Mind Games (lxngdon and MaryGold)

m a r i t z a
Maritza scowled but nodded, she needed to control herself if this plan was going to work. She crossed her arms over her chest and peeked around the corner to see a large collection of guards. She had no idea how Leah was going to distract all of them, but she hoped she could do so. They needed to escape. Maritza needed to go home.

It was decided that Maritza and Patrick would leave via the fire exit and wait under Quinn's mother's window, Patrick easing it open, then Quinn signalling that Maritza should come inside and take care of things. She was more than happy too, and glad that the skills she had picked up from her life in such a hostile situation were going to come in handy.

"Okay," she said, opening the fire escape and letting Patrick out first. "Good luck, guys."

Maritza dropped to the grass and followed Patrick around to the low window of the hospital director's office. Patrick disappeared from their physical view and began to try and figure out the window. Maritza glued herself to the wall and just listened for now.

Q U I N N
"Do you think you can - " Before he could even finish asking his question to the girl beside him, meant to be the distraction she walked ahead. Seeing the security, he wondered if he should have recruited more than just her, but he needed to the circle small for a bigger chance of success.

He walked right passed them, casually and round the corner. And then came the scream, it was full of terror and fear. and the guards weren't the only one's surprised by it, he was too until he assumed it was Leah, so he sat back and let them go investigate the source.

Yet, one stayed behind, looking in the direction curiously. He wasn't budging.

"Just go," Quinn grumbled. Strange enough, he did. He went and left the hall empty and his mother's office unguarded. He wasted no time in acting on the moment. Carefully, he knocked on the door and his mother answered, raising an eyebrow.

"What are you -"

"I have something to ask you." He quickly said. She opened her mouth to protest but he beat her to it. "About Lucy." Something she couldn't refuse.

She sighed and allowed him in, closing the door behind him. She moved around the room to pour a glass of water. With her back turned, he looked to the window.​

m a r i t z a
"Go now," Patrick whispered, his voice coming out of nowhere. He had pried the window open just a tad, and it would be up to Maritza to break in and take care of things. Maritza poked her head up over the windowsill, saw Quinn's mother with her back turned, and took her chance.

She lifted herself up, pulled up the window and slipped inside. She was stealthy and quiet, barely making a noise as she dropped to the floor and hooked an arm around the doctor's neck. Despite being absolutely tiny she was able to hold her own and perform a trick her older brother had taught her -- grip a certain spot on the back of the person's neck and hold it until they fell asleep.

Quinn's mother slid to the floor and Maritza let go, pushing a hand through her own hair and sighing heavily. She looked to the file cabinets and found the 'D' drawer so she could locate her own file without batting an eyelash, as if she hadn't just incapacitated a fully grown woman with ease.

"She'll be fine," she assured Quinn.

Q U I N N
"Sure." Quinn moved over to his mother's limp body and sighed. He was not quite used to any of this yet, but, he didn't let any of it get in the way of what needed to be done. Carefully and gently, he moved her body so that she was sitting with her back against the wall.

"Sorry." Whispered Quinn to his unconscious mother, but he was quick to move on.

He had only been her office a hundred times for multiple different reasons, mainly being involved or 'causing trouble. So, he knew what files he wanted to look at first, though, it didn't matter to him, which ones first. He jerked a drawer open and looked through the patients' files.

Not to his surprise, there was nearly nothing about illnesses, mental illnesses in any way. Instead, he found the history of their backgrounds, their lives, personal information, the information he had no idea how anyone outside their lives would be able to obtain. Most importantly, their abilities and the level of their powers as well as progress along with personal notes and observations from their doctors, or whoever they really were.

"More like lab rats than patients ... " He mumbled underneath his breath.​

m a r i t z a

While Quinn was reading other people's files, Maritza was reading her own.

NAME: Maritza de la Fuenta
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Mexico
FAMILY: Deceased father, living mother, ten living siblings, seven living nieces and nephews, fourteen living cousins.

Born to drug-dealing parents, raised in a hostile environment. Prone to violent outbursts, evident of the conditions of her childhood --

Maritza let out a sob and threw the file onto the desk. She had no idea how these fuckers had known all these things about her, but she didn't like it. Not at all. No one had the right to poke around in her history like that.

Maritza grabbed a jug of water and tipped the contents onto Dr Evans' head. When the woman woke up, Maritza grabbed her by the front of the shirt, dragged her to her feet and threw her against the wall in a very aggressive and violent motion. Ripping off her damaged cuffs, Maritza conjured a ball of fire in one hand and tossed it into the wall beside the woman, making sure not to hurt her but to get her point across.

