New Wings: Nightwing & Raven (MST3K 4ever & Ravenbelle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Fieldbox=Grayson]

dick-grayson-long-hair.jpg

Had it not been for two factors Dick would've continued on with his investigation. One Raven cut off the TV, and second the touch from Raven snapped Dick back to reality. The reality at the moment was Dick had been through a lot since he was back in Gotham. Dick looked at Raven and touched her cheek in turn. He removed his hand, took hers, and led her down the hall to the master bedroom. He said, "It's yours for the night Raven. I'll take the guest room down the hall. Besides, sleeping in there would…" Dick shook his head and said, "Would confirm that this is all mine now, and that in turn would affirm that Bruce really is gone. I don't know if I'm ready to accept that, but I do know I'm done for the night." Dick just stared at Raven in the moonlight for a moment, and then he gently kissed her. He felt at peace and like he was putting a huge weight down as he kissed her. Dick broke the kiss off and touched her cheek. Dick wanted to do more at that moment, but he could feel that the timing was not quite there at the moment as he walked down to the guest room.

Surprisingly Dick fell asleep rather quickly. Sadly, though his sleep was far from restful as nightmarish images began to fill his dreams. Images of Gotham in flames, Barbara and Tim being ripped apart, the aliens destroying the people of Gotham, and finally there was a blinding flash. When Dick could see again all he saw was Batman shaking his head and he said, "You failed." Dick replied, "I'm not you." Batman again said, "Failure!" Dick shouted, "NO!" Suddenly he bolted upright in a pool of sweat and looked over at the clock. It was just after 1am and Dick sat on the edge of the bed as he wiped the sweat off of his brow. He walked into the living room, touched two bricks on the fireplace hearth, the fireplace slid away quietly revealing a pathway to the roof, and Dick stepped into the entrance.

In a matter of seconds Dick was on the roof of Wayne Enterprises. He sat on the edge of the building and looked out at the city. He heard several sirens in the distance and Dick realized those sirens would multiply in the days ahead now that Gotham had said goodbye to Batman, Batgirl, and Robin. Dick could tell Raven was there with him and without looking back he pointed to a building and said, "That building looks like an old burnt out shell, but in it's basement is one of the satellite Batcaves. It's where Batman taught me how to scale a wall, dive off a roof and throw a Batline in one motion, and the dumpster is actually a hidden parking spot for the Batmobile." Dick crossed over to Raven and said, "If the roles were reversed they wouldn't rest until they had justice for me. Bruce would bankrupt Wayne Enterprises if he had to without hesitation." Dick paused for a moment realizing where this was heading. He looked up at the stars and then to the city and asked, "Do you think I should be locked up at Arkham for even thinking about it?" Dick turned to Raven and said, "I think we both knew that at some point I would be doing this, but Raven really what other choice do I have?" Dick shook his head and said, "I do nothing and the city rips itself apart then they died in vain. I leave and live off the Wayne Fortune then I have just spit on their graves." Dick took her hands in his and said, "I need you to help me. I need you first and foremost to help train me, and because…" Dick leaned his forehead against hers and said, "I've missed you Raven. Please help me I can't do this alone. I need you physically in my life."
[/Fieldbox]

• Love
Reactions: Ravenbelle
Raven breathed a silent sigh of relief once she felt him resign himself and let go of the mystery in front of him. He then led her to the master bedroom to her confusion until he explained. She nodded empathically and stepped inside, but turned toward him at the doorframe to watch him head to his room for the night. But he didn't go immediately. He just stared at her and as she returned his gaze, a sudden flare of affection burned in him before his lips were on hers and the surprise and emotion of it all broke something in the bedroom behind Raven. Neither of them registered it though because her eyes had fluttered closed and for the briefest of moments, she kissed him back. That is, before the shock set in. Her eyes grew wide and worried as his hand cupped her cheek. And then he was off down the hall and she was left standing there with trembling lips and a frazzled mind.
Raven blinked, then slowly turned to head into the Master Bedroom at which point she was bombarded with a flash of deja vu because the mattress was circular instead of square, just like her old room in the Titan Tower years ago. Back then, she had wished all the time that Robin would kiss her. Now she was conflicted and she had no idea how she would fix the lamp that lay shattered on the nightstand thanks to her sudden loss of control. So she decided to meditate. She knew tonight would be rough on them both, and quite frankly, she didn't want to think about the implications behind that kiss.

She had pretty much always thought she would never get a chance of romantic love and after the Titans broke up, she'd slowly come to the conclusion that she didn't need it. Raven was alone and for a long time, she didn't mind it. She visited friends every now and again, but other than that, she was usually by herself. Sometimes, she'd bump into a hero she'd assist on large threats and a couple times, there was one that showed an interest in her and her history. And while she'd enjoyed their company while it lasted, they just didn't understand her or her interests, so she'd be gone in a matter of weeks. The only one she'd truly felt connected to was...Richard Grayson. And then he left. Could it be that she'd never stopped loving him? Or was it that she never had and she'd confused the mental bond she'd forged between them with understanding and subsequent affection? Did it matter? She'd felt something and it was good and real and warm. But it had been years since she felt that...until now. And honestly, she couldn't be sure he felt the same. After all, she has been beside him basically since he found out about the deaths of those he considered family. So it was absolutely plausible that he could confuse his emotions of gratitude and renewed affection for a long-lost friend with romantic love. And once those wore off, they'd be left with broken hearts.

Raven sighed and let herself float back down to the bed, then change into her PJs. She needed sleep, even if it'd be riddled with images she didn't want to see. So she curled up under the covers of the huge bed and closed her moonlit eyes. She looked incredibly small in such a large mattress surrounded by too many pillows..and it wasn't long before she felt small too, watching Richard's dreams through their bond, especially as they melded and affected her own.
As Gotham was engulfed in flames in his mind's eye, Jump City was rained on by fireballs while its citizens were attacked and turned to stone. The world burned because she turned into the portal for Trigon. Her friends--the ones who believed in her when she didn't--were tortured one by one, taken down by fiery henchmen that petrified their agonized expressions before her violet eyes. And it was all her fault.

