Of Monsters and Men

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I can. You'll see." She flexed her wings and they were much large than before. Beating them softly she stood with pride and looked back at him.

"Ohhh that feels nice. I will come right back." Looking over at him she giggled.

"I will I promise" With that Arianna dove off the cliff face and into the low clouds that hugged the bottom of the mountain.

Elder had been listening and he sat up. "She left? Just like that? I'll look after her, you stay here." At a full run he took off after her and he too dove off the cliff and went into the cloud bank. Now both were out of sight.

They were gone a long time and Elder was the first to return. He panted and landed with a heavy thud. He trotted past Matt.

"She is better, sloppy but better. Do not tell her I was watching." he ducked into the cave and acted like he had been there all along.

Arianna came a few moments later panting and nearly hit Matt when she landed. She dropped a rabbit at his feet. She had one in each foot and one in her mouth.

"Look, look I got them I did, I did!" She giggled and ran around him. "Look, look two brown and one white." She giggled and laughed.

Matt reached a hand out toward Arianna as she dove off the cliff edge, a small cry trapped in his throat. "I said in here first..." his voice trailed off, unsure. She didn't fall though. And as Elder left the cave to watch her, he found himself sitting back on the edge of the cliff, trying to peer through the clouds to see the dragons, or the ground, or anything.

He was starting to wonder if part of what was getting to him was the feeling of being trapped. Arianna and Elder could leave the cave, while he could not. He was a prisoner of the height of the place, and no amount of getting himself lost in the back part of the cave could change that.

He smiled as Arianna returned though, and picked up the rabbit she'd dropped at his feet. "Good girl," he exclaimed while rubbing a hand on her forehead. He carried the rabbits to the fire and with the one that she had given him, he quietly worked at skinning it, and stoked the fire.

"What's the weather like down there?" Matt asked casually.

Panting and now restless Arianna watched him and blinked. "Can, can I eat it now?"

Elder watched them and chuckled. He had shifted into his human form and walked over to join Matt. He played with the fire and added to it. "Arianna it's best to let humans have their meals cooked dear."

He then looked at Matt and waited to see what he might say. It might be a small meal but it was theirs after all. Elder could fend for himself.

"The weather is fair. I will show you a way down from here after you eat. I'd like to take you but she will have to say here. It is far to dangerous for her to follow."

Matt looked briefly at the other rabbits Arianna had brought home. "You are free to eat yours," he said. "I will cook this one." He had little appetite, but he knew he had to eat anyway.

The prospect of being able to finally leave the cave encouraged him to finish his meal faster though and when he was finished he looked toward Elder expectantly.

He hoped Arianna wouldn't follow. She had the tendency to do so if she was bored or he worried about her getting lost in the back of the cave. He wasn't sure if he should voice such worries though. Elder seemed to know those risks were there regardless. Still, Matt found Arianna to be very unpredictable and so he worried.

"Maybe I shouldn't go out..." He suggested.

Arianna started to eat here meal and the sound louder than normal. Elder looked over to her. "Mind your manors young one and close your snout when you chew. Snapping so loudly is not required."

She looked at him and blinked. Lowering her head she curled up and eat more slowly and carefully.

"That's better." Elder then turned and looked at Matt.

He spoke only to him and his eyes gave a knowing stare. "She will fall asleep soon enough. Our exit will not be known and your absence will not be remembered if you come back in a timely fashion. However, if you wish to take your time about such an outing that is your right. I will not stop you, only she may question you. What you offer for an answer is up to you. For only you have to answer to her, you are her flyer. Not I."

Elder played with the fire and hummed softly. Arianna was soon done eating and sure enough she was yawning. All her efforts into getting her meal had taken it's toll. "Papa...." She yawned and rubbed her eyes. "I'm napping." She curled up and closed her eyes right where she sat.

Matt was unsure what he hoped to gain from going outside. He was beginning to feel more and more lost with himself and he worried deeply that his restlessness was harming Arianna, who was the most important. He had a responsibility for her and for being back on time for her. He knew too well the consequences.

He nodded and moved to stand at the edge of the cave, ready when Elder was to get out.

"Alright follow me Matt. It wont take us long to get down. Its rather slick around the waterfall so do mind your step."

Elder lead Matt around the edge of the lip and the sleep slope gave no warning. It dropped right off. The ledge was very thin and allowed for no mistakes. "Once around the bend it will get wider. Keep up." He called back.

As they came around the bend Elder chuckled. "Damn weeds, they grow everywhere." he sneezed and yanked then out then threw them down and away. "Bloody nasty things." He coughed and spit. "I hate them." As they went the trail got wider and wider until finally Elder came to a spot where they could stand side by side and he stopped.

"Alright. I'll leave the rest to you. On that way around the white rock is the village. If you go that way you'll come to the river after a ways. It runs fast and its very cold. I wouldn't go in it if I were you. I'll keep an eye on the small one. If she gets to restless I'll try this play thing she likes so much. Have fun, perhaps find a human female? They can be fun for a few hours. Noisy, but fun." he chuckled and started back to the cave. "Oh, make sure your alone before you come back never lead anyone this way... I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that one though." He chuckled and headed back humming.

Status
Not open for further replies.