More than just a game show

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Makomin

Original poster
"Welcome everyone to the 5th installment of The Mediocre! A game show whereby 7 contestants that stand within or even slightly below the threshold of mediocrity who will fight out and see who is the one that will leap through this hurdle we call being mediocre.".

Lies. Betrayal. Deceit. Hatred.

One wouldn't think of the above adjectives when they're asked to describe the game show they were to participate in.

"As a recap of what happened last season, it was Sharon Wellington who hurdled over almost all obstacles including all contestants and became The Mediocre. Considering we need to be mindful of our new watchers, allow me, Kazuma Ichinose, your host for The Mediocre explain what this exciting and adventure-filled game show is all about."

I thought this game show that I signed up for was merely some form of spectacle to celebrate mediocrity and encourage others that 'doing your best' would be all the motivation one needed in life. But no, I was more than a mile off tangent.

No matter what, you had to become The Mediocre.

You had to.

"The whole purpose of this game show is to display many forms of average or day-to-day thinking and putting that into practice to overcome whatever obstacles one might face out there, in the real world. And I am delighted to mention that our main sponsor, Disce Research Facility, had sponsored a very large amount of money, alongside our other generous sponsors, to allow us to actually develop our own version of 'the real world'. Unlike the season from before, this 5th installment shall participate in Virtual Reality!"

I remember the weird looks some of the staff members gave me. Almost as though they wanted to scream out what the hell I was doing in signing up to a game show. I misunderstood them, though.

I thought they were giving me that look where I had quit my job for a dumb show where I was not guaranteed to win. But I was wrong.

They were screaming out to me that this would be my worst decision by far.

"Now, as before, we will have seven contestants of various backgrounds and walks of life participate in. What will they participate in, you might ask? Well, there are five stages to this game- Novice, Advanced Beginner, Competent, Proficient, and Expert. The fact of the matter is that in each stage, many challenges will be thrown at the contestants. Their tasks, in general, is to figure out a way to solve, go around or even challenge these tasks given to them. Everyone will be given a total of five tasks in one round. The faster you finish a task, the faster you move up the line. After a total of 25 tasks are accomplished, and in that time, that particular contestant shall be given the rank of 'Expert', they will face an ultimate task- Divine. In the whole existence, no one has ever reached the level of Divine. But how is that there are winners, Mr Kazuma, you might ask. Well, the trick here is that this game show has a maximum airing time of a year. As such, if not one contestant can reach Divine, the one closest to it will be the default winner.

But. If anyone can beat the Divine level, they will be named the Paramount.

What are the prizes that the contestants are willing to place their whole career and maybe even lives at stakes, you might ask? Well, that will be answered once we have the Paramount."

When the first episode was streamed live, I was excited. No, ecstatic. I couldn't believe I was on a game show, let alone one that promised to give me something that was promised me power if I won.

The seven of us seemed were all friendly, even though some of us were reserved or just weren't people person. But after the game show started, we didn't know who to trust anymore.

"There are completely no restrictions on this game show. And that's what makes it more interesting. If a pair of contestants decides to work together, it's good. If they use whatever means to 'rid' of another contestant," Kazuma smiled "All the better."
"The only set of requirement is that every contestant has to provide their own video log by the end of every episode with absolutely no filter whatsoever. If there are, they will be disqualified and...gotten rid of."

This was The Mediocre.

Heeeeey, everyone! As you might be able to tell, I'm looking for a group of seven roleplayers to roleplay alongside me in this. Six, actually, if you count me as one of them. The genre for this is too specific but I would think that it's a mix of action and a bit of thriller if someone decides to kill someone? :D In any case, romance is completely welcome, but do ensure that that is not the star of the roleplay. Also, the setting will be in an almost abandoned city in Virtual Reality. Not to mention, I'd like a co-GM to help out! :3

The seven characters I'm looking for are (Don't be afraid to create your characters with your own twist!):
  • "Everyone's my friend!"
-The social one. Requires to be on everyone's good side.
  • "I can get anything done, anywhere and at any time."
-The overachievers. Tend to set unrealistically high goals at times and become depressed after not being able to achieve it.
  • "I like my bubble."
-The quiet one. Usually does things at his/ her own pace and is oblivion to the rest of the world.
  • "Being physically endurant is key!"
-The 'jocks'. Sees physical health as the main key to accomplishing anything and is probably not too smart.
  • "Nothing can be thaaaat bad."
-The mellow and chilled ones. So relaxed and calm at times even if the whole city is on fire.
  • "Let's set every tree on fire for no reason."
-The rebels. Known as the troublemakers, they tend to stir up trouble for no apparent reason.
  • "I'll do what I want even if it kills me." (My character)
-The hipsters. Sees individualism as the importance in handling situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.