Lucerne, the City of Life

Phoenix nodded. "Yeah, I know right?" He chuckled and propped his elbows up on the table leaning forward a bit. "Some people have too many problems in this world," he shakes his head. "Too many people hold on to the past and never move forward." He laces and unlaces his fingers.

August had been putting together a slideshow that, if anything, looked like an advertisement. He replied to the E-mail formally the way he learned in one of his high school computer classes. The presentation was overall calm and soothing, he was using many shades of light blue. Sometime in the presentation, there were two videos: The first of him training Beige, a dark male dolphin. The second was a short clip of Beige's performance a couple months later. August figured if he had more cute animals in the show rather than humans, the school would be pleased.
He checked the time, then decided to work for five more minutes. Sleep was drifting into him.

((hey, so sorry ive been gone so long...had a family vacation in a pace with no wifi. im back and ready to post again. AND im urging everyone to get their characters to sleep so Darkness and any others whose characters have been out of the loop can be active again!))

Serenity smiled, "perhaps i am a bit lucky? but...one can never tell, especially if you dont believe in luck." she said with a smirk, beginning on her coffee cake. she gave a gentle, relaxed look as the sweet mixed with the bitter in her mouth. "ahh...nothing beats the taste of authentic Italian desserts. what did you get?" she asked on a more casual note.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emeralds smile brightened, "out of all the strangers, you might be my long lost twin!" she chuckled "i think that people need to see that they cant changes the past, but they've got a whole future ahead of them, so why not do something spontaneous!" she put a finger to her chin in a cliche thinking pose, "spontaneous like sitting down to dinner with a stranger!" she laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elri gave a small, reassuring smile. "as cliche as it sounds....think of a child, you study up in prosthetic, and give an injured child an arm. that kid goes on to play some sort of sport, and you make their life better, so they dont have to feel that they are a freak or that they arent worth anything the way you do now, and really think about it, you mad your arm, you made it work, thats not something i can do... i wont ever be able to see again."

[MENTION=1127]Darkness Dies[/MENTION], [MENTION=3415]NorwayFOO[/MENTION], [MENTION=4732]Phoenix Astin[/MENTION], [MENTION=4503]Kaera[/MENTION]

He still couldn't speak much after she continued. Honestly what could he have said? What should he say? Should he swallow his pride, what little he had, and say she was right? Should he ignore her and leave? What should he do... "I..." He thought for a second more. He tried to prod his foggy mind for the right thing to say, "I... yeah..." Was all he could manage. Maybe she was right, maybe he really just needed to be off of the alcohol and maybe he should try to do something... "Right."

Elri nodded, "sometimes you need a wake up call." She held out her hand, hesitated, then gave him a pat on the shoulder. "Its getting late, and I should go. Good luck" she smiled, then walked away, he dog following after her.

Azalea quickly brushed her brown, waist-long messy hair into place. She rummaged around in her drawer for a hair clip. The clock was ticking, and her time to get ready was running out. Azalea gave up and started looking for a hair bobble instead, but still she found nothing. "God damn it, where's a hair bobble when you need it?" she mumbled as she thrust her hand in and out of all the drawers in her room. After five minutes of fiddling, she sighed, frustrated, looking at herself in the mirror. Her hair drooped down over her face. Azalea put it behind her ear, and smiled a fake smile. "I'm okay," she whispered to herself "I'm going to be okay."
~ .. ~ .. ~ .. ~
Anthony looked at Beth. She looked like an ordinary girl. Like all the others. Short, black hair tied back in a tight ponytail, wearing the school uniform. Glasses, which were a little too big for her small face, and glittery brown eyes. Beth looked shy, and rather anxious, but now that she'd asked Anthony to 'talk to her in private for a minute' there was no turning back. Her cheeks went red as she looked at him and slowly said that she wants to go out with him. Anthony sighed. "Look, I've said no to your friends and almost every girl in this school. What makes you think I'll say yes to an ordinary girl like you?" said Anthony, and watched her run off in tears.

