Paradisio Mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vance was too consumed by the adrenaline rush and X coursing through his body. Though Owen easily avoided his initial attack, it was poor judgement for him to have let him live. Even if he was in sound mind, Vance didn't trust or like Owen after their last run-in. He already had some nice scars forming once again. Breathing heavily and almost foaming at the mouth, rage seemed to consume him as he ignored the cutter's words.

"You...are a monster!" he shouted and charged once more, this time in a more calculated manner. Slipping a hidden knife into his hand he ducked low and brought the knife across, "Where is she?! Where is Rika!" he demanded as he quickly aimed a punch and a kick soon after the swipe. Owen would need to subdue and bargain with Vance at this point.

In Vance's eyes, owen was nothing more than another mindless puppet of Legato's. Especially after the way he'd heartlessly slaughtered Angel Sweet.

For once Owen was caught off guard and Vance's knife opened up a line of deep red across his chest light before he was sent backwards by the force of Vance's kick. On his back in the pool Hades' bleed was making on the floor Owen rolled to the side just in time to avoid Vance's finisher. The hunter realized the opponent was pushed over the edge, and silently cursed X-users everywhere.

"Vance!" he barked hoping to jolt the him enough to get his attention. The barely avoided streak of a slash answered him. But there was something Owen could do. "She sin Legatos bed." he said said his voice every inch the taunt is sounded like. "Don't you know thats where all Neocore 'faces' go?" He heard Vance's rage-filled minimalistic growl and grinned.

Vance hit him like a train and grasped Owen's throat with surprising strength, but it was all according to plan. Owen's hand came up an a needle jabbed into Vance's neck, the last of Owen's tranquilizer. Vance's eyes widened then stared daggers into Owen's as the two stared eachother down. Owen's oxygen cut off and Vance's brain being invaded by drugs both began to lose focus until finally giving in Vance fell to the ground, followed soon after by a coughing Owen.

*​

The room was dark, only a single pool of dirty light from the window made itself known. Vance woke up, something he had doubted he'd do if Owen beat him, but as he soon found out he wasn't home free, far from it. The rope had found a new use, and held him in place as the room slid in and out of focus and the need became evident. Vance had been spoiled staying with an X dealer and now after an indeterminate time drugged and at Owen's mercy the craving burned deep in his veins.

"Looking for this?" a vial was held in front of him and the ropes holding his arms were strained as he blindly reached for it, his fingertips just unable to touch the plastic...

A hand pushed his back in the chair and it's owner's face came into view. "There was quite a lot of it on the body of the other... but you're not getting any of it until you listen to what I have to say."

Owen's words were met with a glob of spit in his face and a grin from Vance, the ex-cutter replied with knuckles applied to Vance's face. "Your sister is in Legato's bed, replacing the late Angel Sweet. Women are objects to him, to be traded in for something better when he gets bored. Maybe you say her death on the news, the death Legato ordered..." Owen placed a hand on Vance's chin turning his head. "Angel Sweet... the woman Legato forced be to kill before he bed your sister, was my lover. So I want you understand where I'm coming from when I say I know where your sister is, I know how to get to her, and I'll show you. But Legato is mine." Owen slipped out a knife and pressed it against Vance's skin. "He took the only thing I cared about, and for that I will watch him die." the knife sliced and the rope fell away from Vance's arm and the vial was pressed into his palm. "You get Rika, I get revenge, I'd ask you if you accepted the deal but you don't have much choice. I'm the only chance you have of seeing her again." He stood and stepped away sheathing the knife. "I'll be in the other room when you want to hear more."

Vance tasted the metallic liquid in his mouth when Owen's fist met his face. He wanted nothing more to rip Owen in half right now, but his eyes instinctively were drawn toward the vial of X that remained just out of his reach. Owen turned his chin again so that he was now looking directly at the scumbag cutter. He knew about Angel's death and the kill order, but it seemed there was more to the story. Vance's bloodshot eyes clearly showed his need for the dirty street drug to keep his mind level. When Owen finished, Vance looked down at the vial now in his hand, Owen had made a sound bargain. He was right...Vance had no other choice but to accept.

Reaching at his ankle, Vance procured a small gun as he contemplated a few scenarios. Gun in one hand, X in the other, he quickly took the hit of X. Letting out a soft sigh of relief as the buzzing in his head settled and he was able to focus more. He didn't trust the man, despite everything, but the old saying went 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'. Turning his gaze toward the other room, he threw the empty vial of X to the ground as the glass shattered. Rika was all that mattered, and he would get to her no matter what. Entering the room with the gun aimed at Owen's back he grinned, "So...what is your plan?" his finger twitched at the trigger but he slowly lowered the gun and waited.

Owen had his back to the door. He was wearing armor taking from one of the more intact dark police bodies and as array of six knives, three on each side of his back ready to be drawn, glinted in the light. He was just sliding the last on in and securing it when Vance walked in. He stood and turned to Vance picking a long coat up from the table and putting it on over the armor.

"The plan? It simple. After the opera they have everyone out looking for me, grabbing up whose with overdue organs while they're about it. The streets have never been his busy. That means theres less men at home. Theres enough bodies here that we can both dress up for the cameras, let them think we're coming back fat with organs."

He gestured to four bags on the table, presumably stuffed with the remains of Legato's men, their grizzly ticket in.

