Nightfall, Children of the Elements (apocalyptic/elemental)

• Thread starter codasterthedisaster
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice shook her head sadly and gave a weak smile. "No, Sable... But if someone could find me yarn..." Alice chewed her gum, silently of course. "I can knit. My mother taught me how to knit before..." Alice froze. She was way too uncomfortable to tell these people she just met happened to her mom. "S-she w-was killed... by my D-dad." Her legs were shaking as she recalled the memory. Slowly she steadied herself and calmed down. "Sorry guys... Little flashback there."

She turned to the group, her usual expression rested on her face, her eyes seeming to glow with pride. "Okay guys. I can tell by the spider's appearance. One leg is slight shorter than the one on the other side that it was mirroring. If I had to guess..." Alice paused. "It would be a Necromancer. In... that direction." Alice was giving a full blown smile, and she stuck her finger North. "I can hear him summoning another one of these dudes." Jerking her thumb towards the dead spider carcass. "Let's go kill that sucker." and began to walk North following the sounds she heard.

"You got all that from that thing's legs?" Clearly, Carlos was doubtful of Alice's claims, but he followed her north anyway, hands lax behind his heap of locks. He realized that it didn't matter if she was right. It was dark now which means demons in all walks of hell are bound to find them.

Once, he stole a glance at Alice and saw how firm that determined smile remained on her face. Far from the fragile thing she was earlier. We all lost someone, I guess. Immediately, he shook away the dark memories that threatened to ruin his pumped up mood. We all lost someone, he repeated. But Imma take Alice's example and laugh it off.

Then he started walking backwards just to see who else was following. He barely knew these people but here they were, working together to kick demon butt. I wonder what their stories are. He wanted to ask them but something else bothered him.

"Uh," he reluctantly started to no one in particular, embarrassed, "What's a necromancer? I've never... fought one before..." He regretted his words as soon as he said them. They must think I'm an idiot. He had never fought necromancers or any slightly higher ranking demons before. All that ever mattered to him was protecting his family. He didn't go off looking for trouble. In fact, now that he thought about it, he was surprised at how quickly he joined this queer party. I blame the girls.

Devynne roamed her eyes around the group. They were all talking about going off somewhere to do something together. She sighed. She didn't really trust these people very much. Not enough to just blindly follow them wherever. She watched as a new girl entered the scene, drawing all of Epsil's attention as well as Carlos'. Rolling her eyes at the boy who obviously was girl crazy, she turned her body around to face the alley she'd come from. She still wanted to get to all the stuff she had stashed over the course of her "survival". Raising a hand to her head she sunk her fingers into her thick black locks. From the looks of the new girl, she was about the same height as Devynne, both being very small. Except she looked about like a deer caught in headlights. Timidity like that in a world like this was rare. You had to learn to be tough to survive. She shook her head. There was something about the way she felt right now... Anger? Jealousy? No... Perhaps it was anxiety. She took a few steps down the alleyway she'd come, keeping her hand on her gun. There could always be more baddies about and she wanted to keep on guard but in a way she also wanted to get away from the group. She cracked her knuckles, warring with herself whether to leave or stay.

Epsil watched Carlos a little more suspiciously now. Why? Epsil didn't really know himself. Jealousy, perhaps? But he'd only met Sable a few seconds ago. Why was he so...intrigued by her? He shook his head to clear his thoughts and listened to Alice's theory. "A necromancer, you say? Hm...been a long time since I've seen one of them." His unsettling wolfish grin returned to his visage as he thought about tearing the vile creature limb from limb. Necromancers weren't humans, as a lot of people thought. They were hideous, shrunken little demons that had a knack for disturbing spacetime and calling in hordes of demons. Epsil wasn't sure if he'd classify the little shit as a lesser demon or a greater demon. Physically, it was probably the weakest, but because of its summoning ability...