Batman told her so...No, he told Richard..that he'd failed...and he was believing it.
"No!" Raven cried and abruptly sat up, waking with shallow breaths and fearful eyes. She was aware that he had woken as well. She could feel his guilt and fear, the weight of the world on his shoulders. And she knew exactly what that felt like, both because she could feel it in him and because she had felt the same way before. Raven knows guilt. For sixteen years she'd known it, saving all the lives she could, fighting crimes with the best friends she knew she was destined to destroy one day...until Robin saved her. She couldn't stand letting him feel like that, ever. As if it was a fact that if he wasn't saving lives, he was destroying them. Though she knew she should be respecting his privacy and mourning process, she decided to teleport to the roof, leaving the invitation open to talk if he wanted to. But when she materialized above the tower, he was already sitting down on the edge of it with his back to her, shoulders tense.

Raven winced at the hollow, lonesome tone in his voice as he pointed out one of the buldings where he'd been trained by the Dark Knight himself. She stepped closer to her former leader to get a better look, imagining a younger boy in traffic light colors calling himself The Boy Wonder and leaping fearlessly off the walls with all sorts of gadgets on his belt a kid probably shouldn't have access to. She wished she could have met him back then, before all the pride and anger got in the way of him and his adoptive father. When he was carefree and happy. Because she loves his smile and she'd give anything to see it again...

But he stood and turned to face her standing beside him and his emotions clenched a fist around her heart, turned her stomach to a knot. There was no way he could be thinking straight..and she knew what he was thinking when he spoke of Bruce shutting down Wayne Enterprises for him. At least he was definitely aware that Bruce cared about him so he knows that he died without enmity towards adoptive son, but Dick was getting at revenge: the kind of thing that villains work their whole lives to satisfy. The kind of thing that gets people locked up in Arkham. Raven took a deep breath with a concerned divot between her eyebrows. While he watched the stars she whispered up at him, "Thinking isn't a crime, Richard. but vengeance can be, especially when confused with justice."
He would never belong in Arkham. He was a hero. Always would be. Though he'd ventured close to the gray area dividing good and evil, he would never get far enough to abandon those who cared about him just to dig two graves. And regardless of his moral compass (which she had absolute faith in even if he didn't), she'd never let him go that far.​
"I think we both knew that at some point I would be doing this, but Raven really what other choice do I have?" Dick shook his head and said, "I do nothing and the city rips itself apart then they died in vain. I leave and live off the Wayne Fortune then I have just spit on their graves." Dick took her hands in his and said, "I need you to help me. I need you first and foremost to help train me, and because…" Dick leaned his forehead against hers and said, "I've missed you Raven. Please help me I can't do this alone. I need you physically in my life."
Raven's eyes grew misty staring into Dick's endless blues. She squeezed his hands in hers because she wanted so badly just to let him do whatever made him feel better; whatever he wanted she wanted to give him. But it wasn't that easy. She was afraid for him, his life, of his desperation's influence, and his heart. Raven is the one he counts on to make sure he stays level-headed so he stays on track. She does what's best for him. So she bit her lip and closed her eyes for a moment. She was sincere when she spoke, eyes locked to his and told him "I've missed you too and I promise I won't leave you alone." but she couldn't put this lightly and she wouldn't let her emotions get in the way of honesty. So she took a step back and pulled her hands away, letting the wind atop the tower pass between them with a cold tinge of reality.
"But while I'm here, you have to listen, and listen well, Richard. You're being far too impulsive and hasty about this. You can't make this decision on a whim at 1 AM and I'm not going to let you risk your life for this city in your current state of mind. You need a break.
I understand that you're concerned about the threat of the League, but there are heroes who are willing to help, most of whom expressed as much at the Watchtower the other night. Gotham's safety is not your responsibility to bear, Dick. Especially not now. I've told you once and I'll remind you every day if I have to, but the wishes of the dead include your well-being. You feel like you don't have a choice, but there is always a choice. Always. I learned that from you. So if you get yourself wrapped up in a dangerous mission to avenge Bruce, Barbara and Tim, without even giving yourself time to think it through, you'll get yourself killed in the process. That would be spitting on their graves."
The stern, guarded expression on her face melted away after a moment of silence and she sighed, eyes down and shoulders sagging. She just wanted him safe, but he's built his life laughing in the face of death to save those who couldn't save themselves. She wasn't going to be able to talk him out of it forever, but if she could delay it, she had to. There was no way he could take Batman's place when he couldn't even accept that he was truly gone yet. Raven wouldn't let him leave this world with him. She couldn't. Because she needed him too. So much more than she'd ever believed in those years spent too many miles away from the soul she'd bound herself to without hesitation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MST3K 4ever
[Fieldbox=Grayson]

dick-grayson-long-hair.jpg

Dick took a step away from Raven with his head bowed. How many times did he or Alfred tell Bruce that he was being overly emotional inspite of his stone cold exterior? If he had a dime for every time they did that Dick could build another Wayne Tower. Hearing said to him didn't make it any easier, and he wanted to lash out at Raven. Tell her that she didn't understand what he was going through, but if anyone in the known universe knew what he was going through at this moment it was Raven. Her sense of empathy and understanding was unlike anything else Dick had ever encountered in anyone else. He merely looked up at her and said, "You're right. At this moment, I'm ready to tear this city apart brick by brick to get answers, vengeance, and to fix all off this." Dick began to shake his head ever so slowly and said, "But I can't fix this one Raven. I will never be able to fix this. I just can't do it. Right now, I would just be a guy in a costume who could probably barely hold off a street urchin."

In the distance he could hear gunfire, and immediately his adrenaline kicked up. Dick turned towards it and without even thinking grabbed at his waist expecting to feel a batline, but then he looked down and just shook his head. He said, "Some habits die harder than others." Dick walked over to Raven and just put his head on her shoulders. Very quietly Dick began to weep as he said, "I miss them Raven. I truly miss them. I can't believe that they're gone." With that Dick embraced Raven and said, "It wasn't supposed to be this way. Bruce should've been able to pass the mantle onto Tim, Barbara was considering a Senatorial run, and Tim should be working at Wayne Enterprises in R & D drafting secret projects for the cave." Though he didn't make a sound Dick's shoulders were shaking as though someone stood behind him and was shaking him. Dick was finally accepting the emotional pain that he would have to deal with for the rest of his life. His parents and now the Bat-Family Dick was in pain and he didn't care who knew it.