Phoenix smiles and nods. "Exactly like that!" He yawns softly, "it's getting pretty late. I probably should go. Got school tomorrow." He says standing up. "It was nice meeting you, Emerald. I hope we can do this again."

He watched as she walked away and sighed. He would go back to his 'home' aka an old building that was abandoned and he wasn't kicked out of yet. It had a war bed and he was always able to find a shower or some form of bathing each day so he would be fine when trying to get a job. He figured he could at least... Well it didn't mater, he would try to get a job and see if Elri was right. If not he could always go back to alcohol.

Emerald chuckled, "so do I, we are technically no longer strangers after all!" She said, rising from her seat and setting some money n the table. " if I see you around I will give you a shout." She finished before dashing out of the restaurant. She had school the next day she gave a brisk jog home, greeted her father and went to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elri walked home quickly, taking major roads and listening to jethro for any sign of danger. By the ime she got back he siblings and parents were asleep. She crawled in bed, her dog in his own bed on the floor at the foot of hers.

Slowly he sank down into the old worn out bed with a sigh. Tomorrow he would go out and talk about a job with who ever, someone else would beat him out and he would just go back to dumpster diving. I mean what are the chances of meeting up with the same girl again? Regardless he was going to fail... slowly he fell asleep.

[MENTION=4503]Kaera[/MENTION], [MENTION=3415]NorwayFOO[/MENTION], [MENTION=1127]Darkness Dies[/MENTION], [MENTION=4732]Phoenix Astin[/MENTION], [MENTION=4970]Alexater[/MENTION], moving us to the next day regardless of where we were with each character.

Serenity gave a yawn as she awoke to her alarm. she got up and packed homework, lunch and a few other things before jumping in the shower. She finished, put on a knee length cream colored sundress with a brown belt at the waist, a pair of burnt orange colored flats and her glasses. she picked up the book she had gotten from the library the day before and Jay crossed her mind a second. it was rare she find someone to talk with in such an intellectual manner. she checked her watch, and began her walk to school. the warm May winds made her dress dance around her legs as she tried to guess at Jays age. he wasn't much older then her, however old enough that she had never seen him at her school before. As she walked into Lucerne Senior High to start her day, she shook off any thought of the previous evening as to allow herself to focus on her studies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emerald wiped the sweat from her brow as a whistle sounded and her coach shouted some orders. the soccer team had early morning practice, and since Emerald was graduating in a few weeks it was her job as team captain to make sure that the team was ready for next years season. "good job team, this is why we made 2nd place in the state competition this year!" Emerald said with a wide grin. the team huddled together, this was their last practice with the seniors and later that evening was the teams banquet, scheduled to be at Little Italy. after a few minutes of chatter the girls hit the showers in the school locker room, Emerald changed into shorts and a t-shirt and headed to her regular locker. she collected her books, wondering if she might meet with the stranger from the day before. she went to class, looking to spend another day with glazed eyes, pencil tapping on the desk in boredom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cian rolled down the street, wheels on pavement, backpack that said Semper Fi on his back. he had a one class today at the University. it was chemistry, a simple class he like to avoid but ended up taking out of need. his roller blades clicked against rocks as he crossed the street. after his class he was to go to Little Italy to help out with the lunch rush. since he had been working all week his shift was shortened just to lunch and he had the next two days off. it was not unusual that he roller bladed to classes, however today his usual prowess and balance was all but missing as he hit a bump and tumbled head of heels, landing square on his back. he cringed as fresh blood seeped from scrapes on his knees and hands from the fall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elri struggled along as she walked, children yanking at her arms as Jethro walked beside them. "Ely why do we have to go to school? its boooorrringgg." said the the little girl. "yeah, i dont like math, its hard!" said the younger of two boys. "settle down you two..." said the older of the two boys. "but Sam kindergarten math is easy!" said the girl. "youre good at math Abby, its not the same." the younger boy, Sam, pouted.