"What the fuck is this place?" Uncharacteristically, Maritza was crying as she confronted her kidnapper. Because that was what she was. A kidnapper. "Why did you bring me here? How did you know all that shit about my family?"

Q U I N N
Quinn looked away from the files in his hands and to Maritza. He was shocked that she purposely woke his mother and to what, force an answer or two out of her? He didn't blame her for wanting more answers, but this was not the way to go. More importantly, it wasn't a part of the plan they had concocted.

"Maritza! What the hell are you doing?!" He hissed, dropping what was in his hands.

She snorted, Dr Evan snorted and then she smiled as if she found it all very amusing. And knowing her, she probably genuinely did find it funny. The blonde woman brushed her drenched hair strands away from her face and somehow managed to stay cool and look suave despite the circumstances of the situation.

"It's cute, really. That you think you're actually a threat to me. You're not."
Her smile dropped, and with one look the guest seats turned and she sent both Maritza and Quinn flying into those seats. Once they were there, they found themselves unable to move a muscle.

"I am under no obligation to tell you anything." She shrugged off her white coat and sat on top of her desk facing the teenagers. "But I will tell you this, I know a lot more things about you and you're family than what's on those papers. In fact, I know things about you that you don't even know yourself."

"Well, shit."
Quinn found that he was at least able to talk. "Fuck" would have been more appropriate for the situation they were facing now.

Dr. Evans looked to the open window, "Patrick, if I were you, I'd take a seat while I'm asking nicely."

m a r i t z a

"NO! No no no no no no no--"

Maritza struggled against the invisible bonds that kept her tied to the chair. She couldn't move at all, other than her mouth, but she fought anyway, trying her hardest to escape the hold of the evil woman in front of her. So she was one of them. She had taken her own kind and kept them in a cage like lab rats.

Maritza watched as Patrick materialised and nervously climbed in through the window. He sniffled and walked to the seat beside Maritza, who was now swearing violently in Spanish, and sat down, hugging his arms to his chest.

Maritza realised her efforts were futile and she gave up, slumping and turning her head towards Quinn. "I'm so sorry." Tears were flowing down her cheeks and pooling on her collarbones, though they evaporated as soon as they touched the boiling hot skin. She was miserable. They had almost gotten out, and she had fucked that up.

Q U I N N
Quinn couldn't think of anything to say between the mess up planned and the fact that his mother was like the rest of the patients in the hospital. He didn't even know how to feel. He was so lost and confused and simply sick. And maybe he should be worrying about what would happen to them next, but he was so stuck on the here and now.

Seeing the near crying child sit down, snapped him out of his trance, somewhat. He glared at Dr. Evan, his mother. He couldn't move and neither could the other two. They were her own little play dolls for to do with what she wished.

"Now Quinn, you shouldn't glare at your mother." Dr. Evan chastised her son, crossing her legs and sighing.

"How could you do this!? How could you be so evil!?

His mother only laughed. It was a dry and bitter laugh and she could only shake her head and fold her arms. Staring down at the three, mainly Maritza and Quinn she snorted. "You think you understand now that you've learned some things, but you really haven't. There is still so much you are blind to."

"I'm not evil, nor am I necessarily good, buy the people who I work under may be more close, if they aren't already, to evil."

"I don't get it."

"Of course not and I don't have time to explain everything to you. A storm is about to hit. So, I am going to let you go. All of you."

m a r i t z a
"Y - You ... what?"

Maritza was completely flabbergasted -- she sat in her chair, still for once, and gaped at Quinn's mother as she processed her words. She was letting them go? What did she mean, a storm was about to hit? Who did she work for? What was this place? Maritza had a hundred thousand questions swirling around in her mind and she had no idea what to ask first, or if she should even ask anything at all.

Maybe she should just be quiet for once. Dr Evans was probably doing a big thing, letting them go, and she didn't want to fuck that up since she had already fucked up their original plan. Though, maybe that wasn't such a bad thing after all.

"You're letting us go home?" Patrick whimpered, looking up at Quinn's mother with a hopeful expression. "R - Really? You're not joking?"

He was so sweet and innocent. Maritza thought he was annoying as shit, but he was sort of adorable.

Q U I N N
"No, I'm not joking. I don't joke. Whether you go home or not is up to you. But today is your one chance to get out of here."
"This is crazy." The blonde murmured.

