Peas in a pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ow ow ow" Alex was really rough when she was angry. Once Elise's cheeks were released she started to massage them. They were probably pretty red at that point. "Well, he's not exactly random...." Elise confessed. "And he has never seen any of my alternative looks. He only knows my real form." It was really bad having him there.

"He's a childhood friend of mine, and he can read minds, though his powers are rather weak, so he might have gotten us mixed up." When she left her hometown, he was only able to pick up a few words now and then. Had he gotten better control of it? Though considering he still couldn't tell people apart, it seemed like his powers hadn't grown that much.

"He just want to help, but he's really bad at it. I'll make sure to scare him away somehow, so try not to beat him up." That guy was really good at getting into trouble and she could not put him into danger by taking him with her. The biggest problem with him was that he believed that her father was correct and that all mutants belonged at Genosha. He hoped to convince Elise to go to Genosha together with him and for her to make up with her father. He just couldn't understand why that wasn't an option for her because he didn't know, or wished to know about the dark side of that place.

'Elise', the boy had spoken that name. Looking at the illusionary form in hir the teen got only more irked. "Hmmm, so your name is 'Elise'..." The lightly honeyed eyes seemed piercing as ze studied the girl. "And mind reading can at least partially avert your ability. Hmm..."

Poking mercilessly at the weakness of the other girl's powers Xan held no mercy towards the careless girl in front of hir. "Good luck trying to escape the moron, he seems persistent." Turning to leave the teen had nothing else to say, only the remaining desire to beat up the annoying boy and escape the potential trouble in form of a boy who had mistaken hir for 'Elise'.

Elise pouted as the girl started to leave. "For your information, they can see my illusion just as well as you even if they read my mind." She pulled out her tongue at the girl childishly. They might not be able to escape her illusions, but if a mind reader found her mind while being in a illusion, they would at the very least know that it wasn't real and could stay calm through it, or in worst case scenario, use Elise's brain to find their way to her and force her to stop the illusion. Even if they couldn't feel her when they touch her, they would know because of her thoughts if they are close or not. It would be impossible not to think about it.

The girl sighed and turned around and left for her apartment. She had to figure out a way to get rid of him. It had been quite a few years since she saw him, was he still afraid of the same things? Had he overcome his fears and gotten new ones? She just had to throw everything at him, find his weaknesses and use them to pressure him into leaving. Even if he knew that they were only illusions, if he was faced with his biggest fears, it probably wouldn't matter. Everyone had their limits. Even though she hated herself for it, she had no choice but to hurt him to save not only herself, but him as well.

Waving hir hand lightly Xan left the area and begun plans of hir own to track down and capture the potential annoyance. Returning to the location where she had last tripped up the boy she made sure to not let the boy get an upper hand on her. Filling her mind with the thoughtless chatter of the surroundings she began searching for the boy.

Keeping the thoughts mundane while searching proved to be a challenge, but she got slowly used to it while just looking for the boy. She just needed to let it be followed by how a few passerbys would've reacted to the scene. Still, she had no idea on how powerful the mind-reading boy was. Thankfully she knew that it took more than just being able to read minds to actually reach the depths of a mind and it was an assurance.

"Wait Elise." The boy shouted. He knew that it was all just an illusion, but without reading the girl's mind, wasn't possible to get out of it. All he could do was to stand there until the illusion went away. Well, he could have tried to walk around, but that would force him to unnecessarily bump into a lot of people, which could create some uncomfortable situations for him. Skin to skin contact often triggered his powers.

Soon the fog faded and people around him started to confused walk away. They had no idea what had just happened, the thought of a mutant having created it was still unthinkable for most. They didn't wish to see what was right in front of them. Why did Elise still bother to stay in such an ignorant world? There was a home waiting for her, a home for all of them.

For now there wasn't much he could do, he had lost her, but he doubted she would just leave because he was there, he would find her again. Next time he would talk to her properly before she got the chance to run away. He started to walk back towards the hotel he was staying at, completely unaware of the fact that someone was closing in on him.

Once ze had ditched the annoying girl Xan immediately detoured over to the area they had escaped from. Ze wanted to kick the mindreader's ass, but first was the issue of what could've possibly made him single hir out.

Reaching the location the teen let hir mind fill with pointless chatter and moved through the crowd like a fish in water. The pickpocket had years of experience in maneuvering through the crowds, in hir mind practicing anything that could be useful was wise. Spotting the mindreader ze didn't let hir focus break.
Trailing after him the teen waited until he entered an alleyway before striking. Moving in swiftly ze kicked his shin, made him trip and straddled his back. "So, why did you mistake me for that moron?"

