Moments in Video Games that actually make you sad *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every inch of To the Moon stings me when I replay it. On my first playthrough though, the tears only started streaming by the time Johnny and River were at the carnival (after that playthrough, though, I couldn't stop crying for the next hour or so, and that was when my speakers were going all wonky. When I played it again with the music, it didn't make me cry as much, but I guess it was proportional to the fact that I still remembered most details of that game). Also, the first time I cured a Little Sister also touched my heart, to the point of one tear shed, but that's about it. Oh, and the time I finished Limbo, although I think the tear there was more out of confused fear for the boy than anything else.

I would say The Walking Dead, but even the television series doesn't make me cry. It might be because of the zombies. I would also say Mass Effect, but again, I just couldn't. However, I've only so far played the first two stories, so maybe it's the ending that'll get me.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Am I the only one who found Tiny Tina's acceptance of Roland's death in Attack on Dragon Keep to carry a brutal gut punch of feels?
I just watched that for the first time, got some shivers man.

Every inch of To the Moon stings me when I replay it. On my first playthrough though, the tears only started streaming by the time Johnny and River were at the carnival (after that playthrough, though, I couldn't stop crying for the next hour or so, and that was when my speakers were going all wonky. When I played it again with the music, it didn't make me cry as much, but I guess it was proportional to the fact that I still remembered most details of that game). Also, the first time I cured a Little Sister also touched my heart, to the point of one tear shed, but that's about it. Oh, and the time I finished Limbo, although I think the tear there was more out of confused fear for the boy than anything else.

I would say The Walking Dead, but even the television series doesn't make me cry. It might be because of the zombies. I would also say Mass Effect, but again, I just couldn't. However, I've only so far played the first two stories, so maybe it's the ending that'll get me.
I had forgotten about To the Moon and LIMBO. You brought back the pulling on my heartstrings. No telling how much I cried while playing To the Moon. It was a beautiful game with a beautiful story. I couldn't control myself. T.T

Only scene to make me "cry" in a video game is really just Kat's death in Halo Reach and I think it's because it's really sudden and not expected to have happen. What pissed me off though was when DSP played it on youtube and laughed when she died calling her an annoying bitch and being happy for it.

Only scene to make me "cry" in a video game is really just Kat's death in Halo Reach and I think it's because it's really sudden and not expected to have happen. What pissed me off though was when DSP played it on youtube and laughed when she died calling her an annoying bitch and being happy for it.
Lol, everyone in Reach was competing for the "Most Heroic Death" award.

Jorge's death got me so much better. He died thinking he saved everyone, and he accepted it, wanted it. Straight-up picking you up and tossing you out the window. Nobody could deny him this.

Lol, everyone in Reach was competing for the "Most Heroic Death" award.

Jorge's death got me so much better. He died thinking he saved everyone, and he accepted it, wanted it. Straight-up picking you up and tossing you out the window. Nobody could deny him this.
If you actually go onto youtube and look my channel up and see my playthrough of Reach, when it gets to that part that whole time I was like "No...no...what the fuck are you doing...no...NOOOOO..." but Kat's was just like...damn she gone and there was no sign of it coming for me at least.

I just can't associate Halo with sadness. Many emotions, but ner sadness.

And the way Chief and Cortana's relationship is force-fed to you in Halo 4 just turns me off completely.

I just can't associate Halo with sadness. Many emotions, but ner sadness.

And they way Chief and Cortana's relationship is force-fed to you in Halo 4 just turns me off completely.
Speaking of which, Halo 4's ending to make me cry. Yeah it was kind of sped up with the relationship but it did get to me. That ending...fuck me with a rusted spoon and twist my soul till it bleeds.

Let me say this:

I owned a copy of Halo 3 for a full year before I owned an 360.

I have every Halo OST CD

I read all of the books.

I played every game, even Wars.

Hell, I even made a full set of MK VI Armor out of cardboard along with an Assault-Rifle w/ working clip.

All this devotion, and Halo 4 made me vow to never touch Halo again.

Chief should have ended his legacy there. Being the hero and dieing heroically, with a hopeful question-mark hanging over his story for all time. Instead of doing what Bungie wanted and focus on the little-guys in the huge universe they made, Microsoft thaws out Chief, sticks him in a stupid story, ruins one of the most mysterious figures of Halo history, and promises us more.

All so they can make him their little cash-cow.

• Love
In GTA V, when Trevor goes to get the pills for his mother, and comes back to see that she's gone.
Not super sad about it, but that was fucked up. xD

"Oh, so you managed to unite Europe under your hand through casual brutality and merciless conquest that likely involved assassinating the pope and other religious figures and executing tens of thousands of prisoners of war? We're just gonna remind you how much of a dick you are. Dick."

Last edited:
@To the moon: I completely forgot this too... :/ I'll have to update my list once back at my computer.

@ Halo: Halo 4 sucked, it should never have existed. Bungie treated the series well, 343 are just cash cows who keep telling in your ear that they live the 'journey' while wiping their ass with Halo.

@Crying in a game: I don't define sad moments by how they make me cry. Because no game has ever done that. And the only show to do it was Clannad After Story.

But that's cause it takes ALOT of sadness for me to get to the point of crying.

Last edited:
The ending of the Borderlands 2 DLC, "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep". You need to have at least gone about halfway through the original campaign for it to mean anything to you. If you have a soul, this one is a tearjerker.

I'm heartless I suppose...I'm trying to think and no game has really made me feel sad or cry.

But really, Mass Effect has some real killer moments:

I rember playing this alone in my dorm room at 3 AM, feeling that weight in my eyes.

"He...he said 'I'!"
Some moments which palpitate the heart in such a way, you cannot help but feel you just lost a good friend, as any well thought out character could be.

The whole game is an emotional rollercoaster, once I beat it I couldn't play a shooter for weeks. This scene is the worst, it makes you feel terrible.

Also, someone mentioned TLOU, that entire game is a masterpiece, an emotional one, but still a masterpiece.

The whole game is an emotional rollercoaster, once I beat it I couldn't play a shooter for weeks. This scene is the worst, it makes you feel terrible.

Also, someone mentioned TLOU, that entire game is a masterpiece, an emotional one, but still a masterpiece.
For me Spec Ops wasn't really a sad game, it was more an artistic masterpiece.
A perfect criticism and analysis of the violent and idolized war hero trend gaming has.

That moment on Drakengard 2 when Caim and Angelus dies. I don't usually cry over games but this one was an exception.

Another sad moment is when you finally reach Noel's timeline in FF13-2. Can't say it topples the first one but it's still pretty sad to see it nonetheless.

Lastly but not least, the moment on Firemblem Awakening when Emmeryn willing jumps off of the cliff. If you don't think this one was sad-worthy then you're without a heart(And that's coming from a jester).

Status
Not open for further replies.