Mind Games (lxngdon and MaryGold)

m a r i t z a
Maritza was able to sit and allow the man to conduct the checkup, though, she knew she wouldn't have been able to do so without Quinn's reassurance. She kept one hand clasped around his for the entirety of the examination, tightening her hold whenever a new piece of medical equipment touched her skin. It wasn't that bad. It really wasn't that bad.

And then, Dr Brooks brought out a needle.

The only needles Maritza had ever seen in her life were that the customers of her family business used, and even though they ran a cartel, her mother and older siblings condemned herion and needles. They also made sure to frequently make Maritza promise to never become a junkie, and she wasn't. She had never even touched pot. She was the baby of the family, the pure one, and that was why she was so terrified of medication and drugs -- she didn't want to betray those who believed in her.

So she scrambled backwards, letting go of Quinn's hand since her skin was getting hot and singing the sheets of the bed. "What the fuck is that?!" she asked frantically, looking between Quinn and Dr Brooks. "No no no no no -- no, I can't, I can't!"

Q U I N N
"Maritza, calm down." Quinn told her, keeping his voice level. He looked to Dr. Brooks who was frowning mostly in confusion but there was also a hint if suspicion. That hint of course what Quinn had been able to briefly read even though he hadn't meant to.

"What is the problem?" Dr. Brooks asked, raising an eyebrow. He paused for a second and continued. "Perhaps you have a fear of needles?"

Quinn answered in her stead. "Something like that." He nodded his head once. Again, it was not on purpose, but the thoughts and sometimes images came to him without his own permission. It was just bits but it was more than enough for him to know.

In a way, he found it quite sad that when it came to medication and needles she associated it with illegal drugs and ruin when he knew these things dominant purpose was to help lives. It was a background difference, she from a family of drug dealers while he from a family of doctors. The difference had never been more vividly clear.

"Look, listen, he just needs draw some of your blood."
He stood up from his seat on the bed. "He's not even injecting you with anything. So, please, breathe and relax."

m a r i t z a
It made Maritza incredibly uncomfortable to know that Quinn could hear her thoughts, and that it was out of both of their controls. That meant that he could hear anything -- hear her feelings for him. And if he rejected her, she would be mortified. She wouldn't know how to recuperate from such a blow.

But luckily, she couldn't think about her feelings for Quinn at that moment, because she was too terrified of the needle. Though, Quinn's murmurs of reassurance admittedly did help, and she managed to calm herself down enough to pull him back onto the bed, hide her face in his shoulder and close her eyes as the doctor approached with the syringe.

"Please don't leave me," she squeaked.

Maritza hated to show weakness but she really couldn't help it. She was scared and lost and all she had was Quinn, who was like a sturdy rock of support for her, one she valued and truly did need. One that meant the world to her.

She squeaked when the needle pierced her skin and only looked up when she felt the bandage be secured onto her arm. "Wh - what are you going to do with the blood?" she asked Dr Brooks suspiciously.

Q U I N N
"The same thing we did with everyone else. I'm taking it to get tested." Dr. Brooks said absentminded, putting his equipment away and taking off his plastic gloves to pick up the syringe in which her blood was held. "We just need to make sure everything inside your body is doing well too. We don't know all that they did at Horizon."

Quinn played with the hem of his sleeve when the name of their previous prison had been mentioned. It set an uneasy, heavy feeling in the pit of the stomach. Temporarily being with Maritza had made him forget why he was there, why they all were. But he was quick to remember and quick to sink back into the stoop he had once been in.

"You don't think they were actually doing anything bad to us besides keeping us captive ... Do you?"
He questioned the doctor.

"We don't know yet. But if they were capturing and holding you against your will who's to say they wouldn't." Dr. Brooks collected the rest of his things and left them after excusing himself.

Quinn sighed tiredly and rubbed his temples, feeling a headache come on. There were too many thoughts in his head and he couldn't recognize which one was his own. He needed solitude.

