Not Another Cinderella Story (lxngdon & MaryGold)

M A S O N
Mason stiffened at the insult so easily thrown at Lainey by his girlfriend. How could Karoline say something unnecessarily spitefully to another and not feel the least bit apologetic or regretful about it? He would never know and frankly he would prefer it to stay shrouded in mystery.

Though he was also just as clueless about her dislike toward their housekeeper. She had been doing an excellent job, didn't bother communicating with them often and not one item went missing. Honestly, Kari was hard to understand no matter how many times he tried to sympathize with her.

And he was prepared to hear any callous words in exchange from her boyfriend. It only made sense in his eyes. Whether it was your boss or her boss that insultef the person you love didn't. The natural response would be to defend them.

But when Harrison chuckled softly and instead replied, rather pleasantly too, as if someone else was seeing it for the first time too,"Thank you."

Mason decided then and there he did not like Harrison.

"What are you talking about, Kari? Lainey is plenty pretty, and I'm sure her lover knows as well."
He smiled, though it was more forced than he would have liked.

Harrison only proceeded to openly glare at Mason and tightened his arm around Lainey. "Sure. At least you really seem to think so."

l a i n e y
Lainey felt sick. It was one thing to feel ugly beside Karoline -- she guessed everyone did. But it was a complete other thing to have her physical appearance demeaned by her own boyfriend, in front of a supermodel and her celebrity boyfriend.

At Harrison's last words, Lainey's bottom lip trembled and she felt like she was going to cry. "I'm going to go get milk," she murmured, slipping out from under Harrison's arm and hugging herself tightly as she limped over to the dairy section, which, unfortunately, wasn't too far from the meats.

Karoline watched her go with a slightly amused expression on her angelic face. She licked her lips and smirked at Harrison. "What, you could easily be a supermodel and you've settled for someone who's a five and a cripple?"

Lainey heard this and she flinched again, keeping her sparkling brown eyes fixed on the choices of milk so she didn't have to go back over to Harrison until Mason and Karoline had left.

M A S O N
Harrison didn't bother to acknowledge Lainey's departure from the group and went on to converse with the supermodel, obviously enjoying her company as much as her comments. How could he not? He opened up his mouth to reply, but Mason had beat him to it. And he was not very pleased at all.

"Oh my god, Karoline. Can you just shut the fuck up?"
He groaned, rolling his eyes at the ceiling, tired and exasperated with her despicable treatment toward Lainey.

This was not her first time talking to others and treating them like shit. On more occasions than one she made him feel like shit too. He never said anything about it though and never for someone else.

So, it surprised even himself a little when he spoke his thoughts a loud. But in no way was he sorry or apologetic. And he was sure he would never get away with it, so he continued with the flow, letting go of the trolley ad he did so."Sometimes I wonder if you even cringe at the shit that comes out of your mouth. Also, maybe you should try not flirting with some other guy in front of your boyfriend."

He frowned and walked away from the two, because he looking at them any longer only angered him. Yet, when he came to join Lainey, his face softened and he began to whisper. "I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is going to rip me to shreds and I don't really feel like dealing with that right now, of ever. And your boyfriend is a dick. So, will you escape with me, we can get ice cream." Because who didn't love ice cream?

l a i n e y
Lainey watched as Mason unexpectedly defended her and walked over to where she stood. Karoline glowered at him so intensely, Lainey half-expected him to shrivel up into ashes where he stood.

But, no. He was very much alive, and asking her to get some ice cream with him.

Lainey was about to say yes, when she saw Harrison out of the corner of her eye. He would be pissed if she left him in the supermarket for some other guy and he'd probably take it out on her physically later. And, Karoline looked like she was out for blood, and Lainey didn't want to lose her job.

Even if Mason had asked her, the others would find a way to make it Lainey's fault.

"Sorry, I can't. Maybe some other time." Lainey picked up a random bottle of milk and shuffled back to Harrison, putting the carton in their trolley and pointedly not looking at Karoline.

M A S O N
Mason sighed lightly, rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet. He refused to turn around, despite Lainey rejoining the other two. He wasn't planning on joining them again any time soon, he could hardly stand to look at them.

And because he didn't want to be demolished by Karoline, he could feel her eyes burning holes in his back. But he wasn't going to take back what he said. He never took back anything he meant and was right about. Mason was very right on this subject and he knew it.

