More magical girls! More, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negima seems like the sort of stuff I'd encourage.

And, really, the overall tone with things as they're going would be fairly light (because Nanoha) but by no means always light as it would be if I were running it like Precure. Like, that option would be to the point where if you were trying to be dark and edgy, the universe might refuse to cooperate.

I'm not sure why I tossed Idea 2 up there, but it's probably best just considered a character theme option. Symphogears and reyvatiels are cool, but no need to force everyone to follow those lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfsbane706
There are so much magical girl roleplays here in Iwaku, the Modern Fantasy section may as well be replaced with "SUPER MAGIC GIRL ROMANCE ACADEMY RP"

There are so much magical girl roleplays here in Iwaku, the Modern Fantasy section may as well be replaced with "SUPER MAGIC GIRL ROMANCE ACADEMY RP"
If you don't like what's being presented, buzz off.

There's one.

You probably could have made a better point if you complained about the amount of academy RPs in Modern Fantasy. XD

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Although, right when dies, another takes its place. It's a never ending cycle. It's also saddening when magical girl RPs get more attention than ones that actually had any effort put into place to come up with an original setting.

As for ERode pointing out the abundance of academy RPs in Modern Fantasy, most of them end up becoming the "SUPER MAGIC GIRL ROMANCE ACADEMY RP" RPs I mentioned earlier. There's a lot of overlap between them.

Although, right when dies, another takes its place. It's a never ending cycle. It's also saddening when magical girl RPs get more attention than ones that actually had any effort put into place to come up with an original setting.

As for ERode pointing out the abundance of academy RPs in Modern Fantasy, most of them end up becoming the "SUPER MAGIC GIRL ROMANCE ACADEMY RP" RPs I mentioned earlier. There's a lot of overlap between them.
Most original settings that land in the modern fantasy section tend to be either too dark or just uninteresting for my tastes.

Honestly, this is the usual content issue. If one dislikes what is available, one should put forth what one actually wants. It's more productive than complaining about other people having different tastes.

That being said, it's not like I'd have to put this in the modern fantasy section. Straight fantasy would work. Or possibly scifi, almost. I wasn't the one who chose where magical girl stuff went, anyway. I was under the impression modern fantasy was meant to be predominantly the sort of stuff the World of Darkness is all about. This that or the other fantasy critters in an otherwise modern setting. Also, apparently, superheroes.

I never really thought that Magic girls were modern fantasy, they can be pretty much any genre. Precure is probably modern fantasy but stuffed like Symphogear and AKB0048 are probably scifi/post modern.

Honestly, this is the usual content issue. If one dislikes what is available, one should put forth what one actually wants. It's more productive than complaining about other people having different tastes.

That being said, it's not like I'd have to put this in the modern fantasy section. Straight fantasy would work. Or possibly scifi, almost. I wasn't the one who chose where magical girl stuff went, anyway. I was under the impression modern fantasy was meant to be predominantly the sort of stuff the World of Darkness is all about. This that or the other fantasy critters in an otherwise modern setting. Also, apparently, superheroes.

To end the off topic, I'd like to point out that without shameless advertising, it's difficult to get a distinctly original idea to take off. I've tried it myself.

That's all.

I never really thought that Magic girls were modern fantasy, they can be pretty much any genre. Precure is probably modern fantasy but stuffed like Symphogear and AKB0048 are probably scifi/post modern.
AKB0048 was magical girls? I thought it was more like Macross, sci-fi mecha + idols? XD

But yeah...all that I've gathered is that one person dislikes one idea being recycled, when everything else has been recycled as well.

Reactions: Asuras
AKB0048 was magical girls? I thought it was more like Macross, sci-fi mecha + idols? XD

But yeah...all that I've gathered is that one person dislikes one idea being recycled, when everything else has been recycled as well.
Well I always thought AKB0048 was some sort of magic girl thing, but if you mention it was probably more on idols. AKB0048 was one of the more action-y idol anime though, I perfer it over other idol themed anime because of the whole scifi action thing. Maybe you could do something like that for the RP. I know you said it's not going to be like Precure, but Precure has a lot of close combat rather than the standard "magic" attacks in magic girls.

Nanoha's got a fair share of close combat as well, especially once As happens and the Wolkenritter turn up. (Then again, Nanoha is also very much giant robots in inspirations).

Really, like a lot of things, close combat versus traditional magic beams versus whatever else wouldn't be up to me as GM. I'd be providing a setting and antagonists. How actual characters play would be up to the people playing them, and I am generally unconcerned there. I've seen enough magical girl stuff to see quite a number of different ideas for characters and general combat style.

