Of Monsters and Men

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt had to laugh. "Yeah watch out for those pregnant ladies. They can be scary. The hormones and shit. Stuff. I meant stuff. Ah. Whatever. I don't care if you swear around me. That's probably not even a swear word here. I'm bollocks at this time era, sorry. Never paid attention in history class." Matt followed behind Duncan anyway. "They might think I'm an alien. Cos I talk weird and dress funny. And all the guys have a lot longer hair than I do..." Matt peered up at his hair that was now getting quite long for him and hanging in his face. He found it irritating. The red was fading, but still present at the tips of his hair. "I need a hair cut," he mumbled.

He glanced back toward the cave and wondered if it would be okay to leave Arianna for a long period of time. It wasn't that he was worried that she couldn't take care of herself, because he was sure that she could. He just didn't want her to feel like he'd abandoned her.

"Wait just a moment, okay?" he said, running back up to the cave as fast as his short legs could take him. He dug into the pouch on his hip, wishing for popcorn, which appeared as soon as he wished for it. He laid the popcorn out, along with a few apples next to the bed that Arianna's human form still slept on. He doubted she had any ability to read, so he quickly doodled a picture of himself and Duncan walking to the village with smiles on their faces. They were only messy stick figures, but he hoped she would get the idea.

With that, he left with a trot in his step and rejoined Duncan, munching on one of the apples he'd pulled out of the pouch. "You know, I don't normally like apples all that much, but the apples here are so much better than they are where I'm from. Probably cos they're all organic and shit and not all genetically modified. If I ever go back home, I'm gonna take some seeds with me and plant them."

Duncan was so happy that he could show Matt where he lived. He ran ahead and tried hard to slow down. Worry over came him as they got closer to his home. It was a small simple cottage. A small farm with a fence that went around to the front gate it was humble but it was also very welcoming. Smoke rose from the chimney and Duncan ran ahead of Matt.

"Come on inside. I'm sure my mother is waiting." He laughed and almost tripped over a chicken." It squawked and flapped trying to get out of the way.

The wooden door opened and like a heavenly vision Orei stepped out. The warm glow from within wrapped around her body. The smell of fresh baked bread called to them as she giggled to Duncan nearly crushing a chicken.

"Careful darling." He told him softly. "Mother you're up?" he went to her and hugged her softly. Duncan checked her and stood back. "You can't go outside you know this but look Matt has come to see…" He stepped to the side to let Matt enter.

Blushing Orei looked towards Matt. She was so shy and humble now in her state. Clearly she was the woman from before but now she was earth bound in a very real sense. Her cheeks were glowing just like the rest of her. Motherhood suited her well. Duncan was ecstatic that she was ok and that they were together.

"I hope dragon is ok. I mean Arianna. I'm sure she is. She is tough right mother." She nodded to him as he went in and went right to the table to get some fresh bread and jam.

Matt smiled shyly at Orei as he approached the house. The place reminded him a bit of his grandmother's home, but that it was less modern. He did not invite himself in but stood just within the gate, observing. He tugged at the sleeves of his shirt that was beginning to get tattered from wear, shyness overcoming him. He tried to break the silence. "He wanders from home a lot, doesn't he?" Matt asked Orei and shrugged. "I was like that too." Matt pinched at his nose multiple times, a nervous habit that he'd never been able to break.

"We've got chickens," he uttered lamely. "I mean. My gran had chickens. I can catch one and break it's neck," he added, proud of knowing how to do something that was useful. "Can I help with something? I-er- should you be laying down?" he babbled nervously, noticing her pregnant state. As he approached her, he tripped on a cobble in the walkway, finding himself sprawled on the ground faster than he could realize what was happening. Matt groaned and mentally berated himself. Smooth, Matthew, very smooth.

Scrambling to his feet, he offered Orei a sheepish smile.

Orei giggled and smiled softly at him. A soft breeze tickled his ear and collar as it went by ever so softly. It was as if she caressed his face trying to help calm him even if she couldn't touch him. "Come inside and have something to eat. I'm fine and please rest. There isn't much to do today. My husband took care of most of it. He went into the village to get more mead or something I'm not sure. I don't question him."