"I'm going to get a carton of ice cream."
He said to Karoline and sped down to the frozen foods aisle, which was coincidentally nearby.

Harrison glared at Lainey, though he just as quickly found himself glaring in the direction Mason had left. "What the hell was his problem?" He snorted, leaning against the handlebar of the trolley.

"He looks kind of familiar, though."
The dark haired male mumbled, clearly pondering on why.

l a i n e y
Karoline looked absolutely livid as she scowled at Mason's retreating figure. She turned around to look at Harrison and Lainey with contempt in her beautiful eyes, like she thought they were below her. Less than her.

"He's the lead singer of Turbulence. They won a Grammy last week." Karoline grabbed her trolley and strode off after Mason. Lainey could vaguely hear her yelling at him.

Lainey blinked. She hadn't recognised Mason's face, but now that she knew, she could hear his speaking voice in the songs she listened to so frequently. She loved Turbulence music. Her favourite song was Oh, Ms. Believer.

And she had been working for him for a week.

"Why don't you ever stick up for me?" Lainey whispered to Harrison, her eyes fixed on the ground, her small arms hugging herself tightly.

M A S O N
Mason groaned internally, and kept going at a slow pace, allowing Karoline to catch up in spite of not wanting to look at her. Nor did he want to hear her yelling in his ear, he would probably go deaf. And he needed his ability to hear for his profession.

"You don't have to yell. I'm not deaf."
Yet. And she didn't have to yell in the store either. She could always tear into him at home.

At the very least, he no longer had to listen to anything Harrison said too. He could only deal with so much in one day. So, he wasn't there to hear what the man had to say in response to his girlfriend.

"Half the time, the things they say are not untrue. You don't expect me to lie for you, do you? " Harrison frowned deeply, almost glaring at her in suspicion with his next words. "Or do you want me to be like Mason?" He spat.

l a i n e y
Lainey's bottom lip quivered and she looked up at Harrison with hurt in her eyes. What was she doing? Why was she with him? He clearly didn't love her. He clearly didn't think she deserved him.

"I don't want you to lie, or to be like Mason," she whispered. "I want to know what you're doing with me if you don't think I'm good enough for you. Because you clearly don't."

Tristan, Harrison's dead brother, had loved her and he had made sure that she knew that every single day. But Tristan had died in the same car accident in which Lainey had broken her leg. She missed him. She missed him so much.
k a r o l i n e
"What the fuck was that?" Karoline hissed. She fell into place beside Mason and looked up at him angrily, as if he had just punched her cat in the face.

"I was only pointing out the obvious. It's not my fault if she can't handle it." Kari tossed her thick hair over her shoulder and scowled ahead.

"What? You think she's pretty enough for him? Because that's bullshit and we both know it. And he knows it, too. I mean, look at him. I should set him up with Kendall Jenner, or literally anyone else actually in his league."

Last edited by a moderator:
H A R R I S O N
"Maybe I'm doing it to take care of your ass because no one else will." Harrison furrowed his eyebrows, looking down at Lainey with crossed arms. He sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of his. He was finding this whole situation tiring. He was finding Lainey tired.

"Unlike everyone else, I haven't left you behind. Not like your brother or sister who went off to play tennis and unlike Tristan."
He emphasized his brother's name, to make a point. "And it doesn't matter of it was an accident, because he did leave you behind."

He didn't have to look at her twice to know he had came into her line of thoughts. And it annoyed him beyond hell. So much to the point, he had to refold his arms to keep from hitting her.

M A S O N
"Karoline," Mason breathed, trying to soften his voice for his girlfriend and both his sake. And as well for the super market's. He did not waslnt to go off with her. So he held on tight to that patience of his.

"Even if that was true, which it isn't, what gives you a right to say it? Huh?" He gazed at his side where she stood."It's mean and malicious and hurtful. You should think before speaking."

Mason knew he had a problem of not thinking before he spoke. And it sometimes led to offending or hurting someone. But he was always quick to apologize and learn from his mistake. On the other hand, Kari was ruthless, she didn't care, she actually found some sort of amusement in it.

