Nefastus Lupata Academy: The Return of TJA

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh it has been quiet.

I dunno about everyone else, but for me, it's the week before spring break. ...Which is absurdly busy. :/ So that might have something to do with it.

The Kagapedia..... ;w; Ah the nostalgia....I do miss the good ol' days of TJA.........hopefully someday I can return when my time management isn't total utter shit and my mind is not plagued by a wiseass drunken German catfolk inquisitor.

I certainly will be looking forward to your return.

A million times seconded! ^^

I dunno about everyone else, but for me, it's the week before spring break. ...Which is absurdly busy. :/ So that might have something to do with it.
It has been the exact opposite for me. I'm not getting much new work, and what work I get I finish quickly.

It has been the exact opposite for me. I'm not getting much new work, and what work I get I finish quickly.

I remember when my life was like that. Those were the days...

I certainly will be looking forward to your return.
Saaaame. I was actually just talking to Samir about bringing Locke and Chester into Pathfinder...though maybe I should bring Walter into NLA when I return~

Wow.

H...hey guys.

It's kinda been like what? Forever.

I am still here if anyone wondered, I just though everyone died. I am so lucky I came on here when I did.

Wow. It seems so strange. Been waaaaaayyyyy too long.

Wow.

H...hey guys.

It's kinda been like what? Forever.

I am still here if anyone wondered, I just though everyone died. I am so lucky I came on here when I did.

Wow. It seems so strange. Been waaaaaayyyyy too long.

Hmm...

tumblr_luk996vnd21qiaolko1_250.gif

Weren't you still here during my first revival attempt, though?

I mean, in which case... it hasn't been that long... *scratches head*

Reactions: MoonTeller
Kaga-kun, I just burned all my adorable points on Aria's last post.

Btw, the accountability chart seems to suggest we don't have a very large group of people who actually post on the thread.

Yes, I noticed...

Want me to do a little recruiting?

While that would be nice, I'd also like to get a hold of people like @Phantom Zero who are supposedly here but also, really, not here -- you know what I mean?

Hunt down the people who were with us and haven't been confirmed to be gone. That sounds like a good first priority.

Though recruitment of other players would definitely breathe some new life into this thread, yes. I would appreciate that.

While that would be nice, I'd also like to get a hold of people like @Phantom Zero who are supposedly here but also, really, not here -- you know what I mean?

Hunt down the people who were with us and haven't been confirmed to be gone. That sounds like a good first priority.

Though recruitment of other players would definitely breathe some new life into this thread, yes. I would appreciate that.
My angle on this is that at this point, those words don't mean much. It has been over a month since you tracked down everyone and asked if they wanted to continue playing. If they haven't posted yet, that is a pretty clear sign that they aren't interested. At this point, the burden of proof is on them, not us, to show they are ready to post regularly. I want more players who will post at least once a week without being hassled.

I suggest that we do some cleaning on the character list, send out a notice that anyone who doesn't post in a week's time will be removed. We could even just start over since we have only 5 players. Regardless, I just don't want to encourage continuing to chase after players that are likely to be inactive, nor do I want this thread to regain its reputation for large numbers of inactive members.

Understood. I'll have a post up for Katsuruga within the next few days.
Also, is Seth still in the game? Or is there something else that I should be doing with Aiace?

Understood. I'll have a post up for Katsuruga within the next few days.
Also, is Seth still in the game? Or is there something else that I should be doing with Aiace?
Oh, um. I don't know if my statement is going to equate to actual action. I'm Kaga's helper, but I don't want to actually use GM powers, especially not without Kaga's input. But, I do have something useful to half answer your question.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MMWyXXKWYHtD53fCx6B9UJNZMMysTDMPGy9NZWNkCB4/edit?usp=sharing

That link shows all the posts that occurred after Kaga's outreach for players to return, and whose characters are waiting on whose. I'd recommend holding onto it, since it is an easy way to check who you need posts from and who needs posts from you. If you don't see anyone who needs you, that officially makes you a free agent. It is a good chance to join other groups or have your character do something that reflects their personality and interests (this is a good way to give someone an entry point for interacting with your character).

My angle on this is that at this point, those words don't mean much. It has been over a month since you tracked down everyone and asked if they wanted to continue playing. If they haven't posted yet, that is a pretty clear sign that they aren't interested. At this point, the burden of proof is on them, not us, to show they are ready to post regularly. I want more players who will post at least once a week without being hassled.

I suggest that we do some cleaning on the character list, send out a notice that anyone who doesn't post in a week's time will be removed. We could even just start over since we have only 5 players. Regardless, I just don't want to encourage continuing to chase after players that are likely to be inactive, nor do I want this thread to regain its reputation for large numbers of inactive members.

Woah woah woah woah. Slow down.

First of all, some have shown interest, even if not through IC posting. Phantom Zero, for one, has PMed me at least a few times. Should we try harder to get a hold of him? Yes. Should we toss him under the bus that quickly? No. And what about Kuroku? Or hell even just ProfessorNv, who was interacting with me long after I first tried to revive this place even if, recently, he's been a bit vacant. Which brings me to my second point;

A week is way too strict. This RP is still trying to get back on its feet; let's not toss out everyone who can't meet that schedule, because that would toss out even a lot of people who are clearly still in this, like Yami, and Gamer, etc. Hell, the only two people who have posted within the past week are the two of us. And even then, only once each. And that said, I'm pretty sure there have been times recently when I've taken longer than a week to post.

