Nightfall, Children of the Elements (apocalyptic/elemental)

• Thread starter codasterthedisaster
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
After Epsil had introduced himself, and striked a dramatic pose, Alice had a light pink tint on her face. She had recieved the expected reactions from the other kids her age on the bloodied asphalt. They had stared at her like she fell from the sky, which she technically did. Espil was different. He had actually smiled and acted like an old friend, with formal introductions. When Epsil took the girl's wrist, Alice had taken the spear out of the concrete like a warm knife through butter. "13 inches. New record!" Alice thought to herself. She popped some gum in her mouth and chewed, the sounds muted to not disrupt the conversation.

Carlos couldn't help but feel his fists clench in his crossed arms. This Epsil guy had some serious attitude problem. He was clearly one of those many people who lost it when the demons started coming to take over the world. What makes it worse is his unnatural super strength. Could I take him on? he calculated. He was cocky about his super strength but I wonder he can match my speed. Then again, I have no idea what else these kids have underneath their sleeves. I hate him already, he declared to himself.

When Epsil locked his palm on Devynne's wrist, he instinctively went in between. That was no way to treat a girl. "Oi," he resumed with his lazy, easy-going attitude, although a little more cautious this time. He winked at Devynne before trying to pry Epsil's fingers from her but the dude had a really strong grip. "I think the lady said to let go." It's been a while since he's been face to face with this many people. And powerful people at that. Already the tension in the air was making him sweat-- totally unattractive-- but it didn't matter to him right now. He wanted answers. He sighed, yielding at Epsil's super grip, "Look, man. That was the sixth spider demon I fought today, and everyone knows that that spider demons don't just come out of blue in those numbers. So you better tell me what ya'll are doing here." He gulped, but he didn't mean to. At least he was able to look at Epsil eye to eye. As far as he was concerned, this dark-haired kid was the shadiest of all the characters he was with right now.​

With a sigh Zayne decided to give up on being diplomatic. At the moment it just seemed to be one big clash of ego's. Some kid claiming this place was his turf, girl's coming out of the sky, and some arrogant guy taking offense to every word that came out of somebodies mouth. Leaning against the wall that the girl with the bow was sitting on he slid down the wall and sat there. He'd let those three work out there issues and talk with whoever was left standing if it came to that.

"Well I'm Zayne" directing his comment towards the girl pulling her spear out of the ground and giving a smile "It's a pleasure to meet you"

Epsil's grip tightened on the girl's wrist momentarily before he let go. "My, my, my. We certainly do have an electric personality here," he said, cackling at his own pun. His eyes narrowed slightly and his grin faltered as the girl continued to stare him down. "Tough crowd," he remarked, sighing. "As for who you are, it is my business. We're the last of a dying race. I take it very seriously." A slight smirk returned to Epsil's lips.

It was at this point that the spider-demon boy stepped between Epsil and Devynne. Epsil's eyebrow twitched in irritation. "Oi," he responded. "I wanted to ask her a question before she ran off." Epsil folded his arms across his chest, staring back at the boy with a completely neutral expression. The only emotion in Epsil's face lie in his eyes; the amber orbs seemed to glitter dangerously. Of course, he had no intention of harming the teenager standing in front of him, but if he was just going to rudely step between him and Devynne...

"I also don't recall her asking for help. She can handle herself, kiddo." Epsil's 'serious' face still looked like he was on the verge of breaking into laughter. Epsil sighed again as Carlos demanded what everyone was doing in the area. "I am here because I'm looking for someone. That, and I just feel like it. Hell, I'm surprised you haven't heard of the broadcasts."

Devynne looked between Epsil and Carlos. On the bright side, Epsil had let her go. On the other hand, Carlos felt he needed to protect her like some damsel in distress, apparently. Her eyebrow quirked up. "If you boys are done having your little catfight," She looked at each boy in turn, staring them down. "You're in my way." The girl was tired of this meaningless gabbing. She was still on patrol after all, and they were all practically sitting ducks out here in the open. They might be able to take on a few demons with their combined efforts, but she didn't really want to continue risking a situation. Sure both of the guys were cute and she felt slightly flattered that they were even doing this. Yet Devynne wasn't some sort of girly girl with a boy crazy complex. She was a warrior and they were potential targets as well as deterrents. She needed to get back to the place where she was sheltering and change out of her bloodstained shirt. Running a finger through her thick locks she watched the two egos of the boys warring. The dark headed one obviously had some sort of god complex and it grated her nerves. He also however, seemed to know what he was doing in a fight. She sighed. Today was supposed to be an easy day.