"It's not only with Lainey either. It's with everyone. Including me."

l a i n e y
Lainey flinched at the mention of Tristan, his brother, her first love. The only person, other than her family, who had ever actually loved Lainey, as far as she knew or was concerned. Or, at least, the only one who had ever bothered to treat her like she mattered. And she missed him so much.

"Or," she said in a shaky whisper, her entire body trembling like a wet kitten. "Tristan had something you didn't and you couldn't handle it, so you took the chance when he died."

Lainey knew she'd get hit for that later but she didn't care in the moment. She didn't care about anything in the moment. So she ducked her head and turned away from Harrison, disappearing through the aisles.

k a r o l i n e
Karoline glowered as she tossed chocolate cake mixes into the trolley. "Well, shit, I'm sorry that I'm honest," she said angrily, her brow creased in a scowl. She shot Mason a deplorable look.

"If I'm so horrible to you, then how come you keep crawling back to me every single fucking time?"

Karoline was cut off by the sudden appearance of Lainey, who looked shaken and hurt and afraid. "I think I'll take you up on that ice cream offer," she whispered to Mason, to which Karoline's eyebrows shot up into her hairline.

M A S O N
Mason had never been more happy to see Lainey in the short time that he had known her. Without knowing it, she had saved him from having to deal with Karoline anymore. Because, again, her words stung.

And, though, he knew he would never hear the and of it for leaving her, he really didn't care. Not now. He just wanted to leave.

"Come on."
He mumbled, placing a hand on her back. He speedily led Lainey away and out of the aisle, out of the store, away from the fury of their lovers and to his slick black lexus.

He himself didn't bother looking back. Strangely enough, he also did not feel the least bit bad or guilty. As soon as they were outside, he felt relieved and no longer suffocated. He would normally choose to stay out and drink in the fresh outside air longer, but instead, he ushered Lainey into the passenger seat.

"So,"
Mason started as soon as he was in his seat and pulling out of the parking lot."What do you like to do when you're not cleaning?"

l a i n e y
Lainey half-expected Harrison to come running after her and beat her up right there in the street. But nothing happened, which surprised Lainey, but not as much as the overwhelming wave of relief that washed over her when she realised, she was safe.

In Mason Wagner's car. Mason from Turbulence.

"I watch a lot of tennis," the small Hungarian woman told her boss as she leaned back into the comfortable seat of Mason's fancy car. "My brother and sister both play in the big league for Hungary. Vasily and Piper Applewhite. I would have played too, but I broke my leg and couldn't compete anymore."

Lainey wasn't sure why she had told Mason this. They weren't friends. A couple of days ago she had hated him. But maybe she was happy because he had saved her from Harrison's wrath for one day.

"So I watch them. Vasily's number ten in mens' and Piper's number seven in womens'."

M A S O N
"Now that you mention it, I know exactly who you're talking about." Mason arched an eyebrow, glancing at her fleetingly and let his eyes fall back on the road ahead him.

He would have never realized it without her saying so. He wasn't a huge sports fan, but he knew quite a few things about them and their star players thanks to his sister. But now that he truly looked at Lainey she resembled Vasily and Piper heavily. And their last names were Applewhite, there was no questioning the obvious truth.

"Margot loves them. Dynamic brother sister duo, climbing to the top and taking on the sport."
He said, pondering on the subject and smiling as a fond memory resurfaced."She wanted me to be an actor an act along side her, and, yes, that is as stupid as it sounds."

Then it dawned on him, and he suddenly felt bad. The Applewhite's could have been a brother sister trio if she hadn't been in that accident. And she was left to cleaning houses, which he had totally insulted on the very night he met her.

That was what Mason felt horrid about.

"You know, I never apologized the night before. At the club, for my behaviour."
He took one hand off the wheel to ruffle his hair. He would need a haircut."I am sorry about that. And Karoline too."

l a i n e y
Lainey would be lying if she said she didn't feel a little upset when Mason went on about how great her siblings were together. She ran a hand through her hair as she dwelled on the fact that she should be there, too, with her brother and sister, on the podium. Lainey had been just as good as them, if not better.

"It's fine." She didn't hold anything against Mason, not when she knew she was pathetic and that Karoline was right. "You don't need to apologise."

"And you can't apologise for Karoline, anyway." Lainey shifted uncomfortably and slid down further in her seat. "You don't own her. But she seems to think she owns you."