I like the sound of two and four but I like all of them~

I think I know what I'll be doing with this. Which will be heavy Nanoha inspiration. Magic and magitech will be plentiful, mages are probably in a spacefaring organization, and so-on. I'll hash out more details when I have time, probably cherry-picking from any discussion in here in the meantime. And once I have a proper elevator pitch, I'll post the results in this thread to see who's still in for it.

I do have one big question to answer, though. Should I try to make this dice based? I could probably hack together a simple system, or just go all-out and use Mutants and Masterminds, which would probably be pushing a burden of learning the system on most of you guys. The other major con of die rolling is some things might take a little longer to resolve, mostly fights and such (though if I post NPC stats, anyone could roll for them, hm...that may mean it works out well enough). I'm mostly used to running full rulesets live via chats, which tends to go well enough.

The biggest pro to using die rules is it essentially bakes in balance in a big way. The way I see it, you can describe your abilities any way you could possibly want, but the rule system in place means that there's a solid metric of just how strong those abilities actually are, and thus no arguments over something being "OP" or whatever. Of course, you'd need to know how to actually get the system to reflect what you want to do.

If I did do a major system, I could provide some helpful templates or things that I'd recommend every character have in some form anyway.

Reactions: EternalMusic
I think I know what I'll be doing with this. Which will be heavy Nanoha inspiration. Magic and magitech will be plentiful, mages are probably in a spacefaring organization, and so-on. I'll hash out more details when I have time, probably cherry-picking from any discussion in here in the meantime. And once I have a proper elevator pitch, I'll post the results in this thread to see who's still in for it.

I do have one big question to answer, though. Should I try to make this dice based? I could probably hack together a simple system, or just go all-out and use Mutants and Masterminds, which would probably be pushing a burden of learning the system on most of you guys. The other major con of die rolling is some things might take a little longer to resolve, mostly fights and such (though if I post NPC stats, anyone could roll for them, hm...that may mean it works out well enough). I'm mostly used to running full rulesets live via chats, which tends to go well enough.

The biggest pro to using die rules is it essentially bakes in balance in a big way. The way I see it, you can describe your abilities any way you could possibly want, but the rule system in place means that there's a solid metric of just how strong those abilities actually are, and thus no arguments over something being "OP" or whatever. Of course, you'd need to know how to actually get the system to reflect what you want to do.

If I did do a major system, I could provide some helpful templates or things that I'd recommend every character have in some form anyway.
Up to you in the end, but I say go for it.

Hm...I think a simple system would be best. Perhaps just to determine the swing of the battle? You should probably add some in-universe rules though, such as how magical lasers aren't actually lightspeed projectiles, and magical plasma isn't actually as hot as the sun. Of course, you might also want to provide some leeway in regards to NOT using the dice system at times. Nothing's a greater turn-off to me than when I write a super dramatic scene, full of nakama power and resolve and bodily sacrifice...before rolling mediocre numbers and doing nothing at all.

Then there's also the problem of just lucking through a boss battle...or the reverse of getting rekt by a lvl 1 slime...

*nods head* I agree with ERode there I have to say, although I feel like it being dice at some points or something like that I think that would be fine as well~ I guess it just depends~ ^^;;

I do not think a dice or stat system should be implemented, because in my opinion, it limits the dynamic nature of combat too much. I am the fan of purely roleplayed combat, though I would accept strength qualifiiers or some really simple system.

There can be a nice balance between (complex) dice-rolls and "dynamic" by simply writing the scene based on what rolls were made or are made. What I mean is you can still write out your 4complex6me moves despite something just essentially being a "simple hit with your sword beam". And to cater to Rodey's needs, a few rulesets deploy the use of 'style-points' or similiar called which gives you an automatic success which can also allow you to describe the shit you do in the manliest of manners with your bestest results.

I think the biggest reason I like dice is that element of not knowing how things will turn out. Fights in particular are generally chaotic. If the boss monster has terrible luck or the mook exceptionally good luck, that's just an amusing way the story can go. Generally, the best thing to do is roll dice, then describe the results, if one needs to keep combat dynamic, and so-on. I think the biggest things I'd want to avoid with crunchy dice rules are mostly things like fights dragging out too long, or too much defeat by fiat on enemies. Dice can fall where they may, of course. I'm also honestly not the best at writing purely narrative combat (not used to it, if nothing else).

My misgivings aside, I'd probably modify even the crunchiest system I can name, because it does have a few places where some things break down. I'd probably allow 1 ultimate/finisher attack per character that can break the usual caps on things, so the giant anime wave motion guns you don't usually bring out can actually be unusually effective. Caveat being that you'd have to, well, not use them all the time. There are actually rules for mooks who aren't very tough to take down (and I also worked up some for consolidating them into large groups, too). And yes, there would be some points that run off "fuck that roll." and let you reroll or otherwise make sure you don't suck. One is also encouraged to be far from stingy when handing said points out.

I'll mull this over for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.