It came as quite a shock when something suddenly hit is shin and he was forced to the ground. It didn't take a mind reader to realize that the girl he had thought was his friend actually was someone completely different. "Moron? I suppose you've never looked into a mirror." He insulted the girl. Who was she to call his innocent, sweet childhood friend a moron? "Obviously I made a mistake. It's very easily noticed when your weight is right on top of me. Ever considered a diet? Or are you striving for a career as a circus elephant?"

If Elise had heard him speak so roughly at a girl, she might have fainted by the shock. It wasn't a side he would ever show her.

Figured a person from that stalker's life was a two-faced asshole. Good. That meant the teen wouldn't be bothered too much if ze played hir cards well. Still, the boy's words were a little annoying. Spoiled brat. Grabbing his neck lightly ze let hir fingers rest against his neck, a subtle warning, and used hir main ability for what is was worth. No point in some hero-type showing up to save the brat. Better to make it look like he was laying still in the alleyway like some trash.

Ze could extend hir invisibility to hir clothes, but it took a fair amount of focus, and ze still needed to keep hir mind cloaked from the mind-reader ze kept under the control she could exert. "Glad to know I do eat enough, it gets a bit busy avoiding stupid stalkers and their annoyingly smitten childhood friends." Lightly putting pressure on his throat ze purred in warning: "It makes me a little... Cranky in a way."

The boy sighed frustrated. What did this stupid girl want? She wasn't asking any questions, all she did was threatening him without telling him what she wanted. Such a moron.

"I think you're doing this in the wrong order honey. First comes the questions and then the torture. You're a really shitty cop, you know that?" He wouldn't let her intimidate him that easily. "Or is your plan to just sit on top of me until you get tired? So diabolical."

This... Brat. Tightening hir grip on his neck she kept hirself under control, this guy clearly didn't think. "I did ask a question, or did you forget?" Loosening the grip to normal ze continue calmly. "You confused me with that airhead, why? Answer nicely and I might give you an opportunity to meet her again." As if ze would give up a card that easily.

Mentally checking things over ze kept hir awareness of their surroundings up while keeping a simple cover on hir mind. This was a mind-reader, something ze hated a lot. The nasty attitude didn't help with keeping the frustration and anger in check. A few more years until ze could make hir own freedom.

"I did answer. I made a mistake. What more do you want me to say?" He really didn't know what she wanted of him at this point. What did it matter why he mistook them for one another? He knew now that she wasn't the one he thought she had been. "She's not the easiest person in the world to recognize. I've mistaken lots of girls for her before. You're not particularly unique in that regard, snowflake."

He clearly didn't believe the girls threats, or maybe he just didn't care. If she hurt him, it didn't really matter as long as she was safe. If she hurt Elise, he knew a few people who definitely could kill this bitch with the right motivation. Yes, he was weak, but he knew a bit about what pushed peoples buttons, and he knew quite a few pushable people.

Her eyes narrowed at that, suspicion permeating her very air. Still, if he didn't consider hir unique then it worked in hir favor. "So you've seriously bugged every light-haired teen you've met? Man, you're one desperate and sorry ass." And pathetic.

Sighing tiredly ze loosened the grip another smidgen, still having avoided exerting enough pressure to leave a mark. Ze hadn't killed anyone... Yet. "There's still a bit of an issue with you though." There was no way a weak moron was left alone that easily. "How many of your friends are helping you out in this city? I'd prefer not being mistaken a second time by some half-blind moron." If Elise was paranoid enough to change appearance regularly then it meant more than a few could be troublesome.

"How did you kno..." He bit his tongue, suddenly realizing he had made a mistake. He should have denied being involved with others. If Elise figured out that he had friends with him, she would run off immediately thinking the worst.

"Let's make a deal. You let me go and I make sure that Elise, I and my friends are out of town within two days. I swear they won't even breath the same air as you do if you just buzz off now." This was the best he could do at the moment. He wanted to get Elise away from this crazy bitch as fast as possible.

Ah, morons, so wonderfully careless... Tightening hir grip on him ze stared down at him, knowing it would be a matter of time before his allies would show up. Combat... Wasn't a field ze could easily gain skills in, running away was a more effective option most of the time.

"A very tempting deal considering how that sweetheart of yours is very annoying." Tensing her grip a little more she spoke more darkly, revealing another fraction of her bad mood. "Except I don't have a hobby of selling out anyone who isn't an enemy." He was the less trustworthy, and Elise was the one changing her appearance to stay safe. Something Xan could empathize with, annoyingly enough.

"You don't have to sell out anyone. You just have to stay out of the fucking way." His teeth were clenched as he spoke. The pressure on his neck was really starting to hurt him now. Was she really going to try and suffocate him? This bitch would be an awful lot of trouble. Maybe they would have to get rid of her before fixing Elise. No, there was no maybe about it. She had to go.

