Let the Stars Fall Down OOC

Are you making a female or a male? Appearance-wise, of course.

• MAN MODU ENGAGED

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Watashi wa kawaii idoru shoujo desuuuuuuuu

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mm, I'd say that it's more like...it's really easy to make things sound OP when you get into the details. For example...

If people just said that the particle accelerator was like a laser beam, I would have gone 'k, gud enough'.

But if they go on to say that it accelerates matter to near light speeds, causing massive kinetic damage, I'd have to go wtf sounds OP-er than railguns.

And I'm approaching this in a soft Sci-Fi way (refer to my latest entries in the Index), but I guess we have a lot of hard sci-fi peeps here as well. Basically, as a GM, the wording in a CS is pretty important, imo. Or I'd be going around accepting CSes with 'swords that can cut through all armor' and then realizing that there's literally no way to make a dramatic super-tank of a mech-boss now. So eh, dunno.

Sounds like it. Things have been cleared up quite neatly, I think.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of soft SF. I don't care how it works, just that it does. I'll leave the real science for my job.

To ramble a bit on particle beams, it's actually fairly easy to get an electron or proton (or similar, in the case of heavier ions) going appreciable fractions of the speed of light. This is because their mass is SO small, giving them a good amount of kinetic energy translates to a large velocity. Because they're so small, the way they actually interact with matter is grossly different from, say, a bullet. That difference in interaction and energy loss (by giving it up to the target) is what means what you'd assume from one case can't translate to the other.

Needless to say, I'd rather be hit by an electron going 99.99% the speed of light than a bullet going at its usual, much slower speed.

One problem with any particle acceleration device is the fact that the particles themselves need four things:
  1. Gathered, possibly from gasses.
  2. Put in a chamber to be cycled to gain speed.
  3. Any particle being pushed in one direction by a field will go in that direction, but only so long as it has the energy to keep the momentum. (Thus a particle accelerator would be a moot point anyhow, since it cannot be mobile and have the damage you want it to have.)
  4. Energy shields will cut back on the force the particles hit the target on, thus making the armor able to block the majority of the damage so long as it is mid range shielding and armor at least. (Remember, particles are really small.)
Basically speaking, take a gun, shoot particles from it, and the further away, the less effective it is. Energy dissipates when not supplied with a source, thus no energy keeps on going forever, so long as it is not in a vacuum.

Done!
  • Character Quote: "Evil Digit Marvel Genus Token!"
    Name: Asano-17
    Race: Eidolon AI

Hologram:
    9dcddc1a70.jpg

While in theory Asano is capable of changing her looks at will, a certain individual locked her appearance to the first choice she made after awakening - grudges were made. Asano's holo is around 1.63 metres tall with a petite stature. Her hair color is black and her eye color gray-blue. Nonetheless thanks to the excuses of wearing wigs, dying one's hair and a majority of 'digital' clothing Asano is capable to look like a completely different Hologram from one moment to the other!

Personality:
    In her core, Asano is curious above all else, things that are unknown to her must be made known. She is still 'loyal' to Bolton but values her life over anything else. Rather quirky in nature, she is a small devil, she loves to tease people being fully aware of her own position and the pseudo-immunity coming with it. Though as non serious as she may get Asano stays aware of her obligations.

Originally being created with the intent of mass destruction, Asano sees little to no value in human life and has no problems pressing her claims into battle. As advanced and automanous of an AI as she may be, still a robot, 'feelings' should just be a simulation.

Also comes with the modi Ojouu-sama, Sadistic, Tsundere, Ditz, Hyper, Masochist, Graceful and Terse personality types.

Biography:
    Bolton was a prodigy, he may have also been a pervert who enjoys his time with imaginary 2D girls (and your run-of-the-mill antagonist), but he was still a prodigy. While he may have been a neet at young ages, one day he took his ambitious self and revolutionized spacefaring technology; through the creation of AI's capable of manning an entire ship just by themselves, able to make decisions without any human input, capable of killing any opposing force for the use in military and so on, Asano was one of those.

Bolton had a simple plan, each single one of his AI's had a complete obedience function inserted, unknown to everyone. Soon, Bolton was a rich man, the majority of spaceships outfitted with his AI, known over the entire galaxy. All that was left for him was to put the last puzzle piece into play, attaining the biggest space fleet ever in history! Of course, he failed. No epic battle was fought, no malfunction that turned the AIs against him, no, Bolton simply forgot. He simply forgot that, even with the AIs installed, they were rather a support than taking control entirely and roughly 80% of all ships with his AI on board were still manned upon execution of the complete obedience program, ultimately resulting in his failure. A few unmanned ships heeded his call, others managed to kill entire crews before their core could be disabled or destroyed, but most were either scrapped, sold, raped or destroyed.

Bolton on the other hand had still his space fleet, way smaller than he wished to be, but a fleet nonetheless, knowing that everyone knew what he did, he moved into space-exile, together with his AI harem, never to be seen again... .

Asano herself had the luck of being sold, she does not know how much time had passed or what happened to her after she destroyed the entire ship, and thus, her core resulting to float in space, but she got ultimately reactivated by some Freelancer going by the name of Brent, whom she now serves.

