Mysteries of Membuka

"Like I said," Elias replied, "it's complicated. The simple version is that I needed a bit of peace and quiet."

Elias wore his coat for the sole reason of putting on the show for others that he didn't want to be touched, knowing it did nothing to stop any physical contact from triggering the visions. He had to wonder why Aideen his herself beneath one. She didn't seem to have anything to hide.

Aideen quirked one eyebrow slightly as she heard his words, her feet moving quietly against the ground as she walked along with him, headed for the Archway so they could leave the forest.

"But if you come with me to the village, you're definitely not going to be getting any of that," she said with a light laugh. "I mean, it's loud and busy there..." Aideen fought back another cringe as she walked past a tree. The edge of her cloak that fluttered behind her brushed against it, folding down the side of the cloak so that it pressed awkwardly against her wing. Every slight motion was painful...

Elias shook his head. "Don't worry about me," he said, raising an eyebrow at the sudden and brief look of pain on her face. He chose not to mention it, figuring she was hiding whatever she was for a reason.

Aideen nodded slightly, gazing up at him. There were a few long moments of silence as they walked before she spotted the Archway ahead, smiling a bit. They were coming close - she could make her stops, grab the things she needed, and get back to the Forest to finally get this wretched cloak off.

"So are you from the village?" she asked him curiously as they headed towards the Archway.

Elias shrugged. "I'm not really from anywhere," he said, "I haven't had a steady home since I was ten. I kind of just...go where I'm needed, I guess."

Aideen was more and more curious as this man spoke. A drifter? One who knew of the Enchanted Forest? Wearing a long coat? Surely he had to be some sort of magical being, perhaps a fairy like she was. She slowed to a stop as they came to the Archway, standing by its elegance.

"Are you...you know, human? Or no?" she asked him curiously, hoping her question didn't sound too weird.

Elias shrugged, glancing back toward the forest.

"I don't think so," he said, "I don't really know for sure, but if I am human, I am surely anything but normal."

Aideen gave him a light shrug of her shoulders. Perhaps he didn't know anything about other species. Or maybe he just didn't realize that he clearly wasn't human. Either way, she figured she ought to ask.

"Are you a superhuman? I know we have those - they're like humans, but they've got a special power like telepathy or flying or super speed that makes them different," she said to him. She had heard of them around before, though she hadn't met one.

Elias paused a moment, as if considering the idea for the first time. "I suppose it's plausible," he said, "but I wouldn't exactly call any part of me "super". And I've no evidence either way."

He glanced at Aideen and asked, "What about you?"

Aideen paused a moment. She glanced towards the Archway, able to see the village in the distance. Nobody would see her. She shrugged off her cloak and her beautiful fiery wings sprang free from their confines, fluttering and stretching out. She felt bad that she would have to cover them again, but she figured she might as well show Elias.

"Fire fairy," she replied softly. "These things hurt when you put them under the cloak, but it's better than confusing the villagers that don't know about this place," she said with a light laugh, shaking her head. Her wings fluttered gently behind her, shaking off the lingering aches and soreness from the cloak.

Elias smiled. "They're gorgeous," he said, "such a shame you have to hide them."

Fit for a Princess, truly, he thought, repositioning his hands inside the pockets of his coat.

Aideen gave him a kind smile, giving a light shrug of her shoulders. Carefully, she lifted her cloak over her wings, wincing as they folded themselves down beneath the heavy fabric. She tied the cloak in place and smiled up at him.

"It's only when I go into the village, so it's fine," she said to him softly. "When I'm home I can keep them out and it doesn't hurt, which is nice."

"Yeah, no scaring the villagers and all," Elias said, beginning again toward the village, knowing Aideen would follow.

"My coat doesn't hide anything," he continued, "...just tends to ward off people from touching me."

Aideen followed after him, heading in the direction of the village. She smiled a bit, glad that she was making a friend here. She hadn't been here long, so she hadn't really met anyone - and the few people she did meet were humans, the vendors and bakers in the town. She couldn't open up to them. She couldn't be fully honest with them - but Elias didn't seem to mind finding out that she was a fairy.

"Why don't you want people to touch you?" she asked him softly, very curious. "Are you afraid of germs or something?" Her soft orange hair fluttered gently in the light breeze, her hazel eyes sparkling with warmth.

Elias paused, considering how he should explain.

"I get...visions," he said, "any touch can trigger them. They're...not pleasant."

Aideen raised an eyebrow slightly as she heard his words. Visions? That definitely sounded like an ability, even if it wasn't an enjoyable one.

"What kinds of visions?" she asked softly. Surely visions could be useful in some way, especially in a magical world such as Membuka. Maybe the visions were related to the person he touched, since he said a touch could trigger them - if he were to touch her, would he have a vision about her? Would he see something about her past? Or her future? Could he read her mind?

"I'm really not sure you want to know," Elias said, "every single day I wish they had an off switch..."

He looked away, toward the village, sighing softly. In truth, he craved physical contact, but when all he saw was death, he couldn't bear that contact for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aideen gave him the slightest of frowns, but followed it with a light nod. She momentarily followed his gaze towards the village, then looked back at him.

"Let's go," she said to him softly, offering a warm smile. "We can talk more once we're out of there, I just really need food," she laughed.

Elias smiled and nodded, glad that Aideen had dropped the subject for the time being.

"Yes, a bit of food would be nice," he agreed.

Aideen laughed softly as the two of them walked towards the village, now able to hear the distant sounds of the streets. She gave him a smile before reaching into the pocket of her cloak, checking that her coin bag was there.

"Do you want anything too?" she asked him softly, her hazel eyes gazing up at him. "I mean, you said you don't really live anywhere, so obviously you don't have a fridge all stocked for you..." She smiled a bit, her orange hair fluttering gently in the breeze.