Oh, dear God...

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
see

In addition, reading is more than half of the hobby, guys, you shouldn't just be skipping everything everyone says... That's like saying you watch Nascar for the crashes.
You mean people doesn`t always do that?

Wait, wait, wait... I thought you guys WANTED to be able to judge people on the amount they wrote? You're talking about the quality now, and I'm completely on your side there, but... that's definitely not the vibe I was getting earlier. I thought you were getting excited about length instead of quality.
Perhaps it's just a communication error? My apologies. No, I don't want to judge people for what they write. You gave me the information on the categories, I commented there was no lengths tied to them. You gave me an example (one good paragraph or ten ones of "toss"), I replied I'd prefer one good paragraph and would generally ignore the paragraphs of toss. Then you ask why it matters if I don't read them? When I do read them? I just don't like reading stuff that is pointless.

Note, though, that something which has no action isn't necessarily pointless. Mary explaining through narration her emotional state and justification for her actions is useful information to the reader. I'm talking more like, three paragraphs describing, say, a mail box. Then we never, ever go back to this mail box, nor does this mail box ever service any function. That is useless, it's wasting my time. It's not setting up anything, it's just there.

I'm just trying to learn the terminology and categories here, and how the community feels about it in general. If length was important, I'd consider it, but according to most responses and to an administrator, it is absolutely unimportant.

Does that clarify my intentions more appropriately?

Dioxyne said:
In addition, reading is more than half of the hobby, guys, you shouldn't just be skipping everything everyone says... That's like saying you watch Nascar for the crashes.

If I have to read through one hundred paragraphs and ninety of them provide no useful information, this isn't like watching Nascar. This is like trying to watch a movie, and for ninety percent of it, there's commercials blocking the damn screen. xD!

Perhaps it's just a communication error? My apologies. No, I don't want to judge people for what they write. You gave me the information on the categories, I commented there was no lengths tied to them. You gave me an example (one good paragraph or ten ones of "toss"), I replied I'd prefer one good paragraph and would generally ignore the paragraphs of toss. Then you ask why it matters if I don't read them? When I do read them? I just don't like reading stuff that is pointless.

Note, though, that something which has no action isn't necessarily pointless. Mary explaining through narration her emotional state and justification for her actions is useful information to the reader. I'm talking more like, three paragraphs describing, say, a mail box. Then we never, ever go back to this mail box, nor does this mail box ever service any function. That is useless, it's wasting my time. It's not setting up anything, it's just there.

I'm just trying to learn the terminology and categories here, and how the community feels about it in general. If length was important, I'd consider it, but according to most responses and to an administrator, it is absolutely unimportant.

Does that clarify my intentions more appropriately?
Never a trust a woman when she says that length isn't important. Even if she's an admin.

As for the rest, yeah, we'll call it crossed wires and there's no foul on that. The "emotional state" of a character is a bit of mixed bag for me because, in a novel, it moves the plot along by telling the audience just what the character is thinking and feeling at that state. It explains to us why they do what they do in the next chapter. In a roleplay, unless my character is a mind-reader, then a post of nothing but feelings/introspection, no matter how well-written, doesn't really progress the plot. How does my character, or, indeed, any character respond to the girl that's standing still and thinking? If her thoughts bring her to tears then great, there's something, but a post of pure thoughts is tough to respond to.

To clarify, I do understand you point about Mary's feels, I'm just being a contrary douche today.

• Love
Reactions: Torsty
I feel i get to tak responsibility for all good things this has produced. That way i can grow my influence.

Never a trust a woman when she says that length isn't important. Even if she's an admin.

As for the rest, yeah, we'll call it crossed wires and there's no foul on that. The "emotional state" of a character is a bit of mixed bag for me because, in a novel, it moves the plot along by telling the audience just what the character is thinking and feeling at that state. It explains to us why they do what they do in the next chapter. In a roleplay, unless my character is a mind-reader, then a post of nothing but feelings/introspection, no matter how well-written, doesn't really progress the plot. How does my character, or, indeed, any character respond to the girl that's standing still and thinking? If her thoughts bring her to tears then great, there's something, but a post of pure thoughts is tough to respond to.

To clarify, I do understand you point about Mary's feels, I'm just being a contrary douche today.
Ja. Thus why Mary's actions justify an action, if they are emotions tied to nothing, then the information cannot be acted upon by others, which results in it being pointless in terms of a role play.

Actions lead to reactions which lead to actions which lead to reactions. Break the wheel and someone else has to clean up for you afterwards.

Pft. Contrary opinion merely means you're open to debate. I like you already.

This is good.

Malkuthe = Talentless Nazi Homophobe Enabler
Diana = Lazy Admin who supports redundant site elements
Grumpy = Inept troll baiter who upholds vindictive site policy
Hellis = Purveyor of subversive elitism
Tegan = Actually a girl
Asmodeus = Tired of Fags
Brovo = Likes quantity over quality and skips paragraphs
Disgoatled Grunt = Contrary douche

/me continues to be an enigma

This thread is the pits.

The debate has conflated writing expectations with RP expectations, which typically involve the GM's idea of good writing (post count, post length, detail, whatever), and the unavoidable desire for your character to become your avatar. The theory crafting will never stop.

Don't let Asmodeus prod you on. >_>

Reactions: Jade
In other news, the search function actually lets me do what I was after, and I missed it completely.

I am so silly.

Do carry on though. I like the wholesale slaughter of logic that is first impressions.

And thus the arguments continued, with one half of the participants unaware that the other half is drunk.

And that atleast a third having left the argument entirely at one point, only to come back due being fascinated with the sheer madness of it all?

Ah, alcohol. One of the universal equalizers. It will always amuse me that one of humanity's most universally loved beverages is literally poison.

I KNOW. AND NOW I'M BORED.
UH OH!

126005_1.jpg

In conclusion, these tags are stupider than the idea of a straight man pretending to be transgender so he can look at boobs in a locker room.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
In conclusion, these tags are stupider than the idea of a straight man pretending to be transgender so he can look at boobs in a locker room.
I use this same strategy to look at dicks.

*Smiles at everyone in the thread as she sips her coffee.)

:}