Peas in a pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
That question was harder than expected for her to answer. Saying 'my dad' didn't feel right, because she had never seen him as her dad, even though he apparently wanted to make them family again. Or at least so he said. In reality he just wanted to use her powers, just like he wanted to use her siblings powers. It was quite disgusting how her half brother let himself be manipulated like that.

Before she had replied, another question popped out of the girl, and this one came with a horrifying revelation. "What?" Elise looked shocked at the other girl. Who could track her? Were they dangerous? Would they think about coming after her? No... If they weren't with her father, there shouldn't be any problem, and considering he hadn't found her yet, he definitely didn't have that kind of power on his side.

"He will be able to find me if I don't use my powers. His followers are everywhere, and if the wrong person sees me before I see them, I'm screwed." She definitely sounded a bit paranoid. Of course they weren't everywhere, but it wasn't like they were bound to one place. Sometimes they were working for him, other times they were on personal missions or worked for someone else, but of course that wouldn't make them forget about her existence. For the right price they would definitely get back in with him again.

"He's... He's my dad. He thinks we should keep together as a family even though he abandoned me and my siblings when we were children. While he says he just wants us to be a family again I don't believe that's the whole truth. He hates humans and he pretty much collects as many mutants as he can on his stupid mutant island. I wouldn't be surprised if he was about to prepare a war against humanity. No one would be happier if all normal people just went extinct, or were killed." Did that sound crazy? It probably did. It sounded like a conspiracy theory. But she knew what kind of man he was. If his own little mutant country grew big enough, there was no way he wouldn't fuel their emotions with anger and hatred until everyone would be willing to take down humanity. "I just.. want to keep out of all that."

Okay, the girl was paranoid, no doubt about that. Xan could understand it, but the story itself was crazy. Sure, she might be running from her dad, but an island of mutants? Extinction of regular humans? Sounds like something out of a novel or a complete conspiracy theory.

While the girl talked on Xan ate hir meal in peace and didn't have to deal with the goodie-two-shoes attitude of the girl. Instead there was paranoid talk from 'Erica' but eh, paranoid people were more entertaining than annoying good people any day. "Huh, that's a pretty non-goodie choice. So your plan is to keep on running until he dies or give up?"

Even Elise was amazed that the girl was still listening to her. What she said did sound way too crazy.

"I don't know. He has attacked both mutants and humans before. One day he might just accidentally take care of himself." She was sure that if she said his name, 'Alex' would know who she was talking about. Magneto had done quite a few stunts since mutants came out of the closet, and even more before that. By this point everyone knew who he was.

"Who are you running from? Mutant or human?" Elise asked. Maybe she stepped over the line, but she was curious. If it was a normal human, then the girl could just go to genosha. No human could reach her there. All mutants knew about the mutant paradise by now. Except those who didn't have contact with any other mutants of course. Generally mutants were split into two teams. Those who tried to live in peace with humans and those who just wanted to live in peace so they decided to flee from the humans. Well, then there was the third team that hated humans and wished to destroy it too, but she did hope that was a very small minority.

"Someone who can't touch me once I'm of age." Answering the question both vaguely and simply it was hard to tell if the person was a mutant abiding laws or a regular human. It wouldn't harm hir if 'Erica' learned that tidbit, she had already realized the more annoying thing with Xan being underage.

Realizing the potential annoyances with a goodie-two-shoes knowing that Xan wasn't of age made the teen frown, there was still some weeks left in town because of the course. Dammit, this would make things more difficult. "Either way, I'm gonna keep moving around until I can find somewhere decent."

"Somewhere decent. Yeah, that would be nice." Elise said longingly. At least Alex would be able to stop running eventually in a few years. That wasn't a luxury Elise would get in quite a while if she wasn't extremely lucky.

"So, have you ever considered Genosha then?" Elise tried just to see if the other girl knew about it. While she wasn't too fond of the thought, she wanted others to make up their own mind and decided what seemed like the right choice on their own. Just because her father was a horrible man didn't mean Genosha was a horrible place.

Yeah, okay, the goodie-two-shoes did have some things Xan could agree with. Damn, that's what you get for just trying to make sure the stalker didn't stalk you to your hideout. Eating more of the meal Xan frowned over how slow hir was with the chopsticks compared to normal cutlery, still it would be annoying to give up and go ask for normal cutlery.

Still, the thoughts were broken as 'Erica' mentioned a place that Xan didn't recognize. "Genosha? What's that for a place? Some kinda sanctuary?" Please don't let it be filled with goodie-two-shoes like the stalker and those outspoken mutants that talked about peace. Please...

She hadn't heard of it? This girl clearly didn't have much contact with other mutants. Well that was one thing they had in common at least. "Sanctuary.. Well, it depends on who you ask I guess. Most mutants would say so." Only because they didn't know the truth about the plans some people had for that island.