"From here on out they'll just ask for you to demonstrate your ability and do with it as they ask. You can do that yourself, can't you?"
He clenched his fist tightly, digging his thumb nail into his hand and stood up. "You already know how to control your powers so it should be a breeze."

m a r i t z a
The idea of the people at Horizon having experimented on her, injected her with unknown substances, did what they liked with her, terrified Maritza to the core of her being and she honestly couldn't imagine anything worse. What was worse than not having control of your own body? What was worse than someone else, some malevolent being, having their way with you?

Nothing. There was nothing worse.

"Yeah," she said to Quinn when he asked her if she would be able to demonstrate her abilities for the people who had brought them there. Of course she'd be able to. She had had control of her abilities for the longest time, and even when she was in an incredibly emotional state, she had never had a major accident or caused anyone serious injury. Well, unless she'd done it on purpose, which she was no stranger to.

"I'll be fine," she mumbled, mainly to herself. Maritza reached over, took Quinn's hand and pulled him close, looking up at him with her gorgeous chocolate brown eyes.

"Will you be okay, though?"

Maritza wasn't used to caring for someone who wasn't a member of her family. This was a totally new experience for her, but she found that she didn't mind it, because it was Quinn, who had proven himself time and time again to be good and loyal and amazing and she really liked him, but he couldn't know that, because it would ruin everything. So she kept that to herself, but looked up at him as she anxiously awaited his answer. He was her rock, her support, the only thing that was keeping her sane right now, so if he lost control ... she didn't know where she would be.

Q U I N N
Oh, God. She really liked him. Genuinely and truly. He didn't need to know her thoughts to become aware of that. It was all there, in front if him.

For a moment he choked on his own words which was nothing but nonsense anyway because he wasn't sure what he was going to say. Between the racing thoughts, her feelings, and his feelings on everything going on around him he was immensely confused. How was he really? And how should he answer that? It was all a muddled mess in his messy unstable head.

Quinn could have cried.

Instead he smiled. "I guess as okay as one can be in the situation we've been put in." Slowly, he slipped his hand out if hers and bit down on the inside of his cheek.

"I think I might lay down for a while and hopefully get my head straight."
As straight as he possibly could. It was a one big headache no matter what he did though. Solitude was the best solution and painfully lonely.

m a r i t z a
Maritza could practically feel her heart shatter when Quinn slipped his hand out of hers. She knew he didn't mean it to offend her or make her upset, but to her, it was just confirmation that he didn't like her and he never would. They were just too different. She could list a hundred thousand reasons why they weren't compatible and she'd still have plenty to spare.

She came from a family of organised criminals. She was violent, loud, aggressive and a total and complete bitch, which there was no arguing with. She wasn't likeable in general, which was why she found it difficult to keep and maintain new friends. Also, she was dangerous to be around, with her family and her ability.

Quinn was older, and he was probably more experienced in the romance field, so what interest would he have in Maritza, who had never even kissed a guy? His family came from a medical background, and they definitely weren't drug dealers like her own. They were just too different, and there was nothing Maritza could do to change that fact. She would just have to live with it.

"Okay," she said quietly to Quinn, wrapping her legs around her knees. "I'll come and find you when I'm done."

Q U I N N
Quinn was slowly apart. Piece by piece, bit by bit, little by little. And there was nothing he could do to stop it. He quit trying a long time ago because there was honestly no point in it for him. His entire world had changed in one day and he didn't know his way around it. And he simply couldn't learn to, he didn't have enough will.

He had all but gave up.

Sitting in the large room that he shared with many others, Quinn sat on his bottom bunk trying desperately to read a book. Alone. Even if he wanted to be hanging out with others, he couldn't. The only people he truly knew in the place was Leah and Maritza. But Leah was always busy working, trying to help out with all the new kids they now had and he was truthfully just avoiding Maritza.

It felt wrong to around her, reading her thoughts. Those things weren't meant to be read by others. Especially so when they had to do with him. He liked her. And he liked her enough to back off.

His head was getting louder and louder but it wasn't just his powers doing this, no, it was his illness. He bit into the nail of his thumb and frantically looked around the room in which the people were so casual, completely unaware of his deeply rooted pain.

m a r i t z a
Over the last week or so, Maritza had been playing along with the stupid life of this place because she really just wanted to go home, but she couldn't, because she really wanted Quinn, too. No, she needed Quinn. She needed him because in the short time in which she had known him, he had been the only consistent thing in her life, and she didn't know if she'd be able to continue on without him. Okay, maybe that was a bit dramatic, but it had some truth to it.

