Migma

Status
Not open for further replies.
"O-of course, but...um..." Jexel began turning red from embarrassment. He held up the note with his sleeve to keep his paw hidden, and began to speak. "I...I can't read. I want to know what it says, but I just can't read." He held the note out to her cautiously, trying to avoid eye contact. He was sure it was from Isabelle, but other than that, he hadn't a clue. He was uncomfortable enough bearing the shame of his illiteracy, but this situation made it all a thousand times worse. Waves of heat began to ripple out from Jexel's core due to his difficulty coping with the situation. Doing all he could to suppress the severe discomfort that rose within him was all that kept him still as he waited for a response from the fiery-haired girl.

"Seriously?! Why would Isabelle write you a note if you couldn't read? Gosh. Who doesn't know how to read anyway? Which human community are you from? You need to speak to someone about that." Regina snatched the note from Jexel and began to read it out loud. "Jex, Being held hostage by my parents. I failed school, whatever. I'm being punished for it so I won't be able to see you for a while. I'm ok. Don't worry about me. I just have to do some extra work but I'll get the punishment lifted in no time. Please stay calm. Don't lose control. I miss you...a lot. Wish I were kissing you now. Love, Isabelle. Don't lose control?" Regina said and took a step back. "Anyway. That's what it said. There. Totally feel super uncomfortable right now. Sappy love note for ya. Now...can you please lead the way back to the border? I think I was just bitten by a mosquito." She said rudely, handing the note back to Jexel. There was nothing Regina hated more than to feel uncomfortable, except half-breeds.

"Ah, o-ok" Said Jexel, half laughing at the fact that he just had someone read a love note for him, half unbearably embarrassed at the result. "Follow me. You kinda veered off once you hit the tree line." He said as he led the way back to the community. Trying to make friendly conversation as they walked back was difficult for Jexel. It was the only thing he knew to do in such a strange situation. "So...thanks for the help, by the way. I don't think I got a chance to thank you for saving my life and all, though I've never seen healing magic used that way before." Said Jexel absentmindedly. She really had walked a long way off, and it was taking much longer to get back than he expected. Resisting the urge to rub the back of his head in exasperation, Jexel continued to lead on.

Regina followed close behind Jexel. She hated the wilderness and was anxious to get out. She didn't mind being led by Jexel, if Isabelle trusted him, then she would too. "Yeah well GPS doesn't work out here so I couldn't find my way around. Plus Isabelle's exact directions were 'take this to the wilderness and pin it to a tree." Regina gestured around her, "Woman continuously gives me impossible tasks." They walked for a short while longer before Jexel began speaking again, thanking her for healing him a few days before. "Yeah not a problem. It was nothing. Wait...what do you mean you've never seen any one perform healing magic that way? That's the way we all do it. All human magic users perform the same type of healing magic. There might be some variations in the chants but the process is the same. What are YOU talking about?" Regina was becoming skeptical of Jexel. Why did Isabelle only meet him in the wilderness? Why did he insist on wearing that damn hoodie?

"Hm? I always thought everyone was born with it, like m-" Jexel had only then noticed what he was saying, and quickly shut himself up. He figured it was too late, but he at least had to try and play it off like it was nothing. "I-I mean, uh, I just assumed that since the half-breeds were, uh, born with it...I mean, I dunno, I don't really delve into magic that much, ya know." He continued speaking, becoming increasingly flustered at the fact he was practically digging his own grave at this point. He knew that most humans hated half-breeds, and knowing that Regina practiced magic made matters worse. Who knows what she could do to me! He thought to himself, becoming very cautious. Everything seemed to be unraveling, and still the stupid community wasn't in sight! How directionless was this girl that she even led HIM off track? His hold of his irritation and frustrations was loosening quickly, but he forced himself to stay calm and collected. It's all for her. All for Isabelle. He told himself repeatedly. It helped in the moment, but how long would that last? He could only hope that nothing would happen as he continued to lead the way.