"Now Tim, Sam, Abby," she put a hand on the girls shoulder as she said her name, tapping her fingers, "school is important, and it makes you smart. its why Sandy and Nathan can take care of the 3 of you." her fingers continued to tap systematically on Abbys shoulder. "what about you Elri? they take care of you dont they?" the older boy, Tim asked. "nah, they let me stay so i can help take care of you munchkins, i can take care of myself." she gave a smirk as they reached the elementary school/middle school(combined). the three kids ran into the building while Elri waved in their general direction. the blind girl then turned and headed off down the street.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith helped Esther get ready for daycare, packing her lunch and her backpack and making sure she had her art supplies. "ready to go dear?" she asked her daughter. "yes mama, im ready." she gave a bright smile. Faith shuffled her out the door and into her minivan, driving her to the little day care. when they got there, Faith walked Esther in, helping her remove her backpack and put her things at her desk. "gotta go sweety, have a good day." she was about to leave when Esther tugged at her blouse. she pointed over at the wall and Faith followed. she saw the picture that her daughter had drawn at the restaurant the day before. "im happy mama, i want you to be happy too." she pointed to the picture where she had drawn her father as an angel, sending a new person to make her mother happy. Faith smiled, "i am sweetheart, i promise." she kissed her daughters forehead before heading out.

Auburn had gotten up early today so he had extra time to get ready for work. He slowly climbed into the shower, and for about ten minutes he stood there without a thought in his head. Realizing he had about thirty minutes left, he quickly washed himself and finished. When he was done, he looked into his closet at the many outfits he had. He picked black Skinny jeans and a pink, loose tank top. For the sake of his job, he put on a black jacket with short sleeves. Feeling fashionably accomplished, he headed for the door and towards his car.
Auburn arrived early to the day care center, happy to see that Esther was arriving shortly after. He gave Faith some time to say goodbye before dropping her off. Smiling, Auburn gave Faith a small wave goodbye, then took Esther's hand and guided her to the playroom.
"Good morning, Esther." He said sweetly to the little girl. Since she was early, she was rewarded with a little bit of free-time.

While Auburn had to rise early, August had still been in bed, dreaming of sweet things. Dolphins, belugas, sea turtles, and near his awakening, he spotted a mermaid among them. As he woke, he looked at the alarm clock that read 7:32.
"Uuugh... I still have 13 minutes..." He burrowed his face into his pillow before realizing what he just told himself. "13 minutes!" He leaped out of bed, and quickly put on his swimsuit under his clothes. He grabbed a blueberry bagel and dashed out of the apartment and into his car.
August was glad there was barely traffic this morning, and the Marine Center was fairly close. He parked his car and walked quickly inside the building, then back out to the "pools". He looked at the clock on the outside wall, which read 7:45. Now was he favorite part. He was now allowed to open the gates to let the performance animals out. As much as he loved training them, he hated having to put them back into the small pools every night. The thought that they had to remain there for almost 12 hours made him uneasy.
But August had to stop his thoughts, today he had to work with the belugas, which were a bit more intimidating than dolphins. Afterwards, around 2:00, he would had his first session with an orca.

Jericho woke up and felt his head which still hurt from hitting it against the dumpster. He then remembered his promise to the blind girl... would he go threw with it? He started to get frustrated with himself then stood up and threw his pillow in a fit of frustration. Yes, yes he would. He made a promise! Quickly he showered, after breaking into someone else's house, and dressed before rushing outside, he would do it! Quickly he started to run down the side walk with new found energy and rounded the corner only to see a man whom he had known for years... just great.

The man was tall and buff and basically someone you might find on a magazine for fashion. He walked straight over to Jericho and smirked, "Hay gear head. Hows that fake arm holding up? Need some batteries?" Jericho looked down, losing the excitement he had forcefully put himself into just a couple seconds earlier. "Go away." The man seemed amused, "Go away? Hmm?" He got closer and pushed Jericho against the wall before speaking in a forceful whisper. "You listen to me, you talk to me like that again and I'll rip that arm back off again. Now you apologize and give me some cash to show how sorry you are. Go ahead and call the cops if you want, you think they would help a freak like you?" Jericho looked down at the ground and pulled out his wallet which had a single dollar in it. "Sorry." The man seemed amused and took the cash before walking down the street. "Thanks for the help." He shouted after him.