He made her happy. So there. She didn't want to give that up.

But he'd been avoiding her, and that had killed her. She hadn't advanced on him or crowded him or anything because she was logical enough to know that it wasn't her. This was something else -- he felt alone and lost and it killed Maritza to know that there was nothing she could do.

But she hadn't seen him in a few days, so Maritza, with a bag of chips and a bottle of Coke she'd swiped from the kitchen, made her way to the room in which she knew he slept. She looked gorgeous that day -- loose gray sweatpants and a tight T-shirt, cropped to show off her pierced midriff, and her long, thick hair cascading down her back in brown curls. She was the kind of female to attract a lot of attention, but she really didn't mean it. Ever. She was just gorgeous and she barely even noticed the eyes on her as she approached Quinn's bed with her stolen goods.

"Hey," she said quietly, tapping him on the shoulder before sitting on his bottom bunk as well. She carefully climbed over his long legs -- she was tiny enough for it to work -- so her back was pressed against the wall, and she could sit adjacent to him.

Maritza licked her lips, trying to figure out what to say to make him not hate her.

"I, um, hadn't seen you in a few days so I thought I'd check up on you," she said. She held out the chips and Coke. "I got these from the kitchen for you."

Q U I N N
Quinn couldn't believe she actually came to see him. He had thought she'd back off eventually if she noticed how he didn't want to eee her but here she was, eating chips and sitting on his bed. He stared at her for a little moment before looking away and scoring over to the side opposite of, clearing more space between them.

He couldn't say he was happy or pleased exactly because in the situation he was put in how could anyone feel good. No, it was much easier to be upset and angry even if she was a sight for sore eyes or in this case sore mind and maybe even heart. This would never escape his mouth, he didn't want to give her any ideas or encouragement regarding him because she was much better off without him and he couldn't understand why she couldn't see that.

"No thanks," he mumbled and clenched his fist tightly and closed his eyes briefly trying desperately to wuin his mind and calm his feeling.

He could only do one at once.

"Maritza, why are you still here? I'm sure you can go home now if you wanted. And I suggest you do." He said shortly and huffed for a proper gulp if air. "There's no reason for you to be here anymore."

m a r i t z a
He didn't want her there, and it hit Maritza like a ton of bricks. He actually moved away from her, putting some distance between their bodies, and it felt like he shoved his hand through her chest and ripped her heart out. She managed to keep the hurt off her pretty face, but not out of her mind, but she was too upset to think about how he would hear that.

She licked her lips and opened the Coke for something to do with her hands, and also for an excuse to look away from him. Maritza took a heavy swig of the beverage before she spoke.

"It felt wrong to just leave without seeing you first," she said quietly, unable to make eye contact with him. She was aware now that he could hear thoughts, and would obviously be able to tell how much her heart yearned for his presence, how much she craved his attentions and affections and how all she wanted in the world was for him to reciprocate her feelings.

He would also be able to tell how much she knew he didn't feel the same way as she did and how she knew she wasn't worthy of him. How she understood how he wasn't interested, because she was a stupid, stupid little girl, who just caused trouble wherever she went, and was toxic to be around.

Maritza knew Quinn would be able to sense all of that from her. So she stayed quiet. She didn't need to say it out loud.

Q U I N N
Quinn inhaled a shaky and rather hoarse breath.

"I'm sorry, Maritza. I do like you, I do. But I just can't be with you."

He buried his face in his hands. For a moment, just for a moment, he wished to shut out the outside world so that only he and Maritza remained. He wanted to give a genuine and heartfelt answer that was clear and precise so that she could understand exactly. As cliché as the line was, it wasn't her, it was him.

Alas, what he wished for was the impossible and instead he world around him began to rage just as his feeling and mind were doing.

It could have been an off the chart poltergeist movie in the room. The room was shaking, doors were slamming shut and open at sharp speeds, objects floated out of place and they all spun around and around lime a hurricane. It was destruction and it would be no surprise if the walls began to crumble as well.