"Don't even mention half-breeds, bunch of uncivilized mutts wishing they were human. Yea, they may be born with magic but most of them don't even know how to use it right. Ugh, I do not want to talk about THEM. But you said you delved in some magic? What type of magic do you practice? Obviously not healing. Isabelle's learning some magic too. She's so bad at it. No wonder she failed school, she can't seem to keep her thoughts straight. What's the deal with the hoodie? Are you deformed under there or something?" Regina tossed question after question at Jexel, still following along. "What the hell is taking so long? I thought you knew this wilderness. Why do you guys only meet in the wilderness anyway? How long have you guys known each other? Do you like love her or something?" She didn't even realize she wasn't giving him time to answer a question before she threw the next out. She just asked the questions as they popped into her mind.

Jexel sighed in relief when Regina bought his bluff, but began getting miffed at the non-stop barrage of questions. Waves of heat began rippling from his body in spades as her voice continued to scrape on his nerves like nails on a chalk-board. Her comments on half-breeds were particularly irritating to him, causing tongues of flame to come from his mouth with every breath. Hearing that Isabelle was practicing magic hardly made a dent in his attitude at the time. Eventually he stopped completely to gather his bearings. Whether Regina had payed attention or bumped into him didn't register to Jexel one bit. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, he began to speak, still not facing the red-head. "Fire..." He began shortly. "Fire, not your problem, no, you got me lost, it's quiet, about a week, and MAYBE!" The force his voice took wilted most of the greenery around the area with the heat it exerted. Another deep inhale and exhale, and he was calm again. "I think I answered all your questions, and if you have any more, I can stand here all night." Sure that he got his point across, he began walking again, assured of his direction.

Regina was taken a back at Jexel's reaction. She stood still for a moment, "Ok, ok. bit touchy I see, ok." She followed behind him in silence for a while, not noticing the wilted greenery around them, but Regina never stood silent for too long. "Fire huh? Guess that's why Isabelle wants to learn to control water. Interesting. Her world is revolving around you and you've only known each other a week? Wow. Crazy. How did you do that anyway? Guys back home have been after Isabelle for months, I think one guys been after her over a year now. She doesn't give anyone the time of day, except you. Some guy in the wilderness. Figures. She always does the opposite of what everyone else is doing." Finally the community border was coming into view. Regina's eyes lit up and ran ahead of Jexel towards her home. Stopping just before the passing of trees that led to the human community, Regina stopped and turned back to Jexel, "Thanks by the way. For helping me get out of there. And take good care of her. Don't break her heart.....oh.....and just so you know, girl code says I have to tell her about you saying 'maybe' to loving her. Just saying." She smiled and ran out of the wilderness and into the human community.

Jexel was still wrapping his head around what she was saying about Isabelle when Regina ran ahead. She hadn't even given him time to reply before skittering away. Finally able to take off his hood and uncover his paws, he breathed a sigh of relief at the following silence. After doing a bit of nighttime hunting and gathering, he settled down in his shelter yet again, determined to wait patiently until Isabelle could come and see him again. But all night he tossed and turned, becoming restless and angry at the nightmares that haunted his every moment of sleep. They reminded him of his failures, and all the people he let down. It was slowly breaking him down again, and there was nothing he could do about it.

The next day Isabelle was walked to class as usual. She was mortified and completely embarrassed by her father's extreme measures. All day she would think of ways to circumvent him and his guards but they were everywhere, looking for her particularly. She was sitting in the classroom, waiting for the professor when Regina came running in, closing the door behind her. "I figured you didn't get the memo that the class was cancelled today." Regina said as she took a seat next to Isabelle.
"No I didn't. My father would've told me. He knows my entire class schedule. This class is 3 hours long. He would've picked me up early. How did that happen?"
"Just thank your savvy friend."
"Gina! What did you do?"
"Help you. Listen I took the note to Lex yesterday."
"Jex" Isabel corrected, "You saw him?!" Some alarm in her voice.
"Yeah whatever. Weird guy. Kept his hoodie on and hid his hands in his sleeves. It was so hot out there! He must've been cold. Anyway, I talked to him for a while cause I got lost and he helped me get back. He's a little rude and I think he smokes Izzy, just saying. He smelled like he just smoked a whole pack of cigarettes. Anyway, I had to read him your note! He can't read. Why would you write him a note?"
"I didn't know he couldn't read! What did he say?"
"Nothing much really, he just smiled but he's totally in love with you Izzy."
"You think so?" Isabelle said with a smile.
"Yup and that is why I plan on helping you. Your dad is being too extreme and you need to see this guy at least once before you have to stay away for a while. You have three hours. Here." Regina pulled a bright red wig from her backpack and some of her clothes. "Change. Everyone is looking for you but no one is looking for me." Isabelle gave Regina a huge hug. They had been best friends for a long time. Regina watched the door so Isabelle could change. She put on Regina's clothes, placed the hoodie over the fiery red wig and put on large black sunglasses. "Good luck" said Regina as Isabelle walked out the classroom, out of the school and past the guards. Once she was in the clear she started running straight into the wilderness.