"Once inside I know the way, if anyone tries to stop up... thats why I need you. Alone I've never get close. Your sister and Legato would be in the central sector so once inside there we find her, then Legato."

he lifted one of the helmets from the table and handed it to Vance. "Get dressed, we don't want to be late."

View attachment 6835Legato looked out the window of his top floor penthouse. He was in his bedroom, cognac in hand, fire burning brightly in the cobble stone fireplace. Business as usual. The emotion he felt was one of victory. Angel was dead, and he was happy. He tossed aside her memory like a dog tossing aside a dirty old bone. If there was anything to be missed, it was all superficial, the way she used to wrap her lips around his…

The phone rang, killing the silence and making Legato stir uneasily. But why was he uneasy, everything had gone smoothly?

"Legato." He snapped into the phone, setting down his drink

The voice of a Dark policeman spoke, breathlessly, on the other end.

"We received some unexpected resistance tonight, however the cutter will be yours by morning, either dead or alive…"

Legato was growing weary of problems, not only with his cutters but also with the Dark police. Couldn't his men, his employees, do anything right? He stifled his tongue. After the flawless murder, how could he possibly be upset.

"Be sure that he is….."

He shut the cell phone, set in on the table and picked up his drink. While he poured the brownish liquor down his throat, his gaze shifted towards the bed room. He had a new play thing, young, beautiful, naive, everything Angle used to be.

His belt was already hanging on it's last loop as he entered the dimly lit room. Rika lay on the bed clad only in a silk nightgown, looking at him with question. The light from the fire caught his eye, illuminating his booze glazed eyes, the hint of a lust induced smirk stretching across his face. He would enjoy this, mostly because she would not.

With a rough hand, he hiked the gown up past her navel. Spittle flew from his slightly parted lips. He didn't even bother taking his shoes off as he pulled her to him. He could feel a tightness in her body as he parted her legs. She didn't want this, which made him want it that much more.

Sometimes, when a man has everything, it is that which he takes by force that is most rewarding.

Legato savagely indulged himself in what he thought of as victorious lust.

Rika didn't know how much time had passed since the day she'd been christened as Legato's new play toy. She just knew the pain he inflicted in her and the time lost with each moment she was awake in the nightmare of life. Ever since that night, Rika had felt numb and empty. Many times she'd contemplating just ending it all right here and now, ending the nightmare, but then what of Vance.

"Vance..." she whispered his name softly as she stared listlessly at the decaying city beneath her. She'd made her debut, put on her smiles, and took her role as the new face of Neocore. However, all she did was envy that Angel had been given an out. Now she was left alone, afraid of what fate she'd signed Vance over to. Legato had his men out after Owen for a while now, and he was starting to become irate at their lack of progress. Who better to take out his frustration than his new muse?

Without warning the doors to her private room were thrown open as Legato made his way in. Despite his hold over her, she still had some sense of humanity and fight left in her. The only sense of control left. Legato, though, seemed to revel in it. That look in his eyes...she felt herself gripped forcefully from behind as her hand fell to her side, the curtain closing. She put up little fight this time, she was much to tired.

