Planning a Roast (UPDATED: 12-12-2014)

And i'm curious what hilarity sparked the need to address lesson 2

The incorrect notion that you need something before the IC starts to have any possibility of binding players together/initiating a plot.

The incorrect notion that you need something before the IC starts to have any possibility of binding players together/initiating a plot.
plot hooks?

in a forum rp?

psssh

those things are optional

And i'm curious what hilarity sparked the need to address lesson 2
Stuff I'm not really allowed to bring up on the public forums due to my own rules of not publicly shaming folks? :bsmile: You can ask me over Skype if you want.

I'll save you the trouble:

Because my role play did not explicitly illustrate an initial conflict in the OOC opening post, Brovo had become adamant that it was silly and would face difficulty in getting players together/initiate a plot.

That's what I understood from his words anyways. I left the call hours before it ended when I got bored, so I'm not sure what they further discussed.

I'll save you the trouble:

Because my role play did not explicitly illustrate an initial conflict in the OOC opening post, Brovo had become adamant that it was silly and would face difficulty in getting players together/initiate a plot.

That's what I understood from his words anyways. I left the call hours before it ended when I got bored, so I'm not sure what they further discussed.
picard-facepalm2.jpg

Alright, fine, guess we'll do this in public then. Just know you were the one to throw the goblet down.

#1: Considering it's called a roast, the entire idea is picking apart every tiny thing I can find in it. I conceded on multiple points when others found my reasoning flawed, it's kind of why it's done for fun and education as a group. It's also why I try to emphasize keeping the commentary out of the forums, it can result in people holding grudges over things with no malicious intentions. Like the one you're holding now.

#2: Yes, you did leave the call, before you could hear me complimenting your players. @Skyswimsky and @Casanova Del la Rosa come to mind immediately. (The former because the powers were fantastic and it fit the world, the latter because it looks like the author really enjoyed writing the character and wants to have fun with it.)

#3: You had absolutely no problem with other RP's getting the same treatment as the one I gave yours. Including my own.

The criticism was aimed to be constructive. Just because I noticed a lot of confusing things at first glance in your RP (while drunk) doesn't mean that your RP is bad. I've said this before in roast calls where you were present: So long as the players have fun, it is totally irrelevant what level of writing is displayed in it. @Razilin can attest to that, you can tell when someone is writing something for fun and it's delightful to see that. (ex: Climbing the criminal ladder like someone who's really good at climbing ladders.) No work is perfect, everything has holes in it. My own RPs? I can tell you dozens, and for every one I plug, another pops up.

Yes, your RP lacks a uniting conflict, a glue for the players. It lacks a hook, it's essentially a sandbox with a backstory in its present state. Is that bad? No. Could it be improved? Yes. Does that make you a bad writer or GM? No. Does that mean your RP is somehow lesser than my own works? No. That's never been implied.

Now, if you're offended, I'm sorry, the intent wasn't to offend you. However, please respect that I like to deal with these types of issues outside of the public eye, because this kind of stuff can damn the roasts very quickly. Which results in more hurt feelings and the roasts being shut down.

Reactions: K3l and Astoria
Don't submit your RP for roast if you cannot handle it being roasted Asuras...

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Alright, fine, guess we'll do this in public then. Just know you were the one to throw the goblet down.

#1: Considering it's called a roast, the entire idea is picking apart every tiny thing I can find in it. I conceded on multiple points when others found my reasoning flawed, it's kind of why it's done for fun and education as a group. It's also why I try to emphasize keeping the commentary out of the forums, it can result in people holding grudges over things with no malicious intentions. Like the one you're holding now.

#2: Yes, you did leave the call, before you could hear me complimenting your players. @Skyswimsky and @Casanova Del la Rosa come to mind immediately. (The former because the powers were fantastic and it fit the world, the latter because it looks like the author really enjoyed writing the character and wants to have fun with it.)

#3: You had absolutely no problem with other RP's getting the same treatment as the one I gave yours. Including my own.

The criticism was aimed to be constructive. Just because I noticed a lot of confusing things at first glance in your RP (while drunk) doesn't mean that your RP is bad. I've said this before in roast calls where you were present: So long as the players have fun, it is totally irrelevant what level of writing is displayed in it. @Razilin can attest to that, you can tell when someone is writing something for fun and it's delightful to see that. (ex: Climbing the criminal ladder like someone who's really good at climbing ladders.) No work is perfect, everything has holes in it. My own RPs? I can tell you dozens, and for every one I plug, another pops up.

