Mind Games (lxngdon and MaryGold)

m a r i t z a
Maritza was so overjoyed, so elated and so ecstatic that she, at first, didn't even notice Quinn pull away and put a small amount of distance between himself and her and Patrick. She only noticed when he mentioned the medication, which she frowned at at first. Why the hell would he still want his meds? Had he grown addicted to them throughout his time in the hospital?

Then, she realised that he might very well have actual problems, and it wasn't like he was going home to his family. His mother was here. Maritza felt bad.

She leaned over Patrick, who grunted in protest, opened the window and threw her cuffs at one of Zeke's men to get his attention. "Ow! What the hell?"

"Are you guys getting the medications? Some people still need them."

The guy sighed. "We'll get the meds, get back in the bus."

Maritza closed the window, allowed Patrick to snuggle up next to her again and reached over to touch Quinn's shoulder gently. "You okay?"

Q U I N N
"Yeah, thanks." Quinn forced a smile and sighed deeply through his nose. He glanced out the once, watching the dark and gloomy clouds. It was sort of weird that the day appeared so when it was probably the happiest day possible for the people on and boarding these buses.

When it started to really rain he turned away from the window. Usually, he found the drizzling of the rain calming but in this moment there was no way he could feel relaxed. He clasped his hand tightly.
"It's sort of overwhelming, you know? Or not. I don't know." He told her.

"I have literally no idea what happens from here." At least for himself. Everyone else was probably going home. He would most likely never see his family again, his little sister.

m a r i t z a
Maritza bit her lip. She had no idea how Quinn could be feeling or what he was going to do. She had a family. Patrick had a home he was going to. Quinn didn't. Well, he had a family, but his mother was working for some malevolent force and Maritza didn't even know about his sister. She had no idea what he was going to do.

Well, no. She had an idea. She just didn't know if he would agree to it.

She waited until the buses were on their way before she carefully slid out of Patrick's grasp. The boy pouted and reached out for her like a child. He was really very immature for his age, but Maritza was in too good of a mood to complain or tell him off so she let it slide this time. She moved over to sit a little closer to Quinn, bit her lip again and looked up at him.

"Remember when I said you could come to Mexico with me?" she reminded him in a murmur. "Well, you still can, if you want to."

Q U I I N N
"I'll think about it." And he would, but the possibility of him going and staying there was terribly slim. There was nothing there for him. And everything was too different compared to home, the climate, culture, the people. And no offense to Maritza but her family was running a cartel. Not ideal.

Once again he sighed heavily, leaning back in his seat and looked to the roof of the bus. He never suffered from motion sickness, so, he was sure the sick feeling settling in his stomach was from something else in entirely. He grimaced and closed his eyes briefly.

"Are you okay?" Leah asked, walking toward the group in the back. She frowned in obvious concern for Quinn. She sat on his other side and hand him a bottle of tablets along with a water bottle. "I thought you might need these. Can't have you freaking out on the bus."

Quinn didn't hesitate for a moment to take the medicine she handed him. "I didn't see you get on."

"I know."

m a r i t z a
Maritza, for a reason she could not explain, not even to herself, really wanted Quinn to come to Mexico with her. She had formed a bond with him over the past days, and he had helped her, so much, in achieving her dream of going home. She felt like she owed him, but also that she would be sad if they parted.

When Leah arrived, Maritza felt her stomach flip with something that she didn't recognise. All she knew was that she wasn't happy that Leah was talking to Quinn. She knew this was stupid and irrational since she owed Leah big-time for everything that she had done, but still ... she felt an overwhelming wave of possessiveness because someone else was talking to her friend.

And Quinn was talking back. Patrick, who had taken Maritza's hand again to console himself, yelped when it burned up.

"So where are we going?" Maritza asked Leah, wedging her way into the conversation even if she hadn't been invited. Patrick pouted and grabbed at her hand, and she let him take it just so he'd shut up.

Q U I N N
"Brighton," answered Leah, folding her arms and leaning back in her seat. She looked ahead, watching the other passengers on the bus chatter. It was easier to let loose when they were no longer being held captive. When things were finally looking up for each and everyone, most of everyone.

"What's in Brighton?"
Quinn asked, slumping his shoulders. The medication had yet to kick in, but just knowing he had some made him feel a wee bit better.