After a couple of moments Dick finally pulled himself together and leaned his head against Raven's. He said, "I'm so confused and so consumed with so many emotions right now. I can't even make sense of it. I think for the first time in my life I truly understand Bruce. He went through all this at the age of 10 with no one but Alfred to guide him. He was able to guide me, but so many times I didn't fully accept his guidance." Dick shook his head slowly and said, "There is so much I want to say to him, but now I can't." Dick felt the wind begin to blow a little harder between them and for some reason he smiled. Not a confused or sarcastic smile, but a smile of gratitude. He said, "Maybe this is the last lessons that Bruce is teaching me right now." He nodded and said, "Not to be afraid to take the council of others, and when you have a chance to say or act that you should take it, because you never know when another chance will come to you." The wind blew a little harder, and it was at that moment Dick realized that Bruce would always be a part of his life and Dick was okay with that.

Dick looked up to the stars for a moment and said, "You know in all the years that Bruce and I went out in the dead of night. I never really paid attention to the stars around me. They really are very beautiful." Dick looked back to Raven for a moment and said, "Eventually I will be putting back on the suit again, but that being said." Dick walked to the edge of the building and said, "For all his anger and hostility Bruce loved this city. Inspite of all its crime and corruption he loved this city first and foremost." Dick walked back to Raven and said, "First thing I need to do is understand how this city works again, and find that thing beyond vengeance that will drive me." He shrugged his shoulders and said, "That could take weeks or months, but I need to learn about this city and my place in it all over again. It's going to be a process and as much I want to zip-line through the city right now I can't. I'm not ready for that." Dick walked over to Raven and took her hands in his. He said, "I can't do that alone either. I'm going to be looking at things through the eyes of someone dealing with grief which means there will be peaks and valleys for a long time. I need you Raven not just to help me through this process, but also…" Dick leaned in and kissed her again. There wasn't the back of his mind hesitancy as earlier, but this time he felt like it was something he wanted to do. As he kissed her he pulled her closer to him and he felt his heart beating almost in time with hers.

When he finally broke the kiss he said, "I missed you. You're the only person I was in contact with that had any connection with my previous life, and I don't think that was an accident." Dick took another look around and said, "Okay enough of the realizations and lessons learned for the night. If I keep this up I won't have anything else to learn." He gave her a smile that told Raven Dick was kidding he knew that this was barely a first step in reclaiming his life, but for now at least it wasn't a step back. Dick felt a measure of hope now though once he knew that Raven would be with him. Dick had a bit of mischief on his face as he looked around for a moment, and then without warning he scooped Raven up in his arms. He said, "I think we need to get some rest."

Dick carried her over to the opening and he stepped into the opening. The impact was a little hard on his knees, but Dick wasn't too concerned. He carried Raven back to the Master Bedroom and laid her on the bed. He laid next to her and said, "I'm not really up for being alone right now. I'm Dick Grayson not Bruce Wayne." Dick smiled as he pulled Raven to him and said, "This is gonna be a long road ahead, but I'm not going anywhere."
[/Fieldbox]

• Bucket of Rainbows
Raven grit her teeth and steeled herself for Dick's imminent retaliation since she felt his recoil and urge to defend himself. But as soon as she thought to tell him she wasn't trying to pick a fight, she felt him let it go. Visibly, his shoulders sagged while he turned to look at her before surpassing her expectations in telling her she was right. However, he still felt defeated in more ways than one. She moved to put her hand on his shoulder but the sound of gunfire in the distance struck a chord in both heroes, causing her to levitate toward the sound for a moment before pausing in midair as Dick's thoughts caught up with his actions.​
"Some habits die harder than others."
"No kidding.." she whispered, eyes down until she felt Richard's arms around her once more, along with his suddenly overwhelming grief. Since she had yet to return to the ground, she was still levitating, conveniently allowing her the extra height she needed for him to comfortably lay his head on her shoulder. And cry. The petite woman instantly wound her arms over his shoulders, placing her cheek against his hair while her right hand stroked through it at the base of his neck comfortingly. Violet eyes closed, listening to his heartbroken words and wishing she could take it all away instead of simply experience it with him.
Regardless, it wasn't long before he let it fade away a bit and she floated slightly closer to the ground to let him lean his forehead against hers, listening to every word. She smiled when he smiled. She was glad he was okay to learn, or rather, relearn such a thing in the wake of his family's deaths. It was a lesson heroes have to remind themselves of as often as possible. She saw far too many weight themselves down with regret forgetting their own and other's mortality. She just hoped this time it would stick for awhile.

A moment of silence passed as Dick stared up at the stars until he spoke up again, softer now.​
"You know in all the years that Bruce and I went out in the dead of night. I never really paid attention to the stars around me.--
"--A foolish mistake." she interjected just for the subsequent smile as he continued​
"They really are very beautiful."
When their eyes met again, smiles faded and Raven's feet finally touched the roof again as Dick headed back to the edge of it. She followed him halfway before he returned to her side and she nodded, agreeing with his method for now, especially when he took her hands and included her. She would reassure him endlessly if she had to. She wasn't going anywhere, even if there were unexpected surprises popping up.​
I need you Raven not just to help me through this process, but also…" Dick leaned in and kissed her again.
Raven gasped into the kiss but ultimately, the hesitation only lasted for an instant. He pulled her flush against his body and she couldn't remember why she didn't think this was a good idea. In fact, she could barely remember her own name wrapped up in his emotions and hers, consumed by an amorous fire she didn't dare try to tame (even when it caused her powers to react again and send a few pebbles hurtling over the edge of the building). He broke the kiss and left her breathless and wide-eyed so her heart only began to slow when Dick smiled (which might have caused a skip) and sped it up again when the mischief his eyes warned her of prompted a literal sweeping off her feet. She rolled her eyes.​
"I think we need to get some rest."
"True, but this is not necessa--oh!" she exclaimed as Dick stepped into thin air, landing in an entrance to the roof from the chimney she was previously unaware of before toting her all the way to the Master Bedroom he had been hesitant about even stepping into only hours before. Her eyes avoided the broken lamp as he laid her gingerly on the bed..then joined her. Raven's eyebrows furrowed, but she didn't actually protest; she simply couldn't stand to take that smile away again. And if she was being honest with herself, she enjoyed being this close to him far more than she should.​
"This is gonna be a long road ahead, but I'm not going anywhere."
And with that, a slow smile curved up the edges of her lips and she decided tonight was not the night to confront romantic drama. It was much more pleasing to both parties that she proceeded with what she did. Pulled close as she was, she gave an uncharacteristic nuzzle until her ear laid over his heart and whispered,
"..and neither am I."