By the time he finished, Rika was left in a crumpled heap on the floor. Blood trickled from some new wound, but it would be taken care of. Legato left, and the nurses and doctors came in to mend the broken doll. "Leave me alone. Get! Out!" she shouted sending them away. They obeyed her orders as she let the few tears fall. The doors were thrown open once more as the nurses returned. Thrashing she was put in place with the familiar dosage of tranquility. The high doses of X in her system should have overloaded her system, but Legato knew what he was doing. Pupils dilated, she was re-sculpted for her part. So the cycle continued. Vance...where are you she whispered in her distant thoughts.

~~~~~~

Vance listened to the short and simple plan. Typical. Taking the helmet he stared at it with disgust and loathing. All those years of his life running and killing these bastards...now he had to put on their skin. Ironic? Maybe, maybe not. "The cutter trusting his prey...this just gets fucking better and better." He sneered as he began to slip finally into the hated outfit. Saving the helmet for last he put it on, quite looking the part actually. Perhaps in some other life-time he might make the star cutter. What a shame.

Vance. Rika's voice echoed in his mind as if she were calling out to him for help. For a moment his hands faltered and he lost grip of reality. "Rika..." he whispered her name tenderly. Reaching out as if she were right there calling for him. No sooner had the illusion came than it dissipated. Owen stood silently watching this lapse of reality. The bonds of love wore heavy on one's psyche in such situations of distress. Perhaps Owen knew this better than anyone. Vance had fallen to his knees in the momentary distortion. Bringing a hand ot his head, Owen reached out his to pull the sorry sight to his feet.

"Lets go--" Vance simply said with a flat tone as he hoisted his load over his shoulders, "If you wanted back-up for this...then fine. I'll give you that. This is no more than a business agreement. Once each of our debts is made...that is it and I'm free from this contract" he said as the two left. It was time to free Rika.

"I don't trust you." Owen said simply. "But I know what you're after and I'm helping you get it." beneath the visor Owen wore a wry smile as he holstered one of the guns from the table. With so many dead dark police they weren't starved for weapons or ammunition, still Owen traveled light taking only what he needed to get in the door. "We'll take their car." he said taking two of the bags from the table and heading for the door. "For what its worth, I feel sorry for your sister, I know what shes going through, Angel went through the same."

He pushed the door open and waited to Vance before he stepped outside towards the sleek outline of the waiting car saved form the scene of the slaughter his mind moving away from Vance and back to Angel Sweet, he had the feeling he would see her again soon, her face formed of blood or flesh it didn't matter.

"One more thing Vance, let me do the talking."

He pulled open the back door and heaved the bags inside, "And whatever you do don't take off your helmet."

*​

The car slid smoothly down the street, unhurried and silent. But inside the atmosphere was different. Owen had achieved a state of expectant calm his every though turned towards the task ahead, his hate for Legato fueling the serenity in a way that could only be described as cold bloodlust.

Ahead however yellow lights flashed and several of Legato's goons shined a spotlight on the car, Owen could feel Vance's gaze, Vance;d expectations that Owen would turn into the side street. But that would only raise suspicion and lead to another checkpoint. They had sprung up in recent times in a ring around neocore and segmenting the rest of the city into search zones. Owen was a wanted man and his evasion of the Dark Police was causing Legato more than a little embarrassment on the public stage.

Owen stopped the car as one of the cops approached the window, flashlight in hand and slowly the tinted glass slid down.

"Hey." Owen said as the man recognized the uniforms they were wearing. "We got a full load and are taking the spoils home before they spoil." he jabbed his thumb at the bags in the back. "Lots of trouble tonight can't wait to put my head down and catch some sleep."

The policeman nodded and shine the light into the car checking the back for passengers. "I'll just need to see your cards, you know the drill." he replied still shining the light into their faces, luckily their visors compensated.

"Right our cards." Owen said taking two from the dashboard and passing them out the window waiting for the dp to scan them and hand them back. "Hey weren't you boys meant to he hunting that guy, I heard your numbers on the dispatch."

"He was gone before he got there, found a few customers though..."

"No no no no. I heard it all they...."

He never got to finish his sentence before there was a spray of blood that arced away fro him and her was dragged into the and cold metal found his throat. The officers around the car would not be surprised however and all drew their pistols and opened fire.

"SHIT." Owen ducked down and pulled Vance down with him. "We had to run into one they knew what he was doing... come on this is the first obstacle between you and your sister now lets go."

Bullets were hitting the car like lead hailstones and the windows shattered almost immediately as hole after hole was punched into the metal. They couldn't stay. Owen leached for the door handle and wrenched it open rolling out and dropping to the tar before rolling under the car and to the passenger side where to could act as light cover, then his pistol came to his hand and he rose.

One round, two, three. He came up shooting and not expecting them to be armed the first took his right in the chest, the second spun and fell to the ground , the thrid too cover just in time.

"This is your plan?" he heard Vance's voice from behind him.

"If you had a bullet in you thet would have waved us through." Owen snapped back. "Too bad its too late for that."

Vance growled at Owen as the firing squad let loose. This wasn't his description of a 'walk in the park'. Owen's comments didn't help, just made Vance want to slight the man's throat right then and there and say fuck the deal. However, he knew that Owen WAS the only link he had to getting Rika back now. And that royally pissed him off.

"How about you shut your fucking mouth...I'm sure if you had a bullet in you they'd be just as happy. After all, you ARE the murderer to one of Paradisio's most iconic figures...oh wait my bad past iconic figures"

