Lucerne, the City of Life

Phoenix shifted his weight on the couch sighing when he couldn't get comfortable. He got off the couch and went into the kitchen grabbing a peach and checking the clock. 'it's only seven dang.' He thought to himself. 'I'm hungry.' He thought grabbing his wallet he left the apartment and walked down to 'Little Italy'. He walked in smiling softly as he waited for a seat. Phoenix had heard that this place was really good but never had the chance to try it out. Now he had the chance.

The sound of someone calling out to someone rang his ears and he felt dizzy. It was load and he groaned as he waited for his ears to stop ringing... well it was loud to him, "No so loud." He looked over to see someone looking at him, she wasn't examining him or looking him in the eyes but she seemed to be looking at his cheek maybe? Or he was just to drunk to tell. "Do you have a beer?" He said with a hiccup as he climbed up and fell out of the dumpster, "Nice dog." He rubbed his head, all his words were slurred and the smell of alcohol was starting to bother him. Quickly he realized his eyes were tearing up and he whipped them messily away, half hitting himself in a drunken wobble.

Elri took a step back when she was greeted with the scent of alcohol. Jethro pressed himself against her leg, and she could feel the dog bristling, and a low frequency growl came from the back of his throat. "are...you alright sir? i think maybe you should stop drinking." Elri stood her ground. without her sight she couldnt tell how intoxicated he was, let alone what he looked like, but she could feel a mix of emotions coming from him. she sensed confusion and pain, and a lot of things that suggested there was a reason he was in this situation.

Emerald walked into little italy after a long practice session with her schools soccer team. Her brown haiir was tied back in a ponytaill and there were a few smudges of dirt on her soccer uniform, but she didn't mind. She didn't wait to be seated and sat down at a window table. She ordered a bowl of mint gelato and waited patiently.

"Ah, go away. I just need one more, just one more. I'm not really drunk yet..." He turned around and started to search the dumpster again, this time he remembered why, he needed some money for just one more beer. Then again he said that after the last ten drinks. Most people might have been dead after drinking so much but not him. After drinking for so long he had built up a high alcohol intolerance. "Do you have money, just one more beer." After that he just started mumbling, just one more just one more. He was hoping one more would get him drunk enough to not remember any of the past. Just one more...

Elri felt anger growning in her, replacing her fear. Jethro didnt back down, but also wouldnt make a move until instructed, or until Elri was in danger. "sir, you are obviously intoxicated. i think you need help." her voice was stern and unwavering, her sightless eyes trained in his direction. "crawling around in a dumpster isnt going to get you money either, being sober and getting a job is."

(Elri is a jerk sometimes XD )

Jay couldn't help but smile. Girls. Every other one believed he was a dumb guy lusting after them. After seeing how others of the male variety tried so hard to get girls' attention, he wasn't surprised. It made him sad, because no girl ever tried very hard to treat him as an intelligent human being, and even less as they got wind of his reputation. He hoped this would be the last time, but he knew it wouldn't be.

"Sure," he replied, "Over dinner. Let's get some food into that brain of yours."

"I wish I was intoxicated! I wish I could get drunk so easily!" He yelled before hitting his head on the dumpster. His hand went over it only to find it was bleeding. Slowly everything became confusing and blurry as his eyes started to close. The arm he created for himself started t buzz slightly from lack of power as he fininally lost consiousness. It only lasted a few seconds, he woke back up and looked around. "Urhg." Slowly he sat up holding his head, "What a hang over..." Atleast he thought it was a hang over.

August had been looking at dolphin videos for about 30 minutes now, all of which showed him the progress in their training. It was barely 7:00 when he began to watch himself with Snow. Out of all the dolphins, she was the slowest learner. But performers from a different city's Sea World made a special request for her to be trained and bought. In fact, he only had another month with her before she would be sent off.
August tried to shake away the thought by checking his E-mail.
4 New Messages.
Junk, junk... "Hmm?" He opened the third one, a request from another Center, received this morning.
August Vin, Trainer/Manager
I am the dolphin breeding supervisor from Blue&White, JarsVille. We have a special request to breed your Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin, Courtney, with ours, Jay, this coming Friday. We would be more than happy to transport Courtney to our facilities. If you are not comfortable, we can transport Jay to you, and myself, to supervise the breeding and care.
Please reply your response by Monday.