It slipped out, she hadn't meant to say it, but it was true. Over the last week Lainey had seen Karoline treat Mason like absolute shit, and she hated it. She hated seeing such a nice guy be treated so poorly by someone who was supposed to love him.

"She's really mean to you," Lainey whispered.

M A S O N
"Yeah, well ... " Mason's hands noticeable tightened around the steering wheel. He exhaled heavily and slowly and softly inhaled as if to relax himself, but not from getting angry. He looked more distressed than angry.

"She's not that bad."
That sounded like a lie to even himself. And Lainey could obviously see through his bullshit, she had been working for them about a week now. So of course she knew things about them. Not everything however.

"She can be really sweet once you get to know her ... She hates you though. Which makes absolutely no sense."

He sighed once again and shrugged a shoulder. "She's probably just jealous of your genuine classiness. She has to fake it, if you couldn't tell."

l a i n e y
Yes, she is that bad.

Lainey raised both her eyebrows. "Classy? You think I'm classy?" And, no, she hadn't been able to tell that Karoline had to fake it, because whenever Lainey was in their house, she made a conscious effort to stay as far away from Karoline as she possibly and physically could.

"I clean your house, Mason, I'm not classy," she reminded him. Lainey turned her head to look out the window, mainly so he couldn't see the blush on her pale face.

Lainey had never been anything but plain, in her opinion. While she was almost identical to her twin sister Piper, Piper somehow managed to look prettier. Or maybe it was because she didn't have a limp. Either way, Piper was the 'pretty' sister.

M A S O N
"I don't see how you cleaning my house makes you non classy." Mason frowned slightly, tilting his head to the side a little. Ultimately, he didn't care what she said. His eyes could see clearly and it wasn't just in her appearance either, but personality.

"You could be doing anything for a living and still be just as cool and pretty."

He shrugged his shoulders, turning the car down a street on his left. They were nearing his favorite and usual ice cream parlor. Though, it ead yet to be in sight, so he took the opportunity to go on.

"However, your boyfriend sucks ass. No offence, but in the short time I talked to him, I already deemed him so."
He scratched his nose with a single finger.

l a i n e y
Lainey licked her lips at the mention of Harrison and stared straight ahead. Harrison, who did take care of her, despite being an asshole most of the time. Harrison, who was going to be inconceivably angry when she got home.

Harrison, who was supposed to love her.

"He can be at times," Lainey agreed with a small nod of her head, bringing her thumbnail up to her lips to chew on it quietly as she considered her relationship with her boyfriend. "Sometimes he's sweet."

Subconsciously, Lainey started to rub the top of her arm, where he had hit her last week. The bruises had faded but it still ached occasionally.

"Karoline seemed pretty fascinated with him," she murmured, almost bitterly.

M A S O N

"Sometimes."
Mason noted underneath his breath. But he didn't say anything more on the subject even if he didn't like it. He believed that in relationships both sides should be sweet always. After all, this was supposed to be the person you loved and who loved you.

But he couldn't say that. How could he? It would make him a hypocrite considering Karorline. Karoline, who she so kindly brought back up.

"Apparently the feeling was mutual." It should have bothered him. But in all truth, it really didn't. And that fact bothered him more than his girlfriend's interest in another man.

He parked his car in the lot of a Baskin Robins next to the Thames rivers. He helped Lainey out by opening her door after getting exiting the vehicle himself. Chivalry had practically became a natural instinct fie him from a young age, so he also held the door to the shop open for her as well.

"Feel free to get whatever you want. It's my treat."

l a i n e y
Lainey wondered why she didn't care that Karoline and Harrison seemed interested in one another. She didn't doubt that he'd cheated on her, anyway, so it didn't come as all that much of a surprise. And that made her very, very sad.

But her sadness was evaporated by the appearance of ice cream. Even though she knew that the chances of professionally playing tennis were very slim, Lainey generally tried to eat healthy, just in case. But she always made an exception for good ice cream. Her dirty secret.

She ordered boysenberry gelato and double choc fudge ice cream, two scoops, one of each, with grated chocolate on top. Pleased with her treat, she sat down across from Mason at a small table in the corner.

"So how come you never mentioned you were from Turbulence?" she asked him, a hint of a smile on her face. "It's my second-favourite band, after Beautiful Pain."