The light pink blushed had returned to Alice's face, but rose pink this time. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Zayne." Mustering all the politeness she possibly could have, Alice returned the smile with a happy, bright, closed-mouth smile. She stopped and cocked her head as if listening to something inaudible. In truth, it was two sets of footsteps pounding on cement, except one sounded like a spider. Spider...? The duo was moving incredibly fast, reaching them in no time. "Duck!" Alice dove to the ground accidentally tackling Zayne, as the spider burst through the wall.

Carlos raised his eyebrows at Devynne. He had imagined her to blush at his gesture of help like all the other sweet, innocent girls back home. Clearly, Devynne was a different case. The gun holstered on her belt, plus the fact that she was a living, breathing taser, was proof enough. Hurt, he held his arms up and retreated from the petite chic, but no way was he letting his eyes, now narrowed, off of Epsil.

"Yeah, I've heard the broadcasts and the rumors. If you all came here for the dude who killed that big ass demon over there," he nodded at the outline of the infamous Greater Demon pinned on one of the tallest skyscrapers of Dogtown. From where they stood, they could still make out the gigantic pole that locked the equally huge carcass in place. He continued, "You're all out of luck. He ain't here. At least, not in this neighborhood. I've been circling these streets for weeks now and no sign of our mysterious savior. Probably long gone by now, and good riddance, too. No one that cocky should have that much power, right Epsil?"

Before Devynne and everyone else decide to part ways, Carlos impulsively offered everyone to come by his place to freshen up. The images of cackling lightning and whooshing arrows were still fresh in his memory. Were they born with powers like me? I bet they know a thing or two about all this. He felt tiny gushes of air whizzing near his palms as he thought. I have to know more about them... like where they got their weapons. "So, what do you say, ladies?" Without permission, he dropped an arm over Devynne's shoulders— he didn't want her to go— and grinned at everyone. "And I guess the guys can come, too."

Alice's warning came barely too late. The spider demon that came at them now was even bigger than the last one. He swiftly glided a few safe feet away from the demon and dragged Devynne with him. He couldn't help but stare at the seventh spider demon that came at him today. This was abnormal, he knew. "Okay, 'fess up!" he called out at everyone, annoyed. "Who brought all their creepy spider demon pets to Dogtown? They weren't here yesterday!" Then, as fast as he could say 'fried mushrooms', he shot an overhead kick from where he stood and a sharp whips of air followed his aim, breaking one of the creature's awfully deadly arms.​

Standing up onto the wall she gave out a howl. "Wow what a bunch of children we have here." She glared at the bickering little kids in front of her. "I personally was wanting an adult conversation not a bunch of little kids biting hissing and pissing at each other." She turned on her heels as she walked away from the group. "And as for my name that is none of your concern." She yelled back at the group. She really didn't care if they were the last of their kind she didn't want anything to do with any of them. Trust? What about trust? She didn't trust them she didn't even know them. Balancing on the wall she kept her sight on the library that was in front of her. She only knew one person on this forgotten piece of blown up land and that was a good book in her hands. Jumping down off the wall she jogged over to the library before vanishing inside. Looking around the grand halls were full of paintings of history mythology and fantasy. Running her hands across the hand carved molding she looked up at the stand glass windows of different shapes and sizes. Smiling she went to the large statue of a large horse with a man on the back. The man however had wings on his back. Running her hands softly over the wings she smiled at herself. "I want wings." She said pulling out a book from under the statue that had great war stories of all times. thumbing through the book she paused on a page at random. Reading the page she would keep thumbing throw. Reading another page she would put the book back then she would pick up another book.

After about an hour of doing so she gave a light sigh to herself. "Now what?" She said walking along the rows of books as she looked for something interesting to read. Picking up a book on high magic she glanced throw the pages that read "Spirits and Magic" laughing at the book she put it back down before seeing another book reading "The Demon Inside of Us." Picking the book up she turned to the front page scratched across the book in blood it said. "It is us." Looking up she gave a face of confusion. "It is us?" She asked herself before putting the book under her arm.