Jericho lost hope again and just walked along. The dollar was going to be the money he used to get a snack... he couldn't afford lunch and now he couldn't afford anything. He knew he should have left it at home...

Cian got up and brushed what dirt he could away, and continued towards the school, ripped jeans and all. once he got there he went to the bathroom and washed up his knee, however a bit crudely. they were still bleeding slightly, so he cranked the paper towel dispenser till he had enough to wrap around his leg to keep his blood from seeping into his torn jeans. he rolled his pant legs down, went to class and prepared for a sore day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esther gave a shy wave to her caretaker. she never could remember his last name so she just called him Mr. Auburn. she stood near the pictures that were posted on the wall, staring at the picture she drew. after awhile Auburn came to lead her to the playroom,and when she got there she gave him a sad, and timid look. "Mr. Auburn...is my mommy sad? She was so sad when Daddy went to heaven, but now she smiles again. is she smiling for real? because sometimes when im sad, i smile so Mommy smiles." she asked in a quiet voice, her pale blue eyes filled with a mix of naive emotions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Elri dropped off her siblings, she headed towards her own workplace, a sweets shop for cake, bread, pastries and the like. as she walked she thought she heard some sort of confrontation nearby, but tried to ignore it. as much as she liked to help people, senseless violence was not her strong suit. however, today was not on her side. as she continued to walk, she heard a set of heavy footsteps coming towards her. she moved to one side figuring they would just pass her by, but instead found one of her hands yanked and pinned to a nearby building. she was so busy sizing up the man(by obvious masculinity, she was by no means a scrawny girl), that she forgot to aim her gaze at his face, which she normally did to mask her disability. "looks like ive stumbled upon one of the three blind mice?" the husky voice taunted her. "i assure you, i am no mouse." she said, her voice unwavering under the large mans threat. "what was that? that was such a disrespectful comment, i do believe you owe me an apology, how about some money little girl? daddy give you anything to spend today?" the man put more pressure on her wrist, causing her pain. she cringed, but didnt back down. "i owe you nothing, in fact you should owe me something for harassment. and as i said, i am no mouse, i adapt to my disability." this statement was followed by a smirk as she hooked her foot around his ankle. the large man lost his balance and tumbled to the ground, a few spectators stood in shock. "i recommend you be more careful who you threaten" she said, stepping on his wrist. "that should be payment for what you've done." she said, rubbing at ehr own, now swollen wrist. he had likely sprained it, and she was in a bit of pain but she tried her best to ignore it.

[MENTION=3415]NorwayFOO[/MENTION], [MENTION=1127]Darkness Dies[/MENTION], sorry ive been away so long, i had a con i was preparing for, which was fun, and ive had a busy schedule but i should reply a bit more regularly now.

(Damn you, Esther, and your questions I must think deeply about before answering! xD)

Auburn was a little baffled from Esther's question, much less, her ability to speak about her own father's death so calmly. Sometimes the things this girl said broke his heart a little.
"Well, Esther..." He paused to think shortly of how to say this. "Sometimes it's just hard to smile, but if she wants you to be happy, I'm sure her smile was real." That was all he could think of as an answer to her question.

August was standing at the edge of the first pool, which was much wider and deeper than the dolphins'. As he stepped in, Flinn swam up beside him, nuzzling his legs.
"Let's see, your performance is-" August stopped at reading Flinn's entrance. This was probably his least favorite part about whales. With a sigh, he dipped into the pool and gave Flinn a "C'mon" before he started to swim for the gate he was to enter by. Once both of them were there, Flinn swam through the gate, turned around, and swam back out. What August didn't know about the beluga was that he already knew the routine, he just had to get used to it. This took August by surprise when Flinn pushed up on his feet and began to swim forward to the edge. August, in turn, tried his best to balance himself on the whale's tip. Once he was to the edge, August stepped out of the pool and treated Flinn.