"It's a hidden island made for mutants, so that they won't get discriminated against. Normal humans aren't allowed there. Those mutants who are tired of living in fear usually escapes to it, but those who still hopes for equality for mutants and peace between humans and themselves, tends to stay no matter the cost." She decided to leave her own feelings about the place out of it. It was up to Alex to decide if she wished to go there or not. It was a great place for most. Or so she had heard. If it hadn't been for her father, Elise might also have moved there. Though she would have left if she even suspected a war from Genosha's leader. The island was founded on hatred, so no matter who owned it, she was sure the end result would be the same.

"Huh, so basically a hidey-hole for those with power," thoughtful Xan looked up at the empty sky, barely seeing any stars out on the sky. Thinking carefully Xan weighed hir options, frowning lightly the conclusion was different that the teen had originally thought. Sighing ze took yet another bite of the food, letting the thoughts settle before answering the stalker.

"I think I'll pass." Glancing over at Erica ze already knew the girl would most likely ask why and preempted the question with half the truth. "A place where everyone knows what you can do sounds pretty on paper but it's just another way to get locked into always using those skills. Once a skill is something you always go to without even looking at different options then you're stuck."

"Not everyone are lucky enough to get an option, except if you think dying counts." Elise said with a monotone voice. She herself had dozens of choices, but there were mutants that were starving down in the sewers or in empty buildings because their looks horrified people too much.

"Personally I have the choice to run with a disguise, or run faster without a disguise. I prefer to stay in one place for as long as possible though. Somehow it makes me feel more... Normal. More... human. I feel that for just a little while, I have a home. I wouldn't get that if I had to leave the new place after just a week." Elise continued. She wasn't sure why she wanted to explain her own reasons for always using her powers, but it felt good to talk to someone about it for once, even if they had different opinions about the matter.

"I just... hate being alone. If I stay for longer, I get to know people. They don't recognize me when I return the next day but... It kind of gives a slight comfort, seeing faces I recognize each day. Though it does make leaving a bit harder." Sometimes she wished she could get to know one person for real and let them get to know her, but that would make leaving even harder.

While listening to the girl talking Xan almost grimaced as the sentiments made hir cringe. Erica wasn't just some goodie-goodie kid, she was also a sentimental kid. Was she really the older one? Didn't she realize that sentimentality could be risky? "I don't get it, the familiar face-thing." Blunt the teen wasn't about to entertain those notions any longer. Notions like that... Too risky.

"Still doesn't explain why you chose to stick with me. You have that pendant back, I'm still a stranger and our opinions are clearly different. You know we won't agree so why bother?" Mercilessly blunt Xan wasn't going to hesitate in pointing out their differences, how they wouldn't get along and how the same situation didn't make them buddies. Maybe she'd take the hint now.

Elise looked quite amused at the other teen. "Just because two people don't agree with each other, doesn't mean they can't learn from one another." She corrected Alex. "If you only hang around people who think exactly the same way you do, how are you supposed to know that you truly hold that opinion? If you never challenge it, you might one day realize that you're wrong and regret that you didn't look at your options earlier. Though by challenging it you can also find out that you truly believe in your opinion, or that you want a middle ground between the two."

She paused. "I don't hang around you to make you agree with my opinion. I'm just showing you a different point of view, and if it sticks, it sticks, if not, then it doesn't. Likewise you have the chance to show me a different point of view that I can take with me when I leave town."

Taking one last bite of the half-eaten meal Xan began packing up the food, getting tired of the philosophical talk and just being around the other girl. "I don't hang around people, so my opinion isn't someone else's." Putting the cartons back in the plastic bags and dropping the chopsticks inside Xan added: "There's also the fact that I like being alone, so if someone wants to be alone I'll let them."

Getting off the bench Xan turned towards Erica and spoke: "Bye. I'll think about the dinner-thing." Not wanting to chat any more and hoping that the other girl had talked enough the thief left the park.

Elise looked after the other girl. Did she really like to be alone? Or was it just an excuse so that she wouldn't have to get close to others? Most humans weren't completely honest, not even with themselves. People lie to themselves so that they can pretend they're fine when they're not.

But Elise wasn't a mind reader. She could go into Alex mind and check what she truly was thinking. So for that day, all she could do was to give up.

Days past by without Elise and Alex meeting. Elise worked in a cafe for the week as a man in his thirties named Caleb. She did recognize the face she used, which made her slightly uneasy, but she shook off the feeling. Even if she re-used faces, there was a very small chance that she would meet the people she had met before when bearing that face.

Soon the day came for the first lesson to start. Though Elise might have been more interested in meeting Alex rather than to study. She changed back to the female named Erica, whom she had played far too recently, and went to the lesson. As she spotted the other girl, she smiled and went towards her. "Though anything about the dinner invitation?" She asked as she came close enough. "Melanie reeeaaally wanted you to come." She hoped that if someone other than her wanted Alex to show up, she would feel less intimidating. Elise didn't want to be on bad terms with the girl, but she knew they hadn't gotten the best first impression of one another. Such things were hard to over write.