With regards,
Blue&White
It took August a while to realize why this was sent to him, and not his breeding supervisor. Because he didn't have one. The idea of having pups swimming around was adorable, so August decided to E-mail his boss about it.
Once he was finished, he opened the last message, one from Lucerne High School.
Greetings, August Vin, Trainer/Manager
Lucerne High School will be having a senior meeting on Thursday about different career paths. We would be more than grateful if you could attend and explain the career of Marine Biology and Training to the students. If you cannot attend, we request that you send a video presentation.

Many thanks,
Lucerne High School
Vice Principal
Now this was very interesting...

Serenity gave a small nod and followed him to their table. When a waitor came by she asked for a latte and a peice of coffee cake. She then turned to Jay.

"So what kinds of intellegence do you have stored away in your brain? Anything you would like to talk about...?" Serenity asked. She rarely excepted a date unless she saw some conversational value. When she did except the occasional date, no one made it past the first. She had yet to have a date that she actually enjoyed, so up till now her opinion was still that dating was purposeless.

~~~~

Elri scowled. She made a motion to her dog and he followed as she approached the dumpster. She reached over and as the man was regaining consiousness she slapped him square on the cheek. No vision was nesseccary for her to land. That one.

"Moron! Isntead of wallowing around in trash why don't you climb out and go make something of yourself. Man up! I had to learn to be an adult at the age of 8 when I lost my sight... and look at me, I don't drink away the death of my parents in a back alley dumpster." She took a step back, ensuring that he wouldn't grab her. (Like I said...she isn't the nicest)

~~~~~~

Emerald sat in Little Italy enjoying her gelato, the exhaustion of soccer practice weighed her down in her chair. She was thinking about how silly it would be if she couldn't get up after she ate. She chuckled to herself a bit.
[MENTION=4732]Phoenix Astin[/MENTION] I thought your character needed someone to talk to....

[MENTION=4124]StarDust[/MENTION] Ah he does! Thanks!
Phoenix walked over to Emerald tired of standing. "Do you mind if I sit with you?" He asks running his fingers through his hair with a simple smile. "It's cool if you don't you don't want me too." He laughed softly. He wasn't nervous, he was just being a tad awkward which is rare for him.

As a hand came over his face with a loud slapping of skin he was stunned for a second before looking up at the girl. 'Moron! Instead of wallowing around in trash why don't you climb out and go make something of yourself. Man up! I had to learn to be an adult at the age of 8 when I lost my sight... and look at me, I don't drink away the death of my parents in a back alley dumpster.' He didn't speak for a second then looked up at her again. "I am trash. This is where I should be." He finally replied, "I'm a fucking freak. Who would hire me? No one would hire me!" He started to get louder. His anger was taking over, the anger he tried to hide away under bottles of alcohol. "I need to get a beer." He stood up shakily as his head started to hurt again. "Erhm."

Jay made an order for a mocha and turned to face Serenity. This date had, so far, been going like all of the others, other than the fact that she hadn't asked a single thing about why he kept hopping around and balancing on things. He hoped that Serenity would be one of the rare ones who would turn the gears in his head. He loved conversations that would be able to keep him staring into space, thinking.

"What kind of dystopian universe would you like to live in?"