Bit low even for Vance, but he wasn't in the mood and the X was already starting to fade in effect some. If just getting Rika out wasn't the end of him, surely the high concentration of drugs built up in his system over the years would be. Grabbing what guns he had quick access to, Vance followed after Owen keeping watch of the man's back, though he was cutting it close a few times. However not before the two had a momentary face off about ready to pull the trigger on eachotehr instead. The silence was broken as bullets whizzed past them and the two broke to shoot at the DP instead.

"Well...seems we need to break ourselves a path unless you want to just run" Vance said with a smirk, "got another hit of X? or was that it?" he said ducking behind an old dumpster for momentary cover. Owen didn't seem to hear or care about giving Vance another hit. Reaching into his coat Vance brought out one of his own vials and injected the liquid quickly. Feeling the rush, his pupils dilated and his heart raced as that manic grin spread across his lips, "Forward and on" he slurred as he made sure his guns were loaded and moved from behind the dumpster, hoping Owen would follow lead.

It was as if watching a movie in slow-motion during an action scene, at least to Vance. He began to open fire on the bombarding DP, cutting them down one by one to create the path they needed for escape. The streets of Paradisio were going to be stained red until Legato was taken down and Rika saved...

Looking down the barrel of a gun into Vance's eye Owen was more tempted to pull the trigger than he had ever been before, anger hate, frustration, everything was focused on the man before him, it was only a bullet tearing into the wall between then that broke the tension, they had other people trying to kill them tonight.

"Addicts." he spat, weak, dependent on their fix and unreliable without it, their organs were only good for slurry.. HAD only..

"Here." He unhitched a bag from his shoulder and slid it along the ground to Vance, "Theres two left."

They were behind cover but the bullets wising around them make it almost impossible for them to duck out and get a shot off. They were trapped and he knew how the dark police thought. It was only a matter of time before they circled around and their cover would be useless. But Owen wasn't done. We wasn't going to stumble on the first obstacle. With a sharp series of clicks he slid a fresh clip into his pistol and from his belt pulled a small metal. It wasn't on of the grenades he carried but a smoke bomb, two taps later and he set his visor to compensate. He would have a second's advantage is we was lucky, but it would be enough.

"For this life an Angel Sweet,
And a monster for too meet,
Legato will fall this day,
Those who stop me,
You will pay."

The words seemed out for place in the heat of the gunfight, but Owen it seemed was no longer filled with rage, his voice was calm, his words slow, as if he knew we would have his revenge and the dozen men shooting at them were a momentary inconvenience.

Crouching behind the low wall he threw the bomb and instantly drew a knife. There was a moment of stillness before with a bang the area was covered in white smoke and with his feet on the top of the wall Owen lept into it.

At first there was only white before it became clearer. On indistinct shape.... BANG.

Another his hands adjusting his visor, a slash across his throat and he was down.

Another looking around, the impact of a gun slammed into the back of his neck and a knife in his spine.

Two more, bang bang.

A bullet wizzed past him, and he turned and returned fire, three in the chest, a well trained spread. Six bullets down, two left 5 enemies down, about that many left. The smoke was beginning to clear and another DP came into view. A round into his throat and a boot onto his stomach, then a light hit him full in the face and blinded him. Owen raised his arm and stepped back, the battle calm he had experienced dissipating under the spotlight's assault. And for one critical moment, he was vulnerable.

View attachment 7049"N-n-n-n...no, sir…Mr. Legato, sir, but I assure you they will be stopped. That cutter, Owen, and…and…and the other one…"

Mr. Right, Legato's long time director of affairs stammered and shuffled his feet. Mr. Right was nervous, not so much because of the cutter who had apparently gone 'off the reservation' but more so because of the look in Legato's eye tonight. It wasn't his usual look, the one that said 'I'm in charge and everything is under control' , that was gone. The look in his eye tonight was absent of feeling, absent of humanity, absent of sanity.

"Mr. Right."

Legato stood from behind his desk, hands pressed against its highly polished, cherry wood surface, fingers strained against the pressure from his body in ten focal points that made the veins stand out on the backs of his hands.

"Do we even have positive identification on these…criminals?"
Of course it was Owen and Vance to whom he was referring.

"Well, no sir…but..I.I.I"

Legato ignored him, taking his fingers off the desk and walking towards the frightened man, who up until this moment, had been a valued employee.

"But you what? Wanted to make assumptions? Wanted to….disturb me with your wild conspiracy theory?"

Legato screwed up his face, teeth gritted as he took a step closer. He stood at a solid six foot four, and towered above Mr.Right who pushed about five foot five with boots on.

"You fucking little worm. Do you know who the fuck I am?"

Legato's eyes were glazed over, squinted under an invisible pressure, looking like the mad king who has just realized his castle's walls have been breached. His arm shot out, his mouth open now in a hideous scowl, white spit forming at the corners. His hand closed tightly around Mr. Right's neck. The force was excruciating. Mr. Right's face exploded into a silent scream, drool slid from his open jaw. As Legato forced the man to the ground, his other hand joined the party.

"You little fucking worm!"
Legato growled, applying serious pressure now, feeling Mr. Right's quickened pulse beat against his hands.

Mr Right's eyes bulged as tears poured down his face, he clawed fruitlessly at Legato's iron grip. The same grip he had used on Rika during sex, and before that, on that bitch Angle. Legato sunk his neatly trimmed nails into the backs of his own enclosed hands as blood blossomed and ran, mixed with sweat, down his arms. He felt Mr. Right's body give a sudden twitch, then slump. He released him.

"Don't assume, Mr. Right. When you assume it makes an ass out of me."
He said, schoolmarmish and mockingly. "You pathetic fuck."