Stepping inside her home Orei moved to an oversize chair near the fire. It was huge actually. Two adults could sit side by side just fine and even a third if they wanted a tight fit. It was high up as well. Her toes just brushed the ground. Duncan ran over to her with a blanket. Blushing she took it and settled in with a bit of effort.

"Mother you shouldn't have moved. You know how he worries about you. Will he be mad at me again? I don't want to see you cry." Shaking her head to his concern she comforted him and he was content. He ran back to eating his stew at the table.

"Matt have some, I served you a bowl." Duncan pointed to a bowl that waited for him. "Yes please eat. I'm sure that bag provides many things but my cooking isn't one of them. Orei teased him.

"Tell me has Arianna learned to fly Matt? You've come so far and overcome so much I believe she would have done the same in such a short amount of time."

Matt eyed the stew hungrily and sat to eat without making any polite attempts to refuse. Through mouthfuls he answered, "Yesh, she's learning-" he threw a hand over his mouth as some of his stew spat out. He swallowed and continued. "She has a human form? I think." He took another bite. "When she'sh tired I think she turns to I lil girl." He grinned and swallowed his food. "She's cute."

As he finished his meal, he realized that the food and the warmth from the fire made him feel sleepy, though he knew he had no reason to feel tired. "'ve really not overcome a whole lot of anything, really, trust me," he insisted with a yawn. He rubbed at his eyes and stood up. "I should go for a walk. Otherwise I'll fall asleep."

Duncan looked up and looked out the window. "Oh no." he tried to get up but fell backwards. "She… oh no." Scrambling to his feet he got to the door and yanked it out.

"Matt!" He cried. "Come see" Duncan stood in the garden pointing over the fence towards the forest. There just beyond it was Arianna. With her head low she watched them and waited. A little smile seemed to press across her lips. In her dragon form she was small and well hidden with the thicket of trees hugging her. How she got there was a total mystery.

"I felt like I was being watched and there she is look." He kept pointing and laughed. Orei didn't move she was starting to doze off.

"Matt?" Arianna called to him. "Matt? Are you inside the two legs cave?"

A surprised sound escaped Matt's lips. "Arianna!" he cried, going to the window to stand beside Duncan. "Is it okay for you to be here? Is it safe? She shouldn't be so close to the village- she could get hurt-" He ran outside, trying to usher her back, remembering what had happened the last time she had been near to the village. "You need to go home-" he said anxiously. "If you get seen someone could try to hurt you like last time-"

He paused. "Did you sleep okay? Do you feel better? You were really tired, I think."

In fact, the tiredness that Matt had felt before had now completely washed away, replaced by concern for Arianna.

She looked at him and whimpered. "But you left me. I got up and found a map. A this." She showed him the paper. She had it stuck under her tummy. It was held on by some sap. "Matt why can't I go inside?" She looked past him towards the small house.

"Matt she is welcome. Transform her." Orei told him as a breeze rushed past him caressing his cheek softly. Duncan ran over and smiled.

"Hi Dragon. My your big. You're pretty too. Can I pet you?" He reached up to pet her snout and she snorted in fear.

"I won't hurt you see." He held out some bread in his other hand as a bribe. "Please…" Sniffing it she looked it over then licked it off his hand and it was gone. Lowering her head she let him pet her and he was happy as could be.

"Wow she is a beautiful. Sorry I said you could never fly. I was wrong." He pet her softly as her wings flexed. They were tucked perfectly at her back.

Matt laughed at his crude drawing stuck to her belly. He hadn't intended for her to come searching for them, but that must have been how she'd interpreted the drawing. "Ah. Ooright. Ah-" He held up his hands. "You're kinda- big?? I don't know if you'll fit inside...?" He glanced back into the house.

How am I supposed to transform her... I don't have that kind of power. I'm not a wizard...

"Uhm can you transform? If you transform, you could come inside. And then you can play with Duncan? There's also some really good stew inside..." He pressed a hand against her forehead and pushed, as if trying to physically push her down into her smaller human form.

