Plot Discussion (Chapter 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: 2 people
If you guys have been planning and know what will happen, it is also sensible to hijack as long as you do it carefully. It's up to you to decide whether you've waited long enough or not.

Is a lot going to be changed in Lynzy's post? If so I will hold off on mine until it is all done, I just don't want to post something contradictory.

What say you @Kriodine? Up for a little friendly conversation?

@Tone 6th & @Kriodine - it saddens me that the Czar has suddenly walked off.

@lynzy - don't replace curse words with symbols. That's even more jarring than saying the actual words. Also, why are the villagers dancing? What exactly are they celebrating right now? Did they find some fried chicken in the forest? Medwick would not run after children with his bad knee. And the post is still humiliating.

@Everyone - It seems I cannot win here. When you hijack, it makes no sense. When you don't hijack it makes so sense. When I encourage initiative you are paralyzed by doubt. When I don't encourage initiative the story atrophies. I pummel you, again and again, with speeches and still the GMs are left doing the majority of the work. And when I scoop you all up it no longer becomes your story, but just me writing a clunky novel.

I despair for the current state of roleplaying. And there is nothing I can say to make things better, because every instruction is twisted to a new failure.

It is best for everyone right now that I take the weekend off. Maybe longer.

The Divine Weapons are sitting there, waiting for you, at the end of these plot lines. I am willing to give them to you. I never intended anything else. But if all you are doing is trying to find special snowflake conversations for your special snowflake characters, then you will be left behind. This story is supposed to raise fundamental questions about you and your lives and how you deal with the pains you have suffered. Life is complicated. Ilium is complicated. It is not going be a perfect story of these great characters who chatted about stuff. It is going to be a story of damaged people doing damaged things.

Stories begin at the moment something goes wrong. So do characters. Force them to do things that they would not normally do.

Have Ilium mean something. Don't let all this work be for nothing.

And there we are again - another rant that will be misinterpreted.

I'll see you all in a few days.

@Asmo I am sorry but to accomplish the scene that me and Tone wanted the Czar could not be there. I am plan on bringing the Czar back for another scene I have in mind.

Asmo, thanks for the post.

I know you probably won't see this until much later. For me personally, because I knew the scope of Ilium, and the amount of time it would last for, I was hesitant to begin seeking the Divine Weapons so soon. My hesitance is from not wanting to obtain too much too soon. I'm sure some others share my sentiments, but I just wanted to voice my own concern because my impression was that the Divine Weapons would be kind of mid-to-end-game.

There is a large Ilium Skype chat currently going on that has been for several days that spans players from all three nations and we've been discussing how to proceed with it.

Again, anyone who would LIKE to be involved please post your Skype handle. While we do and can get sidetracked (naturally), the conversation has been mostly about Ilium.

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
Friends, despite what I said earlier ilium is not actually DnD style. In DnD you have a dungeon master who controls your story. You play a single character and every time you do an action, you have to ask the DM / roll a dice. We're trying to move you away from that.

Ilium is collaborative story writing, which means that you are your own DMs. You are not just your character: you are an omnipotent writer who sits above their character and creates scenes and trials for them to follow through with and grow. The GMs are a level higher, we are the DnD guide books that give you ideas for stories and appropriate rewards for finishing quests.

Analogies aside, we're giving you freedom .. to use responsibly. Ilium is an amazing story but it is not a sandbox. We have plots and provoking questions we want to ask you. You have a lot of freedom within the small bits we give you, but if you start going off and doing your own thing we all just get confused. We're writing a book, and it has to be focused on some level, we're not playing a MMO where you're free to do whatever you want.

Reactions: Wolfsin
Hey all,

Let's take a step back and breathe. I know (from personal past experience) that being in a roleplay like Ilium can be kinda stressful. Ask Asmo about the player I USED to be some eight years ago (if he remembers who I am) and you'll find I was much the same. Took me a bit to take that initiative moving characters that were not my own to make more fluid scenes and dialogue.

Confession: I am STILL a little nervous doing it.

As Asmo mentioned, the trick is to understand the language of the scene and its relation to the plot. Where is this scene going? What is it accomplishing? If you have not revealed any new fact to the reader, the scene is largely pointless. Scenes and posts are made to advance a plot from its current position. If you find yourself posting reactions, look for more...what does this event mean to your character largely and overall? What will it change? How will their actions be different?

Be heroic! Don't go over the top but consider the finer forms of storyweaving. Yes, we love watching the hero mow down villains with sword, gun, or hulk-fists. Action sequences are awesome! But isn't it more compelling when the hero has to struggle to get there? Lend struggle to your characters. Get them injured, make them call for help. No character can be an island. Rather than thinking about what your character needs to do in a story specifically, think about what your character and the characters AROUND him/her can do.

The trick in hijacking is paying homage and paying attention. See how the character talked, see their goals. You are a storyteller, cast them in your scene and watch it play out.

I personally know how stressful that can be, so we won't force you to do it...just consider that this is a fun collaborative story we all are eager to see the next chapter of. We are not in competition, we are on the same team. Let's work together and make stuff awesomer.

I'm happy to talk with any player that feels their way is a little lost. Unanun and Diana, of course, are likewise available to help. Unanun has a bead on the story pretty much everywhere and Diana has boats and boats of experience making stories work and being especially good with character plots.