Epsil sighed. "Alice, I'll go with you to kill it," he said, his grin widening for a few seconds. He ignored Carlos's question, and the girl inviting everyone in. He took a few steps to catch up with Alice before turning around, to face Devynne. "I'll pay you back if you give Sable some clothes," he said with a wink. He turned back around, caught up to Alice, and matched step with her. "I want to see how you deal with 'em." He grinned widely at the redhead. "I'll step in if you need help, but for the most part I want to see what you're capable of. You can devise whatever test you want for me later." He chuckled. Alice seemed like a fun person. That, and the ability to manipulate sound was arguably the best ability out of everyone in the group. In the very least, sound manipulation had the most utility.

"Ok." She said to herself as everyone ignored her she turned around locking her door behind her. Lighting some candles the darkness sunk in.

"Easy." Alice and the others who went with her reached one of the only non-collapsed buildings on the blocks. The redhead chuckled and popped the lock on the door with the tip of her spear, picking it skillfully and stepped inside. "Well. Isn't this lovely?" She gestured to the skulls, bones, and blood scattered on the floor of the building. Alice ascended a small staircase leading to the upper level. There was DEFINITELY a magical space enhancer in this place because if it were real, it would hang off of front side of the building. Sure enough, there it was, the necromancer muttering magic words. "Bonjour, Monsieur Abracadabra, mounrir s'il vous plaît" Alice shut down the demon's vocal chords so he couldn't summon any minions or at least cry out. Calmly, she walked over to the demon, clutching his throat and attempting to cry out. "You know," Alice looked at her spear, then back at the demon who looked like he was being tortured. "You look like you've gone to hell and back. So go back again."
And with that, Alice stabbed her spear silently through the frontal section of his brain and left it stuck in there admiring the demon unicorn at her feet.

Sitting down in the dark and dirty basement the small girl curled in on herself as a large rat ran past. She wasn't sure how long she had been here, maybe hours but maybe days, all she knew is that those big bugs had come and taken her to a disgusting little creature. It had clicked and chirped at her and when he had tried to poke her she put up a light screen. This had excited the creature and he'd had her thrown down into the basement. Without food or water she was absolutely miserable and her mouth and throat were dry as a bone. 'I'm going to die here, in a gross place all alone.' After the first few hours she had given up crying and just sat in the one corner that a but of light managed to trickle through. As she began to doze though, the small girl heard a commotion up above. Scrambling to her feet she tried to make herself as unnoticeable as was possible in the dark dungeon. Suddenly a high pitched scream came through the air and she instinctively knew that her kidnapper had died. Running to the trapdoor that held her in she began to bang on it. "Help! Someone help me I'm in here! Please help!" Her voice cracked and she realized what a mess she must look. Her skinny jeans were in tatters and her boots barely clung to them anymore. Her pink shirt was ripped to reveal half of her stomach and grime clung to her everywhere. Quickly she brushed at her short spiked ivory hair as her blue eyes welled with tears at the prospect of finally being rescued. Maybe the person above would have some water to spare for her sandpaper mouth. She sure hoped they were friendly.

Devynne stopped when she heard Epsil's voice, directed at her. "I'll pay you back if you give Sable some clothes," She turned back just in time to see him wink at her. She rolled her eyes before looking to the small girl that Epsil had meant. By now the Alice girl and the crazy black haired boy were gone. She looked at the remainders. "I guess that means we're heading to my place. Any of you who's coming, follow me I guess." She sighed. Of course... leave her to do babysitting. She sparked with the indignation of it all. The audacity of these jerks. Ordering me around like they know me. She thought to herself. I should just leave the little twerp out here to defend herself. She scuffed her foot along the floor as she headed back down the alleyway she'd come from, not even checking to see if anyone was following her. She wanted to punch something. Hard. Yet she refrained. She didn't know why but these people really grated her nerves. She bet she could take them on too. It'd be easy probably. They may be strong against demons but fighting people was different. She would know, she'd had to fight off many attackers since the fall. AS such, she'd developed a dirty style of fighting, learning to quickly find weaknesses and go for the chink in the armor. She shook her mane of hair off her shoulders. Screw them. She was better.

Sable watched as Epsil left then turned to Devynne as she spoke. She didn't sound very happy about it and she hoped that she didn't hate her.

Matching Devynne's pace she turned to her, a sweet smile spread over face as she introduced herself. 'Hello... Devynne was it? I'm Sable.' She tried to be as nice as she could but you could hear the uncertainty in her voice. She mentally frowned at herself when she spoke.
Well that was terrible...