Epsil shrugged. "Oh he's here. If it's who I'm thinking it is, he's here." He wasn't going to bother explaining that statement. Perhaps they'd all figure out when the broadcaster was found. The girl with the katana from earlier seemed upset that nobody was getting along and disappeared inside the nearby library. Epsil chuckled again as Carlos threw his arm around Devynne. "Good job mate, you're about to lose a limb," he said nonchalantly, turning around to face the other two. "Alice, and Zayne, right? What do you two wanna do? All party up and be kickass or what?" His smiled at them, somewhat genuine this time. He still looked pretty insane.

The boy didn't even flinch when Alice called out in warning. The demon charged through the wall, tossing debris with it. Epsil calmly punched a chunk of bricks out of the way, his face deadly serious. "I'm getting real tired of this shit," he growled, taking advantage of Carlos staggering the demon. Before anyone else could react, Epsil was already sailing through the air, a bolt of grey cloth. He spun, throwing as much for as possible into his leg.

He hit the ground with a shower of blood. The top half of the demon landed nearby. "These guys are fragile for how big they are," Epsil noted, still looking and sounding very angry. He looked at Carlos. "No, they've always been here but something's agitating them. We need to leave now, before the real mean ones leave. If you have supplies around town, I'll gather them and meet back up with you. Unless someone absolutely insists on coming with me, that is," he said, sounding authoritative and sane, completely unlike his previous insane self.

Yet his eyes still sparkled with the light of insanity.

"Duck!" Even as she said said it she was already sailing through the air at him. He only had a moment to take everything in as he crashed backwards into the ground with Alice on top of him. Chaos ensued as shattered pieces of stone came flying through the air. In less than a few seconds it seemed to have been dealt with by Epsil and the other one called Carlos.

"Well, I'm up for kickin ass, besides it's not a bad thing to have someone watchin your ass" Zayne called over to Epsil even while having Alice lay on him. He didn't push her off though. It's never a bad thing to have a girl on top of you after all.

"What do you say?" smiling at her like they were not in an awkward situation at all "wanna tag along?"

Devynne glared at Carlos as he draped his arm across her, inviting them all to his house. This one was persistent. She sighed. That's when a warning was shouted out and the wall Alice had been on exploded. "What the f--" Carlos silenced her as he drug her along beside him, sending a kick toward the creature as Epsil finished it off. Looking at the boy through narrow eyes she looked down at his arm, still around her. Huffing through her nose she sent a bolt of electricity jolting across her shoulders and into his arm. "I'm all up for some human company as long as you guys don't act like jerks. I have a huge stash of beer and cigarettes at the place I've been staying in." She shifted her eyes around the group. Epsil had offered to pick things up but she didn't trust him with her stuff. She didn't trust anyone with her stuff, really. Sliding a hand up to push back a stray piece of hair she raised her eyebrows at the group, waiting to see how this would pan out. In the best case scenario, they'd become friends. In the worst case... Somebody'd probably end up dead and it wouldn't be her.

Listening as people all around her yelled at each other, fought and even killed a demon which she peeked around the corner to get a glimpse of, she sighed with relief.
You kill a few Demons, spend a few months alone and you start thinking humans are them too...
She pondered for a moment before standing up slowly to make her way out of her 'home' to greet these strangers. As she approached them she began second guessing herself. There were a few here and were they to attack she'd surely die. Gripping her daggers in her hand tightly she waved with the other, mustering up the courage to continue towards them until she was at least a metre away, a safe distance. 'Sorry i thought you were Demons.' She admitted, scratching her head. 'It's been a while since i saw humans.'