Yes, your RP lacks a uniting conflict, a glue for the players. It lacks a hook, it's essentially a sandbox with a backstory in its present state. Is that bad? No. Could it be improved? Yes. Does that make you a bad writer or GM? No. Does that mean your RP is somehow lesser than my own works? No. That's never been implied.

Now, if you're offended, I'm sorry, the intent wasn't to offend you. However, please respect that I like to deal with these types of issues outside of the public eye, because this kind of stuff can damn the roasts very quickly. Which results in more hurt feelings and the roasts being shut down.

i am inspired by roasts to climb ladders

and charizard things

oh and rapehorse

things i learn around you nutters

• Love
Reactions: Darog and Brovo
Do not take away my roasts.

I get to relax.

And talk to you crazy people.

And joke around like an idiot.

And actually learn and teach people about sheets and stuff, ya know, when I'm not being an asshat.

Reactions: Drifter
The problem here is this "When not a asshat."

We are all asshats. Infact, you are Canadian. YOur country is the Hat of an ass.

Haha

SUCK IT 'MURICA

• Love
Reactions: Tempest and Darog
Considering it's called a roast, the entire idea is picking apart every tiny thing I can find in it. I conceded on multiple points when others found my reasoning flawed, it's kind of why it's done for fun and education as a group.

Which is fine and I understand, but you just put commentary in the forum yourself. It may not have had a name attached to it, but I know, and that hurts. Especially in the tone you presented it as. Don't try and fool yourself into thinking your roast commentary is anything but a chance to make fun of things you find on Iwaku. You can learn from them, but unless the individuals committing the crime are present it's anything but educational.

It's also why I try to emphasize keeping the commentary out of the forums, it can result in people holding grudges over things with no malicious intentions. Like the one you're holding now.

When you post things like you just recently did, in a thread associated with roasting, it doesn't come off as kind, and while it may not have a name attached to it, I know. I feel it. You didn't keep commentary out of the forum. You just withheld a piece of the commentary and offered to tell anyone in private.

You're right. I don't. I didn't go into the calls to learn anything. I went in there to make fun of things. And plenty of times I've attempted to defend certain ideas or individuals. You might not have heard me go fully through with those thoughts I had however. Why? Because I felt uncomfortable. I knew that if I tried to defend something that seemed idiotic or issue-ridden to most of the participants in the Skype call I'd be shut down or laughed at.

I understand that I can laugh at things I can't defend, and to try and defend things that are wrongfully accused or made fun of. Here I am defending what I believe to be a wrong accusation. I don't think your words in any way ever have reflected that:

Yes, your RP lacks a uniting conflict, a glue for the players. It lacks a hook, it's essentially a sandbox with a backstory in its present state. Is that bad? No.

At this point, however, I realize how someone could, despite it being all for fun, feel terrible. I honestly feel a little sick having made fun of other roleplays so often. I thought about it hard last night, and I've realized how dickish it is to do these kinds of things. 'Douche' is a content option on Iwaku for a reason.

it can result in people holding grudges over things with no malicious intentions. Like the one you're holding now.

As if the grudge manifests only if posted on the message board.

Alchemist Sam Fisher Obama Jesus Baratheon is unstoppable.

Hahaha. Oh, man. That's for you, Drakel.
My confusion never knows any bounds, so I'll say this is somehow funny and sexual of some way/shape and form. 8D

Asuras; I am not sure you realize what a roast is about. Yes, It pokes fun at peoples rp's. But criticism is a fair thing, and all we do is to do it in a lighthearted matter. IF everything was to be immune to it, that we should never be allowed to have a opinion on a matter, even when we approach it a good natured " lets laught a little at the imperfections of the world." nothing would work. Nothing. I certeinly don't go in to "Make fun and be a douche.", that implies Malignant, harmfull intentions. I go in to see what people write, and joke about it with no other agenda other then to see, learn and enjoy myself. I cannot speak for you, but that is all I do. With your stand point, all comedy would be DEAD. With your approach on the matter, every single comedian who ever made fun of a movie, a comic book or a song is a douchebag.

