Moments in Video Games that actually make you sad *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lot's of game moments that have made me bawl. Here are just a few.

Pandora's Tower: The game starts out as a straight-forward RPG with little gameplay elements other than slicing through monsters and cool bosses, and the only thing that seems to stand out is the fact that you have to feed your girlfriend raw flesh from abominable creatures. Then, towards the end, you come to realize that something is more than off about those monsters...

FROM's Souls series: The games provide many sad moments, although mostly lore-wise. One particular incident that comes to mind though, is the boss battle against Maiden Astraea or her knight, Garl Vinland.
Astraea was a saint, sent to the Valley of Defilement with her bodyguard Garl to tend to the plagued. There, she discovered the truth behind God's existence - or lack thereof - and upon realizing that her faith will bring no consolation to the wretched inhabitants of the defiled valley, she accepts the most impure of all Demon's Souls into her body, seeing it as the only way to stop some of the plague from spreading, and to alleviate the pain of the already plagued. She is thereby condemned to spend all eternity in the valley, all alone, except for the atrocities that came from the plague, and Garl, who won't leave her side, no matter what. Garl and Astraea's relationship is never confirmed in the canon, but I wouldn't say it's particularly open to speculation. Depending on who you kill first, the other will take their life after the loss of their companion.

ALSO THE ENDING OF EVERY PROFESSOR LAYTON GAME

Red Dead Redemption's ending is pretty sad. The most recent downer moment I had in a video game was just yesterday, when I found the last of the "Lost Letters" collectibles in Far Cry 4. Reminded me of the infamously sad Futurama episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blame the music, I mean...god.
The Music definitely adds to it.

But Keith David also did a good job as playing Anderson in the series, and really nailed that goodbye sequence.

But really, Mass Effect has some real killer moments:

I rember playing this alone in my dorm room at 3 AM, feeling that weight in my eyes.

"He...he said 'I'!"

• Love
Reactions: SlamifiedBuddafied
ME 3 had some moments, but it was trying to hard to throw sadness at you every chance it got.

That said. FF7 made me legit cry when I first played it.

But really, Mass Effect has some real killer moments:

I rember playing this alone in my dorm room at 3 AM, feeling that weight in my eyes.

"He...he said 'I'!"
Oh yea. That moment was really rough.
And during the trilogy I always tended to sympathize with under dogs (Geth and Krogan) too so I was always defending them when everyone else saw them as monsters.
Even in ME1 I kind of sided with the Geth once Tali told me there history, she basically spelled out they were the oppressed/in slaved group, not the Quarians, even if she was trying to make me hate the Geth.
ME 3 had some moments, but it was trying to hard to throw sadness at you every chance it got.
It had 60 hours of build up and history from the past two games though.
There was ton of story and plot lines that needed closure and wrapping up.
In way they were basically just one long ass game, with the 3rd being the finale of it all.

It doesn't make alot of it less tacky and very hamfisted. It cheapened the effect some fierce.

Am I the only one who found Tiny Tina's acceptance of Roland's death in Attack on Dragon Keep to carry a brutal gut punch of feels?

Am I the only one who found Tiny Tina's acceptance of Roland's death in Attack on Dragon Keep to carry a brutal gut punch of feels?
It hits you like a suckerpunch. The series doesn't do sadness very often. SO it just blindsiding you like that was emotional.

Not the game itself, but LoL has some hidden gems in their lore. I always felt really bad about the Sad Mummy, Amumu.

And then Riot went and made this;

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
ME's sad moments have been posted to death here, so I won't go over them.

Master Chief's "death" at the end of Halo 3 (were you not playing on Legendary difficulty and therefore wouldn't see the extra cutscene where he's alive.) Holy fuck. Halo was the first game I ever played socially with friends, so I played the absolute fuck out of all the games. Seeing the Chief die after all that... ooft.
Also, watching Cortana being tortured by the Gravemind. ;-;

There were quite a few moments in the Jak and Daxter series that sorta got to me. Particularly Damas revealing he was Jak's father with his last breath - by telling the story of how he lost his son, and them realising it was Jak. He died not ever realising Jak was his son.

There are others as well, but these ones stand out.

Master Chief's "death" at the end of Halo 3 (were you not playing on Legendary difficulty and therefore wouldn't see the extra cutscene where he's alive.)
That's not Legendary.
I got that ending on easy mode before even.

There were quite a few moments in the Jak and Daxter series that sorta got to me. Particularly Damas revealing he was Jak's father with his last breath - by telling the story of how he lost his son, and them realising it was Jak. He died not ever realising Jak was his son.

There are others as well, but these ones stand out.
Good one.

This part in The Last of Us

This part also

This part as well

...This whole game pretty much.

Entering a campfire while others are already there in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. always gets to me. They're just there sitting around while one plays their guitar, just trying to get through another day in the zone.

Do visual novels count as games? I never know what threads those are allowed in.

...When Aggro dies...

In Shadow of the Colossus.

I can't...
This..
I had to put down the controler and just walk away for a second.

While my boyfriend and his best friend just laughed at me because they knew what was coming up. The heartless bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of ME's sad moments. All of them.

Dear god. So many. But these are the worst ones.

Death of Julius. Just... feels. Feels Everywhere. Real feelsy stuff starts at about 9:30

Every ending (save the hotsprings ending) Because FUCK HAPPY ENDINGS! ;A;

True Ending

Normal Ending

Brother Ending

The ending music gets me every time. There's nothing sad about the game. At all. But gdi the music...

Childhood me was not prepared for all the feels. Music and other audio hits me harder than visuals. Which is why horror games/movies don't bother me as long as I can plug my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.