With the book under her arms she looked back at the "Spirits and Magic." "I wonder...." She said grabbing the book as well and running out of the library. She had food at her place and she had a place to read. Running down the street she stopped to look at the group still being children of course. She was going to leave the city tonight. There was something strange about her home town and she was not going to be around to witness the weird events. "Great." She said to herself as she pushed open the door to her house and walked to the fridge. Opening the door she had put ice in to keep her cold goods from going bad. Taking out some milk and eggs she grabbed the bread from the counter. Turning on the propane tank under her stove she struck a match lighting the gas to head up a pan on her stove. Waiting for the stove to heat up she thumbed throw the book with the blood writing on it. "They are coming." She read as she opened further into the book. "It is the en" Was on the back of the book as the "n" was smeared into a full hand print of another person. The book was about 468 pages and only three pages had blood writing on them. Skimming through the other pages of the book reading the material in the book it was astonishing what she read. Her eyes got large as she read about how a demon could take over a persons life even take over what happens to them. Harming them, hurting them, or even killing. Caught into the book she heard a pop from her pan she looked up to see that the pan was hot. Putting the book aside she got up to crack some eggs into the skillet. Taking in a deep breath she watched as the eggs bubbled and popped. "What am I doing?" She said to herself while she looked back at the book that now was on the first page. "It is us." Jumping a little bit she took in a deep breath. Maybe that is just the page it likes to flip to. She though as she turned back to her eggs. Flipping them she looked back at the book now it was on the second page "They are coming." Her eyes went wide as she rushed over to slam the book shut.

After eating her eggs and toast and drinking her milk she wiped off her dishes and set them in the sink. Looking down at the book nothing happened after she shut the book closed but the book did make her feel weird about everything now. Running her hands over the cover and binding she picked the book back up and ran out the door back to the library. Throwing the book back inside the partially opened door she shut the door hard and fast. Putting her back to the door she sunk into a cradling position thinking about the blood on the book. "Who was that?" She wondered as she watched the sun in the distance.

Alice quickly stood up, and gagged. She wasn't that fond of having her face covered in spider blood. Nervously, she was about to reply to both Zayne's and Epsil's question, after failing to neutralize the horrid smell of demon blood from her clothes before she was interrupted by a girl holding a small dagger, shyly saying, "Sorry... I though you were demons." She scratched her head. "It's been a while since I saw humans..." Alice nodded, beckoning with a bloody fist. "It's fine, it's fine. We're not going to hurt you." Alice smiled.

"Now, the answer to both of your questions," Alice said to Epsil and Zayne, "Is a yes." Her red hair was disheveled and her eyes had a mischievous glow in them. She turned to the group and announced, "I'm pretty sure I think I know where the heck these things are coming from." Alice picked up her spear and gripped it tight, which wasn't easy to do since it was in a pool of scarlet liquid.

"Now who wants to know?"

Of all the things that happened in the short amount of time the group was gathered, the only thing that seemed to elicit more than a grin out of Epsil was the timid voice of the girl exiting the building. Once Epsil's eyes fell upon the newcomer, his expression changed to one of curiosity. His arms fell to his side, hanging limply. He completely ignored Devynne. He only vaguely acknowledge Zayne and Alice. Something about the girl absolutely fascinated Epsil, but he wasn't quite sure what it was.

Maybe it was that she looked shy, sounding slightly scared of the group. Everyone else Epsil had ever met was aggressive, like a snarling wolf. Always aggressive and on edge. But this girl was...different. Epsil took a few steps towards the girl, raising his hands to show he meant no harm. When he spoke, his voice sounded completely different. Nervousness? No, Epsil had never been nervous in his life. He never had reason to be. Fear, yes. But nerves? No. "Hello. I'm Epsil. Are you coming with us?" he asked. "Oh, uh...M-may I ask your name?" he stuttered. What the hell's gotten into you, kiddo? he asked himself mentally. This was totally uncharacteristic...

A wave of relief washed across her as she was reassured she was safe, making her sigh softly with relief. She smiled back at the girl who'd talked to her, totally mesmerised by her red hair.
It's much nicer then my boring black hair... She thought to herself before she was approached by someone, tearing her mind back to reality to face him.

She took a slight step back before he raised his hands as to signal he was no threat. Staring up at him wide eyed, unsure of his intentions.
He's quite tall... Was her first impression, although most people stood over her as she was only small, standing around 5'1.

She hadn't exactly had much human company in the last few months so it was awkward for her to be around anyone who didn't want to tear her open.

"Hello. I'm Epsil. Are you coming with us?" His words were kind, making her smile as she nodded a reply before he began stuttering. 'I'm Sable. It's a pleasure Epsil.' Her voice portrayed her nervousness though she smiled regardless.