Its comedy. ITs a part of life.

Do not take away my roasts.

I get to relax.

And talk to you crazy people.

And joke around like an idiot.

And actually learn and teach people about sheets and stuff, ya know, when I'm not being an asshat.

Haha haha

You're always an asshat

Stop lying ya liar!

:)

We are all asshats. Infact, you are Canadian. YOur country is the Hat of an ass.
I wish she was a Canadian, but no, she's an American. Silly Swede, learn geography. :rotfl:
Which is fine and I understand, but you just put commentary in the forum yourself. It may not have had a name attached to it, but I know, and that hurts. Especially in the tone you presented it as. Don't try and fool yourself into thinking your roast commentary is anything but a chance to make fun of things you find on Iwaku. You can learn from them, but unless the individuals committing the crime are present it's anything but educational.
Pot, meet kettle.

Also, you really think those points were directed exclusively at you, and in a negative tone? Come on now. Those statements are divourced from any sort of context about your RP, and intentionally, to avoid this very sort of thing.
... You mean two statements about learning things? Okay then. I'm sorry you find this offensive.
in a thread associated with roasting, it doesn't come off as kind, and while it may not have a name attached to it, I know. I feel it. You didn't keep commentary out of the forum. You just withheld a piece of the commentary and offered to tell anyone in private.
In private, my opinion can be as free as I want it to be, because I'm not making a public declaration. (Like you did about me fooling myself.) There's a difference between taking someone out of a crowded amphitheater to quietly talk to them about what's going on to prevent embarrassment and harassment by onlookers, and directly mocking something or attacking someone's personal character.

Social context, Asuras.
You're right. I don't. I didn't go into the calls to learn anything. I went in there to make fun of things.
For those who aren't aware of what a roast is yet: A roast is when I and a bunch of others get together on Skype, read some role plays, and dissect their plots and characters for the purpose of entertainment and learning. People can suggest RP's to be roasted, and so on. There's a few hard rules, such as never making personal attacks against other people, never publicly criticizing the role plays (especially in the OOC's of said role plays), et cetera. Basically: While satire, sarcasm, and dry wit, are fully acceptable, personal attacks and the like are not.
Et tu, Brutus?
And plenty of times I've attempted to defend certain ideas or individuals. You might not have heard me go fully through with those thoughts I had however. Why? Because I felt uncomfortable. I knew that if I tried to defend something that seemed idiotic or issue-ridden to most of the participants in the Skype call I'd be shut down or laughed at.
Except I've defended things in there. So has Hellis, and Razilin defends things all the time, he's essentially a bastion of optimism and positivity, and you know how people react?

Positively.

Even when you defended your own plot about your RP, others sometimes went to your side and I would concede a point. Because that's how people learn stuff. The whole point of this is to dissect things to learn and laugh. It's right there in the opening post. It's why I'll go out of my way to get Raz or Dargo or Tempest into roasts. They openly question me, and it's great when that sort of stuff happens.
At this point, however, I realize how someone could, despite it being all for fun, feel terrible. I honestly feel a little sick having made fun of other roleplays so often. I thought about it hard last night, and I've realized how dickish it is to do these kinds of things. 'Douche' is a content option on Iwaku for a reason.
Yeah. Constructive criticism exclusively done for the sake of learning and entertainment is evil. The same kind of evil that ensured that the likes of George Carlin could never be successful.

I've already gone out of my way to ensure people don't get harassed, don't get humiliated, and don't get spat at. Ask @Expllo I talked to him directly at one point about outside antics and how it can hurt people's feelings.

Now I've already asked you once, Asuras, I'm not going to ask again: If you really want to talk about this productively, talk to me in private. If you want to keep telling me that I'm deluded and make public accusations, you won't be getting further responses, for the sake of future roasts.

If I did, I'd have to pick something other than role playing to make it into a job. To appease the masses I have to target things the masses enjoy, which would be far more visual mediums (movies, games), far less literature, or role playing.

Sad, but true. Oh well.
Oh, there's a niche for literature on Youtube:

This man is gold.

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
Are you guys done roasting yet?

I'm still waiting for the food...

• Thank You
Reactions: Ser K+