Love Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
She couldn't help but giggle as he stammered over his words, following him over to his dresser she took the shirt and shorts. "Goodnight, Jay. I hope you have sweet dreams." Smiling as she gave a slight wave to him as he curled up on the couch. Closing the door behind her she changed into the borrowed clothing and curled up into the soft threads of his bed. Though it was hard for her to fall asleep, when she did it would with the comfort of knowing Jay was on the other side of the door.

In the morning she stumbled out of bed, rubbing her eyes, the shirt raised up over her hip as she walked. Combing fingers through her hair she peeked out of the door to see if Jay was awake, if she was she greets him with a 'Good morning.' if not she would tip toe by him to make some coffee.

Jay, sprawled out on the leather couch, seems to have had a rough night. An arm is dragged on the ground along with a leg sticking off of the edge. Laying down on his belly, the nightshirt thrown on the floor because of his restlessness. Normally he sleeps in just his boxers so having this thin layer of clothes only adds to his discomfort. Luckily, he wakes up before Nancy does, quietly looking to his door and pondering if he should enter. Moving to the door, he is about to open up when it flies open, revealing a tired yet awake Nancy. Jay jumps back in fright, not expecting her to be up.

"Woah, oh, hey! Um, good morning, Nancy." He nervously exclaims, rubbing his tousled hair. "I hope you slept well. I was just about to sneak by you and grab my suit for work and take a shower. Um, I didn't mean to scare you. Well, rather you scared the bejesus out of me." He chuckles, itching his head before squeezing by her. "Have to get ready for work..." He explains, jabbing his thumb behind him. "Do you need to use the bathroom before I do?" Once she answers he nods and makes his way into his own room, just in time for the alarm to start shouting at him like an angry military sergeant. Immediately going into his small closet, he picks out a gray suit and throws it on the bed.

Once showered, shaved and dressed, Jay exits his room, his hair neatly combed back and blow dried. "How are you feeling?" He asks, starting to pour himself a cup of coffee and taking out the milk from the fridge. "Do you want milk and sugar?" He asks, 'Or are you one of those girls who like it black?"

Nancy couldn't help but blush at seeing Jay shirtless, at his muttering she couldn't stop herself from giggling, "Yes, I slept well, good morning... And no. The bathroom is all yours." taking a step out of his way to his room. While he was in the shower she changed into a pair of loose jeans and a long sleeve shirt. She made her way into the kitchen, sitting up on the counter just in time for him to walk out. "Oh you should remember... Black." she winks giving a laugh.

Once he poured her a cup she took it in both hands, her nose hovering over the steaming, dark, liquid as she took a deep breath. "Mmm... Thank you." taking a sip a large smile swept across over cheeks, "Did you sleep well, Jay? It seems as though you did."

"We've been slacking lately, Nancy," Jay practically coos at her, reaching out to gently run his fingers over hers. It's an innocent gesture seen by only two pairs of eyes, yet he hopes it will mean more. He prays that it will. It's true that he wants Nancy to be happy but the only logical way she can be, in his mind, is to dump that ... rich sleaze bag. Jay has been inside his house and even without knowing Brendan, the detective has a nice perception. "For we haven't seen one another in years," if she doesn't move her hand, neither does he, wanting to keep her warmth on each and every finger of his. "I miss your company, Nancy." He admits slowly, not knowing if it will cross any lines.

With that, he withdraws his hand and talks with her about times both old and new. Jay has always been a affable person, caring and trusting. He is the portrait of all that is good in this world, fighting crime and rescuing damsel's in distress. They talk for a long while, Jay's smile brightening the room. Still, he can't help but think if she is thinking of Brendan. Does he dare touch her hand again? He wants her to know he cares yet... not lose her completely.

That's what he thinks when he stands on the train platform, his jacket collar stuck around his jaw. His hands are deep in his pockets, his weight rocking from side to side as they wait. "And you're sure you have to go?" He questions her, his tone alone asking her to stay another night with him in his apartment. It's what he would desire most.

Smiled as his hand touched hers, it was comforting and in a way, helped her forget about the night before. "We have." she mumbles before taking a long sip of her coffee, "We could continue by sitting in a hot police office as you question me about life?" as they talked on for awhile, happiness began to fill her. The memories and jokes shared between years ago, it wasn't long before he had her smiling wide and hearing her laugh throughout the apartment.