[Fieldbox= Grayson]

Two Weeks Later.

Dick was slowly beginning to make some strides forward in his post-Bruce Wayne life. He knew, much like when he dropped that domino mask in the Batcave five years ago, that this was going to be an on-going process and that it wasn't going to happen overnight. Luckily he had Raven with him to help him cope with the changes around him, and to see things that weren't readily apparent to him. Dick was worried that she was starting to get bored playing nurse-maid to him. Alfred, he was carrying with a stiff upper lip and all that but Dick could tell that he wasn't himself anymore.

Dick stared out on the estate grounds as the sun was slowly beginning to set from the living room when Alfred entered the room.

He asked in a rather stern voice, "Is it true Richard?"

Dick didn't turn around as he asked, "Is what true Alfred?"

Alfred picked up the TV remote and cut on the TV. The image of Jess Wong of "Gotham City Nightly" filled the screen as he said, "…as of right now no comment from the current CEO of Wayne Enterprises Richard Grayson. All calls to Wayne Manor have gone to voicemail to the point that the mailbox is jammed up. As to what a buyout will mean to thousands of Gothamites who are employed by the multi-billion-dollar company and the impact on Gotham remains to be seen…"

Dick stood there watching the report and shook his head and said, "I'll bet my trust fund you're behind the leak Ollie. You said you would keep it quiet. You and your damn ego. Turn it off."

Alfred asked turning the TV off, "So it's true?"

Dick turned to Alfred and said, "There have been some preliminary discussions. I was going to tell you when things moved beyond the discussion stages."

Alfred nodded and asked, "Do you think this is the right thing to do?"

Dick sighed and said, "Look Oliver has promised that Wayne Enterprises will remain in Gotham, and no one loses their job. The only thing that changes is the name on the door." Dick finally looked at Alfred and said, "Face it Alfred, I don't know much about running a company like this. Lucius is getting up there in years and to expect him to do it all is too much to ask. Bruce came across as a flighty airheaded playboy, but you and I know the truth. Bruce was a shark in the board room. He knew more than a board room full of PHDs." Dick took a step forward and said, "That's not me Alfred."

Alfred said, "Points to you on all that sir, but if you think just changing the name on the door is all that's needed to escape the legacy that Master Bruce built for himself, you, and this city, if so then pardon my opinion sir..." Alfred almost growled as he said, "but you're a fool!"

Dick went from laid back to livid as he said, "And you're a butler! How dare you speak to me like I'm a 9-year-old! I went through Hell being here more times than not! Whether it was so ditzy airhead pinching my cheeks or being Batman's sidekick it was torture sometimes old man! You think it's so damn easy being the heir to the Wayne Empire? Or being the one who feels guilt and pain when he sees more and more stories about crime being on the rise and not feeling like I can do a damn thing about it? HOW DARE YOU!"

Alfred looked visibly shaken as he said, "You're right I have no idea what it's like, but I do know what it's like to bury two young men who were like my sons, and a young girl I thought of as family."

Dick knew he had crossed a line and he started to say something but Alfred said, "As your butler I will now go to the store and make sure you're stocked up for the month. When I return I will officially tender my resignation."

With that Alfred was gone. Dick stood with his head bowed. He could feel Raven's presence in the room as he said, "I screwed that one up royally. I'll talk to him when he gets home."

Dick went upstairs and changed into a pair of sweats. He entered the Batcave and began working out on the Heavy Bag hard. It was one of the habits he picked up early on and anytime he was angry Dick found the heavy bag a great therapist when Alfred didn't take his side against Bruce. The heavy bag never questioned or debated him it just took it.

Then an alarm was blaring throughout the cave. Dick stopped and dashed over to the computer. The image of a corner market shooting being covered by GNN filled the screen. Then there was an image that shook Dick to his core. Alfred's body being loaded into an ambulance with several bullet holes in him.

Dick called out, "RAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!"

Once she was there he said with great pain and desperation in his voice, "Can you teleport us to Gotham General? Please Raven!"
[/Fieldbox]

