Oh, dear God...

Then we'll just have to make NEW assholes! BETTER assholes! With at least 35% more ass per hole!
What you really want is more holes per ass. It increases versatility and efficiency.

Long story short: A lot of us came from a site that structured it opposite to how it's structured here.

Forum categories were levels of writing ability: Advanced, Casual, and Free. (Two+ paragraphs, one+ paragraph, and no writing limit each respectively.) Here, it's arranged by genres, with tags that accommodate writing levels, but there are humorously more levels here than there were from where we came from.

I'm a staunch believer in a little thing called "pacing", which means that sometimes you post several paragraphs, sometimes you post just one, all dependent on the situation at hand. (For instance, going completely wild on purple prose in the middle of a fight scene will murder the tension in the scene, because it'll read painfully in a scene that should be energetic and fast paced to the reader.) Writing level is far less what is implied here, Hellis and Herzinth certainly aren't asking for people to post giant brick walls of death. Hellis is Swedish, he has troubles with English unless he has a spell checker with him. :book:

So basically all they're asking is if there is some way to filter between the several "literary" (I hate that word) levels here when browsing role plays, to find a place where they won't be either overwhelmed or underwhelmed.

Personally I'll probably just forgo the whole thing and ask for a paragraph or more in the thread itself, since adept and what not are pretty vague descriptions for content as others have mentioned.

Reactions: Digi-Guy
Personally I'll probably just forgo the whole thing and ask for a paragraph or more in the thread itself, since adept and what not are pretty vague descriptions for content as others have mentioned.
Have you seen this yet? It might help to explain things a little better.

Have you seen this yet? It might help to explain things a little better.
A little, it mostly details the expectations of the player rather than necessarily the length of their posts. Hrm.

All good though, it is still informative, thank you!

A little, it mostly details the expectations of the player rather than necessarily the length of their posts. Hrm.

All good though, it is still informative, thank you!
Well, with all due respect, I could write one paragraph of quality writing, or ten paragraphs of utter toss. Which would you consider to be the better roleplay?

This thread has shown us many truths.

Malkuthe = Talentless Nazi Homophobe Enabler
Diana = Lazy Admin who supports redundant site elements
Grumpy = Inept troll baiter who upholds vindictive site policy
Hellis = Purveyor of subversive elitism
Tegan = Actually a girl
Asmodeus = Tired of Fags

The truth often is, youngling.

Ignore the fact that you're older than me.

Well, with all due respect, I could write one paragraph of quality writing, or ten paragraphs of utter toss. Which would you consider to be the better roleplay?
One paragraph of quality writing at a time over time will continue to stack up and build a better roleplay and flow together better. You can do more with it. Ten paragraphs of nothing is just that. I would have a player would would give me a short and quality post over someone who gave me a long trainwreck any day of the week.

Here we try to promote that idea that it's not the post length that is important, but the content within the post. So we don't have any post length expectation settings anywhere. O_O

One of high quality. Ten of utter toss is useless.

Besides, when I read posts in a role play, any paragraphs that service no useful function, I don't count. If you wrote ten paragraphs, but only one is useful to anyone around you, then for all tense and purposes, you wrote one paragraph, and nine blocks of rotting shit that will slowly mutate into a cancerous organism, consuming all the life around it like this run-on sentence is making you run out of breath.

Clear enough? :angel:

One of high quality. Ten of utter toss is useless.

Besides, when I read posts in a role play, any paragraphs that service no useful function, I don't count. If you wrote ten paragraphs, but only one is useful to anyone around you, then for all tense and purposes, you wrote one paragraph, and nine blocks of rotting shit that will slowly mutate into a cancerous organism, consuming all the life around it like this run-on sentence is making you run out of breath.

Clear enough? :angel:
If you're going to ignore paragraphs that you don't like, why does it matter how many anyone writes?

Quality is the implied desire; a pile of well-worded nonsense still is nothing, just as much as an incoherent pile of leetspeek is nothing.
Still, it takes time, and words, to transcribe complex thought. Length is still a part of being able to accurately, and eloquently getting across the desired information. You cannot describe an important event like a major battle or breakup in just a few lines; perhaps the emotions, but it's never that simple, and it sure as hell doesn't set a narrative.

If you're going to ignore paragraphs that you don't like, why does it matter how many anyone writes?

Because as a GM if I have to read ten player's posts, and ten of them post ten paragraphs in which only one is useful and nine are not, that's ninety paragraphs of garbage I have to sift through to find ten paragraphs of useful information.

I don't mind people having their own styles of course. If you're an overly wordy kind of person, that's fine, I'll accommodate. It's when people confuse length for quality, and punish others for not meeting their absurd length standards, that kind of stuff drives me nuts. Though that doesn't seem to be present here, so... All good.

Because as a GM if I have to read ten player's posts, and ten of them post ten paragraphs in which only one is useful and nine are not, that's ninety paragraphs of garbage I have to sift through to find ten paragraphs of useful information.

I don't mind people having their own styles of course. If you're an overly wordy kind of person, that's fine, I'll accommodate. It's when people confuse length for quality, and punish others for not meeting their absurd length standards, that kind of stuff drives me nuts. Though that doesn't seem to be present here, so... All good.
Wait, wait, wait... I thought you guys WANTED to be able to judge people on the amount they wrote? You're talking about the quality now, and I'm completely on your side there, but... that's definitely not the vibe I was getting earlier. I thought you were getting excited about length instead of quality.

Wait, wait, wait... I thought you guys WANTED to be able to judge people on the amount they wrote? You're talking about the quality now, and I'm completely on your side there, but... that's definitely not the vibe I was getting earlier. I thought you were getting excited about length instead of quality.
see
Quality is the implied desire; a pile of well-worded nonsense still is nothing, just as much as an incoherent pile of leetspeek is nothing.
Still, it takes time, and words, to transcribe complex thought. Length is still a part of being able to accurately, and eloquently getting across the desired information. You cannot describe an important event like a major battle or breakup in just a few lines; perhaps the emotions, but it's never that simple, and it sure as hell doesn't set a narrative.

In addition, reading is more than half of the hobby, guys, you shouldn't just be skipping everything everyone says... That's like saying you watch Nascar for the crashes.

Here we try to promote that idea that it's not the post length that is important, but the content within the post. So we don't have any post length expectation settings anywhere. O_O
Oh yeah, I start to think the idea of post length requirements are ridiculous too. It starts to impose the idea that people should fill up their posts with mind-numbing drivel. I had a run-in with a player that two extensive paragraphs going quite in-depth doing nothing but describing his sunglasses. I kid you not. It contributed in no way. That is the sort of nonsense I am talking about that adds nothing to a roleplay. Fluff that in no way gives your partners anything to work off of, does not contribute to the development of the story or your character or really has any importance at all to anything going on. It is just filler for the sake of length that quite honestly is something that I feel is something to be frowned upon.