She stood there in her jacket, old red scarf, and purple hat. Looking up at him she took his hand, "I do, I am. I have to go home and see my grandma." Just like she always did before leaving him after an interview, she'd take his hand and press a kiss to his knuckles. "You have my number if you'd like to have coffee again. I'm only two hours away by car. Hour by train."

"I know you must go and see your grandmother. Say hello to her from me, will you? I have never met her but I'm sure you at least talked about me on occasion. There is no option for me to be rude now, is there?" That's when she takes his hand, pressing her lips to his leather gloves. Swallowing, his eyebrows knit themselves in the middle of his face for he doesn't understand what she is doing. Laughing a little, he brings his free hand to her cheek and nods. "What if I just want to call you to speak to you? Hear your voice? Feel the smile across the phone wires?" His lips part, wanting to lavish more praise upon her but not finding the words for he is too astonished by her beauty being so close. Her scent is rich, eyes deep as he looks into them.

Pulling his tweed cap off, an investment that Nancy always adored on him, Jay tilts his head. Nancy doesn't move so he takes the next step, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her in closer. His eyes focus on her lips, a coating of lipstick causing them to shine in the light of the station. The train whistles up ahead as it slows its way down to stop at the station. Jay is a good man and doesn't want to take Nancy away or cause any fights with Brendan but enduring her presence yesterday and today is growing on him. He remembers all his feelings towards her now that she is really in front of him, no longer in his dreams.

His heart is beating in his chest, ready to feel her once again. It's true they've kissed once or twice but nothing really came out of it. The fact still hurts Jay but at least she isn't pushing him away or turning her head. So he goes for it, locking lips. Time stands still as he always dreamed it would yet he knows he has to hurry, the train still making its way to the platform. When she accepts his lips pressing against hers, he slides them across hers, taking her lip between his own. Whatever lipstick she has applied, a simple cherry or a more radical flavoring, only makes Jay crave more. His lips grow hungry, rolling between hers in every direction, his face shifting from side to side as his body did seconds earlier. He is urgent, wanting to steal as many seconds as he can before he has to let go of her warmth and let her slip from his arms.

Giggling she shook her head against the cold breeze that kissed her face, "That will be no problem. I'll tell her you said hello, and yes I had mentioned you in the past." When they first met, interviewed, she did have a bit of a crush on the man. How could she not? He was tall, charming, always made her feel welcome. If she let him, he would have swept her off of her feet. "If you like. I'll look forward to hearing your call then."

A soft gasp left her lips as he pulled her close, a soft smile playing at her lips as she began to make some dumb joke, "What you really-" her words quickly being cut off by Jay's lip. Eyes fluttered shut as his lips moved eagerly along hers, her hands gliding up his arms before gently pressing into his chest. Reluctantly prying her lips away, having realized that she got caught up in the moment, "I'm sorry... but I can't."

The train came to a screeching halt making her draw her eyes away for just a second, "Jay.. After everything has happened.. I-I... You must think I'm crazy for saying this but.. I've loved Brendan for a long time..."

Jay smiles against her lips when he feels her kiss him back, his heart soaring in his chest. But all goods things are cut short and he spins feels her push against his chest. Groaning a bit, Jay keeps his arm around her waist, wanting to talk some sense into her. But he doesn't. He couldn't for he understands the throws of love. If Nancy truly loves him, Jay won't intervene.

"I don't think you're crazy. You're beautiful and intelligent and I trust your judgement." Licking his lips, he can still taste her. "And if you do truly love Brendan and know that you will love no other man, I apologize for being so forward." Bowing his head down, Jay lets go of her, allowing her to make her way into the steel train. "Just promise me we can stay friends. I can even try to get you a job at the office if you wish. Nancy, be safe. And know that I'm just a phone call away." Running his gloved hand across her pink cheeks.

And so they part ways, Jay calling her on the weekends or sometimes on the weekdays after work just to check in and see how she is. He tells her that she is always welcome with him if she ever felt uncomfortable or threatened again. He even got her a job at his office if she so desired.

In the meantime, Brendan has been doing a little planning of his own. Now he stands in his living room, chewing on his thumb as he thinks of another idea. How can he cover their tracks better - keep his cover as solid as he can while keep Nancy. Or rather... win her back at this point. He has tried to call her again and again over these few weeks but she hasn't answered so he has just stopped calling for he knows there is no use.