Trying to put in place post frequency requirements is one thing, but let's try to place realistic goals for the speed of the RP, hmm? Tossing out everyone who can't post in a week would be disastrous. We'd lose our entire player base.

That said, I can understand wanting to clean out the character list, but, honestly, I've been doing that, and it doesn't do much to spur the IC. All I've been able to do is remove some clutter from the character list and tell a few people to unfreeze themselves, but even that doesn't get us too far, as we can plainly see. But uh... yeah, let's clean out old players on a case by case basis. Phantom Zero, for example, is dedicated enough that I can trust he'll probably be with us sooner or later, even if he does need a bit of poking (which is more than I can say for most of the previous regulars, who didn't reply at all and were assumed to have left permanently), so, let's just go through player-by-player and see who's here, hmm? The way I usually do it is: contact someone, and wait a few days (at least) for a reply. Maybe send a second PM if it seems necessary. If they don't reply, then we can assume them dropped.

And, again, let's maintain our common sense, here. We're not robots. And a strict post-by-this-time-or-we'll-drop-you method is certainly not what a roleplay still struggling to get moving needs, especially with so few people. Bonus points for the fact that it's such an unrealistic goal with our current speed. You want everyone posting at least once a week, we need to inch our way up...

Woah woah woah woah. Slow down.

First of all, some have shown interest, even if not through IC posting. Phantom Zero, for one, has PMed me at least a few times. Should we try harder to get a hold of him? Yes. Should we toss him under the bus that quickly? No. And what about Kuroku? Or hell even just ProfessorNv, who was interacting with me long after I first tried to revive this place even if, recently, he's been a bit vacant. Which brings me to my second point;

A week is way too strict. This RP is still trying to get back on its feet; let's not toss out everyone who can't meet that schedule, because that would toss out even a lot of people who are clearly still in this, like Yami, and Gamer, etc. Hell, the only two people who have posted within the past week are the two of us. And even then, only once each. And that said, I'm pretty sure there have been times recently when I've taken longer than a week to post.

Trying to put in place post frequency requirements is one thing, but let's try to place realistic goals for the speed of the RP, hmm? Tossing out everyone who can't post in a week would be disastrous. We'd lose our entire player base.

That said, I can understand wanting to clean out the character list, but, honestly, I've been doing that, and it doesn't do much to spur the IC. All I've been able to do is remove some clutter from the character list and tell a few people to unfreeze themselves, but even that doesn't get us too far, as we can plainly see. But uh... yeah, let's clean out old players on a case by case basis. Phantom Zero, for example, is dedicated enough that I can trust he'll probably be with us sooner or later, even if he does need a bit of poking (which is more than I can say for most of the previous regulars, who didn't reply at all and were assumed to have left permanently), so, let's just go through player-by-player and see who's here, hmm? The way I usually do it is: contact someone, and wait a few days (at least) for a reply. Maybe send a second PM if it seems necessary. If they don't reply, then we can assume them dropped.

And, again, let's maintain our common sense, here. We're not robots. And a strict post-by-this-time-or-we'll-drop-you method is certainly not what a roleplay still struggling to get moving needs, especially with so few people. Bonus points for the fact that it's such an unrealistic goal with our current speed. You want everyone posting at least once a week, we need to inch our way up...
I agree completely.

I also think however that right now we need something more than just words, because that does not change the fact that people haven't posted for a very long time now. The primary deterrent for the player base is they have no idea what their character is supposed to be doing. This is why I proposed a reset. This would take the largest layer of complexity, and we could base the new posting cycle on the time it takes for our player base to respond.

I also don't know how fast, but for the moment, the group could use an actual deadline. You don't need to cut anyone who doesn't make it, but part of the reason it has taken so long is clearly because people have pushed off replying/organizing/coordinating. Alternately, some people might just be too busy to participate at this time in the year. This is why we should decide an acceptable post rate. This place isn't going to be all things to all people. If some players are slow and others are fast, you are going to experience a huge desynchronization, and players will avoid those whose posting rates differ significantly(or suffer in silence).

My point I'm trying to make is that we are trying so hard to be inclusive, that we might be grouping incompatibles together. In addition, I want to make clear that simply having people say they are going to do something doesn't seem like enough progress for an entire month of waiting. I believe some sort of action needs to be taken, and some important decisions have remained pending.

I agree completely.

I also think however that right now we need something more than just words, because that does not change the fact that people haven't posted for a very long time now. The primary deterrent for the player base is they have no idea what their character is supposed to be doing. This is why I proposed a reset. This would take the largest layer of complexity, and we could base the new posting cycle on the time it takes for our player base to respond.