She had meant to press the backspace button, she really had, but her ring finger hovered over the wrong key and pressed Enter. And the articles flooded her computer screen. She had ended up bringing quite a few things from her storage room into the Wayne Manor since arriving and her personal PC, updated perfectly by a certainly tech-savvy former teammate a couple years back, was something she knew she could keep in this house without worrying about thieves of information. Raven sighed and rubbed her temples, knowing she shouldn't be looking through this. Not while she was here..or anywhere really. It would just make things harder. The laptop's face glowed with images of grotesque crimes against humanity and destructive acts among nations all around the world. The sort of things she shouldn't mess with..She has told herself time and time again (and been told as well) that heroes with supernatural powers have to stick to supernatural threats. "Let humans handle humans" as a certain Wondrous woman with a whip advised her, but time and time again, her mind somehow convinces her she can help 'just this once' without even being spotted. She can't help herself sometimes. Knowing that there are people suffering everywhere all the time just--gets to her..too often and this break she's been on while staying close to Richard all the time had been..strange to say the least. Her wandering soul keeps wanting to flit off to dangerous countries at any free period of time and she knows now that it's just habit and her tendency to overthink everything, but she hasn't left yet. And she's promised that she won't. Dick could need her at any time; he wasn't kidding about roller coaster mood swings with this and she couldn't complain. He never asked for this and the fact that he even opened up enough to let her help must have been hard enough. But
~~..Severely Burned--Shrapnel Civilian town~~
She could only read bit and pieces of the other languages, most of them from some part of Asia but knowing she could do something without being able to just made her so angry and the rage flared with a wave of pain and guilt that knotted her stomach and tightened her chest so she couldn't-- Raven blinked. No..those weren't her emotions..they were Dick's. Instantly, she stood and closed her laptop on her way up, following his aura, his damaged spirit, like a hound would its assigned scent.
Dammit he must have seen another news report over--The thought was interrupted when she heard yelling over her own footsteps in the hall. She realized it wasn't just Dick's emotions overwhelming her, it was Alfred's too. So she followed the voices to the living room she had arrived in the very first night she was called here nearly two weeks ago.. just in time to watch Alfred close the front door behind him in a cloud of aching fury.
And her best friend with his back to her feeling guilty of course, head bowed and already beating himself up. Raven closed her eyes and sighed, but before she could ask what could have happened to make even Alfred lose his composure, he said​
"I screwed that one up royally. I'll talk to him when he gets home."
and she closed her mouth, unsure of what to say or do to console him until he ended up silently walking upstairs without her. The empath groaned and pressed the heels of her palms against her forehead, helpless and stuck with the emotional debris so to speak. So she huffed and teleported to the roof still in her comfy jeans, boots and long-sleeved top, instantly levitating to meditate once there. She definitely needed to clear her mind, control her impulses and clean up her incessant, overthinking emotions.
She didn't get much time to do so before hearing an emergency call, more in her mind than aloud, but the time she did get was certainly sufficient. At least it had to be; she didn't hesitate in teleporting straight to Dick's side, standing by a computer shirtless and panicked in the gym. She nodded immediately without even knowing what was going on, but being the sort of person he needed for foresight, she teleported to Dick's room first and snatched the first t-shirt she saw from his dresser before returning to him in a dark flash and holding his hand in her free one. He didn't even get the chance to question her about the wordless disappearance before they were both standing in the corner of the lobby in Gotham General Hospital. Raven's fist was pressed to Dick's chest, shirt in hand. So while he pulled it over his head she took her fleeting chance to ask,
"What happened?"

Last edited:
  • Love
[Fieldbox=Grayson]

Dick was so emotionally wrapped up in what happened to Alfred that teleporting didn't even phase him, and it usually left him with a semi-upset stomach. He didn't even realize he was shirtless until he saw Raven holding a red t-shirt for him. Quickly Dick slipped it on and once it was on he began to look for the ambulance. Finally, his training took over and he was able to focus, Dick made a note to himself to thank Bruce for that later tonight when they would undoubtedly have a chat at his grave. Dick took a deep breath and looked at Raven. He said putting his hands on her shoulders, "Raven, Alfred has been shot. He was at the corner market and there was a robbery and he was shot. I saw it on the screen in the cave."

Once he got the words out the weight of them felt like a ton. He then saw the ambulance pulling up and within seconds the stretcher was out and there was paramedic straddling Alfred pounding on his chest yelling, "He's tachy! Need a room!" Dick grabbed Raven's hand as he followed the stretcher. Just they got to a room a nurse stepped in-between them and the stretcher and said, "Sorry you've gotta wait outside!" Dick protested, "Look nurse my guardian has two wings of this place named after his parents, and that guy in there is my family!" The nurse studied Dick for a second and said, "Grayson, you're Dick Grayson." Dick nodded and the nurse said, "Stand off to the side" She opened the curtain and Dick took Raven with him.

As Dick watched the E-R team work furiously to save Alfred he began to remember all the times Alfred worked on them like this. How many wounds he closed, bones he casted, and icepacks he put on them. They were too many to count, and at this moment Dick would've made a deal declaring The Joker sane if it would've saved Alfred. The doctor stopped everything and said, "We got a pulse and respirations. Shallow and weak but they're there." Dick without even hesitating stepped in basically bullying his way over to Alfred's side. He took Alfred's hand who slowly turned to Dick with his eyes barely open.
Alfred gave a small smile and Dick with tears in his eyes said, "Hey you. Bruce and I are the ones who usually end up in states like this not you."

Alfred replied in a voice barely above a whisper, "Rich…Richard….my dear boy…"

Dick shook his head and said with tears streaming like rivers, "Oh God, Alfred I am so sorry. I am so sorry. Please forgive me. I was such a fool! I am so sorry!"

Alfred replied, "Shhhhh…..calm your….self my…boy. I am…sorry as well…I failed to recognize…you…you…are struggling with…great burdens…"

Dick said, "We'll figure that out when you come home. You're coming home old man. You got that! I'm not burying you too. I'm just learning to live without Bruce, Barbara, and Tim. Not you too. You're coming home."

Alfred glanced over to Raven with a small smile and back to Dick. He said, "Yes...I'm going...home......"

He smiled at Dick who returned the smile, but the silence was broken as several alarms blared. Dick closed his eyes and shook his head. The doctors and nurses began to rush around Dick who just bowed his head and took a two steps back. He looked at Raven and just embraced her. The sounds of the frantic E-R staff didn't even register with him as he held her. Dick knew that Alfred was gone, but he also knew he was going to be with his family and see Bruce and everyone else once again so he took some solace in that.

Dick walked over to the doctors and put his hand on his shoulder. Dick just shook his head and the doctor just looked at him and without breaking his look he said, "Call it." The nurse replied, "8:15."

Dick called for the funeral home to claim Alfred's body from the hospital. Dick stood out front with Raven and he looked at her. In his Nightwing voice he said, "It's gonna be long hard road, but I've got to get back into the war. It's time."
[/fieldbox]

Dick took a deep breath and looked at Raven. He said putting his hands on her shoulders, "Raven, Alfred has been shot. He was at the corner market and there was a robbery and he was shot. I saw it on the screen in the cave."
Though she dreaded the news that could have prompted such an immediate rush to the hospital, nothing could have prepared her for the distressing pierce the the chest she received at hearing Alfred was shot. Though she felt Richard's slight relief at having gotten it off his chest, it weighed on her too heavily too quickly, propelling her toward the ambulance almost faster than Dick. Alfred was rushed out on a stretcher, whisked past them into a room speedily made ready for him. She followed beside Dick instantly until blocked by a nurse's futile attempt to keep her best friend from the last shred of his family he had left. Raven was about ready to just phase them both right past her, but Richard handled it easily and wisely brought her inside with him.

