[OOC] By Magic Bound [Accepting!]

Sorry for my two days of silence, started packing for my move. I'll try to post and reply to stuff (pms) tomorrow before I go back to packing. promise. gonna be a bit...busy the next week or two, though, might not show up more than once every other day or so.

Also, I think its fine. After Verbal posts, we can make the characters talk to each other. we'll figure something out.

I'm sorry I'm taking so long!! I want my characters to be good and not just corny and also that I can pull them together well. I'm working on one now! It should have it done at the latest by tomorrow.

Take your time, Crimson, like I said, I'm busy.

Sorry I was gone for...um...two, three days? Whatever it was. Packing is exhausting work. Anyway, back now, have a few more Pms to reply too...then I'll see about making a post. Not sure if I should let Verbal post first or ....what.

Okay, I got one of my characters finished! I copied the template right from the tab but some things are different for some reason? I'll be working on my second character and third character a little later to hopefully get them up tomorrow or Wednesday~

So someone asked me about how the Council of Greater and Lesser Clans actually works. I figured I ought to let everyone know now, rather than worry about asking for revisions and edits later on. Everything I have is in the spoiler. This is just my current understanding of the clans. Suggestions and feedback would be awesome. I don't mind making changes if other people have good ideas or think one of my ideas doesn't really work.

The Greater Clans are the most powerful, wealthy and ancient of the magical families. About half of them are founding houses of the Council, which gives them a great deal of influence among other clans. They are generally a single family, rather than a large family with many branch houses or a series of commonly intermarried families. For example, the Kiseki Clan was made up of the Kiseki family, with more distant relations considered semi-members of the Clan. Members of these clans are most often involved in politics, either directly or subvertly, and are also common among scholars and academics. They rarely become traders or artisans, as they consider it beneath them. Their magic and special abilities are traded for political power, not wealth. Children of the Greater Clans are never sold into bonded servitude (axemi).

Lesser Clans out number Greater Clans about ten to one, perhaps more. A Lesser Clan can be made up of a single small family, with moderate influence and wealth; a small group of minor families bound together out of mutual interest, marriage and/or convenience, smaller factions among magical races, or larger families spread across several branch houses. Lesser Clans often own allegiance or debt to one of the Greater Clans. This comes in the form of magical or political support, and can even include financial aid. If a Greater Clan wants to sell its services, the use a Lesser Clan to do so. For example, the Kiseki Clan created the mage collars used to control Axemi-lis and Axemi-ter; they also crafted boxes, bags and other objects which were bigger on the inside. They used an allied Lesser House to bring these two objects to market. Children of the Lesser Clans are occasionally sold as Axemi-lis or Axemi-ter, although it is mostly caused by losses in the political field than any true desire to provide service to others. Lesser Clans are merchants, scholars, and artisans. A few send children to become Civil servants, but the Lesser Clans political sway remains limited by the Greater Clans.

Human mages are not always born into magical families, and are therefore outside of the protection of the Council. They are most commonly taken as Axemi-lis. Members of magical races can also be born outside the protection of the council; certain races are not included in the Council, and are shunned. Certain individuals have been cast out of their Clan, or choose to live on their own. These children occasionally become Axemi-ter, depending on their families financial situation. Tatari likes to target these people, offering deals for their children, because no one will speak up on their behalf.

The Council itself mirrors the power dynamic of the Clans. Each Clan can send two Representatives to the Council meetings (in addition to a small entourage of servants and bodyguards). One Rep from each of the Greater Clans sits at the table/on the dais. They discuss most of the issues, and make most of the decisions. Their vote is what matters. Primary Reps from the Lesser Clans, sit in seating around the dais. They can be called on to speak, or polled, but their vote is almost irrelevant. Secondary Reps from both the Greater and Lesser Clans are seated behind the primary Reps from the Lesser Clans. Their input is rarely required; they do not vote, cannot be polled, and cannot speak unless specifically asked to do so by a primary Rep of a Greater Clan. Heirs make up about half of this group, while advisers and spouses make up the other half.

So I'm going to be using one of Stella's married sisters for a Secondary Representative of House Sharpscale, then?

That is up to you. Is Stella more likely to bring along an Heir, to learn the ropes, as it were, to watch how things run and to stay abreast of what the Council is doing, or is she more likely the type to bring along a trusted adviser to watch what the Council says and provide feedback later, suggestions and what not?

That's just it, Stella has no heirs, which is why her position as Head of House Sharpscale is under scrutiny. She's not the Mother Echidna because she is unmarried, and has no children.

Technically speaking, it is likely that, until she has children, one of her sisters would be named heir apparent, if not heir in fact. Few houses can withstand the political instability brought about by the complete lack of any kind of heir. The threat of infighting over succession alone could bring down a house; actual infighting would do much more. Not that any of that is important, of course, just a mere philosophical tangent.

That point is, does she want to to know that whoever takes her place knows all the players, understands the rules of the game, and is fully prepared to step up, or is she more optimistic, and she just wants good advice to better strengthen her house's position in the council? She is pretty young, and I imagine she plans to be alive for a very long time, so, in my opinion, I don't think she would be the kind to drag around a spare heir, just in case. I mean, she's your character, and I might not understand her fully, but its possible she hasn't planned for her death, and is more concerned with what she can do for her house while alive, right? Maybe?

She probably plans on killing anything and anyone that tries to take her place. Just saying.

Ehehe. That too.

Right, so. Yaoi Master Gavin has joined our roleplay as the fourth member. His first character profile is up on the front page.

Soooo...um...who plans to post next? anyone?
also, if I have forgotten to give your character a goal, please PM me and ask for one, I've been soooo busy the last few weeks I can't even remember who I gave a goal too. I think it was...one character? maybe two. but yeah, um, reminders are a good thing.

She realises the strain on the clan brought by the absence of an heir, but she is the appointed heir of the former Mother Echidna, and she is looking for a suitor. She keeps a firm grasp on the family by challenging any rebellious family members to a friendly duel. Victory gives the impression that the opponent is too weak to protect the clan, which seats her firmly on the top of the clan hierarchy.

Ah, I think you misunderstood me. I should have been clearer, I apologize. Obviously she was her mother's heir and is now the head of the house or ...working on becoming the head of the house. But who is her heir apparent? With no heir, even a sister tentatively named (and only for as long as Stella lacks children of her own), people will worry about what happens if Stella dies suddenly. That is when the infighting over who will be the heir would occur, not while she was alive. While, some of it might happen if one sister was trying to be named over another sister, but generally most of the fighting in a succession war/battle happens after someone dies without an heir.

And that's why she's trying to find a suitor, and as the head of the clan, she will likely name the Secondary Representative.

Right. Which brings us even further off topic.

What kind of person would she bring with her as a Secondary Representative to the Council of Greater and Lesser Clans? An adviser or an heir-ish?

If she were married, she would bring her husband. If she were widowed, her appointed heir. The difference is gender. She will likely take a pick from her sisters, based on who she believes will be better for the clan.

*poke*
anyone gonna post? I mean, ya don't have to, I think finals are ...soon...for some people, so posts can wait.

Mostly just stopping in to tell you guys I will be super busy the next week and a half, and might not be able to post or stop by to chat or answer PMs or anything like that. But you guys can post. I'll try to stop in when I can.

I just finished three midterms x3 I don't really know what to post either, and homework... *sigh*