She shook her head slightly, dismissing any of her negative thoughts and continued to walk with her.

Epsil cackled madly, clapping his hands at Alice's skillful execution. "I don't even understand that language and it cracks me up," he said, grinning widely and pretending to wipe a tear from his cheek. "Silencing him was brilliant. I still don't know how those little shits do what they do though." The amber-eyed boy shrugged, placing his hands back in his pockets. "I was expecting more resistance. I use the term lightly. Still, though." He shrugged again.

He turned around, taking a deep breath. That's when he realized the room smelled like sulfur. "Alice," Epsil said calmly, his expression slightly more serious. "We might want to run." Epsil strolled over to the window and kicked it. Glass and chunks of the wall flew outward, creating a big enough hole to escape out of. "And we might want to get the others to run."

He ignored the pounding of the trap door for a second before he walked over and kicked it open. The only thing that stopped Epsil from ignoring it completely was the girl's voice. Without a word, Epsil reached down and yanked the girl up, tossing her over his shoulder. "You'll thank me in a bit," he said, grabbing Alice's wrist. Then he set off at a dead sprint, leaping out of the window as flames erupted behind the trio.

An obsidian-black fist reached out; the body from which it originated was obscured by flames. The claws of the hand were as long as steak knives, and sharper than razors. Cracks ran through the surface, from which magma flowed freely. A deep roar shook the air, resonating within Epsil's sensitive ears. He grimaced, wishing his hands were free so he could cover his ears.

As they neared the ground, Epsil released Alice, trusting the girl to be able to land on her own. He didn't trust the other girl he just rescued, so he pulled her from his shoulder into a hug, and landed on his back to absorb the shock. He bounced twice on the pavement, groaning and coughing a couple times, slowly removing his arms so the girl could get up. "Alice," he wheezed. "Take her and run, I'll distract it and meet up with you."

He offered a genuine smile to the new girl before slowly getting to his feet and stepping forward. He dusted himself off and looked up at the burning building. "Tell the others there's an infernal greater demon here. Whatever the fuck the demons are doing here is something big, and they don't like us trespassing." He cracked his knuckles and grinned psychotically at the blackened arm that was tearing through the walls. "I can't fight it alone but I can hold it off long enough for you all to escape. That, and I know I can outrun this big bastard."

The black-haired boy turned back and honestly smiled, for the second time, at Alice. "Be safe, friend."

Reactions: 2 people
"The least I can do is muffle that ridiculous roar for you, Epsil." She flashed a sincere grin and snapped her fingers. Th roar was muted instantly. Alice eased the girl into a piggyback position. She took Epsil's warning and basically flew with the girl on her back, held still by the spear in Alice's right hand. Alice stole a glance behind her and saw the giant-ass greater demon roar mutely and the raven hair boy sprinting away to outrun that thing. Dust streaked her face and debris tripped her every now and then, but made it safely back to the alleyway where hey had all met. She wuickly pounded on the door of the girl who invited them all in before. The door swung open and Alice shoved her gently inside and shutting the door.

She turned and saw Devynne and Sable leaving and quickly caught up to them. Alice was completly out of breeathe and managed to pant, "Greater demon... Need help... Other shit..." And quickly dashed to where Epsil was outrunning the demon. "I thouht I told you to escape!" Epsil screamed at Alice as she was running alongside the amber eyed boy. "Screw escaping and lets kill this thing!" Her red eyes gleamed with pride, and she let out a laugh. "Now this is real fun." Alice chuckled to herself.