Arianna giggled at his pressing on her head and licked his hands. "You're funny." Lowering her head she nudged him playfully. "Let's go fly ok." She went to flex her wings but hit a tree and they got a shower of leaves and twigs.

"Oh…." Closing her eyes as the leaves fell all over them she dared to open one eye. "I'm sorry." She backed away from him and then took off running. Her long tail dragging behind her started to make a clear line as to where she went. A whomp sound filled the forest as birds fluttered away from the nearest trees.

It was an odd sound that soon stopped and a silence washed over the area. It was totally calm. Arianna hadn't gone back to the cave her whomping away would have still been heard. No she had stopped running. Something else had happened. Just a few yards away a small child was hiding behind a large tree trunk. Sniffling and holding the hem of her dress she stood there unsure of what to do next.

Fascinated, Matt approached the child form of Arianna cautiously. She seemed much more timid in this form, uncomfortable in the more fragile human skin. But this was a safer form for her, if she was to visit the village. Matt suddenly felt a pang of jealousy that she had such a flexible ability to physically shift and adjust to her surroundings. For a moment he wished he could leave the fragile body he was in and be something frightening and powerful. Maybe then he could have fought off the emotional demons that plagued him in what he now continuously referred to as his "past life."

He doubted a stronger and scarier physical form could have really solved his problems though. After all, his future self seemed to know how to handle problems and beat them into the ground. He had a presence that frightened while still holding the same physical shape that Matt held now. Matt only seemed to know how to shrink away from problems at the time. Losing everything he'd loved not once but twice had been as much his own fault as it had been anyone else's. Maybe if he'd been more admirable, more loveable, more determined, and less scared he could have salvaged the pieces. But what was done was done. No matter. He would protect Arianna from shit people if it was the last thing he could do. No one did it for me, but I will do it for you. He frowned, then knelt in front of Arianna. "Hey, kid, lets go to the house, yeah? You'll like it there and I promise it's safe. There's good food there. And Duncan wants to be your friend."

If there was anything he could be proud of, it was his ability to keep promises. He took her hand and gently lead her back toward the house. "I promise it's safe."

She took his hand and held the hem of her dress with the other. Arianna was still scared but went with him. Matt was her rock and she trusted him and no one else. If he said it was safe then it was. It was his will that helped her change. That was scary too. It was in her to do. She knew that all along but it was hard to explain it. Hard to do and she never wanted anyone to know. Now he knew and soon others would too. Looking up at him she was no more than a simple child. She could pass for a little girl about 3 or 4 years old. Maybe 5 it was hard to tell. Age was a hard thing to track with dragons.

As they got closer to the cottage Arianna heard something and clung to his hand with both of hers. "What's that?" She asked him.

As they went along the lane a woman came towards them. She was from the village and smiled. She pulled a small wagon and inside it were sacks of flour and beans.

"Oh isn't she darling. Good evening Sir. Your daughter is beautiful. You are very lucky." She waved at Arianna who was scared and clinging to Matt as the woman passed them.

Duncan came out and waved to the woman as she left. "Hello Mrs. Wellington." She waved and was gone.

My daughter?? Matt glanced down at the young girl holding his hand with both of hers. The expression on his face reflected surprise, but was quickly replaced with beaming pride. He looked back up at the woman who was Mrs. Wellington and gave her one of the widest grins he'd ever grinned. "Thanks!!" he said, his step taking on a slight bounce. He ruffled Arianna's hair, then giggled giddily.

"She thinks you're my daughter!" He whispered to her excitedly. That means she thinks I'm a dad! "That means if you pass for my daughter, it will be easier to travel to Teignmouth! People won't be afraid of you and you'll be safe!" He lifted her up on to his shoulders. Though his frame was small, she was light for him. And he felt an energy and a glowing warmth from being mistaken as a father. It was an emotion he in no way had ever expected. But in that moment, he knew that he definitely wanted to be a parent. Someday. Maybe.