Though it wasn't much easier being able to see how hard the staff had to work to get Alfred stable, at least they felt they were there for him. It felt like Raven's heart was breaking with every minute that passed by. She knew that the longer to took to get him conscious and breathing on his own, the less of a chance he'd have of surviving this. They'd already staunched the blood flow from the bullet's entry and exit wounds, so there wasn't much more she could really do to heal him. There wasn't anything to heal really...he just needed the strength to pull through. And she could feel Richard's very potent fear that Alfred may not be that strong anymore.
A fear that was unfortunately not ill-founded. Raven was trembling with the weight of what she felt was going to happen. She wanted to do anything, say anything that might save him, and in turn, save Richard. But she could tell as soon as she saw the old man's eyes..he had already given up. He was only just barely stable enough to stay conscious, much less communicate, but he still ignored the pain and bore it for the sake of the boy he considered a grandson.
The mounting sensations and grief swiftly overtook him and Raven felt the exact moment it all became too much for him. His tears spilled over and it felt like her ribcage was collapsing in on itself. She was holding onto his shoulder with a comforting hand, but her knees were shaking a little too much for it to be a simple gesture of sympathy. Raven didn't make a sound, unwilling to intrude any more than she already felt she had, but Alfred still met her eyes for an instant. It was imperceptible to Dick, but spoke volumes to the empath beside him. She could nearly hear the words, his message was so clear:
Take care of him

And then he was gone..home, according to Alfred, and though she was a bit too agnostic to believe in a single god, she sincerely hoped he would see the rest of the Bat Family in the afterlife somehow. But he left Richard behind him, just as aware as she was (psychic powers or not) that no matter how hard the hospital's doctors tried, he wasn't coming back. So they held each other as tightly as they could and though he couldn't see her face tucked against his shoulder, her tears melted into his shirt. She felt both their grief at once and she was so afraid for him and how he'd heal that she was nearly shaking again. She knew what he was thinking of doing the moment he composed himself, pulled into himself enough to call Alfred's time of death. And he proved her correct as they stood outside the hospital in the chilly night. Deep blue met dark amethyst and had he stayed silent she would have known what he was going to say. And this time, no matter how many times she could ask him if he was sure, if he'd really thought it through, there was no way she could change his mind.

• Love
[Fieldbox=Grayson]

Two Weeks Later
Dick used to lay into Bruce for being so driven and focused all the time. Now though, Dick understood his mentor like never before. The image of Alfred's life leaving him didn't haunt him like his own parents' death, but it was a driving force for what he was now doing. The minute it was announced Alfred died the first person to visit Dick was Superman. When he asked if there was anything he could do for them Dick told him of his decision to resume his duties as Nightwing, but he needed training desperately. So Superman enlisted Jon Stewart to get Dick back into not just great physical shape, but into the best shape of his life. The next person to visit was Oliver Queen who immediately tore up the tentative contract for the sale of Wayne Enterprises. Oliver knew selling out was the last thing on Dick's mind, and that this was now his home. Dick however, knew very little about running a multibillion dollar corporation. He was the primary shareholder in Haley's Circus but this was way out of his league, so during the days Jon along with Raven worked his body in the gym and the simulator. While at night Oliver would show up and give Dick a crash course in Business Administration. He even put some on a thumb drive for those days he knew he couldn't make it. This seem all a bit overwhelming at times, but Dick was absorbing it all like a sponge. The last time Oliver was there he told Raven when he didn't think Dick was around, "The guy can go toe to toe with a PHD."

Raven was his toe-hold into reality and in keep in touch with humanity. Yes she pushed him like Jon did, quizzed him constantly on what Oliver taught him, and created simulations that would've pressed Bruce to his limits. However, Dick felt a sense of home and belonging with Raven.Dick realized how far he had come in a mere two weeks. He felt more ready than ever before, but he promised Raven that she would have the final say as to when he would be ready to put on the mask again. Dick admitted his objectivity and drive weren't exactly to be trusted at this time because of what he had experienced. So he was counting on her to make sure he was ready.

He stood inside of the boxing ring that was in the gym at Wayne Manor as he threw a few punches in the air. Raven didn't mind training or working out with Dick, but she didn't want him down in the Batcave at all. To the point that she changed all the passwords, and reset the alarms. Dick figured that his being down in the cave might prove to be too much for him, and drive him head long into going out immediately and beating every crook senseless.

Dick looked at the clock and said, "Yo Raven! Let's do this. This was your idea. Besides I win we get to enjoy a night in the hot-tub. You win, we enjoy an evening of whatever you want to do."
[/Fieldbox]

1aa41b93e26b0162f2130aa977c85210.jpg
Raven_and_her_Jeans_return_by_teentitans.jpg

Raven sensed the man's impatience before she stepped out of the storage room connected to the corner of the Manor's gym. She was just about done adjusting the fingerless combat gloves around her small wrists when Dick called her out, already throwing punches eagerly. The dark-haired woman smirked and responded with a slight air of superiority. "Well then, Wonder Boy," she taunted, stepping into the boxing ring across from her pseudo-opponent, "don't go easy on me just because you know I have more creative ideas than lazing around in a hot tub for the evening."
She, did in fact, have better ideas, but she had neglected to share any of them with Richard just yet. Besides, she hadn't decided between a few choices on her mind. However, she was sure she couldn't trust herself with all the opportunities or implications that a visit to the hot tub could entail. Given how busy the past two weeks had been for the both of them, tonight would be a great way to let off some steam, but that also meant she hadn't sensed the chance to talk to Dick about much more than his studies with Oliver and, less frequently, his progress toward getting back in costume, including the mental stability that required. She wasn't sure when to draw the line for how close they should really get considering how quickly she had become this important in his life. She was aware of how he needed her to steady him sometimes and how much she needed him in turn, but she was also afraid...of how his affectionate side tended to appear more often around her than before and how dangerous that could get, especially for her.
For tonight she could ignore that though, and stop thinking. She favored this state of mind that let her actions come first and speak for themselves, allowing only for quick strategy and little else but the present. Raven could stay in the moment for once, to let Nightwing make the first move.​