Legato's mind had finally ripped under the pressure of a job meant for fifty men, but he didn't care. He basked in the release it gave him, like an infected tooth finally being twisted out of it's bloody socket. Fuck them all, he thought. Legato was gone, crazy, but not totally absent of reason. He was sure that fuck Owen was gunning for him, it was only a matter of time before they met. Legato would be ready. He walked across the room and hit a hidden switch located behind his bookshelf, a secret panel slid to the side revealing a treasure trove of various arms and explosives. Legato didn't care for most of it, nope, today he went for a teflon vest and his 12 gauge pistol grip. He took off his Armani jacket and put the vest on over his white undershirt, cocked his weapon and walked over to the huge window. The insanity still boiled in his eyes, but reason was also present. Enough reason to handle business, and that was good because beneath it all Legato was a business man.

"Come to me, my little cutter."
Legato whispered into the night's sky, a smile curling the edge of his lips "come see what I've got for you."

Appointments and meetings, despite the way business worked for Rika, she preferred these times and her public appearances more than her private meetings with Legato. Barbaric wasn't even a term that could come close to describing his true nature. He was something much worse. Rika was on her way from a public meeting to a private scheduled one when she was suddenly pulled aside by her personal guards. She wasn't far from the HQ, Legato never let her get that far. She was nothing more than his pet on a leash.

"What's going on?" She said noticing the nervousness in the guard's posture. They said nothing but simply pulled her along back toward the large front doors of HQ. This baffled Rika as Legato was ALL about business and his damn plans. "You're hurting me...what's going on, I'm going to be late for my appointment, and I'd rather not have Legato--"

"It's taken care of...he wants you back now. No questions asked, now move."

She was forced back to HQ as she paused. Were those gunshots and the sound of helicopters she heard in the distance? What was going on. She paused a moment outside the HQ doors wanting to find out what all the ruckus was about, but she was brutally taken by the arm and forced inside the doors. "Unhand me!" she demanded as she pulled herself free from the guard's tight grasp. She was being lead down familiar halls. She knew where she was going, but she didn't know why. It was the WHY part that made her anxious. Something was up, and it was big. She didn't like it.

Once in front of Legato's door, the guards knocked and then quickly cleared out (save for two who stayed to make sure that Rika stayed). Not that she was going anywhere, Legato had eyes on her constantly when she was in HQ. There was a soft click as the door unlocked and the guards took their leave. Rika moved forward and entered into his lair. Per usual it was dimly light and reminded her of a dark cave. Standing behind his desk with his back to her was the beast of the cave. Ready to devour her and leave only her flesh and bones, a chill went down her spine and goosebumps rose on her skin. Her heart pounded as she stopped in the middle of the room, "What is going on?" she said firmly. Legato stood with his feet firmly planted and his hands folded behind his back. He seemed to be staring out at the vast city of Paradisio, but something about him was off. The faint light in the room silhouetted his body giving him even more an intimidating air. Rika wanted to turn and flee, but her determination not to let Legato get the best of her kept her feet somehow planted. He spoke softly and with an overly eerie calm in his voice, but there was just a hint of something else there. Almost as if he were finally breaking, caving a bit under all the pressure.
"Rika, dear, so nice of you to come on such short notice. I hope this isn't burdensome for you."

"What do you want--"

"There is something we must discuss...tell me, are you happy here Rika?"

"If you want me to be, yes, then I am happy I--"

"Oh, good. You always were a smart one...tell me, your brother Vance...have you heard from him lately? I hear he's been a VERY busy man." At this point Legato slowly turned to face her, placing his hands on the desk as he leaned forward to look her over. Only his face was illuminated by the light now, and the look told Rika enough. Danger. Her heart raced as she turned quickly and moved toward the door, but there was an audible buzzard noise as the doors clicked locked. Even knowing this she instinctively pulled at the handles trying to escape. Legato calmly straightened himself, smoothed out his suit, and casually strode toward the frightened Rika.

"Now, now...no need to be afraid, this is just going to be a little...private discussion" That cheshire grin spread across his lips as his hands fell upon Rika's shoulders and turned her around, forcing her into the door behind her. The beast was feral and not in good spirits, but he was bearing it with a grin and a deep hunger. The lights flickered and more of the room became illuminated. It was then that Rika saw the body of Mr. Right. Lifeless and slumped in the corner now. Her eyes widened as she took in breath to scream, but a hand clasped tightly over her mouth and muffled any cries she would make. When Legato was angry he sought his release, and right now his release was going to be on Rika.

As Legato unleashed his fury filled passion, Rika was left numb. At the end she was thrown to the side like a rag doll worth nothing. Her hair was a mess, her clothing destroyed, her body beaten, cut, bruised, bleeding. She was lucky to be alive still at this point. Legato, breathing heavily, but still smiling, fixed his clothing and threw a robe at her as he simply paged the good doctors. "Come make sure she doesn't continue to bleed on my floor...also we'll need clean-up for Mr. Right...I have business to attend to."

As she slipped into the robe, Legato crouched beside her and brushed a strand of hair from her face "Nothing personal...just business" he said with that wolf-like grin again. Kissing her on the forehead, Legato left. Rika turned away and simply waited as the good doctors came to fix the broken doll.

Vance watched Owen work with a slight fascination, but his hatred for the man still boiled. The only reason he could pitty the man was that his actions stemmed clearly from something more. Just like Vance, he too had lost something. When the spotlight came on Owen, his guard was down. Vance, luckily, was used to such trivialities and kept watch of Owen's back. He needed the man to get to Rika, after all. Opening fire, he took down two DP who could have sealed Owne's fate. One in the throat the other through the chest.