"Our headquarters." She replied with an obviously proud smile, but it slowly dripped away as she went on. "You know, Quinn, you can stay with us if you want. You wouldn't be the only one to stay."

She gazed at the less energetic ones on the bus, the ones with no real he'd to return to. That somehow made him feel worse to see that. He was probably to sympathetic.

"Oh. I'll think about it."
Was a he could mumble.

"And, anyway, no one is actually going home immediately. There's some precautions along with some other things that need to be done. It may take a few days."

m a r i t z a
Quinn, stay with Leah and the others? The idea was absolutely appalling to Leah and she was momentarily filled with anger at the possibility, causing Patrick to let go of her hand and scowl at her. She managed to calm herself down enough for him to take it again, though, she was still incredibly agitated, and she wasn't even sure why.

Why did she want Quinn to come to Mexico with her so much? Why did the idea of him staying with Leah and the others who had saved them make her so angry? She knew she'd go home, and she'd be with her family again and she'd be happy, but ... she felt that if she wasn't with Quinn, she would miss him, too. Badly.

Then, she heard Leah say that she couldn't go home immediately.

"What?" she demanded, leaning around Quinn to look at Leah properly. Her hair swung around, too, whacking Quinn on the arm but she didn't notice or pay attention to this. "Wait, what the fuck do you mean, precautions? Why can't we just go home?"

There was no aggressiveness or anger in her tone, just panic. She wanted to go home. Badly. But she was being kept in Brighton for a couple of days?

Q U I N N
"Relax for a moment, Maritza." Quinn advised her. There really was no need to panic if they were all still going home in the end. And where they were going would surely be better than where they had left. So, there wasn't too much to worry about when they thought about it.

Still, he too looked at the English, curious as to why they'd have to wait.

Leah snorted as if it should have been obvious. "A lot of reasons, actually." She crosses her legs and continued. "If we instantly took you home, you'd be caught again just as fast. They'll be expecting you, best to wait. And we've got people all over the place to send back and we can't do it all at once."

"How will you send everyone back?"

"We have our ways."

"So, is that all the reason?"

"No, we need to do medical evaluations on everyone, make sure their okay. We also need to be certain everyone can control their powers or, again, they'll be caught or hurt innocents by accident."

m a r i t z a
The idea of staying in Brighton for a couple of days, maybe a week even, and being poked and prodded and 'evaluated' by a bunch of strangers was horrifying to Maritza. All she wanted was to go home! That was all she had wanted for the entire time she had been stuck in that hellhole of a hospital. Now, she had to wait a couple of days? She had to spend a couple more days away from her mother and brothers and sisters?

"But -- I can control my powers!" she protested. "I've always been able to -- the only reason they fucking caught me in the first place was because I set someone's house on fire, and I meant to do that, it wasn't an accident so it wasn't like they caught me slipping up."

"Ma'am," said another of Zeke's people, who came to the back of the bus and offered Maritza a bottle of water. "Just relax. Please."

"But ..."

Maritza trailed off and felt her panic fade away, only to be replaced by utter calm and bliss. In the back of her mind she knew this guy must have some kind of power that let him manipulate emotions but she was too calm to care or protest what he was doing.

"She's ... cooled down," Patrick stated, running his fingers on her skin as if it weren't hot anymore.

"Yes. She'll wake up in Brighton ..."

Not two seconds after the man said this, Maritza drifted off to sleep.

Q U I N N
The headquarters in Brighton was a huge mansion that resided next the beach. And if Quinn was to completely honest, it really wasn't bad at all. He actually felt comfortable in the place in spite of having to share a room with s couple others. But it was a hell of a lot better than having to spend hours along in his hospital room back at Horizon.

They had physically escaped the place, but for Quinn, mentally, he still felt trapped. No, he felt worse than that. He was living in comfort, surrounded by none other than friends and yet, he couldn't have felt more upset with himself, his life, everything. And he didn't know how to fix it, yet alone why he fell into such a stoop.

What made things worse was his powers. They were kicking back in full time without the medicine to surprised it. And it was clear to see he had no control over it. He couldn't stop hearing the multiple voices in his head, which he had learned were thoughts, other people's thoughts, and nor could he had stop the poltergeist like activity he 'caused.