I also don't know how fast, but for the moment, the group could use an actual deadline. You don't need to cut anyone who doesn't make it, but part of the reason it has taken so long is clearly because people have pushed off replying/organizing/coordinating. Alternately, some people might just be too busy. This is why we should decide an acceptable post rate. This place isn't going to be all things to all people. If some players are slow and others are fast, you are going to experience a huge desynchronization, and players will avoid those whose posting rates differ significantly(or suffer in silence).

My point I'm trying to make is that we are trying so hard to be inclusive, that we might be grouping incompatibles together. In addition, I want to make clear that simply having people say they are going to do something doesn't seem like enough progress for an entire month of waiting. I believe some sort of action needs to be taken, and some important decisions have remained pending.

Underlined: What do you mean "reset"? I didn't catch you mentioning that before. And I don't know what you mean.

Anyway... you're right that we need to do more than just throw words around. However, I still don't feel like deadlines is the right way to go about it. Additionally, I don't like this idea that people need to be "classed" based on how fast they post. I mean, I know some people post faster than others but I think it makes more sense to just let those groups form naturally rather than trying to force it. Trying to force it just complicates things.

You know what we need? We need to start getting people posting. And by that I mean, if we get a hold of an older player and they say that they're still around, tell them how to get their characters doing something. Maybe offer up a free character that one of us (or someone else) has in order to give them something to do. Figure out who's here and get groups moving, and create shenanigans if needed so that people have things to do.

Admittedly, I've been meaning to get more of my characters into the IC for a while now in order to give more people stuff to do, but, you know...

At any rate, this is why getting older people back into the thread all at once, as well as recruiting new players, will probably yield the best results. Because right now, no one's posting or really dying to jump back into the IC again because this place just feels dead. Having new players will get the blood pumping in this place again and get people who have been sort of spotty recently back into the groove of things again because there will A) be a living roleplay to join and B) pressure to actually post. The faster a roleplay is moving, the faster that everyone else will want to post -- not only to keep up, but also because ideas will be flowing more quickly. That's what I've been trying to facilitate this whole time. I just haven't quite had the free time to make it work, myself.

Underlined: What do you mean "reset"? I didn't catch you mentioning that before. And I don't know what you mean.

Anyway... you're right that we need to do more than just throw words around. However, I still don't feel like deadlines is the right way to go about it. Additionally, I don't like this idea that people need to be "classed" based on how fast they post. I mean, I know some people post faster than others but I think it makes more sense to just let those groups form naturally rather than trying to force it. Trying to force it just complicates things.

You know what we need? We need to start getting people posting. And by that I mean, if we get a hold of an older player and they say that they're still around, tell them how to get their characters doing something. Maybe offer up a free character that one of us (or someone else) has in order to give them something to do. Figure out who's here and get groups moving, and create shenanigans if needed so that people have things to do.

Admittedly, I've been meaning to get more of my characters into the IC for a while now in order to give more people stuff to do, but, you know...

At any rate, this is why getting older people back into the thread all at once, as well as recruiting new players, will probably yield the best results. Because right now, no one's posting or really dying to jump back into the IC again because this place just feels dead. Having new players will get the blood pumping in this place again and get people who have been sort of spotty recently back into the groove of things again because there will A) be a living roleplay to join and B) pressure to actually post. The faster a roleplay is moving, the faster that everyone else will want to post -- not only to keep up, but also because ideas will be flowing more quickly. That's what I've been trying to facilitate this whole time. I just haven't quite had the free time to make it work, myself.
I probably just didn't communicate it effectively.

I'd like to address the player classing issue, as I did not mean we should apply tags. That would be silly. I meant something more like, if someone who posts as fast as me encounters someone who posts slowly, not only will I try to get my character out of the interaction, but I'd likely be hesitant to do anything with that player again. I basically forget my character if I don't post with them in two weeks, so it makes sense that I'd prefer interacting with active players. This is the phenomenon I'm attempting to describe.

Secondly, I think I understand the direction we are going now. Let me know if I understand correctly. We are attempting to define who still wants to be in the RP, then based on this information we will instruct players on what their character is currently up to and who they can interact with. At the same time, we are going to introduce new players to the RP. Is this our solution?

I probably just didn't communicate it effectively.

I'd like to address the player classing issue, as I did not mean we should apply tags. That would be silly. I meant something more like, if someone who posts as fast as me encounters someone who posts slowly, not only will I try to get my character out of the interaction, but I'd likely be hesitant to do anything with that player again. I basically forget my character if I don't post with them in two weeks, so it makes sense that I'd prefer interacting with active players. This is the phenomenon I'm attempting to describe.

Oh, I know that you didn't mean actually putting tags on people and that this is exactly what you meant. I still don't like it. Even if we don't actually define people by posting class, we're still basically doing that by only constantly keeping faster posters and slower posters away from each other. And I really don't think it's necessary. I think even our faster posters can handle being in an interaction with a slower person, so long as they're not unreasonably slow and essentially leaving you frozen, because that's another issue entirely.

Secondly, I think I understand the direction we are going now. Let me know if I understand correctly. We are attempting to define who still wants to be in the RP, then based on this information we will instruct players on what their character is currently up to and who they can interact with. At the same time, we are going to introduce new players to the RP. Is this our solution?

Yes, that's exactly it. Getting IC activity flowing is my top priority atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.