Quinn's world was crumbling. It was spinning. And it would keep doing so until there was nothing left.

The others in the room fled, some getting hurt in the process, but Quinn couldn't hear them, not even their thoughts. He wasn't reading minds any longer, but his mind was still raging. It was the schizophrenia tricking him into thinking he was, and such horrible thoughts they were.

m a r i t z a
All of a sudden, the room itself seemed to be tremoring, like a vicious earthquake had ripped through it and now the building was shaking. Things were falling out of cupboards, furniture was rattling, and people were fleeing. Maritza watched as one girl tripped and hit her head on the floor.

Maritza looked frantically at Quinn, about to grab his hand and pull him out of the room, when she realised --

-- he was doing this.

Not intentionally, of course, but he was causing this destruction nonetheless. With his powers. That honestly scared her a little -- he didn't have control of his powers and they were clearly tied to his emotions. Like hers. Meaning, he was dangerous.

"Quinn!" She grabbed his arm and shook him but he didn't seem to hear her. He didn't seem to be able to hear anything -- not her, not the screams of everyone around her. How strong was his hallucination?

Maritza knew that there was one way she could undoubtedly claim his attention, but it could be risky. It could backfire. But ... he had said he had liked her too ...

In a moment of pure recklessness, Maritza moved his hands from his face, cupped it with her own, and kissed him. It was her first kiss.

Q U I N N
Quinn was so shocked by the touch of her lips against his that he not only yanked back to reality, be physically as well. He stared at her unsure of what just happened until the sound of dropping items reached his ears. He glanced away briefly and watched the books Falk to the floor, glass shatter and the furniture in shambles. It was as if a tornado had gone through the room.

He was that tornado.

However, feeling guilty for what he had done did not come first. He looked back to Maritza, frowning. Frowning not because he was mad, but because he was still confused about the events that had just taken place. Or if it was even okay that certainvthibgs had happened, such as her kiss.

"Did you just kiss me?" Asked Quinn quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.

m a r i t z a
For a moment, Maritza was able to enjoy the bliss of Quinn's lips against her own. It felt so good, just as amazing as she had thought it would feel -- just as wonderful and perfect as she had imagined when she had dreamed of kissing him. It was so glorious that she almost forgot that he didn't want her.

Almost.

He pulled away, and Maritza realised what she had just done. She dropped her hands and pulled away, also, suddenly incredibly flustered and mortified at her own actions. She had kissed Quinn, without permission, when he had been in a vulnerable state, and she immediately knew that this wasn't going to end well for her. She had done the wrong thing. She wouldn't be surprised if he yelled at her for it.

"Yeah," she mumbled, reaching up to brush her hair out of her face. She was so mortified that she couldn't meet his gaze, and a deep red flush crept over her cheeks. She couldn't even move -- she made herself as small as possible, wrapping her arms around her legs and propping her chin on her knees, unable to look at him. She'd just take whatever he gave her. She deserved it.

"I'm sorry."

Q U I N N
Quinn watched her curl up into a practical ball with a peculiar look.

"I guess you really never had a boyfriend before." He pinched his lips, looking away for a moment, falling silent. His opinion hadn't changed because it was fact. She would be so much better off without him, he was a mess, a dangerous, out of control mess. And he honestly couldn't understand why she could not see that she was not the problem, but him.

He also didn't understand why she liked him either. She was gorgeous and could get anyone she wanted if she made the right move. Instead, she went to him who was pushing her away and a literal nobody. There lifestyles were so different too.

But she liked him.

He licked his lips, the her lips she had kissed and sighed. He was so tired of the world around him, trying not to be a bother and trouble to the people around him, it was so hard. So, he just let it go.

"Stop apologizing, don't tell yourself that you're stupid and unworthy because that's untrue and you know it otherwise I wouldn't like you. And I do like you and want to be with you. There's just so many reasons that I shouldn't."

He swallowed hard, looking directly at her face and briefly into her eyes.