He was dangerous to others and himself.

"Okay, Quinn, one walk and your back."
He told himself softly. Talking to himself had been an habit he had before he entered Horizon and it had returned.

At the moment he was taking a walk along the shore of the beach. It was a gloomy day with clouds that looked ready to rain, so the beach was indeed vacant. It was calming to have it to himself, there were no thoughts that were planted into his brain.

m a r i t z a

The first thing Maritza did when she woke up was panic and almost set her bed on fire, but a nice Greek lady, who she found also had the ability of pyrokinesis, stepped into her bedroom and calm her down. She explained that her name was Ekatarina, and that she was in the home base of the organisation that had come to Horizon to break the patients out.

Maritza asked when she could go home. Ekatarina said about a week.

Maritza asked where Quinn Evan was. Ekatarina replied and said he had gone for a walk. Maritza asked if she could go and find him. She was granted permission.

She was also given new clothes, which she appreciated. She put on clean underwear, a new bra, a plain white crop top that showed off her belly button piercing and black skinny jeans. She went outside into the cool Brighton air and looked for Quinn.

She found him, and her heart swelled with happiness. That weirded her out. Why did she care so much where Quinn was?

Then she realised. She had a crush.

Fuck.

Maritza pushed that out of her mind and ran up to Quinn, falling into step beside him. "Hey."

Q U I N N
Quinn heard her before he saw her. The sound of her shoes against the wet squishy sand, but most importantly her thoughts. He only caught the last bit; Crush. He tried not to dwell on it or the meaning of it because these were someone else's privates thoughts. Her thoughts. And she was his friend, to read the would be not only rude but breaking some sort of trust. It was a form of eavesdropping, but worse.

He didn't turn around but slowed his pace so that she was walking beside him. Naturally, with him being much taller, his steps were much larger, so he was exceptionally slow. He didn't mind his alone time was being hijacked, though.

"I'm glad to see you awake." He smiled weakly but he was happy to see her up and active.

The cool weather felt nice against his skin, it reminded him of home which he missed so desperately.
"Did you get something to eat?"

m a r i t z a

"I'm glad to see you too,"
Maritza said to her friend -- crush -- as they walked down the Brighton beach. After a few moments she officially declared that she did not like this place, on the grounds that the weather here was far different to that of Mexico, her home. Of course, the weather never affected Maritza anyway due to her power, but still, she missed the real sun.

"Oh, no, I haven't eaten anything but I'm not hungry," she said honestly. She was too hyped up and antsy to be hungry. She practically hopped from foot to foot, unable to keep a regular and paced step as she and Quinn made their way down the beach. God, she wanted to go home to Mexico so badly.

She looked up at Quinn. "How're you feeling?" she asked him. "Leah gave you meds on the bus, are they helping you?"

Q U I N N
"About that ... " Quinn ruffled his gold blonde hair, feeling slightly frustrated. "I'm only allowed to take them at night now, before bed."

While she was asleep, Quinn had been one of the first to have his medical evaluation done. And they unburied some things he wished were untrue. Like the fact that he actually was indeed schizophrenic and it was his powers that actually drove him there. The medication did make the hallucinations go away, but his powers as well.

Apparently, suppressing his abilities could lead to more danger. Especially when they grew with every passing day, inch by inch and one day it would just overflow and be a complete disaster. Being weaned off the medication was, with the stress all that was happening in his life, the paranoia creeping back into his system and the visions following close behind was the absolute worse.

Quinn was lost.

"Just at night so I don't ruin everything with powers while I'm asleep."

m a r i t z a

Maritza looked up at Quinn in alarm when he told her the nature of his medication. She didn't know much about actual medicinal drugs or mental illnesses, but she knew that if someone with mental issues couldn't take their medication ...

And she didn't want to think about the effects that could ensue with someone who had supernatural powers such as Quinn's.

"I ... I'm not sure what to say," she said, stopping them both and bringing her much-bitten nails up to her dainty lips. Her hair was flying and tousling out in the wind behind her, but she paid it no notice. She was too worried about Quinn, who she really really liked, and his issues.