Quinn couldn't believe a word she said, literally and figuratively. She could he lying to them? She could have some plan up her sleeve. It didn't make sense to just them go now. Why would she even think if doing that now they knew the truth.

And she was tight again, he didn't understand but he desperately wanted to. He wanted to know what in earth she was talking about but as soon as he felt in his bones and limbs that he was able to move at his own will again, he knew that had been dismissed. Quickly, he rose from his seat in case she changed her mind, bust she sat and watched.

"What storm?" Was the first thing he could think to ask. What on earth did she mean by that?

"Some serious shit is about to hit the fan with this storm and a that it'll bring." Dr. Evan pointed out the window where grey heavy clouds were forming.

"How do you know that?"

"Because I'm a psychic and so are you. A very powerful one."

"What-"

"You should go before security returns."

Quinn looked at her, biting his lips, still feeling lost and unsure, but he took her advice and pulled both Maritza and Patrick out of their seats. "Let's go."

m a r i t z a
Patrick was crying with happiness and Maritza had to practically shove him out of the window so he would stop thanking Quinn's mother. Maritza left the woman with a suspicious look but also an appreciative one. She still didn't like the bitch, but she was grateful.

She was going home.

Maritza dropped to the ground after Patrick and waited for Quinn before running with her companions to a nearby cluster of bushes, where they could hide and figure out what the fuck they were going to do from here. They had nothing, no food, no clean clothes and no money. Maritza knew they'd have to get to a town to survive but she didn't know where a town was or how to get to one.

And, weather-wise, a storm was coming. They needed to find shelter or they'd be fucked.

"Do you know where anything is?" she said to Quinn. "I mean, like, a town or a city or anything. I can shoplift us anything we need."

Q U I N N
"Uh, no." Quinn answered, scanning the area carefully and searching for something someone. He was absentminded as he spoke, more focused on his search than the actual escape and the storm that was brewing above. He couldn't put his tongue on it, but there was something unnatural about it, he just didn't what. But he he had an itching suspicion.

"There is no nearby settlement." He had always thought that strange until now. Why build such a successful, efficient and, apparently, famous hospital away from society? Because all of the patients were superpowered people who had the potential of hurting all those around them.

"But we can worry about that later. Right now, we need to figure out how to actually get out of this place."
His mother had let them escape, but it didn't seem the security was and it wasn't as if she was helping them either. What the hell did she mean by there 'one chance to get out'? The guards were already ushering patients inside.

"And we also need to get Leah. She helped too, we can't go without her."
Naturally, he had to speak over the roaring of the booming thunder.

He looked up to see the lightning crack through the sky and back down to see it strike the ground in a powerful hit, spraying dirt everywhere and leaving a dent.

m a r i t z a
When the lightning hit too close for comfort Patrick wailed and hid behind Maritza. He was so much like a child that her sisterly instincts kicked in and she hooked an arm around his shoulders in a comforting manner. Maritza herself was agitated because there was nothing nearby and now they had to go back for someone she didn't even like.

But Leah had helped and Maritza wasn't going to leave her stranded.

"Fuck," she grunted, peeking over the tops of the bushes to see the guards ushering in stray patients. Sooner or later people would notice that they were missing and they would send out a search. They needed to escape before that happened.

"Alright, come on." Maritza pushed Patrick out first, who faded into invisibility but kept his hand in Maritza's so he didn't get lost. She rolled her eyes and crept out after the boy, waiting for Quinn. "D'you know where she is?"

Q U I N N
"Of course I don't." Quinn huffed, looking to the dark clouds once, remaining in his spot. "The last time I saw her was after I walked into mother's office only for our plan to collapse."

He frowned at the last bit. Naturally, he didn't know if things would've gone perfectly or better if they had stuck to the plan but he was sure as they wouldn't be going through this. This was going to be a mess no matter how they approached it.

"Let's get back inside, she had to be somewhere nearby my mother's office."
It only made sense. She had no idea what happened inside the office. For all she knew they could have still been figuring things out.

Quinn looked back at his mother's office window then to a nearby hall window. It was open, but he knew someone would come to shut it eventually with the wind and storm increasing. He made a move toward it before someone could come.

m a r i t z a
The last thing Maritza wanted to do was to go back into the hellish building that was the hospital, but she didn't have any better ideas so she pulled Patrick along with her and gave the small kid a boost so he could climb in first. She went after Quinn and Patrick took her hand as son as she was back in the room. She let him, because they couldn't lose him.