He blinked. The sad realization of where he was and who he was and who he had left behind washing over him. He tried not to let it bother him though and focus on what had sent a surge of happiness through him earlier instead. Am I a good dad then?

Arianna held onto his head and giggled blushing from what he said. He made her feel safe and she didn't have to say another word. "You do look like her father you know." Duncan called. "Come on inside before night fall. You may stay the night if you wish. It's getting cold after all."

A breeze rustled the leaves around their feet as they went towards the door. Duncan held it open for them and tried to keep the rest of the leaves from following them. "Mother look who came inside? She can change her form just like you said. The legends were right." Duncan was very excited and went over to check on his mother.

Orei sat up and looked over at Matt and Arianna. She smiled. "My she has talent Matt. I told you she did. Just look at the detail. Has she spoken verbally yet?" Orei inquired.

Matt gave pause as he stepped through the door. He'd never thought about if she'd spoken verbally, or if she was speaking to his mind like usual. He'd assumed she'd spoken verbally, but now he wasn't sure. "I think so..." he answered hesitantly as he lifted Arianna off his shoulders and set her down gently on the ground. He looked more closely at Arianna. She did kind of look like him. Maybe a little. Her hair was the same (natural) color. And she had intense eyes.

He moved over to the table clumsily and scooped her a bowl of the still warm stew. "This will be the best thing you ever tasted," he said to Arianna. He watched her quietly while she ate. Almost instantly, the sleepiness he'd felt earlier returned and he blinked heavily. Soon enough he had fallen asleep right there at the table.

Arianna looked into the bowl of stew and took up the spoon. Holding the spoon with one hand and the bowl with the other she tried to copy Duncan who was now on his thirds. She was doing alright but now able to get very much on her spoon. Dribbling twice onto the table she whimpered and looked up to find Duncan watching her. He chuckled and got up to help her.

"It's hot so don't worry about it. Here let me help you. You're new to this huh." Duncan took the spoon from her hand and then the bowl.

"Ok turn to face me." She did as he said and watched him. With the bowl balanced in his hand he smiled.

"Say Ah…" He told her and she did. In the process Duncan started to feed her. He gave her small bits of meat and potatoes.

"You like it?" she nodded with a mouthful. Her feet dangled off the edge of the chair and she looked around the room.

"It's small but its home. Mother makes sure we have what we need. Oh look Matt fell asleep." Duncan nodded over with his head and Arianna giggled.

"He takes great care of you, you know." He gave her a few more bites of stew and then it was gone. Duncan gave her a cloth to clean her mouth but she held it and sniffed it.

"No, no you clean your mouth with it. Like this." He took it from her and cleaned her mouth. "There see now your all clean." He couldn't help but feel close to her.

"Was that good?" He waited for her to reply but she only nodded yes.

"Arianna you can speak right?" He asked her. She looked at him and gave him a head tilt. Closing her eyes she answered in him but in his mind.

"Yes…" She giggled and opened her eyes. Arianna sat on the chair and played with the hem of her dress.

"Yes yes that's great and thank you I was worried I couldn't hear you anymore but what about out loud?" Stepping closer to her he looked worried.

"Ari say something out loud." He asked of her. Duncan waited but she just looked at him. Arianna didn't even reply in his mind.

"You know, talk." He tried to get her speak.

Once more she just looked at him. "Talk!" He shouted at her. Arianna covered her face and started to cry.

"Duncan! How dare you. She is just a child." Orei was standing behind him now. "You can't yell at her like that."

"She answered me a moment ago but it was in my mind she can speak mother she can she just can't do it or won't do it out loud." Duncan was getting frustrated.

"You can talk." He snapped at her.

Arianna's tail started suddenly dangled off the back of the chair.

"Duncan you better stop it. You're going to make her change and she will destroy this house." Sniffling Arianna sat in the chair her tail growing longer.

Releasing a heavy sigh Duncan walked over to her. "I'm sorry Ari please don't cry. Please." He touched her head and pet her.

That calmed her and her tail stopped growing. She wasn't going to change. "You can't can you?" Sniffling she didn't really answer him she just wriggled down from the chair. She nearly fell when her feet hit the floor. In a little run she made for Matt. Once at his side she clung to him. Her little dragon tail sticking out from under her dress hiding her face she clung to him.

