Plot Discussion (Chapter 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you collaborate to hijack and take your time to ask the other... why don't just let the other person to whatever she wants?

Collabs are a stop-gap solution. When you paste many posts together into a collab, yes, it is one scene, but on a read through you will notice that it feels disjointed, because the main problem hasn't gone away: waiting for approval. You wait for someone to dodge your sword, you ask if it's okay, you recap the other person's post. There is a lot of redundancy and overlap.

In contrast, I'm not saying my scenes are particularly good, but they at least they flow. I gave a disclaimer about this in the character sheet. Your contributions to ilium will (should) largely take the form of scenes. Yes, for the most part they will revolve around your character. But you should know that the story moves along the smoothest when we plan here and we work together to write scenes.

For example, the list I gave a page back is supposed to serve as a guideline for the next person who wants to move us through the ocean deeps to the floor. You can start off by dropping light references to actions if you can't comfortably do dialogue.

Let's say Lemuel is going down. @Avabel Brioche is writing. He tells us about his feelings and discomfort. He looks to his left and tries to see Hope in the crushing darkness. He finally finds her. They nod to each other. Hope offers some words of encouragement. He looks back down. The minutes pass by. Then, at last, the floor looms in front of them, all at once. Avabel has hijacked, but in a way that moves the scene fluidly.

Another important part is writing about setting. The setting you describe is coloured by your character's perception of it. The way I describe the sea bed is different from how Hope sees it. Maybe she knows what to expect. Maybe she sees opportunity when Tem instead just sees nightmares. Settings are more than half of the scene!

A second piece you can start to add in, when you are getting accustomed, are small stories. Connecting setting with personal stories reveals things about your character and contributes to the setting - it's a win-win! Reference this post by Snowday. Writing about your character's reactions to unusual situations tells us about them. Remember, conflict is growth.

well, that's a very good and interesting approach, and now i see why this thread exist.
OK, i've lost a little fear to hijacking, and i'll try it in my next post. and... well, let's see how it turns out (don't hate me if i get it all to go to hell).

Just a couple questions:
-Why don't you write an article about hijacking? it would be helpful!
-can the dead bodies rise?
-could there be a race of deep sea-animas?
-could there be a necromancer trying to rise the bodies?
-are those bodies the "gods" or something else?

- Maybe.

- Dead things stay dead. Which implies some of the things down there aren't dead.

- There's no reason not to have weird things down there.

- No necromancers (see rules)

- They probably are.

Warning: Super sorry I have not posted yet. I've been planning to ... but between supporting my wife as she starts to go back to work, moving modpacks on my server, and getting my new kitty tomorrow (!), I've been struggling to find time. I definitely intend on posting though! Just hope my "apparent" absence isn't an issue. ^.^

• Thank You
Reactions: unanun
So in part due to crappy sleep and mostly dreaming about the seabed sequence, I just about know what I'll do. Hope and Lemuel, if you want to join poor wittle Tem on the seabed, now's your time. @Lithël Aelfwine @Avabel Brioche

I'll reply in a bit.~

For clarification: Collabs aren't always a bunch of posts pinned together.

Take some of my previous collabs with @Requiem for example.

One of us will write out the entire scene, or most of it, and send it to the other. The collab partner(s) will then make changes as needed, flesh out details, or sometimes extend the scene so that it ends at a better point.

Using this method all parties still have a say in what happens, but it usually takes only one or two messages to get an entire post.

Writing a collab this way is faster and smoother than waiting on a bunch of back and forth IC, but at the same time it does take more time than a hijacking and the voice of the post may alter slightly depending on who wrote what part.

Arigato. So long as I have access to a computer that makes writing such long replies easy (rather than doing it all on my phone like I usually do), replies will continue to have such quality.~

One thing, which I'll clarify in a coming post: the bottom of the sea is more like a mass graveyard than buried city.

There wouldn't be remnants?

The Sea is more of a crater + final resting place for the thousands of Old Gods that poured out of the sky in the Cataclysm. It is possible that their fantastic and unknowable implements involved buildings and dwellings, so that's why your post is still good.

So, we're implying that some of their buildings also fell during the Cataclysm?

It was a pretty chaotic time.

I wouldn't say it's farfetched if they did. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.