Creeping out of the office, Maritza got Patrick to stick his head around the corner and survey the scene. "There's ... a lot of dust, and ... people, I think? I don't know, it's kind of hard to make out."

"Can you see Leah?" Maritza pressed.

"... Yeah! She's coming this way, but she's got someone with her ... I don't recognise him."

Q U I N N
"Let me see," Quinn peeked around the corner. There was a lot of dust, though, it didn't blind him to everything. As Patrick said, there was people. However, it wasn't the patients or the authorities, it was someone else completely. They all wore black and were clearly different.

He spotted Leah talking talking to the one that seemed to be the leader of the group. He was confused and suspicious, something was going on. And he wasn't sure whether to go out or not.

"Kate is causing the storm to break down the defenses, luckily their more focused on it so we were able to break in easily. Getting out is going to be the hard part." The man explained to Leah.

"I just hope she knows how to aim, K am not getting struck by lightening today." Leah huffed, crossing her arms.

"It'll be fine, where is Dr. Evans?"

"She may or may not be unconscious depending on if ... " She turned slowly, spotting Quinn around the corner. "Quinn!"

She rushed to approach him, but he held his hand up, rejecting approach. "What's going on? Who is that? Who are they? What do you have to do with them?"

"That's Zeke and he's getting us out of the hellhole."
She tried elaborating as Zeke's people moved out, scattering around the hospital. "They're, we're a part of a secret group made up of people like us. Me, I purposely got submitted here, I was undercover for this moment."

Last edited:
m a r i t z a
"You ... what?"

Maritza was at a total loss for words and for once, so was Patrick, who became visible to all and clung to Maritza's side, like she was his mother, even though she was only three years older than him. Maritza herself flickered her chocolate brown gaze between Leah and Zeke, not knowing what to think or how to react.

"You ... you've been undercover?"

"You're getting us home?"

"Patrick, shush."

Q U I N N
"Yeah, well, that's the plan."

"And how exactly?"
Quinn was completely dumbfounded. He never suspected a thing from her, but maybe he should have. At this point, he didn't think he could be surprised by anything any more.

"Quinn, we have powers of all kind on our team. How do you think?" Leah only scoffed, and shook her head as if it was the most obvious thing. And honestly it should have been to him.

"Ha."

"Look, we really don't have time to chat around answering questions. If you want to go home, get on one of the buses out back. We have work to do." Zeke interrupted, not bothering to introduce himself. He pointed to the huge hole in the wall behind him, it looked ad if something blasted straight through it. And all things considered, that could have been exactly it. "You can talk later, we have work to do."

m a r i t z a
Maritza wasn't sure if she should like Zeke or not, but regardless of her opinion on the man, he was helping, and she was incredibly grateful for that. She gave both Zeke and Leah cordial nods and took Quinn's hand in the one that wasn't holding Patrick's, and began to pull them both through the massive hole in the wall.

When they gained sight of the buses, she started to run and Patrick nearly fell over as he tried to keep up. She didn't care. They were going home. They were free.

"Maritza!" Patrick whined as the Mexican girl hauled him onto the bus and ushered him to the back. There were a few people already seated but she ignored them, wedged Patrick in the corner between herself and the window and sat down, pulling Quinn down beside him. Patrick was shivering so she gave him her jacket, and he leaned against her side.

She let him. She was ecstatic.

Maritza was still holding Quinn's hand and she didn't let go. Her skin was boiling hot with excitement. She was going home.

Q U I N N
Quinn quickly pulled his hand out of Maritza's excessively heated one. He was only so lucky he had pulled away before he seriously burned himself. He frowned slightly, looking at his now cooling fingers and scooted away from the other two a little. He wanted to be more secluded, to think, but that obviously wasn't an option on the bus. Besides, he didn't totally want to leave the other two.

Slowly, through the middle in his mind, it dawned on him. He was leaving, he was free, no longer under the ruling of the so called "hospital". It was finally happening after two long years. It was a happy day!

And yet ...

Quinn wasn't happy, if anything he felt a little dead inside. No, he wouldn't miss the hospital, far from it. But he knew for a fact that whatever was ahead wouldn't be the same and not in a good way. Everything was so confusing.

He rubbed his eyes. Whatever medication he had taken earlier was slowly wearing off and it didn't make him feel good at all.

"Ugh ... I hope they have the mind to pick up some meds."