Esther gave an expression as any child would when thinking hard, followed by a bright smile, "ok, Esther will continue to smile for her mommy! someday I might have a new daddy, and i want him to smile too!" she said, with a nod. a few more kids wandered in and she grew quiet again, then looked at Auburn curiously, "does Mr. Auburn now what love feels like? not mommy and daddy love, love-love." Esther was as any child, very curious about things she didnt understand. she was also bright for her age, and likely a year ahead of other kids her age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cian sat in class, listening to the teachers lecture before they started their lab. his knees stung, but he welcomed it. it kept him awake in class and he knew well that he could take it like a man. he was always hurting himself, so a few paper-towel wrapped scrapes were nothing. he yawned as they all got up and got in groups for lab, a handful of bashful girls asking him to be partners. he turned them down in favor of one of the guys who was usually last to be picked. Cian couldn't focus with the girls around, and though he had dated many times, he found that he grew tired of it. he, although never outspoken about it, had no preference to the gender of his significant other. it was easier to just date girls, however, if he was attracted to a male he would likely show it, receiving a punch to the face or a snide remark which he usually shrugged off.

Auburn smiled at her question, and for a second, the cook he had been admiring from a distance, Cian, came up in his head. He sighed, not sadly, but hopefully.
"Yes, I do. It's a wonderful thing." He paused to think of something to relate it to. "It's like... Going to a theme park, and you're always happy." That was all he could think of as an answer, since most of his thoughts now were Cian. He tried to brush them away as he saw more kids entering the room now.

A familiar voice yelling out Jay's name made him turn to the source of the voice. Of course, it was Elle. Jay refrained from rolling his eyes as he politely asked her how her yoga class went, and ignored most of her replies, though he made the necessary 'mmm's and 'oh really's at the right points. Many girls called him a good listener, but they didn't know that he barely listened to a word they said.

Except Serenity. It had been an enriching conversation with her the previous evening, and though it was short, it was enjoyable.

With Elle hanging off his arm happily as they walked to class, Jay felt just the slightest tinge of guilt that his mind was straying, but the feeling didn't stay for long. It was strange for him, because he never really felt any guilt for jumping from girl to girl and breaking their hearts. Partly it was because he knew the girls weren't that into him anyway, and really just wanted to date him in order to try and be the one who 'tamed' him. This time, he guilt he felt wasn't towards Elle, but Serenity.

He raised his arm to scratch his head, effectively pulling it away from Elle. She pouted. He smiled at her and walked ahead into class.

Serenity let out a small yawn, continuing to take down notes for the class she was in. the class was nothing new to her, things she had taught herself really, so it was boring. usually he was absorbed in her studies, however today was not the case. it was rare she have someone as enriching as Jay to talk with, and she thought perhaps she had found a valuable friend. she read into his intentions upon his first flirt, but he still seemed to be someone worthwhile to talk to again, unlike some of the people in her class. there were 4 people texting under their desks, two scribbling stick men in the margins of their poorly written notes and three sleeping. the rest appeared to just be zoning out. Serenity was glad when the bell rang for 2nd period, picking up her books and heading off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esther shook her head, "I've never been to a theme park, mommy says they are too expensive for her right now." she said although there was nothing wrong with her mothers struggles. "mommy say that money is important, and that i should read a lot." she looked around at the other kids shyly, "um...drawing makes me happy, so i will go draw, i love to draw" her smile was shy, and she left his side to retrieve her little flowered notebook and crayons. she sat at her usual table and drew with her crayons, mostly flowers, but animals as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"yikes!" Cian shouted as his lab partner bumped the hot water bath, spilling some on Cians shirt. he jumped back, an 'ouch' leaving his frowning lips. "oh jeez Cian, im sorry im so clumsy, are you alright?" his partner fumbled his words, nervous that someone as low on the food chain as him had done something to someone who was loved by everyone the way Cian was. "dont worry about it, im tough....just.... get some paper towels ok?" Cian tried to reassure the young man but his own mood was showing. scraped knees, hot water burns, he wasnt really having a good start to his day. once the mess was cleaned up and the lab completed, Cian sat around waiting for the class to end, hoping that the rest of his day wasnt so horrid.