Through the weeks she enjoyed hearing from Jay, every once in awhile she'd go to have coffee with him and chit chat about work and how things will be once she starts working at his office.

Soon it came, her first day of work, already getting a small apartment near the city. It was nothing much, a small one room apartment with a kitchen and bath, much like Jay's. Her grandmother had moved into a retirement home and sold the house, leaving Nancy with many things cluttering around her bedroom and living room, paintings, nicknacks, etc.

It had been a week since she first moved in, and a day before she started work, but something was on her mind, Brendan. She sat by the phone, staring at the metal and plastic that reflected off of the lamp light, wanting to call him. Yes, he had attempted to talk to her, but she wasn't ready. Now she was, picking up the phone she pressed his number into the pad and held the phone to her ear tightly

His men have tried to tell him the whereabouts of the law, even tried planting a few moles in their system but they aren't much help. It's because of their ranking, being janitors or a secretary, they don't have access to -anything-. Brendan even thought about asking a few officers if they need any graphic design work to be done. Posters, signs... anything. But no for he would have to see Jay and he can't do that without becoming angry. If he ever sees that inspector around his house again, Brendan doesn't know what he would do. At first he thought about killing him but it would take years of planning to leave no trails. It would be premeditated for immediate action is when a felon becomes a jailbird.

The phone causes him to jump, clamping down on his finger. Taking a deep breath, he calls Luna over to his lap. Sitting down on the couch, he picks up the phone. Knowing it's Nancy, he closes his eyes and rests his head in his hand. He will have to play it off once more... or should he be truthful. She is now, after all, friends with the law. He can't risk anything for he doesn't trust Nancy. She wouldn't understand.

"Hello?" comes his voice across the wires, as clear as if he were standing right in the room with her.

A smile caught her lips upon hearing his voice, just the tone of it sent a warm feeling through her body. "H-Hey.." she finally said, the smile turning into a wide, toothy grin. "Its Nancy.. I mean, you know its me.. I think. I mean.. Ugh, hi." Stumbling over her words wasn't uncommon for her when it came to not seeing, or hearing from him, for quite some time. "How are you doing?" finally getting the question off of her mind.

This whole time sh had been wondering if he was okay, healthy, safe, even calmed down, forgive her maybe? All of these things rusted through her head, everyday, since the night she caught Brendan with the gun. The shiny metal of the gun flickering off the light, the loud bang it made, seeing that man unconscious; it was all so vivid and clear in her mind. But, that didn't stop her from loving him. If she didn't then she probably wouldn't have called, a few times in the past weeks she'd dial his number but hang up before the second ring.

Immediately after hearing her voice, Brendan regrets picking up the phone. Such moments may only last as fast as one can blink but a sour feeling sticks in the back of his throat for even thinking such insane thoughts. Nancy has no evidence against him - claiming (rightfully) that he is part of some gang or mob. All he has to do is convince her and all will end well. Still, even his heart leaps when she starts tripping over her words. It is a sign that she still cares for him for he remembers walking into Grandma Leo's house and having to deal with the exact same scenario. A tight throat, shaky words yet... ones filled with a longing desire to have him back in her life. He knew it from the moment he met her eyes.

"Hello Nancy," Brendan speaks slowly and as smooth as wine being poured out of a bottle, "I was getting worried you wouldn't call." After that, he bites his tongue, not knowing what else to say. The large part of him, the honest man she met and fell in love with, wants to tell her the truth. Yeah, he has gotten stuck in a shitty situation but he can dig himself out so that they could be together without any ties or threats to his life. Then the uncharacteristic part of him settles in, coaxing another lie from his throat. He would lose her if he tells her the truth. So, in simple terms, Brendan doesn't speak.

Sat down in the old armchair Anma let her have once she got the new apartment, her heart about to pound out of her chest, hearing him speak once more. "I wasn't sure if you would ever call..." she admitted, her eyes closing hopping it wouldn't anger him or cause any guilt. "I'm in the neighborhood... I uh.. I didn't know if you wanted to get.. coffee?" Her free hand pulled and tugged at the hem of her skirt, worrying if he would say no. What if he doesn't forgive me for leaving? What if he's already moved on?