The commotion up above her head was getting more intense and the small ivory headed girl took a step forward to see if she could find any cracks in the trapdoor. Suddenly the door was flung open and Aurelia was grabbed by a dark haired boy who immediately threw her over his shoulder, eliciting a gasp from her cracked lips. The first thing she knew was that they were falling and a large hand was reaching out towards them. She didn't know which to be more worried about, the demon behind the wall or the bone breaking fall. It seemed like she needn't worry about either though, because as they approached the ground the dark haired boy protected her with his own body, bouncing and slamming down hard once again. Immediately she got up, concerned for her rescuer, only to find that he seemed fine.
Aurelia wasn't even granted a moment to thank her captor before he ordered the other girl to take her away from the area and she was pulled onto the other girls back. The speed that the other girl was running was impressive and she knew that she must be dealing with other Children, as her mother had called them. Before she knew it she was being shoved into a house and the door shut. Concerned Aurelia flung the door back open. These people had saved her life, no way was she going to just stand by while they fought this big bastard. Going back out into the street she located the two that had saved her, along with a few others. Her parched throat and mouth were quickly forgotten as she looked up into the eyes of a massive demon standing tall above them.

The girl was trying to match her pace as she walked on. 'Hello... Devynne was it? I'm Sable.' Devynne shook her head. "I know who you are, kid." They were walking at a fast pace when she heard an explosion behind her. "What the..." She turned around to see Alice sprinting towards them. "Greater demon... Need help... Other shit..." Devynne rolled her eyes. "Can we not go two freaking seconds without more things attacking us?!" She looked at Sable "Come on." With that she sprinted back the way they'd come to help the two teens who were facing a gigantic black hand. "For Chrissake..." She shook her head, staring at the thing. What the heck were they supposed to do against a thing like that?

Kid? We are basically the same age?
She frowned as she mentally crossed out being friends with Devynne.
She doesn't seem to like me much...

Alice came charging up to them with another girl she had not seen before. Her words were frantic but before she could catch her breath she was off again.

Devynne sprinted off leaving Sable alone. She wasn't exactly in any condition to fight a giant hand so she yelled after her 'You go ahead!' Sitting down on a nearby crumbling wall she watched them.
I have no idea how they'll kill that...

Carlos had to admit: his jaw dropped at how Alice pierced the necromancer in an instant. And what was all that nonsense she had uttered? But seeing how a girl can finish off a necromancer with a couple of moves, he decided that necromancers were easy kill after all. "Pfsh," he mumbled after Epsil had praised Alice. "I could have taken him," he stuck his tongue at the bloody mess.

Before Carlos knew it, Epsil kicked the hell out of a window and urged Alice to escape. "Oi! What the hell's the matter with you?!" Carlos had instinctively air jumped to the farthest corner of the room from the crash. Too soon, he saw why.

It was pure horror emerging from the floor: how the razor-sharp claws sliced a nearby table in two, how he could taste the smell of burnt sulfur that quickly filled the room, how liquid fire was dauntingly spreading across the floor. This monster had come out of nowhere! For a second there, Carlos felt how puny he was in this dark world.

Mesmerized by the scene before him, Carlos barely heard Epsil pushing Alice and the new girl outside the building. The words "greater demon" lingered in his mind's eye. A greater demon, he repeated to himself. In a snap, all the horrible memories rushed in his heart and called him out of his trance.

Fire was spreading quickly. Another frightful arm climbed out of the floor. I need to get out of here ASAP! He molded an air bubble between his palms and willed it grow into a sphere around him that was larger than he was. Not enough. He compressed more and more air in his bubble until it burst around him, blowing up the enitre upper floor. In that precious second when the fire fizzled into nothing, Carlos propelled himself to the roof across the street. As rapid as he left, the fire appeared to consume the rest of the place.

From up there, he had a good view of everything around him. On the street below him, he saw Devynne and the rest arriving, along with a girl he hadn't seen before. Meanwhile, Epsil was preparing to deal a blow. Not if I blow first, Carlos smirked. He steadied his stance and took a breath. With a deafening roar, the greater demon had finally emerged itself in its full form, covered in fire and the remains of the house it had appeared in.

"I AM NOT GONNA LET YA KILL THIS THING WITHOUT ME!" Carlos aimed a sharp whip of air at the creature's cheeks. Before the demon could turn his head at Carlos, he whipped another wave of air. Then, another, and another. It wasn't doing as much damage as Carlos would have hoped but at least he was annoying the hell of the demon. "YEAH, COME AT ME, YOU... YOU..." — of all the moments to run out of badass names! — "VOLCANO-HEAD THINGY!!!"