Carlos shot Alice a thumbs up. "I do! I do! Agitated or not, I will teach those pesky demons to stay off of my damn neighborhood." Then he cautiously turned to answer Epsil, "All I have in my place is canned food, fire and a functioning bathroom." It seemed fishy that the guy he was clashing with earlier is starting to act like a decent teenager. Probably one of those weird bipolar crazies his mom told him about. Doesn't make him any less insane though. "We can all shower together to save time..." He glanced up.

The colors of the sky, Carlos noticed, told him it was near sunset. Usually, when night drew near, he would dash back to his lair leaving no scent or trail for demons to follow. It meant no more fun, no more demon-ass-kicking because it was too dangerous. But now, there were people who could help him. Now, he was less afraid.

For a second there, glancing at his companions who shared the love of killing creatures of hell, he lost his distrust. And boy, was his blood pumping fast. "We got girls, beer, cigs and demons to rip apart. Lemme get some chips back home and we can all have ourselves a party!" He laughed at his own excitement but was interrupted by the newcomer whom Epsil was treating... gently. Nice, another girl! Could this be the best day ever? "Of course she's coming with us, Epsil!" Once again putting his arms over a girl's shoulders where it doesn't belong. "By the way, I'm Carlos," using the slick voice he had used earlier. "And we're all going to kick demon butts tonight, right guys?" He winked at the others.​

Just this morning Zayne had been craving some human contact. Now he wasn't so sure. It was great that they were all tough, safety in numbers and all that but it was looking like it was going to be a bit hectic for a while. Sighing and brushing off his clothes as he stood up he looked at the ragtag group now assembled. Epsil crazy-eyed and weird though he seemed like he might be a good leader, Carlos a bit immature but tough and willing to fight, Devynne who was feisty and a capable ranged fighter, Alice spontaneous and kind of a show off but she had some damn good instincts and power, and now this Sable who he didn't really know about, along with himself great in a fight up close even though he tried to stay away from most combat. It was either going to be a great combination or a disastrous one.

"Well it's about time we get going then" brushing his hand through his hair as he spoke Zayne looked upwards "Looks like it's getting close to sundown and I for one would rather be inside"

Sable was totally unaware of the others as they talked. Her attention was completely fixed on Epsil, examining him, until a boy who introduced himself as 'Carlos' threw his arm around her.

Tearing her gaze away, she wriggled out from under him and took a step back. She enjoyed her personal space and didn't enjoy people crossing those boundaries, especially if she didn't know them. She didn't want to be rude however and she smiled at him, returning his greeting.

Peeking her head around the two boys she spotted Alice. 'Uhh... You wouldn't happen to have any spare clothes would you?' She was kind of embarrassed, her face turning a light shade of red. 'I kind of... Lost mine.' The white dress she wore was not actually a dress but, on closer inspection, was a white sheet she'd badly sewn together with some supplies she's found.

Taking in a deep breath she saw as the sun started to go down. Getting back up onto her two feet she slowly made her way back to her place. Stepping up the stares she looked back up at the setting sun. It had been a while since she had seen the sun set but tonight she knew it was to dangerous to see. Opening the door she looked at the group and sighed. "Hey guys." She yelled at them. "Come on I will make us dinner." She smiled waiting for them to make their move. Holding the door still she couldn't help but to keep her eyes on the orange colored tint in the sky above them. Smiling she looked back at the team and vanished into her home. Making her way up stairs she was going to leave her front door open until the sun vanished behind the hills for them to join her for food. Opening her fridge she pulled out a roast staring at the shelves she gave a sigh. "After tonight I am going to need to go shopping again." She said taking some butter and rosemary out from the bottom shelf. Looking out her kitchen widow she carefully watched the sun setting in the distance. Giving a sigh she opened the roast letting the blood drain from the packaging she placed it into a pan. Pilling back the opening to the rosemary she crumbled it into her hands and rubbed it onto the roast with the butter. Lighting up her oven again with a match she looked back outside pulling the black blanket down over the window. Going to the door she looked back toward the group who were still deciding what to do. "You guys coming?" She asked holding the door open for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.