"It's stupid of me but we can try ... To be together."

m a r i t z a
Maritza couldn't make eye contact with him, not while he accurately stated that she'd never had a boyfriend and not even when he said he liked her and wanted to be with her. She knew what would follow -- yeah, he wanted to be with her, but there was something in the way, or there was some reason they shouldn't be together, or he was dangerous. She'd seen enough romance movies to know how this was going to end for her.

Well, Maritza had thought she had known how this was going to end. Apparently, she couldn't have been more wrong.

Her head only snapped up to meet Quinn's gaze when he said he'd try to be with her. He would try to have a relationship with her. Immediately, her eyes explored and searched his face for any hint of indescrepancy, any sign that he was lying. But she found none, and she wasn't surprised, because Quinn had never lied to her before. Why would he start now?

"Really?" Maritza breathed, speaking quietly as if she was afraid that if she raised her voice too much, the moment would melt away and be replaced with reality. Slowly, Maritza shifted so she was seated right beside him, her legs folded under herself as she looked at him intently, but with hopefulness in her eyes.

"You ... you want to be with me?" He had literally just said it but she needed to be reassured once more.

Q U I N N
Quinn clenched and unclenched his fingers on the bed sheets, watching her entire reaction. His nerves were bad, they always had been bad without medication half of the time. But sitting here, with Maritza and making a huge and serious decision only made it worse. And he had no idea if he was doing the right thing or not. He was just doing what he wanted to do and obviously that was being with her.

"Well, I wouldn't have said of I didn't mean it." His fingers once again curled and clenched the bed sheets as he stared her in the face. "Yes, I do want to be with you."

Slowly, he released his grip on sheets they sat and instead held her hand. He felt a sense of security, comfort and warmth doing so. Really, Maritza was all he had left in this world, or that's what it felt like. He lost his family and knowing he'd probably never get to see his sister again tore his heart into shreds. All of his friends from Horizon had returned home and Leah was so busy she bareld had time for even herself.

So, yes, Maritza was all he had left. He had nothing left to lose but her. He didn't want her to get hurt but avoiding her hadn't worked out and now he had already succumbed yo her and his own ways and sentiments.

"I'll go to Mexico with you," he was still unsure about staying there but he would go, if even for a little while to be with her.

m a r i t z a

This was all a dream. There was no way that what Maritza was hearing was the truth. There was no way that Quinn Evans was confirming that he did want to be with her, Maritza de la Fuenta.

But, she wasn't dreaming. She was very much awake and Quinn really did just take her hand. He really did just confirm that he wanted to be with her. He really did just confirm that he reciprocated her feelings.

And he really did just say he'd go to Mexico with her.

Maritza's brown eyes went saucer wide and she sat frozen for a few moments, before lurching forward and wrapping her arms around his shoulders in a tight hug. She buried her face in his shoulder and held on for dear life as she processed what he had just said. He was going to Mexico with her. He wanted to be with her.

She had never been happier.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Maritza gushed excitedly as she turned her head to kiss him on the cheek, before blushing a little and returning her face to his shoulder. "Oh my God -- this is unbelievable."

She didn't need to voice her thoughts, he could hear them. She was going home -- and she was taking the newest addition to her family with her.

Q U I N N
For the one or two hours he had spent in Mexico, Quinn decided that he didn't like it.

The climate was sweltering hot and humid, and even more so considering it was the summer. And the sun was out, beaming down on the land harshly. It was a massive change from what he was used to. And sadly, Quinn didn't tan without sunscreen, no, he burned, and rather easily too.

So, the blonde had made sure his skin was not exposed as to not be burned. He wore black, a color he learned that was best to wear in hot weather. He had his dark fitting jeans on along his black and gray long sleeved shirt, baseball cap and fingerless gloves. He bent over to tie the laces of his high top and sighed.

He also wasn't very familiar with the culture around him, the language he was fine on. He had studied and mastered at least seven different languages in school, it probably had to do with his powers. But he didn't think that the country was one he could see himself living in, visiting, yes.

he didn't say all this to Maritza, he didn't want to disappoint her anything. He made a conscious decision to give it a try or just stay for a little while, for their sake.

Plus, it couldn't be too bad, right? She lived here ...

"Ugh, it's hot." He fixed his cap on his head.