After a long night of frustration, Jexel had to vent. At the crack of dawn he rushed to his training grounds, hoping to get back into a state of zen. When he got there, fire began pouring from him at an exponential rate. He didn't know why, he thought he was being patient, but something inside of him wouldn't accept it. The blaze grew and grew, never leaving the confines of the meadow, but growing taller instead. He didn't bother to tone it down either. This curse upon his being made him boil over in rage, and he intended to let it all out, one way or another. Isabelle wasn't there, keeping himself busy was problematic enough, and other humans were making life difficult. The pyre of flames grew taller still, outreaching many of the trees in the forest. Jexel let it carry him up into the air, prompting the bristling flames to cover him in a blanket of fiery void. Locking down all his senses, he quickly calmed down and was able to focus once more on what was necessary. Slowly lowering the flames, he descended from the spectacle and let it die down on it's own as he ran back to his and Isabelle's tree. If there was even a chance, he had to be there, no matter what.

The wilderness felt wonderful to Isabelle. The smells and sights were beautiful. The trees. It had only been a few days but that was the longest she had ever gone without running through them and she wanted to savor the moment since she didn't know when would be the next time she would be able to come. She noticed some withered greenery in some patches, a couple of charred plants and she immediately thought of Jexel. Isabelle picked up the pace a bit, she only had three hours and she lost about 30 mins going and another coming back to the border. In actuality she only had 2 hours to spend with Jexel before she had to return. Regina's clothes were not comfortable and neither was the wig but she pushed forward with them on. She didn't want to risk being seen in any way. The fiery red hair would definitely throw someone off. Isabelle zig zagged around, past bushes, over stumps, tripped a couple of times but continued towards their tree. She hoped he would be there. Isabelle ran as fast as she could until she finally made it to the tree.

Jexel's ears perked up as he heard the familiar steps of Isabelle approach. He wasted no time getting down to the ground, rushing the girl with a giant hug that knocked them both down. Making sure that she fell on top of him, he squeezed her tight to make up for their time apart. After helping her up, and brushing her off, he began speaking, his eyes aglow. "Isabelle! I thought you were in trouble! Whats up with the red hair? Why are you dressed like Regina? Tell me everything!" Jexel had to stop and take a breath before he completely freaked out. He had tears in his eyes, and he blushed a bit from his hyped up reaction to her presence. "Um...I missed you, a lot actually." He said, taking her hand in his paws. He had so many questions, but he was just glad to see her at the moment.

Jexel practically tackled her with his hug causing the both of them to lose their balance and fall. Luckily, Isabelle fell on top of Jexel. He hugged her tightly. She enjoyed being in his arms and she missed the feeling terribly. He lifted her off the ground again and dusted her off. She laughed, "Hey you! Slow down. Take it easy. I have two hours. Come on." She climbed on Jexel's back and he took her up the tree again. When they were a safe distance above the ground he let her off. Isabelle took her seat against the trunk and removed the sunglasses and red wig. "Ahh, that's much better." Isabelle let her hair down from the bun and let it flow over her shoulders. "Ok...here goes. I'm definitely in trouble but not in danger if that's what you mean. I go to school to learn new things, or rather my father sends me to school so I can learn to be like him. I starting failing so he's punishing me for it. He's keeping me home until I get my grades up. Which is really hard because I'm really NOT interested in this stuff but..*sigh* I don't know what to do. He's been having people follow me to make sure I go home. A real tyrant he's being. Anyway, that's why I'm dressed as Regina, so I could get away. I missed you soo much. Now come and kiss me before I can't."