Over and over, Carlos continuously jumped at another roof and swiftly landed another whip of air on the demon's forehead, making it chase him distractedly in circles.​

SHIT.
Was Alice's first, worst, simplest, and stupidest thought ever. And Alice knew she had thought a lot of stupid things. Especially recently.
Alice was charging into battle, with no clue if anyone else was following her or not. She watched as Carlos slapped the thing on the head a few times with a whip made of air and ran in circles. She sprint and stabbed the demon in the black, obsidian, and ever-so deadly hand. It recoiled and flinched, and Alice was still hanging onto the shaft. It tried to shake her spear loose, like a sand spur in a child's hand. It hurt, but it couldn't dislodge the weapon. Alice clung there, nausea slowly building up in the pit of her stomach and she felt like she was in a giant whirlpool, like a hero caught inside the myth of Charybdis, the sea monster that made a gigantic whirlpool, and spit it back out, only to eat it again. She was forced to let go.

As she fell, she wondered if and how she was going to die. Alice couldn't decide between free falling to her demise, or die by fighting the giant demon. Just thinking about death filled her up with fury. She couldn't stand the thought of leaving this world behind. She was NOT going to die here. She quickly located every sound she could amplify and amplified it so loud it sounded like an exploding quasar or even a supernova. She held it out until it hurt. Every sound, every movement, every heartbeat, every breath, Alice could hear it all. Her body ached, inside, outside, and everywhere else. Now about the falling... She had absolutely no clue what would happen.

Alice made off with the girl Epsil rescued. He then turned his attention to the molten behemoth that was finished making its explosive entrance. It stood close to twenty feet tall with its knuckles on the ground. Instantly the demon focused on Epsil, opening its mouth and roaring. Flames rushed out, engulfing the street in front of Epsil. Dammit, I won't be able to get close for very long, he thought, grimacing as a tongue of flame wrapped around his arm, incinerating his coat sleeve and searing his flesh. He jumped backwards, shedding his coat as he did so, revealing scarred and mottled skin of his arms. "Ya got me. Too bad I'm left handed," Epsil cackled, dodging a fireball and two burning fists. He picked up a chunk of rubble and hurled it at the demon, grunting in pain. He looked at his arm. The burnt flesh cracked, and blood was flowing freely down his arm, dripping on the asphalt. "Damn," he whispered to himself.

He picked up another piece of rubble and threw it at the demon. There was a satisfying crunch and roar. The demon covered its eye with its hand. Epsil didn't even stop to taunt before he started running. He cut through an alley and looped back around. The demon could still smell Epsil. It turned and followed him, staying hot on his trail even when the boy doubled or tripled back. Epsil came back to where he started, scowling slightly. Blood loss was making him feel slightly dizzy, and his breath came in gasps.

Then Alice returned, looking excited and confident. Epsil laughed to himself, his eyes were wide with fear and his lips were parted in a psychotic grin. "No, RUN!" Whips of air were slapping against the beast's head every few seconds. Carlos was on the roof, bombarding it and keeping it running in circles. Epsil sighed. Maybe the could get away. He closed his eyes, rubbing them for a moment and catching his breath. Then he looked up. Alice was hanging out of the demon's hand, her spear stuck in its palm. It managed to shake her loose, and as she fell, every single sound was deafening. Epsil swore he could feel his eardrums bursting. But no matter the pain, he ran. His legs moved faster than he'd ever felt them move before, and he launched himself through the air, reaching out to Alice with both arms. His fingertips brushed her clothes, but that was enough. He managed a handful of the girl's shirt, and that was enough for her to be pulled to Epsil's chest. He slammed into the side of a building and slid down, his arms going limp as soon as he touched the ground. A scream escaped his lips. His burned arm was gushing blood everywhere. He grit his teeth and struggled to his feet, blood dripping painfully loud with Alice's sound amplification. Even the greater demon was covering his ears. In an effort to command everyone while keeping their eardrums intact, Epsil whispered, "Get out of here. Now."

He held his ground.

