and touched his arm.

He turned to her and smiled. "Glad to see you here," he yelled. He pulled out a small pouch of money which was about 20 trents. As you were doing this the battle had started. The elven warrior was losing against the might of the broadsword. It was obvious he was going to lose. Then in the midst of battle the elf did something. When it seemed that he was in front of him then he was behind him with a knife to his throat. The general dropped his weapon then got down on one knee presenting him with his great sword. How had he done it? She thought that he may have used magic, or was he just that cunning. Now she had to get some money.

Kieara smiled and took the bag of trents slipping it into her pouch and she slipped him a spyglass. "There you are." she said with a smile. "Thanks for the business, today hasn't been great for it." And with that she headed back to the gambling station to claim her money. She took out her ticket and walked up to the stand. "I'll be taking my money thank you." she said with a smirk.

The ugly man grunted and handed you five times what she originally put in. So you have 450 trents, but she had to split that with John back at the gambling house. All together she now had 245 trents from her winnings. That's quite a sum for just one day out. She headed back to the lower district seeing no guards at any of the gates. It was either patrol time, or they were claiming their winning back at the Arena. Once she got back she saw John laying asleep with a paper in his hand. Nothing was really going on since it was going to be night soon. John grumbled and almost fell out of his chair then he turned toward Kieara.

((Is ther eany way I can progress this along? I'm not trying to be rude, it is just one of my pet peeves is having my character power played))

Kieara watched John and spoke. "Well, we won. Here's your cut." She said placing his money onto the table with a smile. "There's 245 trents there." she spoke to him. She patted his shoulder. "Do yourself a favor and get some rest." She said and headed back to her home. Dark was falling by now, but the streets were so empty she wasn't worried and she let her guard down.

((Since this is collaborative writing you should add your own stuff to the world. People that you have met, places, etc. I makes your posts longer and it make story, so add what you wish))

As she approached her house a man stood in front of it with a large staff and a black cloak over him. "Miss Kieara, we need to speak with you." The man stepped forward toward you with staff in hand. He offered his hand out to you waiting for you to grab it. "Come with me, I only ask that I may ask you some questions. The man's pendant on his chest was an insignia from the Royal Army. Maybe she shouldn't go with him.

((ok I just didn't want to mess up your world. XD ))

Kieara frowned upon seeing the man. However, due to the curse on her, she couldn't back down to an order, even if it wasn't meant as ones. His words "come with me." Had enforced an order. Her pendant glowed for a split second, then against her will, she took the mans hand.

The man lead her to the royal district. Within Hulimar there were six districts. The original three were Poor, Fair, and Rich. The three others were the Monastery district, Royal district, and the Tyron district. The Tyron district was the outlying regions beyond the walls. Such as the farms, the forest, and the two towns Gorge, and Twillith. Gorge was a mining town which was the main mining town of the region. There were two smaller ones but they hadn't become as big as Gorge. Twilith was a farming town, you could consider it "hickville." The people there were hard working individuals who wore overalls and straw hats. There once was a time when Gorge and Twillith were going to combine but then it was canceled because the trade routes would change drastically. Overall the only districts that most people worry about are the original four. Those are Poor, Fair, Rich, and Royal. Those were the ones included in the city.

As she was lead into the royal district all of the guards let the man pass by. He was like some sort of high power, or he was a noble. Either way she knew that this was bad. The black robed man soon brought her to the castle. No one had gone into the castle from the other districts. Only royals were allowed into the castle. It was like going into a prison, or catacombs. It was dead silent as she walked in. The man lead her past the throne room until they were in a small room. It had velvet floors, books, and a couple of chairs. In those chairs was a dwarf and an elf. The man sat her in a seat the leaned up against the wall. "So, how did you know to bet on the elf?"

Rage filled her. These injust fools were going to question her about betting? She was getting tired of the discrimination around here, and was about to blow her top. When one got her riled up, it also became hard to shut her up. "What the hell do you mean how'd we know to bet on the elf?" She spoke. "I don't know about these two, but i've always been one to root for an underdog." She said to the man. "And who be you to claim that it was a rigged match when we don't even know each other!" She said to him. "I don't usually poke my head out of my district."

"No one else betted on the elf, no one." The man circled around the small group staring at the elf specifically. "Look, many of you got back a large amount." The man stood behind the elf and put his hands on his shoulders. The elf shrunk and looked like a rat, he knew something. "This man gained 1600 trents. The dwarf got 2000 trents, and you got 900 trents. All of that is a great sum of money." The man began circling the group again still staring at the rat. "So why did you bet on the elf?"

Kieara leaned back in her chair crossing her arms. "Well, you heard my explanation." She said to him. "And I got back no 900 I only got 450. I was betting for me and a friend, and I had to split it down the middle with him." She said.