"Look, all I want to do is take her somewhere safe where she don't have to live in fear. There's an island for people like us, where we can be ourselves, where the world won't bother us. You could go there as well. No need for hiding, nor running away." Quite frankly, he had no idea if she was a mutant or not at this point. He just guessed. His power wasn't great. They were barely even decent. The main reason he could find Elise's thoughts was because he had grown up with her, so he was used to her wavelength. They were easy to read. Everyone he wasn't close to though? There was a need for a lot more energy for that, and right now he weren't in a position to concentrate the way he needed to to be able to read this girls mind.

"Wow... No wonder she panicked and ran away from you like that." Letting go of his neck at long last the teen dropped all plans on making this moron a potential tool, he was already someone's tool and a distasteful tool at that. Patting his cheek rudely ze gave a few last words of parting. "You don't really think about why she is running away from you, do you?"

Getting of him smoothly Xan stopped using hir power, having only wanted them to be ignored by any random passerby, and gained some quick steps of distance fast from the obsessive mind reader.

"Wha..." How dared that moron assume things about them. At this point he didn't even care if she tried to get in the way or not, taking her out would be his desert for this mission. He would enjoy every moment of it.

"I know exactly why. It's because she has an irrational fear of her own father and she won't realize that she's frightened for nothing before she talks to him. So don't get in my way." He warned her before turning around and walking in the opposite direction in the alleyway. Though it was already too late. She had already involved herself to the point of no return.

"Irrational... Huh..." Smiling wryly Xan knew ze had made an enemy out of the boy, but now ze didn't care. Ditching the town would be easy enough and running away was something of a habit now. Blending in with the crowd the teen decided to make a few minor changes first, being mistaken a second time would be troublesome.

Dropping by the necessary stores the teen switched between either stealing or buying the needed items for change. Clothing was doable enough, the cheep thrift stores offering a wide variety of clothes that the teen actually paid for. After mourning the money to be spent.
When back inside the abandoned building ze got together a mirror, a crummy towel, two buckets of water and a pail. Lightly washing hir hair first the teen started right away on the task of the more important change. Hir hair was apparently close enough to Elise's real hair color so darkening it would be good.

Hours well spent and evening closing in ze decided to go by a place and get some food, gaining enemies made hir hungry. Dropping the sunglasses for now Xan mourned how sunglasses were the best to hide hir damned light-sensitive and pale eyes. Wearing a loose shirt and neat pants hir looks were different, but the air had yet to change around the paranoid teen. Walking through a park ze kept an eye out for trouble, just in case it would actually appear.

Elise was sitting in her apartment, writing down a few ideas for her childhood friend. If she could come up with something that wouldn't be too hurtful but still make him get the point, it would be best, but sadly she didn't think it would be that easy, and the more ideas she came up with, the crueler they became.

"Drowning? Really brain? I don't want to scar him for life." She sighed and leaned back in the chair. Playing on his biggest fears was the best way to go. He couldn't swim and was afraid of water, so a drowning simulation would probably be effective... And cruel...

The girl suddenly stopped in her tracks as she got a bad feeling. She eyed the window, but of course she saw nothing from where she sat. As a copy of herself went back to writing up ideas, an invisible Elise walked closer to the window. It didn't take her long to spot a person staring into her apartment from across the street. Subtle. "Have fun watching me when I'm gone." She mumbled as she left the apartment. She could probably keep the illusion up for a few streets if she concentrated enough and dropped the invisibility on herself once she was too far away to be seen by that woman.

She hadn't gotten very far before she already felt her illusion falter. She wasn't used to making and maintaining such a specific illusion at such a distance without seeing it. A fog could easily be put down over a whole small town, but such a small illusion easily flickered or disappeared and reappeared if she didn't concentrate properly. Elise started to run. She didn't know who that person was, and she wasn't interested in figuring it out.

The safest bet now was to just change her appearance once again.

In the park, trouble was certainly waiting for Xan. Sitting on a park bench, a man in his 40's was innocently reading a book. Looked like a normal person to anyone. He didn't even so much as glance towards the girl as she walked through the park, but he had noticed her, and he was waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Taking a right through the brighter path ze had no plans on picking pocket tonight or train hir skill. Food was a priority at the moment. Seeing the fading number of people ze clicked hir tongue lightly in displeasure. Blending into a crowd was one of the better tactics.

Spotting an open food cart Xan shrugged casually and made hir way there. Ordering a nice and cheap meal ze was in luck to be among the few in line for greasy food. It was better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.