They aren't doing very well...
Sable watched as they struggled to inflict damage on the giant creature. She knew she should go and help them but was still reluctant to fully trust them, but that all disappeared as she noticed Epsil's arm stained in his blood. She leaned forward and gasped, her hands over her mouth.
I have to help them!
She grabber her daggers and ran as fast as she could but then froze as she saw Alice falling from the beasts hand to the death that would await her as she hit the ground. A wave of relief washed over her as Epsil had saved her, even though he must have hurt himself more doing so. She began to run again until she reached where he had landed and grabbed his arm to examined it, without looking up or saying a word. She finally looked up, a mischievous smile had spread across it as she pulled off her handmade dress to reveal her actual clothes. She attached them to her jeans and unsheathed one, using it to cut through the material. She could tell by his confused look she owed him an explanation. 'I don't trust you all as far as i can throw you but seeing as we are in this situation,' she gestures over to the beast that was running around in circles chasing Carlos, 'I can be a team player and not loot you guys. Sorry.' She felt a bit bad she had lied to them but that was how the world worked now. She had finished tying the material around his arm to stop his blood escaping and grabbed her other dagger out. 'Shall we try and kill this thing now?'

For a moment the flurry of battle held the small girl in a trance. The curly headed boy jumping from rooftop to rooftop and the dark boy that had rescued her running every which way. She was bolted to the ground watching her saviors getting their asses kicked for nearly a full minute. More people that she didn't know were quickly jumping into the battle and she watched them amazed, but once Alice came falling down from the sky she was broken from her revery. Moving stealthily she stayed close to the buildings, watching as Sable patched Epsil up with her dress. Knowing that there wasn't much she could do as of yet she came up on the trio and knelt down quietly in from of the dark haired boy. "That dress will slow the bleeding, but it won't effectively stop it." Aurelia said, glancing to the girl it had come from. "I might not be able to help any other way but..." She reached forward and untied the dress. "I don't want to seem like I'm outdoing you, but this is a bad wound." She said, once again speaking to Sable. "Light is energy..." She murmured to herself, placing her hands over his bloodied arm with a cringe. "And if you excite white blood cells to a certain point..." Quickly Epsils arm scabbed over and began to close. Once he was completely healed she leaned heavily against the wall, her face a big pale. "Th-there." She managed to stammer out. Converting light into energy took a lot of effort on her part and left her tired, the aftereffects of which left her mouth parched again. Standing on wobbly legs she smiled weakly. "Go kick that things ass, I'll try my best to help."

Last edited:
Carlos had cheered when Alice pierced the greater demon on his back but was taken aback when her strike made it even more furious. He was about to lunge a blast of air to push Alice's spear even deeper but her amplified shriek made him lose his balance. With the painful ringing in his ears clouding his judgement, Carlos slipped on the angular roof he was standing on. He managed a whiff of air on his soles to glide him roughly on a nearby balcony and then, softly, on the street where Epsil and the rest had gathered. He and Alice were hurt pretty bad.

"That woman...needs to learn where to aim," he muttered through his heavy breathing. The ringing was fading painfully slowly. In the corner of his eyes, the greater demon, still writhing from Alice's scream, was wrecking nearby building mindlessly. It received the full effect of the sound torture but if the ringing in my head is fading, then it won't be long before it starts focusing on us.

Decidedly, he offered both Epsil, fully healed now, so he can steady himself. "I'll keep distracting Volcano-Head Thingy so ya'll can lodge a decent blow. Now that we have a cute magical healer on our team," winking at the new girl, "we totally have nothing to be afraid of." Normally, watching a stranger heal a serious wound in a matter of seconds would blow his mind, but now, the greater demon takes priority. Today is so full of surprises, I gave up on being surprised.

Before the demon could fix it's demented eyes on the group, Carlos dashed towards the other side, clumsily tumbling on debris on the ground, then on the sides of buildings. Guess my balance is still off. Tsk. Can't turn back now. "HEY VOLCANO-HEAD!" The demon was already heading towards the others. With a mighty heave, he gathered the debris around him and rained them down on demon. A huge piece of gravel hit it squarely where Alice had. It wailed. "WOOT! YEAH, COME AT ME...YOU...DOLT!" The last attack had made him lose his breath, but he had no time to rest. The demon was coming for him. Panicking, he dashed madly in dizzying directions in the hopes of leading the demon away from the others.​

Status
Not open for further replies.