"You know, I don't even know what your powers are," she pointed out. All she knew was that his mother had said he was a psychic, but that wasn't as clear-cut as Maritza's pyrokinesis or Patrick's invisibility.

Q U I N N
Kicking the wet sand with the toe of his foot, he sighed deeply. "Telekinesis, telepathy." Answered Quinn in short. His powers, his abilities wasn't something he was precisely proud of. He couldn't even control them all that well, it felt at times they controlled him more than he ever could.

"So, yeah, I'd be careful what I'd think if I were you," He shrugged a shoulder innocently. And he was innocent, it wasn't as if he was purposely reading the thoughts of those around him. Quinn didn't even know the full depth of his power and he himself was suffering from it.

"I can't really control it, so it's pretty lame. I wish had something more simplistic or nothing at all." Nothing at all would have been a hell of a lot better because he wouldn't be in the place he was now.

m a r i t z a

If Maritza had have been capable of paling or blushing, she would have been white. He could hear thoughts. So, obviously, could he tell that she liked him!? Maritza had never had a crush before so she didn't know if that was what she wanted to happen. And she also wouldn't have any idea of what to do if Quinn didn't like her back.

She just knew that it would absolutely destroy her.

She decided to push those thoughts out of her mind and opened her mouth to ask another question when she heard a crunch and turned her head to see Ekatarina come over, followed by a doctor in a white coat. Maritza immediately scrambled behind Quinn like a frightened cat.

"Maritza, it's time for your test."

Maritza grabbed Quinn's arm and frantically shook her head. "No, no, I don't want to --"

"Honey, you need --"

"No!"

"The sooner we get the test done, the sooner we can send you home," said the doctor.

Maritza pressed her forehead against Quinn's back and closed her eyes. "Can you come with me?" she whispered to her friend.

Q U I N N
"Sure."

Quinn stepped to the side so that she was no longer behind him but at his side. He reached out and took a hold of her hand. He breathed in the cool air once more and tried to quiet his mind. When he did so, he followed both the doctor and Ekatarina.

"Don't worry too much,"
He instructed her as he strolled behind the other two inside the mansion and down the halls. "The first half is like any ordinary medical check-up in addition with x-rays and blood test. The second they'll just need to your abilities."

They walked down stairs to a basement like area, but looked to be the inside of a clinic. A few others were walking out after being tested and Quinn let go of her hand when they entered the rikm they'd start the test in.

The doctor left to gather his equipment and since he didn't want the room to be too crowded, Ekaterina left as well. So, with the two of them being the only one's in the room, he sat on the examination bee beside her.

m a r i t z a
Maritza's heart almost exploded when Quinn took her hand. She clutched it tightly, her skin hot because she was so nervous. In her life at home, doctors were almost never seen, because most of her family were wanted by the police. And Maritza never got sick anyway, so she had absolutely no experience with medical professionals.

In the examination room, she was actually shaking as she looked around to the difference pieces of equipment that were totally new and scary and foreign to her. She reached out and frantically grabbed Quinn's hand when he let go. She needed him. She needed his comfort and presence and she'd run out of the room right now if she didn't have it.

"I - I - I - I'm scared," she whispered, looking at Quinn and shuffling over closer to him. She closed her eyes for a moment and leaned her head against his shoulder. "Please don't go."

Q U I N N
Quinn was truly surprised to how scared she was. He was so much more familiar with with her tough and harsh self. But this ... this part of her he had yet to witness until now. She was genuinely afraid and he wasn't clueless as to why, he had read her mind, unintentionally, of course.

"There isn't a thing to be afraid of,"
Quinn assured her but didn't move from his spot. He hadn't planned to move since he first sat there. If sitting around, near her would give her some fork of comfort, than he wouldn't question it. He'd just sit and watch.

"Okay? Just wait and see."

The door opened shortly after and the doctor entered, he was a Swedish man in his mid thirties and his name was Dr. Brooks. The man had been a part of the group for years, in fact, he knew the leader who orchestrated it all. But that talk was kept small and short.

He went to work giving Maritza a standard checkup. Quinn put his hand on her knee each time throughout the whole thing, he wanted her to stay calm and for the doctor not to be burned. After getting down to the last basic step of checking her heart beat with his stethoscope it was time to get a sample of her blood to be tested.

Dr. Brooks prepared the needle.