Duncan sighed and just watched. "Opps…"

Perhaps it was the events of the day or the warm comfort of a human home, but Matt had been quelled into a sleep deep enough that even the commotion around him did not wake him from it. His dreams were scattered but complete, as strange dream worlds can be in short periods of time. Faces floated in and out of his sleeping vision. Dom's and Graham's. And older version of his own face. An older version of Dom's. While he wasn't aware of Arianna pressing up against him, the feeling put two names, Dom and Graham, on his lips and he whispered them out loud even in his sleep.

Suddenly, in his dream a knife slashed through those two faces, bloody and violent and a laugh all too familiar to him- that of his alien- filled his head. He immediately woke with a gasp and sat so straight up that his chair toppled over backwards, taking him, and Arianna who clung to him, down with it. Shocked, he could only lay and stare at the ceiling, breathing hard.

Finally, noticing Arianna's ever pressing presence; he wrapped his arms around her protectively and drew her closer to him. He kissed the top of her head. It had all been just a dream and he sighed in relief.

"Oh you think that was a dream? That's cute!" the alien's voice flooded his head. Immediately, Matt shot to his feet, pulling Arianna up with him. Instinctively he moved across the small room in such a way that protectively put Arianna, Duncan and Orei at his back.

What do you want, now? he thought.

Arianna clung to Matt and hid her face as Matt held her. She was confused and getting sleepy. Something was going on and she wasn't sure what. "I want to go to bed now." She told Matt with a yawn. Nuzzling into him she started to doze. Duncan could see that Arianna was falling asleep but was also worried about Matt. He was acting strange.

"What's wrong?" He asked. Orei could see Arianna nod off and went to take her from Matt. "Let me take her Matt it looks like you had a bad dream." Orei reached for Arianna and in a sleepy daze Arianna reached out to her. Orei took her in her arms and held her close. It was a bit of a lift but she was alright.

"Mother no. I can carry her." Duncan was shocked that his mother was lifting the child. He followed her closely as she moved away from Matt with Arianna safe in her arms.

"I can hold her I can. Let me please you shouldn't." Duncan was trying in vain to get Arianna but his mother wasn't having it. "No darling you go help Matt. I believe his bad dream lingers and Arianna is too weak to help him right now." Orei kissed Duncan on the forehead and smiled. Nodding to his mother Duncan ran back to Matt.

"What's wrong? I can help I know I can. "Duncan looked over at his mother. She was watching over Arianna with a protective grace he had never seen before. A soft light filled the room. An unknown energy surrounded them. They were in fact. Orei's powers made sure of it.

"I'm just visiting. Like I like to do," The alien said with a giggle. "And I saw you were sleeping so I thought I'd play around with your dreams a bit. That's always fun!"

Ngh. That was really unpleasant... Why do you do that?

"Because I don't like them."

Of course.

She seemed to be in a relatively harmless mood today, and Matt started to relax. It was hard to really predict her moods. As far as he was concerned she had the hormones of a pregnant teenager on her period, which he knew wasn't possible, but was an accurate description nonetheless. Matt put a hand on Duncan's head and ruffled his hair. "It's alright, kid, thanks though."

Just a pesky alien.

"Oh come on, now, I'm not pesky! I want to visit you!"

Matt pinched the bridge of his nose and glanced around the room.

I'm not comfortable with that. You'll scare them and the lady's pregnant, she doesn't need that.

"Tell your lady friend that her protective aura thing isn't doing much, as pretty as it is."

He rolled his eyes.

"Can I shoot the kid? I haven't shot anything in some time. I rather miss it, you know. My laser is getting dusty."

No.

"Kids are my favorite though!"

Matt grunted, then turned to face the room. "I'm gonna go outside. I'll be back in a bit."

Because it feels weird talking to you with others in the room. I can't focus on everything at once when you're talking to me.

The alien giggled.