Taking a deep breath she leans back into the worn cushion of the chair, "Only if you want to that is... I um... I understand if you don't want to or if.. You already have another girl..." her voice trailing off as the memory of seeing all of those girls at the party flooded into her head, even the tabloid pictures with a model of his arm. "Or if you're too busy... Maybe just tea if its late. I know how work gets."

"You're in the neighborhood?" Brendan remarks, a pin of interest marked in his head. Sadly, he looks back across to the sea from his window, knowing he really ought to just focus and not let Nancy drag him away. Biting his lip, he stays silent as she jabbers on about him already finding another girl. A joke ignites in his head, something about telling Nancy all about this great girl such as her taste in music, her cooking, or more subtle aspects such as her shampoo scent or body scrub. He would then reveal that this girl actually -is- Nancy. Yet, he thinks better for he knows it will be unwise to upset Nancy - even if its a joke. Brendan fears, as he plays with his shirt cuff, that she will hang up before he gets to finish his jest. Either that or break down into tears.

"Well, that's grand news, it really is. I, unfortunately won't be available until next Tuesday. I have all sorts of meetings and deadlines that I have to complete and it's unwise for me to," Brendan pauses, "Don't think I don't want to, Nancy, because I would really love to see you," he tells her frankly, "But I'm just loaded with work. I want to see you though. How about Tuesday for dinner, would that work? You can come back to the office if you would like or we can meet for a cuisine of," the other line bleeps into his side of the phone, his voice pausing for a moment, "damn," he mutters before quickly finishing, "your choice. Sound good? I hate to hang up, I really do but call me tomorrow once you have a place figured out. You're free to text me if you wish but I warn you my responses might be slow," His last words are everlasting, ringing through the wires like a horn in a acoustic room, "Love you Nancy, sleep well."

Sinking feeling pulled at the chest when he said he would be busy with work, but at least he did have a bit of time for her. Taking a breath she rubs at one of her eyes, having it been a long night of moving furniture and what not, she was tired, "Um.. I can't stop by the office-" he cut her off with him having to go, "I-I can... Okay." This his last words ringing in her ear she smiles softly. Pulling the phone from her ear she just stares at it for a moment, "I love you too, Brendan..." But there was a bit of sadness still there from what happened a few weeks back.

She knew he was keeping something from her, but she knew that he wouldn't do it unless it was for her safety. What if he's keeping me safe from himself? She thought placing the phone to the side. With a shake of her head she moved her mind to the more important things, wondering how he was and then it slipped to work. Tomorrow being her first day, she didn't want to make a back impression. Isn't wasn't soon enough that she collapsed onto the naked mattress in her room and fell asleep.

Monday couldn't have gone more slowly for every second that inched by, Brendan hoped against hope that he could just sleep through time and have it be Tuesday evening. Calling her cell phone when he reaches noon, he waits quietly for her to answer. When she does, he immediately asks how she is doing. His words, doting as always, are reserved if anything. Brendan doesn't say too much but doesn't utter too little. His chatter is brief yet filled with his excitement for their meal tomorrow evening. He already knows he will be dressing up for the occasion, wanting to impress her as he always does.

"Have you picked out a place for dinner?" He asks before immediately wishing to know more about her move. After all, the man doesn't want her to think he isn't interested, "And you said that Grandma Leo is in assisted living? Or a nursing home? I should go and see her, you know how delighted she gets. It's been too long - perhaps we can take a trip on a weekend and see her. I bet she is aching to get out and see the city she is in. Or town... or village, wherever you placed her."

While Brendan talks to Nancy on the phone, she would be able to spot Jay coming in from his morning duty. Holding his notepad, the man is furiously scribbling, talking to his partner as quickly as he can. Now there is a man who works until his knuckles are bloody. There is no doubt in any of his co-workers' minds that he won't do anything to save lives. When he finishes, he hangs up his coat, a bit of blood clinging to his left side. Jay doesn't even notice for his jacket must have flung back, the knife grazing his skin but still leaving a sweet little mark for memory sake. His partner, a tall european looking fella, grabs his arm, pointing at the blood. Very nonchalantly, Jay looks down, mutters something about ruining his good shirt and then moving through a pair of wooden doors to the other areas of the station. An hour later, he will check on Nancy and see how she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.