Vance sighed as he pushed forward toward Owen, using the last of his clips to clear the pathway. Tossing the guns aside, he pulled out his next weapon, a machete. It'd have to do until he found another gun. Grabbing Owen by the arm, he pulled him along, "Come on, snap out of it" he spat at the man, "You got anymore of those smoke doo dads? We can use it for cover and escape to the tunnels. We can get to Legato's HQ faster--"

Well, perhaps the man wasn't as stupid as he seemed. The spotlights continued to shine down on them as Vance began to clear the path again. Though, bullets vs sword...usually the winner is obvious. Bullets flied past them as they prepared for the final assault. Fed up with waiting, Vance simply grabbed for Owen and reached for the nearest bomb-like item he could grasp. Pulling the pin he tossed and pulled Owen along to take cover.

Another plume of noxious white smoke spread out as Vance grabbed Owen again and pulled him along toward the walls. Pulling on a trap door, the two quickly descended a flight of stairs and eventually ended up back in the complex sewer systems. "Come on, this way" Vance said as he limped along. He seemed to know his way well. The DP would be after them again soon enough, but at least this gave them a little more lee-way. With the DP still on their tales, they came out of the tunnel system again 10 mins later, and were nearby the large HQ building of Neocore, just as Vance had said.

DP and Cutters were crawling and patrolling everywhere though. Ducking behind a trashcan, Vance watched the entrance a moment, "Well...how do you suppose we get inside now that we're here?"

Before leaving the tunnel Owen left a present for their pursuers. A brick of plastic explosives with an invisible laser tripwire. "The pan was to drive in and act like we had a load to return but thats shot. Theres only one thing to do.

Owen slid a fresh clip into his pistol before speaking again. The last he had. "This entire floor is bulletproof glass and guard dogs. The place is a fortress. Theres no way to sneak in and if we take the front door we're up against enough guns to fight a war. I say we stick to the original plan. GO through the garage." he slapped the side of Vance's helmet. "One more dance and you can drop this thing." the bloody knife still in his hand he led the way in a crouched run slipping between the regular patrols and down into the garage level.

Their uniforms threw the guards off. These were not dark police, these were rent a cops, after all who would break into the employee parking.

Owen waved casually the knife concealed behind his arm. "Hey guys." he said casually taking off his helmet and handing it to the guard. "Tough day, tough day. You wouldn't believe what I've been through today. Madness out there, glad to be back here honestly, days almost over."

The guards looked at eachother.

"We can't let you in without seeing an ID." one said handing Owen his helmet back only for the cutter to idly toss it aside.

"One second.. here it is." he produced a card with a very different man on it, the former owner of the uniform.

"Wait this i.." Stab, twist, repeat. Two dead guards.

Owen looked up, the blank stair of a camera meeting his gave. Helmet off, dead men at his feet there was no mistaking him. He raised his hand and waved casually as the ground shook and the men who had been following them were sealed inside a collapsing tunnel.

"Hello Legato.." Owen said grinning at the camera "I've come to tender my resignation."

Vance simply followed behind Owen as they entered into the stronghold. Owen seemed to have things under control. The only thing Vance focused on right now was finding Rika and getting her out of this hell hole. Owen easily dispatched the two guards at the entrance and soon the tunnels behind them were heard collapsing. Vance might not like the guy, but he did have to respect his skill level.

Vance said nothing as he passed under the video feed. Instead he aimed his gun at the camera lens, smiled, and shot the thing. Reloading the gun he had two clips left. Moving forward into the stronghold they came to the main foyer where more guards were waiting for them. The 'workers' cowered as their faces appeared, "Time to clean house" he Vance said with a wicked grin as he opened fire. Though his initial actions seemed rather uncouth, his aim was precise and he hit the targets he wanted (for the most part). Emptying the clip he moved ever forward as he did so moving toward the elevators. He figured Owen would have his back, since they both needed to get to the elevators to get to their goals. Their time together was nearing an end.

Blood trickled from his wounds, but he was running on adrenaline and the remainder of X, so he really didn't notice. When he was close enough, he put the gun away and drew out two hunting knives. Using some skill and mostly brute force he began to cut his way further toward the elevators. Rika. She was the only thing on his mind now. They were nearing the home stretch, he knew it. The blood spattered animal was awoken. Soon, soon things would be right again. Rika, I'm coming.

Owen was indeed following close behind but when Vance reached the elevator he put his hand on his shoulder stopping him. "You're going to get yourself killed. As soon as those doors open bullets and grenades will tear the inside apart. Now get in."

He pushed Vance into the elevator and quickly shot the camera pressed one of the buttons and smiled. Before jamming the door open. "Bare with me."

He opened more lifts and repeated the process each time giving it a different floor and each time making sire the camera got both them going into each one before shooting it.

"Right this ones going where we need to be. Now move fast."

He kicked the detritus holding the doors open before sliding into the right one with Vance and the doors slid closed. Now them and five decoy elevator were climbing Legato's fortress. But Owen wasn't done.

"We'll be safer on top when this thing arrives. Besides its going one floor below medical. If your flower isn't there its the easiest way to her room in any case. Once you have her I'll go after Legato."

View attachment 7519A boiling look of rage rose into Letgato's eyes, eyes that seemed void of emotion and humanity. Usually he took his anger out on Rika, but tonight, even after the savage, one sided, dominate act that Legato called sex, it was still there. It felt like shards of glass tearing at the backs of his eyes. Legato didn't know it, and probably never would, but a hemorrhage was threatening to erupt in his brain. A consequence of too much stress, for far too long. A job made for ten men had taken its toll.

A crazed man now stood in Legato's office, holding Legato's gun and wearing Legato's shoes. A crazed man that didn't care about life or death.