I have faith in you all and am more than willing to help you become more confident in the framework of this roleplay.

/end repetitive dead-horse-beating

Just wanted to say I haven't decided to up and quit or anything like that... Just a lot of rl stuff going down right now. Life needs to take itself to a dark corner and fornicate with itself and leave me the hell alone, hahaha...

My apologies to Asmodeus and Tegan for lack of posting and presence right now...

@fatalrendezvous
I would like to participate in the Skype discussion, my username is; iMomo-Chan

IRL stuff happened for me probably wont get any posts up this weekend at all.
So you barvelle plotters know.

For those in Kaustir, the vampire, er, Nocturne families are starting to show. Here is a brief description of each, courtesy of @Jack Shade

Being a race that feeds on blood, it is central to their respect. By blood life comes and life goes. Ancient Nocturne custom is to share a meal with the bloodletter after drinking, a way to repay the 'time' or life taken. This old custom has almost been forgotten in the modern age, but still shows remnants of observance in particular old families.

DirectBorn- The DirectBorn can trace their bloodline directly to the three Nocturne bloodlines that survived the Cataclysm. Although there is some scholarly conjecture of their purity, those who claim the title of DirectBorn often carry a little more sway in Nocturne society. In a race of the long-lived, those that adhere to old ways of respect, who show their dominance by the very power of perseverance is important.

Houses: Those DirectBorn have the opportunity, if their family is large enough, to form a House. A House is a subnoble classification of Nocturne including adopted, full blood, and half-blood. Only a Directborn is recognized to establish a House, and one should only try if they have the resources and will to maintain it.

Three Direct Bloodlines of respect.

Vonsoon- Hailing from the North, the Vonsoon were often Scholar-nobles, utilizing their slow accumulation of wealth to fund research projects and studies beneath the Ice. Their patriarch maintains that before the Cataclysm, the Vonsoon were mages of note, offering services as high wizards and advisers to many would-be rulers. Their natural long life lent them perspective, that they used to direct kingdoms...or at least it is what they claim. They were also known shapeshifters and some of the Vonsoon blood show an affinity to change their bodies with the blood of other sentient beings.

Vonsoon are known best by their garb, dressing nobly or with great attention to personal beauty.

They are a Nocturne family known for spurning the more monstrous of their ilk as Thinblood.

Vonsoon Houses: Bolivar, Northwyn, and Vokesh

Solmyr- Hailing from the edges of the Forest realm, the Solmyr are the most curious of the noble bloodlines. They have traded trappings of wealth or ambitions of splendor for a down-to-earth respect of their fellow races. In their personal history, they speak of a time when the Nocturne nearly bled the races dry, and that in punishment they were banished from the sun. This humility they wear plainly and are often very respectful of taking blood from other sentient organisms.

The Solmyr are perhaps best known for their medicinal skills, some capable of taking a poisoned creature's blood and producing an anti-toxin by taking it into themselves and then returning it.

Still distrusted as blood drinkers, they suggest their family were once caretakers. Of the three noble Pre-cataclysm bloodlines, theirs is perhaps regarded with the least respect by the Nocturne and the most respect by the other races. The Solmyr are the only family to 'adopt' half-bloods or Thinbloods into their ranks and teach them.

Houses: Vanmyr, Deeproot, and Myrsia

Rasbrov- Burning beneath the hot desert sun, this Nocturne bloodline is the most savage of the bloodlines known. They truly believe they once ruled, and with an iron fist. They think nothing of taking blood from others and indeed, some would say that they view themselves as superior.

Rasbrov tend to be confrontational, predatory creatures. They ascend to positions of importance relatively quickly, building on the framework of their ancestors. Many of this bloodline ascend to Powerful Merchants and it is rumored Lukesh is of this bloodline as well, although such has never been plainly spoken.

Rasbrov are particularly adept at both social and physical combat...and some would even say they are a little faster and more resistant than their other ilk. Certainly they do not appreciate weakness and have no time to fawn. Their environment almost certainly hardened them into the creatures they are now, and they are the most willing Nocturne family to subjugate and enslave their own race.

Rasbrov also adopt, but only Nocturne they choose to enter into the clan...those who share similar qualities. They often target well known or famous Nocturne, those that can give them something or somehow benefit their collective.

Houses: (The houses of Rasbrov often heavily compete with each other...only two exist now) Kolfax and Dagra. (House Rasha fell almost half a century ago)

I have described Vonsoon in more detail here, and Rasbrov in some detail here. In general, you may characterize them as aloof concerning most human matters. Decades are years to them. Skype me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Is the skype chats for this rp still goin on and stuff?

People come and go. Go to the group thread and put your ID up.

I'm also open to questions about the Nocturne. There should be some posts up from me concerning them in the next day or so.

• Thank You
Reactions: lynzy
Anyone in the Tavark group capable of calling a storm, a drizzle, or something? You know ...

@unanun

Planning to when I post after I wake up. I already used reference to the storm in one of my posts. I think my first one with Raige. Im gonna run an idea by you later btw.

I think we've got at least a day till that storm hits. maybe two.. probably two.

Status
Not open for further replies.