Jexel sighed in relief that Isabelle was ok, and at her command he leaned in and locked lips with her. He relished her touch once again, closing his eyes to enjoy the feeling of her lips on his. After a lengthy kiss, he leaned back again with a grin on his face. "So...Regina told me that you were trying to learn magic... Water magic." He said, raising an eyebrow. "I don't suppose that has anything to do with me, hmm?" His tone was joking, but his interest was honest. He leaned in close once again, letting their foreheads and noses touch and locking his amber eyes with hers. "Do you think I'm...dangerous?" He said with a light chuckle, awaiting a response from her.

Isabelle's eyes opened wide, "She told you?! Ugh. Big mouth. Umm....yes. It has everything to do with you. I actually really don't like magic, I'm kinda bad at it." When Jexel leaned in and touched foreheads, that knot in her stomach returned. His breath intermingled with hers, his eyes locked with hers...it made her very nervous. Since he was teasing her, she decided to tease back, "Oh yes, I think you're veerryyy dangerous. I need something that will help extinguish your raging...hot...fire." She laughed lightly and kissed him once more. She really enjoyed kissing him, he was a very good kisser. "What else did my big mouthed best friend tell you?" She asked once they finally came up for air.

He laughed and leaned back as he began to answer. "Well, she said you have many suitors that you don't give the time of day. I don't know whether to be jealous or thankful. Hmm... she also made it obvious that she would gut me like a boar if she knew who I really am. I don't even know if she was paying attention to half the questions she asked, but I'll be honest, it was pretty funny. However, she has the directional sense of a leaf in the wind. Now, from the brief time we spent together, I know she said something about me to you, am I right?" He grinned again, eager to hear what Isabelle had to tell him. As good of a friend as she had been to both of them, Jexel found Regina to be downright hilarious. His eyes squinted from mirth as he waited for a response.

She laughed, "Wow. She really is a big mouth. Let's see. I think every guy in town is in love with me. I'm beautiful." She teased him some more before continuing, "I think you should be jealous...I could leave you for any one of them. They would jump at the chance to be with such a woman." She batted her eyes at him. "Or it might have to do with the fact that I'm the mayor's daughter and will take over once he resigns. Either or." She just shrugged. She never knew any of the other's guy's true intentions so she never gave any of them the time of day. Just wasn't worth the time for her. "Oh and don't mind Regina. She's just like every other human when it comes to half-breeds and she can be pretty offensive, mostly because she says what she's thinking in real time. Gets her in trouble all the time." Being best friends with Regina had its positives but her mouth was also a negative. She was always there for her though so she put up with it. At Jexel's last question Isabelle blushed red and giggled but decided to tease him some more. "She did tell me something. She told me you are soo in love with me. You are head over heals, over the moon, can't live without me, etcetera etcetera etcetera."

At hearing Isabelle tease about leaving him, Jexel felt his heart break a bit, and a massive visible heat wave rushed out of him, wilting some of the leaves around. He recovered fast enough, but it hit him deep even joking about it. He already figured that she was the daughter of someone important, judging by the way she was followed the entire day. At her answer of his last question, Jexel's face became plastered with red. "Well...those glasses of hers must work better than her ears." He said shyly. He didn't bother telling Isabelle what he really said. He knew that he absolutely adored her, and no words could change that. "She didn't say anything else? She kept pestering me about my hoodie. I nearly thought she was gonna rip it off herself." He said with a laugh.

Isabelle saw the heat wave as he passed through her and wilted the leaves around them. "Umm, what was that for? Did I say something wrong?" She was unsure why he did what he did, it made her a little nervous. "Um...yea...she did say something about the hoodie. She thought you were weird and she also said she thought you smoked since you smelled like you did. And I guess she was on to something because you have been on a roll lately with just burning things up. Is everything ok? Do I have to worry?" She was worried about him, most of the time. It was always in the back of her mind that he might lose control again and burn down the wilderness or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.