Legato leaned against his desk. The contents that occupied the top had been thrown off, and now lay strewn across the floor like the aftermath of a tornado. His well organized papers, three hundred dollar pen set, his 'special citizen' award, all the order and neatly arranged items that made up his primary place of business was in chaos. He was in chaos, a changed man. Like a child who has finally realized there is no santa, Legato envisioned a new truth. If these fuckers were really coming for him, and after seeing Owen on the camera he had no doubt that they were, then let them come. Legato would dominate them, just as he dominated his lovers. They were all worthless whores in his opinion, trashy street people that deserved no better treatment than a stray dog.

Legato prepared to make a last stand. Engulfed in fearless lunacy, he swore one thing: If he didn't see the sun rise in the morning, neither would they.

Vance stared coldly at Owen but he obeyed what he said. They were almost there. Almost to his prize, to Rika. I'm coming. There was a soft jolt of the elevator as it began its long ascent to the top floor. To the heart of the beast. Vance remained quiet through the ride, simply staring forward as his hands still grasped the blood stained hunting knives. Fresh blood dripped from their tips forming small pools on either side of him. Added to that was Vance's own blood from various wounds, none fatal, but he certainly was lucky for still standing. If Owen wasn't being the voice of reason, Vance surely would have perished by now. Rika... Vance's thoughts wandered.

Vance and Rika Harwell had it all! The life of luxury and bliss where money could buy them anything they wanted. Though their life seemed perfect, their parents were extreme socialites, basking in the glorious spotlight and often leaving their forgotten children in the care of others (mostly the nannies and menservants). Because there were never really any other children around Rika and Vance only really had one another, and they came to grow quite affectionate and possessive of one another because of this. However, they were okay with this. Rika was never as strong as Vance, though, and he always seemed to be her guardian.

Like anything else everything good must come to an end. No sooner had they gotten used to their lives than everything was taken away from them because of some pandemic. Cast into the streets they had only each other, and Vance saw Rika quickly fading away. One rainy day as Rika laid sick in his arms, so frail like a child, he took her to the only place he knew. Bruce. He'd been an old time pot head X dealer. Despite his tendency to space case, he tended to have really good information too. Through him, Vance found the help he needed and the cycle began. However, it was all for survival. They were still young at this point, Rika no more than 18 years old.

As she came through from the ordeal, she looked up at Vance with a smile in her eyes, "I love you, Vance." she whispered so tenderly. Vance knew he loved Rika with all his heart as well. He brushed a strand of hair from her face so tenderly, "I will never let anything take you away from me." He promised and kissed her forehead. That night, when Rika was stronger (and perhaps with a little enhancement from the X) the two held each other in a passionate embrace for the first time. As the saying goes, the rest was history...

There was a soft dinging noise as the elevator jolted once more. They'd reached their floor. Snapping from his memories Vance turned toward Owen, "you don't think they'll let us off that easy...I have a feeling we'll need to prepare for the worst anyways when those doors open." HIs face was grim but it soon turned into a wicked smile. Replacing his hunting knives he took out the gun once more. "Two clips...that's what I have left" he loaded one of the clips and looked toward Owen, "see you in hell" he said with a grin as the elevator dinged once more and the doors slowly began to open...

Owen beat Vance to the punch. TH medical crew had been the only ones why treated him and Anger Sweet as anything more than a killer and a fame whore, if there was anyone he could get information out o it was them.

Still he wen in gun first and was met by the entire medical crew, arms crossed, waiting.

"The face and the pig, where are they Vincent." he was looking at the medical chief.

"Going to kill another star Owen?" came the reply. "Did you stay up one night to many, did the strain get too much? Why did you kill Angel Sweet?"

"Why did you kill her?" the question was echoed by a few in the crowd.

"I didn't." Owen replied.. "I didn't, I didn't I didn't Ididn'tidintididnt."

"We all saw you on the news, I was there in person. You kill her in cold blood and we're not going to let you kill another spokesperson you sick fuck. You killed your own lover just because she was retiring and now you're here to kill the reason she retired. We're not letting you."

The medical crew was beginning to back away, preparing for the ambush to come, even Vincent was edging towards cover but Owen, not lost in grief wasn't taking notice, his gun almost forgotten in his hand, then he shook himself.

"You fucking ASSHOLES! IT WAS HIM IT WAS...."

Blackness.

Owen collided with Vance in a tackle driven by pure instinct before rolling away in the dark. The the room was ablaze in a series of rapid flashes. Muzzle flash from fully automatic weapons.

Trapped behind a medical counter Owen's blood was boiling.

"YOU FUCKERS! I'M GOING TO REAL YOUR GUTS OUT AND....."

He stood and opened fire, One asshole down, a bullet though the face, Two, gurgling sounds from what was left of his throat as he fell.

"WAAAAAHHHAAAAAHAHAHHA....."

He saw the DP turn towards him lit up by the flashes of gunfire, his night vision goggles making his face seem inhuman.

Bang.

Owen's face changed to an expression of surprise as the bullet caught his chest and he was knocked from his feet the second shot shattering the medical cabinet behind him. The ceiling came into view, then darkness, then the flying glass, then darkness, then the counter.... then darkness.

Owen had lost his bloody mind! Vance took a moment to connect with reality again as everything happened. The tackle was mostly what brought him back to his senses. Even Vance had to admit that everyone was playing the Angel Sweet death card a little harshly upon Owen. Then again these were Legato's brain washed idiots running about. He was covering for Owen when a single shot rang out. Vance turned to see Owen go down. His only chance left to get Rika. It was Vance's turn to 'blow' in a sense. "NO!"

