Moments in Video Games that actually make you sad *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lastly but not least, the moment on Firemblem Awakening when Emmeryn willing jumps off of the cliff. If you don't think this one was sad-worthy then you're without a heart(And that's coming from a jester).
Eh. I respect her courage and willingness to not continue hatred and violence.

But at the same time was too willing to do the "Right" thing when in truth it was just illogical and putting both herself and her nation out of some "Moral need".
Which at that point you're not actually being a good person, you're doing good acts simply to pat yourself on the back even if you damn well know it ain't helping anyone.
That whole "Moral high ground simply so I can be moral" reasoning made me lose almost any kind of sympathy for her when she jumped.

Eh. I respect her courage and willingness to not continue hatred and violence.

But at the same time was too willing to do the "Right" thing when in truth it was just illogical and putting both herself and her nation out of some "Moral need".
Which at that point you're not actually being a good person, you're doing good acts simply to pat yourself on the back even if you damn well know it ain't helping anyone.
That whole "Moral high ground simply so I can be moral" reasoning made me lose almost any kind of sympathy for her when she jumped.
If I had a brick, I would definitely toss it at you but unfortunately all I have is some sticks so....yeaaahh.

She was a good person but from what I get from your view is that she had to be a female bad-ass in order to satisfy your needs. Not everyone has to cut up a thousand soldiers in order to create peace. And to be honest, violence doesn't create peace, just more violence.

Emmeryn was the type of person that pursued peace over violence instead of following in her father's footsteps. No matter how illogical it was, she still was ready to go the mile in order to bring about peace. Also, Emmeryn obviously shown that she wasn't doing it for peace of mind, just by leaping off that cliff without hesitation alone. Her people could've easily taken care of Gangrel, especially after getting help from whatever that place you go to early on in the game. Despite that, Emmeryn chose the road for peace and sacrificed herself for what she believed in.

The only one that comes to mind is Transistor. That ending. ;_;

• Love
Reactions: lostfaith
She was a good person but from what I get from your view is that she had to be a female bad-ass in order to satisfy your needs. Not everyone has to cut up a thousand soldiers in order to create peace. And to be honest, violence doesn't create peace, just more violence.
Nice Strawmanning. :P

I never argued peace, I never argued all females had to be bad-asses.
What I said was she was one of those "Moral because I want to be good" people, not "Moral because it will help my people".
For example, the second she was attacked on patrol her first reaction was to go back to the Capital (Target/Danger #1) because it was the 'right thing' to do, despite it doing nothing but put her in more danger (hell it what led to the situation that caused her to commit suicide).
Emmeryn obviously shown that she wasn't doing it for peace of mind, just by leaping off that cliff without hesitation alone.
There was hesitation there. She took a bit of time making the jump.
Plus you're looking at death as meaning the motivations must have been good.

Note: In this case I'm defining Good as "Morally good, with the intention of helping others", so if you're going to respond with a strawman of "Depressed people kill themself! Are you villifying them?" just don't, because once again that's not what I'm saying at all.

Not everything kills them self for good reasons, some do it because they realize their situation is screwed.
+Like past criticisms of her, she goes it because culturally her actions are morally 'good' even if logically there is no benefit to anyone.
Her people could've easily taken care of Gangrel, especially after getting help from whatever that place you go to early on in the game. Despite that, Emmeryn chose the road for peace and sacrificed herself for what she believed in.
Except they couldn't.
Immediately after she died Risen popped up and slaughtered most of them forcing a retreat.
Which considering she was there hostage for a time, probably had some clue or indication that was a thing Gangrel had up his sleeve.

And yes, I do realize in game her suicide did lead to peace.
But that's not how people work, even Gandhi's people eventually broke up into violence with one another.
The fact all her actions actually worked was because unrealistic writing, which is fine cause it's a fantasy.
But I'm still looking at a character for their actions and reasoning, and not the Mary Sue plot line the writers put her on.

And to make this 100% clear, I am not arguing she should of advocated and encouraged war. I agree that peace was the best outcome. But her methods didn't show "I want peace" it showed "I am a good person because this act counts as good? Right? What do you mean no one benefits? Culturally this a good action so it must be the proper way to respond".

Let's not derail this thread too much, guys.

One of the last memorable, in terms of sadness, video game memories was Noble Six's last stand at the end of the game. Not that the rest of the moments weren't sad with heroic death and all that. And not to say anything about the gameplay or even the story as a whole itself. But that specific moment, knowing you're going to fight a losing battle. Knowing that every enemy you kill is only going to be answered with ever stronger and more numerous baddies. The little extras, too. Like the chaos, the fog, and the cracking of the visor after a certain amount of damage taken. These all add to a feel that really struck me.

Oh, and to go old school, I was really hit hard by Aerith's death in FF7. Being a young man, it really got to me. I remember I would always just unleash on Jenova when you had to fight her after. How dare they! ;__;

Oh, and the fact that you never saw Bayonetta's boobs in game is enough of a damn shame to make me cry.

The biggest one for me is Aerith's death in Final Fantasy 7.

THe final scene in AC 4 when you see all your buddies, dead and alive, for one last time ;_;

AC 4 hit me with a unexpected feel hook.

Reactions: iMisterH
Seeing Joel's daughter, Sarah, die at the start of the Last of Us had me tearing up. It was definitely an emotional scene for me, probably because of the fantastic and convincing voice acting.

Fire emblem Awakening definitely had it's moments... I think the one that impacted hardest was when I chose to kill Grima instead of putting it to sleep. Saying goodbye to everyone, the music, and just that final chapter in general tugged me between sadness and hope, and a will to face the odds even if I was outclassed. (I didn't level my characters properly on the first run, and most were second class low levels. I even just decided to make Robin marry Lisa, so... I wasn't really playing to max out in that run. My team was mostly wiped out, and it was down to Robin and Chrom when I reached Grima.)

Something else I remembered.
Whenever you lose someone if fire emblem path if radiance. The music combined with the fact the death was a result of your own actions does get a reaction.

Even if a second later you simply reach for the reset button.

The ending oh my gawd of Black Flag. That...that was a hard one for me to handle.

Mass Effect 3 -- For all of it's right-shite ending, this hit right in the feels. There may or may not have been tears.

"I need you to make it out of here alive, Tali. Get back to Rannoch; build yourself a home."

"I have a home... Come back to me..."

Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.