Matt stepped out into what was now becoming the cool night. A fine mist had begun to fall, which felt nice on his face. He hoped that Duncan wouldn't follow him, though he knew the kid would do as he wished. Because he's like me.

"Can I visit you now?"

No.

"I saw that thing with your dragon. Her turning into that little girl. Are you her daddy now, Matty?"

I'm not her dad, no,
he thought, though he smiled fondly anyway.

"I think you'd be a good dad."

Matt laughed out loud at this. Was that a genuine compliment you just gave me, Zeta? You're getting soft.

"No. You're still a stupid human with stupid hair and you're fat and nobody likes you, they all wish you were dead,"
she replied with indigence.

Except you, right?

"Except me."

Matt paced the yard a bit, but found he wished to go for a walk. Usually he hated the rain. But the mist was cool on a day that had been unusually warm and he was enjoying it. And even he had to admit that he was finding the zeta's company pleasant. Even if only for the fact that she was an abstract connection to home. She was something familiar in a place where everything was unfamiliar. The mist dampened his skin and formed droplets in his hair, turning it from fluffy to spiky as he ran his fingers through it. His hair was starting to get long now, though, and strands flopped down into his eyes.

"Where are you going, Matty?"

Nowhere. Just walking.

"You should come visit me."

She was lonely, wasn't she?

Uhm... I've got business to take care of here though...

"Come visit me, or I'll make you!"
she demanded.

Whoa, whoa, calm down.

"You care more about them than you care about me! You care more about walking in the stupid rain than talking to me!"

I am talking to you, though!

"You didn't want me to visit!"

Are you seriously throwing a tantrum right now?

"I'm not throwing a tantrum! Come visit me! You missed my birthday!"

I- ah- sorry?

Matt turned and headed back for the house. She was getting unstable again, which meant unpredictable. He wanted to at least be near Arianna and Duncan and Orei, to make sure they were okay.

"Now where are you going??"

"Back to the house," he replied outloud, walking faster.

"No! You're coming with me! Come with me or I'll kill your dragon!"

Matt felt his heart stop. Don't you dare hurt her.

"Then come visit me!"

Matt fidgeted nervously. He'd learned long ago that appeasing her generally yielded better results than trying to fight her. "Can't I at least just tell them I'll be back...?"

"No!"

"You are throwing a tantrum."

"I hate you, you're stupid!"

I... fine. I'm stupid.

She didn't answer him, instead, a circle of light expanded around his feet and the next instant he knew he was being lifted through the air. It never failed to catch him off guard. Probably because she gave little warning most of the time. He flailed, feeling a need to catch his balance but it was useless. He was on her ship in a matter of moments.

"Hello Matty~"

He could only stare at her. She was wearing some bizarre geometrical garment faceted with mirrors. "What the fuck are you wearing?"

"Do you like it?" she asked, spinning so he could see the strange outfit completely. "It's just for you. I know you like weird fashion things. You wear weird things."

Matt looked down at his own outfit, the material stiff from being washed in the river, tattered from being the only thing he'd really worn for the last... month? He was unsure how long he'd been here now. His trousers had developed holes in the knees where his bony knee caps jutted out. He'd lost weight too, so everything hung more limply on him than usual. On the contrary however, he'd gained some muscle from the hunting and hiking around. It was nothing to brag about, but his arms were more toned than they'd ever been, just from yielding the bow and his legs felt strong, which made him want to jump around on a stage.

The alien clapped and squealed, drawing him out of his reverie. "I'm so glad you're here! I must show you my new plant! But first-" she ran at him, hugging him tightly. He felt the familiar electrical tingling of her skin touching his. It felt good and his skin flushed from the arousal of it.

"Ah no-" he whimpered, feeling his knees going weak. Nothing could render him more helpless than this and he hated it and she knew it. She giggled at his reaction before releasing him and leaving him to his own devices to recover. He sank slowly into one of the chairs in front of the control panel of the circular main room in the ship. "ah fuck you," he said weakly, "why do you have to do that?"

"It makes you feel good and you know it. Why do you deny it? You should thank me. No one can make you feel the way I can make you feel..."