• Love
[Fieldbox=Grayson]

Dick smirked as his mind began to wonder as to what else Raven could have in mind. A round of "Hide and Seek" with the entire Estate grounds as fair game or in the Batcave with the lights out? Though the last couple of weeks had been tough on the two of them they managed to hold things together very nicely all things considered. Dick could play things off with a smirk and a bit of flirting in the voice, but there was no denying that he was developing feelings for Raven. How she felt about him? Dick wasn't sure, but there was no denying that there was a chemistry developing between them. Chemistry was an interesting thing within the superhero community. Queen and Lance were the gold plate standard. Their back and forth was interesting to watch, but no matter what everyone knew they belonged together. Bruce and Diana had it but kept their feelings in check for years inspite of what everyone else could see. There were times that he just wanted to throttle Bruce and say, "Just get it over with already and tell her how you feel!" Dick and Babs had something special for a while, but there were times he felt like Bruce was jealous of him because he had no problem expressing his feelings towards her. Babs though at times played a little too coy, and towards the end Dick was starting to believe that Bruce had feelings for Babs and vice versa.

Putting his mouthpiece in Dick said, "Computer set timer for three minute rounds, keep track of punches landed and thrown, fifteen rounds, and in case of a knock down count starts at 7. Confirm authorization." Bruce used to tell him that if you can't get back to your feet within three seconds that was it you were done.

The computer replied, "Authorization passcode."

Dick said, "John and Mary."

The computer stated, "Authorization confirmed. Round 1 set to begin in 3,2,1." With that there was the sound of a bell ringing.

Dick began to move about the ring sizing up Raven. He said, "Okay young lady let's see what you got." Dick threw a couple of light jabs at Raven's head. They wouldn't do much but as Bruce used to tell him if you don't know what an opponent is capable of there's no harm in sizing them up first. Dick said, "Remember one thing I'm a little out of practice so…" Dick executed a frontal flip and cleared Raven. Landing behind her he said, "I may try to push a little too much. Keep me in check please."
[/Fieldbox]

• Love
Raven watched Dick's smirk disappear as he placed his mouthpiece behind his lips and set up the ring for the match. She was half-excited about using her powers and half-apprehensive. Feeling his anticipation even after he spoke the morbid password aloud spurred on the enchantress until her hands were nearly crackling with black sparks. When the bell rung and her larger opponent began to circle and engage, Raven smirked at his words and dodged his fists, ducking and shifting without the use of her powers yet. She knew he was just testing her for now but when he flipped she crouched and jumped back so she was facing him since he'd previously landed behind her.​
"I may try to push a little too much. Keep me in check please."
"Ha." she teased, throwing a few hits in herself towards his torso. Her fists were reinforced with small black forcefields to maximize the strength of the blow. "You say that" she jabbed, "as if"--punch-- "it entails"--punch-punch-- "some level of difficulty"she huffed, jumping up to backflip off of his chest with both feet, sending a black, oval disk construct towards his head in midair.​

Last edited:

Feeling the force of Raven's punches made Dick realize that she was using her enhanced abilities. "People with metahuman abilities are no different than the rest of us. When it comes down to it though it is the one who is prepared and can outthink their opponent that always wins," Bruce would tell his team constantly. He also taught them not to think of their utility belts as a "cure-all" either that crime fighting was more of a mental task than just smashing through windows and throwing batarangs at a bad guy.

Raven's movements were very graceful and had purpose in them. Her flip off of his chest was powerful enough to almost knock the wind out of him. Dick noticed the disk hovering above his head and said, "Nice touch, but one thing Bruce taught us is that if you can take away one's advantage that's one less thing to worry about." With that Dick took two steps back and without hesitation slid between Raven's legs, and came up behind her. Dick threw a combination in her back and said, "You can't hit what you can't see" Dick then managed to pin her arms behind her back and said pulling her close, "Not to mention I know a few things about your combat style."

Raven narrowed her dark eyes curiously at his statement, still hovering a bit and trying to guess at his next move. His steps back made her think he was prepping to tackle her out of the air or something of the sort, but instead, he slid between and beneath her legs. And in taking her by surprise, managed swift blows that kept her back turned and her feet back on the ground so he could pin her back to his body. She had been aware of how swift he could be, but thought that with her powers, it'd be easier to handle. Apparently she was wrong.

Despite her initial and admittedly sloppy struggles, he kept his uncomfortable hold on her wrists as he spoke, eliciting an irritated scoff before she used a commanding pointer finger to send a small, black orb flying around the left of his head, around the periphery of his vision. The distraction left her free to spread all her fingers regardless of his grip and encase his ankles and feet together before jerking them forwards so that she could twist free of his grip while his balance was off and levitate just out of the way while he fell onto his back and the charm released itself. "Seems I learned a few tricks while I was gone." she smirked, still close enough to rush over him in an attempt to keep him pinned to the floor with her body.​

There was no doubt that Raven had improved over the last time Dick and her sparred. He could also tell that she wasn't going full bore, and it wasn't that she couldn't stand the thought of hurting him. Dick knew what she was doing it was the same thing that Bruce used to do if he was trying to spar again after a serious injury. Power would eventually return, but the thing they needed to work on more than anything else were his reflexes. Muscle memory and movements were paramount if they were going to survive.

The command and the maneuver to get him on his back weren't exactly what he was expecting, but Dick knew that this was the give and take. The difference though was that Dick wasn't concerned about winning or losing in this one. He was concerned about seeing how Raven would respond. She was smart and she had powers but Dick needed to see them for himself. Fighting alongside her in the Titans Dick didn't always have a chance to see her in action on her own. This was the perfect opportunity to see these things up-close.