Emerald looked up at the stranger. "sure thing, i dont mind." she smiled. motioning to the chair across from her. "im Emerald, nice to meet you." she took another bite of her mint gelato. "its nice to see that not everyone is weird about making new acquaintances. most people wouldve never thought to sit with a stranger."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serenity gave Jay a curious look "Dystopian? I'm actually surprised you asked. before i answer, might i ask why you used the term "dystopian" instead of utopian? surely most people would want to live in a desirable utopian world rather then the undesirable dystopian world?" she said, a look of honest interest in her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elri calmed herself, speaking in a sincere yet stern voice. "youre not trash. i dont know who you are, but the fact that you are alive in such a cold world proves you are not something to be tossed away. if you keep wallowing like this you wont ever get anywhere. and if they would hire me, i think they would hire you. surely someone who can see what they are doing is a more desirable employee then someone who wouldnt see if someone was... for example shoplifting? ive had it happen a few times, yet i still maintain a job." she said, trying not to anger the drunken man.

[MENTION=4732]Phoenix Astin[/MENTION], [MENTION=4503]Kaera[/MENTION], [MENTION=3415]NorwayFOO[/MENTION] sorry i took so long to reply

Jay caught her curious look and laughed. He was secretly thankful that he had started off with something that was of apparent interest to Serenity.

"Anyone, any child can think of a utopian world that they want to live in. Who doesn't want to live in a world filled with rainbows and puppies and infinite amounts of money? It's easy." He paused, looked her in the eye, and repeated, "What kind of dystopian universe would you like to live in? And why?"

He looked at her for a second not sure what to say, his drunken mind seemed to have calmed thanks to her words... which unfortunately made him crave a beer even more. She had a job and was blind? She was ridiculed, people probably made fun of her, that was what he was afraid of. He suffered from atychiphobia which is basically the fear of failure. In order to never fail he would sabotage himself in hopes of preventing a possible larger failure or public failure.
He stood up, still under the intoxication of the alcohol and still suffering from the effects of hitting his head though he thought his mind was clear, slowly before taking a step towards her. He took her hand and placed it on his arm, "This is my arm, you see my problem? I'm a freak that not even the circus wants."

Phoenix smiled at the girl. "Name is Phoenix," he says as he sits in the chiar. "How else are we supose to make friends if we don't sit with strangers?" He chuckles to him self and runs his fingers through his hair. He looked around the little resturant before looking a back at the girl.
[MENTION=4124]StarDust[/MENTION] sorry for the late reply. haha

im hereeee sorry for the delay~

Emerald laughed, "you dont know how awesome that sounds" she took another bite of her gelato, "some people get so awkward, and how is anyone supposed to make friends like that?" she said, tapping her spoon against the bowl. "its good to see some people can still go out and try to male friends the old fashioned way!" she chuckled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elri let him take her hand and lay it on his arm. Jethro growled, but Elri gave a quiet shh. his arm was prosthetic, and by the feel, not hospital issued. "not wanted?" she said softly, "but you made this yourself didnt you? this, however crude, gives you top marks in engineering!" she took her hand from his arm. "you've got to work through your disability. you know how many people encourage people like you to strive for better things? you dont belong back here in a dumpster, you should be making prosthetic for others, think of all the lives you could make better." she frowned, "and unlike you... i cant be fixed. my lack of sight was caused by a brain injury, so thats not something i can change, but you can."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serenity gave a small smile. "i see, its true that everyone desires such utopian society's." she thought for a moment, "if i had to choose a dystopian society, i would likely choose one with a dictator. at the sacrifice of certains freedoms and rights, there could be strict health regulations and check ups, however forced for the benefit of everyone. if that counts as dystopian i suppose. its hard to think negatively sometimes."

Jay nodded. "It is, and yet some people have to live in such a society, for all of their lives." He paused, as though observing a moment of silence for the people he was talking about, before grinning at Serenity. "Now aren't you lucky to have the freedom of sitting here and having cake with me?" Sometime during this little conversation, their orders had been sent to their table, and Jay now took a sip of his mocha and sighed in satisfaction. He looked expectantly at Serenity, hoping she would engage him in an interesting topic of her choice.

He didn't speak for a second not really able to speak, he was stunned at what she said... she had gotten all of that from what little he said under a drunken mumble... each time she spoke he felt more sober and he couldn't help but look over his handywork. Slowly he looked back up at her before closing and oppening his fake hand. Really it was more than a simple prosthetic arm, it was much more than that, not that he would praise himself.