Matt only pinched the bridge of his nose and squeezed his eyes shut, ignoring her.

I'm so sorry Arianna. Please don't think I abandoned you. I'll be back. I'm not leaving you I'm not leaving you I'm not leaving you...

The sound of a horse and cart approaching drew Duncan from the warmth of the small home. Upon opening the door his eyes found the form of his step-father. A massive man if there ever was one. His fists were the size of cannon balls and his head the size of a small tree stump. He was built as solid as a rock but with the kindest eyes and softest hands known to anyone that dared to love him.

He was tender and gentle. Behind his thick beard was a gentle giant if there ever was one. It was a wonder that he fit inside the small house. Duncan ran out to meet the man he was very proud to call his father.

"Hello father." He was panting by the time his hands reached the gate. Yanking it opened he stepped back to let his new father pass through.

"Good eve Duncan. How is your mother? I pray she is well. I came back as soon as I could. Getting a fair trade for my goods was hard work this time. No one wants to pay what things are worth. What's that in the air?" He asked as Duncan closed the gate behind him.

As they went towards the house the man removed the harness about the horses head and withdrew the bit that kept it captive to its duty. After patting it farewell he they parted ways.

"Make sure he gets fed proper Duncan, water him too. Ill going and check on your mother." The man watched as young Duncan ran after the horse and lead him to the barn. Looking up toward where his father was going he called out.

"We have guest father but he left. Only one remains." Waving acknowledgement of this the man went inside.

Looking up from the bed Orei turned to see her husband and she beamed anew. "My love..." Reaching for him she waited for his embrace.

Rushing towards her his stride was powerful and full of purpose. "My Orei, how are you? How are you both? Anytime now am I right? Oh? What's this or rather who?" His arms remained about his dear wife.

"This is Arianna. She is very special. Her fathe.r...r… the one… well it's hard to explain." Orei was about to say more but a kick within her tummy made her stop.

"Oh!" Holding herself she gasped and closed her eyes. "Eric, I…"

He studied her and nodded. Slowly and with great care he scooped her up. "Rest now love. I came back just in time." He carried her to the bed." She was in pain and it was time for the baby to come. Eric ran to the door. His massive fist took hold of the small knob and he nearly ripped the door from its frame. Once it was open his voice boomed across the yard.

"DUNCAN!!! Its time! Run to the village fetch us some help." Duncan dropped the feed bucket and took off towards the village. Arianna sat up in her bed. Looking up at the massive man she didn't know what to think. Where was Matt? Where was Duncan? She didn't really know Orei and now this huge man was there. He was really huge. Fear washed over her.

Panic started to set in and she jumped down from the bed. Eric saw her and spun around. "Oh no you don't. You're not marching out into the night there young miss. You get back right back in that bed." He told her. Looking up at him she was terrified.

"Now." He didn't take no for an answer. Arianna's legs started shaking and she felt her bladder start to fail. Then she started to cry. Suddenly she was wet and sobbing. The man sighed hard and went towards her. Arianna screamed bloody murder just as Duncan rushed back in panting hard.

"Here we… are..." He noticed Arianna and her crying. "What?" Eric looked at him and shook his head.

"She wet herself. Clean up the child we have another one on the way. Nurse maid help me. This way." He led the way to the backroom and closed the door. Arianna stood near the corner crying. Duncan walked towards her. "Come on… come on you can ware some of my old things until we wash your clothes ok. Besides you don't need to hear my mum screaming." He pulled her close into a light hug as to not get wet himself. Sniffling she went with him. Utterly confused and scared. Where was Matt? She said nothing to Duncan nor asked him nothing.

"It's alright ok. Matt will be back I'm sure. He didn't leave for good. I don't think. I'm pretty sure." Duncan made an unsure face but smiled down at her and turned away before she could see anything different. Duncan however had trust issues and already knew something was up. Matt wasn't in the village and no one had seen him. He vanished and it did seem that he left the human Arianna with a human family to care for her. How covenant. Rolling his eyes Duncan got to the task of taking care of Arianna.

Status
Not open for further replies.