He needed to think of a plan, but he was never the plan maker. Often he acted on instinct and left the planning to someone else...like Rika. Least when he was on is X induced rages he would. He could be very calculating when no X was involved. Quickly he looked around. His first priority was to take down the mass of DP, they were the largest threat. The Medics were pansies. He caught sight of a medical cart that had what appeared to be oxygen tanks on it. If he timed it right and had lady luck with him he might be able to pull this off. It would be harder without Owen covering his back, but he'd come this far! Bullets whizzed overhead as he continued to duck, pieces of the counter flying over his head, "fuck" he muttered, "fuck! fuck! fuck! This was not the time to get your ass killed! I need you! I need to get to Rika!" picking up Owen a moment he threw a punch across his face (he thought the guy was dead after all) and let him fall where he was. "Fine, I won't let you stand between Rika and me. I'll take all of you down" Fumbling into his pocket he took out the last vial of X he had and quickly injected it into himself. Closing his eyes he relished the feeling that overcame him as his eyes began to dilate. It was now or never. He needed to get that tank to the DP.

Putting in his last clip he took a deep breath to calm him and focused his thoughts on Rika alone. Finally he popped up from behind the counter like a weasel and charged forward. Immediately he was met by a barrage of bullets aimed to kill, but Vance was still quick even in the state he was in. Keeping his sights open he returned fire with his one gun. Bang! The bullet cut through the artery of one man's throat. Bang! Through the forehead of another. Bang Bang! Two fell back shot through the chest. He made it finally to the cart, ignoring the nicks from the stray bullets. Now came the luck part. Using his momentum he took the cart and began to drag it quickly down the hall toward the DP using himself as a sort of shield against the onslaught of gunfire. He'd have to turn, shove, jump, shoot, and pitch and pray he made the break off hall for cover in time.

Reaching the break off point he gave the cart one last shove as the cart took off forward toward the DP. Don't hit it, Don't hit it. Vance kept chanting in his head. He needed timing/luck for this. Luck seemed to be on his side as he dove and shot finally at the cart with the oxygen tanks on it. He'd just made his cover when the bullets hit the tanks and created a large explosion. The ground shook and fire alarms began to go off as the smoke rose. Vance managed to get out of the blast range so he wasn't overly harmed, but his ears were certainly ringing now, causing him to be slightly disoriented. Getting back to his feet. For those DP who survived the smoke from the explosion and the fire would give him enough cover to get back to Owen.

Rushing back he dove once more behind the counter and prepared to scour Owen's pockets for anythign useful when the son of a bitch suddenly coughed and stirred. Vance looked down at him in disbelief and suddenly pulled back some of Owen's over shirt to reveal the armor underneath. Son of a fucking bitch! Vance oculd shoot the man right then and there, but he still needed him. Growling he yanked Owen into a seated position, "wake up asshole!" he smacked him a few times, "Get. Me. To. Rika" he ordered.

"Get me go."

He words came weakly but with an undercurrent of insistence. "Theres grenades under there do you want to blow us both to hell?"

Owen's eyes were open and his hand felt his chest where the bullet had his, the metal slug still nestled in the armor. His nose was bloody and he was bruised. Vance has injured him more than the dark police had in their entire time hunting him.

Getting to his feet he pushed past Vance surveying the damage. The lights were out and there was a small fire in one of the corners, spirinklers would kick in if it grew too big, pitty.

Seeing his target he stepped over to the medical chief who was recovering from the explosion and pulled him to his feet pinning him to one of the counters, knife glittering in his hand.

"Legato's new bird, where is she?"

Vincent shook his head and Owen immediately punched him across the face. "You see that man behind me? You know I'm fast an efficient. Him? He has no training in killing with minimal damage. Hes a brute, hes full of X, and hes Rika's brother. If you don't tell us where to find her you won't have to worry about me killing you, I'll just step aside and let him do what hes itching to to."

Owen looked hack at Vance, "Really I'm sure hes rearing to do thing I can't even picture. So do yourself a favor, tell us where the girl is."

By not Vincent was shivering and his eyes were wide as he looked at Vance.

"Floor 187, her room is... Angel's old room."

Owen petted the man's cheek "Wasn't so hard, now get out of here."

Owen let the man drop to the floor and turned towards the elevator that he and Vance had come down the night they had met.

Click

"Really Vincent... really?"

In the medical chief's shaking hand was a gun pointed at Owen's back.

"I really didn't want to...."

It was over in a flash, and even though he was a couple of meters away the knife flew through the air faster than could be seen and buried itself int he doctor's chest. "Up the elevator, right, first left, fourth door on the right... lets go, your sister is waiting."

View attachment 7821"Fucking street scum. How is it that a worthless drug addict and that fuck Owen can take out an entire floor of dark police?!" Spittle flew from Legato's lips as he erupted into maniacal laughter, eyes squinted shut, teeth bared like a dog with rabies. His hand was still clutching the pistol grip, while his other held the receiver to an intercom, the one that linked him to his own personal guards. He decided not to waste time waiting for an answer to his rhetorical question.

Somehow these fucks had managed to get the best of his dark police, he'd see them all in cuffs before the end of the night.

"Bring them to me, if you can't get them both. Bring that worthless ex-employee of mine. Owen. The cutter. Alive."
His voice went deep in his throat and the words that came out next sounded more like a growl "The fucking cutter, I want him on a spit!" He threw the receiver to the ground of his office, not even bothering to hang it up.

Directly down the hall from Legato's office a double door opened as five hulking men stepped out, each standing at over 6 feet and packing a good 200lbs. Across their keg sized chests, vests were strapped and in their hands steel batons. These 'personal guards' would serve Legato to the death, and would also take Owen Alive. If they didn't, they would die trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.