Dick looked up at Raven and said, "So you have learned a few tricks. Impressive young lady." Dick then with his abs he thrusted his body upward putting all the weight on his shoulders. With that he threw himself into a backflip and landed up right to which he then spun around. With a quick slide between Raven's legs he grabbed her ankles and pulled her on top of him. He smirked and replied, "Your move."

• Love
Damn her to make the same mistake twice, but again, he was too quick to intercept. His words focused her too much on what he as saying than guessing what he would do next until before she knew exactly what had transpired, his hands were gripping her ankles and pulling her down faster than she could register in order to pull herself higher in the air. So she ended up straddling his midsection, gloved hands on either side of his head while he spoke,​
"Your move."
Raven scoffed above him, not even having to move a muscle to conjure what looked like a blade which settled against his adam's apple gently. Her long hair had formed a dark curtain on both sides of their heads so neither could see in their peripheral vision, but they didn't seem to mind given how locked their gazes and close their noses were.
"Are you sure you aren't letting me win?"

• Love
Dick could feel beads of sweat from Raven dripping down to his upper torso. The blade against the Adam's apple wasn't something he was expecting. He knew that Raven was good at conjuring up projectiles like this, and had this been a meta-villain Dick would be dead already. However, he also realized that if he was facing a meta-villain Dick wouldn't be holding back. That was a problem with sparring with someone like Raven he knew that going full throttle would be an issue. Not only because of what she meant to him, but Dick also knew how competitive Raven could get. One wrong punch or one wrong kick and the gloves for Raven would literally be coming off, and Dick would be in for the fight of his life.

Dick gave a slight smirk and replied, "Me? Go easy on you?" With that Dick swung his legs upward and wrapped them around Raven's neck. He allowed weight and momentum to carry him. As he did this he ducked under the blade and he was now on top of her. Dick looked down at Raven and said, "Perish the thought young lady." Dick put his hands down next to her head, leaned in, and kissed her. He said, "You really are quite formidable Raven. I would never hold back on you in here. It's not fair to you or me. Not to mention I doubt anyone out there will hold back on me." He leaned down and kissed her one more time as the computer chimed, "Round one complete."

She could see the surprise in his midnight eyes when the dark blade met his throat and spared a glance at the clock with a smirk that said I win.
His slightly smirky response returned her face to suspicion and narrowed eyes instantly. She raised an eyebrow as he spoke, but gave an uncharacteristic squeak when he moved beneath her. Too scared to risk his injury, the blade disappeared before his legs grabbed her around the neck and flipped their positions, earning him a growl as he pinned her down yet again. A brief thought to simply shove him out of the ring with another mental construct to "perish" his thoughts of winning this match was interrupted by a swift kiss she succumbed to far too easily as her muscles relaxed beneath him and her breaths came at a slightly quicker pace. She could smell the sweat dripping off of them both and the aura of arousal surrounding the birds was almost painfully obvious to her even as he pulled away, leaving her slightly breathless as he spoke. Then the buzzer officially ended their spar and she was pretty pissed. Garfield would have called it a "Dick" move, and she actually might have mentioned that if her mouth wasn't occupied with his once again.

Somehow she found the will to rip her lips from his by turning her head to the side. "Cheater" she huffed, cheeks red with a rare blush about her normally pale cheeks. He could tell she wasn't really that mad at him, given the near-electric atmosphere around and between them, but he'd be damned if he didn't apologize.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Dick was locked in a perfect push-up position as he felt the sweat dripping off of him onto Raven. He could feel the attraction and energy between them as though it were something tangible. Dick said, "Well you know what they say? All is fair in…" Dick started to realize what he was about to say. He did care deeply for Raven, but to come and say the "L" word would change the dynamic in ways that Dick wasn't sure if either one of them was truly ready for. He smirked and said, "Yeah well you know." He kissed her once more very quickly and asked, "Ready for round two?"

Dick pushed upward and flipped over Raven into a corner of the ring. He said, "I would call round one a draw." The computer replied, "Actually sir, I would call it for Raven. You did use a rather unorthodox method to get her distracted." Dick looked around and said, "Keep it up and I can have your CPU implanted in the microwave." He looked at Raven and asked, "How about we take this do another level for this round?" Dick looked around and said, "Computer kill the lights." Immediately the Batcave was plunged into darkness, and Dick then said, "Now engage the thrust unit two." With that suddenly there was a loud humming sound and a great deal of wind. Dick hated when Bruce did things like this but it was to train Dick to rely on senses other than sight and sound, but to rely on feeling vibrations and trying to catch a scent of one's opponent. He was sure Raven was up by now as he tried to feel the vibrations within the ring to pinpoint where she was.

Her narrowed eyes required of him a reasonable explanation but instead, he hesitated. She both heard and sensed the pause, but did nothing to rectify it. Usually, she doesn't enjoy what isn't forthcoming, but she was relieved for the lack of a certain word between them just yet. The ways of the heart and its inexplicable emotions are still a mystery to her. So she breathes a slight sigh of dual parts relief and reluctant resignation. Raven stood slowly as the computer spoke, smirking at its declaration on who the winner truly was and rolling her eyes at Dick's irritation. He knew he was going to lose.
They faced each other again, but before she could ready herself for another round, he suggested they kick it up a notch. She raised a brow, then the room went pitch black. Raven scoffed, but the expression was lost as a fierce wind was forced into the room. He was only setting up his own disadvantages, for the most part. Sure, she couldn't see as well, but at least she had better eyesight in the darkness than a mere mortal would. The dark is a demon's domain after all. And the wind was a little bothersome, but she could still levitate, even if it was slightly harder to stay in one place given the force of the gales. Again, it seemed he knew he was destined to lose another round. This time it won't end so close to a tie.
She would voice such taunting thoughts, but that would give away her position in the physical realm. If he was smart, Dick would use their mutual mental bond to help him better track her, but she wasn't even sure he was aware of how to use it that way. So, her feet left the ground without a sound as she floated over him to his back, where she immediately landed a downward strike with her heel to his upper back. When he stumbled forward, she brought his hands and wrists to the floor telekinetically with two dark bubbles before shoving her knees to the back of his shoulders and using her weight to try and pin him on his stomach. No easy moves to start with this time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.