Inwardly relieved that the time spent chatting had been enough to assure that Erica wouldn't follow hir to the current spot of squatting Xan was able to get home undisturbed. Moving easily through the alleyways the tension eased and the teen could relax a little. Solitude had become a steady companion and a good assurance, it also gave the benefits of no distractions while being on guard.

Finishing the meal alone in the abandoned psychologist's office Xan was starting to wonder why the still standing office complex was unused. Curious about the history of the place Xan planned to spend more time at the library between the criminal acts.

The week went as smoothly as it could go, getting sold some old stolen items to the now approved fence and spending enough time in the library to learn the name of every employee there Xan was idly wondering if it would be risky to stay long. Still, it was summer so it was easier to loiter around during the day and it assured hir for now.

At the course Xan was ready to learn, but the appearance of Erica soured hir mood. Of course the stalker girl would appear. "You know that pestering can annoy people, right?"

"Don't be a meany. I just wanted to say hello. I haven't seen you in a while." Elise pouted. She was almost tempted to changing her looks to that of a five year old. The puppy eyes she could give with that appearance was priceless. But there were a bit too many people around for a random switch and creating one illusion for everyone around them while making another for Alex would probably give 'glitches'. It would probably freak people out if they suddenly saw a girl being replaced for another girl and a second later go back to being the previous girl. Trying to make different people see two different illusions was not a good idea for the most parts.

"For people on the run, isn't free food the best food? You wouldn't want to miss out, right?" Well, it was the best food when you didn't suspect it of being poisoned at least. Elise rarely said no to free food though as long as she was certain that it didn't come from mutants. It was hard for her to trust that any mutant didn't work for her dad. Well, except for Alex of course. If she hadn't been sure of it before, she definitely was now. Even if someone worked for her father, she doubted they would deny knowledge of Genosha just to hide their true intentions. Just because someone knew of Genosha or believed it was a good place did not mean they were working for him. It was nothing that they needed to hide from her. No knowledge of Genosha meant no connections to her father. No on could have missed his mutant island if they knew him, and it was near impossible even if you didn't know him.

The other girl was right, but that didn't mean the teen would make it easy for hir stalker to have what she wanted. Though at least in the middle of this crowd the stalker was unable to use her powers freely and Xan was glad for that, who knows what she could think of doing. "Considering that you've attempted stalking I hold my right to be mean to you." Pointing out the obvious right away Xan looked a little past the illusionist and to the table that had several sewing machines set up. Now, hopefully ze wouldn't have to sit next to Erica...

"And I'm still thinking about that dinner, it's not exactly free that either. I'm not free from you." Pointedly Xan walked past Erica and over to the machines. Looking at them idly Xan wondered which of them would be good to use.

"Are you afraid for me?" Elise said with a grin. "I won't bite you know." It was certainly hard to convince this girl of anything and every time she seemed to finally take a step forward, she was immediately pushed two steps back.

"What could I possibly do or say to you during a dinner with normal people? It won't be crowded so they will hear everything we talk about. That would be the best place for you to make me shut up." She argued as she followed the girl. She was definitely intent to get a seat beside, or at least close to, the other girl.

"I like my distance from you," answering back simply Xan found a seat and sat down, already resigned to the fact that even if ze went out of hir way to sit apart from the older girl they would surely end up sitting next to each other. Most of the participants were much older than them and clearly thought of the two girls as friends.

"As for the dinner, I'm still thinking about it and you nagging me about it makes me less inclined to accept it. I know how to be polite, I'm just not going to waste that effort on you." Tone low Xan did actually display a little more social skill than you'd expect from a teenage thief with minding hir volume to a low and comfortable level, not the whispers that made most listen in.

"Okay okay, I won't mention it before you've decided." Elise promised. Though she couldn't promise that the older lady wouldn't mention it after the class was over. Eventually she would want to know which date would work for them.

"Found you." Jessica interrupted the two and hurried to them. Having noticed they seemed to be searching for good spots she immediately started to guide the two. "Over there is the best place to sit to hear and see the instructor properly." She told them and pointed over to a few seats a little bit to the left of the middle. "And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I'm helping out with the lessons today."

Pulling slightly away from the stranger Xan wondered why the girl cared, looking over at Erica ze realized it was most likely because of her presence. "I'm gonna be rude here, but you're who exactly?" Unapologetic the teen refused to be herded off just like that and stood resolutely in place. Whoever that girl was she had only given the clue of being a helper.

While standing still ze studied the girl and found some slight similarities to the owner of the store, Melanie, and the general feeling of the girl. Helpful, probably a bit pushy and most likely the effective sort of person. The type of person the thief had most difficulties dealing with without having to give up some ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.