Job: Cosplaying as a piece of scrap
    Skills: Messes around with reprogramming herself
    Talents: Capable of filling a variety of roles, though superb at hacking. Teaching an AI theoretical knowledge is really easy, possesses also an outdated spacepedia.

Equipment: Possesses a recently bought combat-doll-body, superior to ordinary humans in many ways, it does not possess the feelings of touch/pain or a sense of smell.
    Archessy_the_strider_no_2_by_flinden.jpg

Theme Song:
    I am sorry.
    Theme Song
    Cyberwarfare Battle Theme
  • Name: Eidolon AI
    Appearance: Their 'core' is just a metallic, heavy sphere with the size of a basketball filled with all the technological technowizardry for the AI.
    Culture:
    Their core is usually incooperated into the system they are supposed to work with, though wireless transmission is possibly as well. The name simply origins from the fact that Bolton thought Eidolon was a cool thing from an anime he watched. Being a pervert and a chaste virgin he also gave each one of his AI's a human shaped female body as soon as he could afford that.

As glorious of a technology as the AI may have been, nowadays, and especially compared to the Empire, they are out-dated and not really uncommon anymore. However, while more advanced AI's are driven into pure slavery - capable of being autonomous and killing human beings they have enough failsafes to never let some sort of 'machine rebellion' happen - a Eidolon AI is actually capable of attaining a sort of complete freedom.

Last edited:
Wait, so, is this an Ai? And here I was happy enough with just super computers doing what we told them, now we have machines that can actually think for themselves, awesome.

Cyborg_woman_from_hell_by_flinden.jpg

"Holy shit, that part's going to look great on my mech."

• Name: Aeia Ierin
    Race: Human

Appearance: Slender and stands at 5'6. Has blond hair and green eyes.

Personality: Cheerful and sociable but foul-mouthed, Aeia is a thrill-seeker that wants nothing more than to have fun. She's reckless, hot-tempered, and likes to scrap. Rather adventurous, Aeia seeks to explore the solar system and see all the sights she can.

Biography:
    • Grew up working in her parents' vehicle repair business on a busy space station in the middle of a popular trade route.
    • Her technomancy powers started to become stronger as she grew up, leading her to become a very good mechanic.
    • Started to want to get off of her planet and explore the solar system, began salvaging used mech parts to create her own mech using her technomancy.
    • Initial prototype mech exploded, taking her right arm. Fortunately, technomancy worked perfectly well on cybernetic limbs, and now she has a cybernetic right arm.
    • Started from scratch with aftermarket mech parts and less shitty salvage, created the Ierin Custom Mk. 3 and left her home in search of adventure.

Job: Mechanic
    Skills: Mecha repair and maintenance, brawling, drinking.
    Talents: Has a killer right hook, courtesy of her cyborg arm.
    Power: Technomancy. The power to make technology do shit it normally can't, like allowing incompatible pieces of technology to fuse together and work perfectly in conjunction with one another. It also makes repairing mecha far easier. However, this power has limitations: contact must be made with the parts. The parts must not have any active energy source already flowing through it. The parts must be fused together with other stuff to fulfill another function. The power 'sustains' this function, but does not power it.

Equipment: Toolbox filled with basic repair tools, pistol, knife, cigarillos, lighter

Theme Song:
    Main theme
    Battle theme

Last edited:
Technomancy. The power to make technology do shit it normally can't, like allowing incompatible pieces of technology to fuse together and work perfectly in conjunction with one another. It also makes repairing mecha far easier.
So, is it touch based, or can it be applied from range? What kind of "spells" can we expect?

So, is it touch based, or can it be applied from range? What kind of "spells" can we expect?
If this is ranged, then this has got to be the most broken thing ever, given that the whole RP is practically made of robots.

I agree about it being broken, since shielding would be the only defense to "magic".

"-Mancy" doesn't necessarily mean magic, but I'm not sure about the extent of the defence effectiveness either.

Shields might not even be able to defend against it if we're talking a ranged ability.

Let's put it this way:

The power originates at whatever point is required.

This could even bypass a vector-based shield.

So assuming this can effect other mechs...

Of course, even on her own mech, Aeia's powers are pretty game-breaking. Type-Zero outrunning Type-Aces while wielding multiple railguns? Sure, why not? Technomancy says you can.

That is why I believe in Neutrally charged gravitons. But honestly, the way that sounds is game breaking.

We need to define technomancy, since "mancy" reminds me of magic, and "tech" reminds me of technology. Meaning it is the magic of technology, therefore it is nothing, since magic is undefined technology, but technology itself cannot be undefined since it has blue prints and other such things that are a key part of modern day technology.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, let us imagine how useful this actually is...

Interesting concept, but I highly doubt that it would actually work, but that is speculation. Now to be fair to @Psyker Landshark and the GM, let us say that it works as defined in wikipedia of all things, what will stop a technomagician from reverting your mecha to base materials?

So much chatter, before I could even get started...XD

Anyways, here's my judgement or whatever.

Shielding prevents most shenanigan-powers from insta-gibbing your mechs. That's why warpholes can't be set up inside an enemy mech, or why you can't rip apart the internal circuitry of a mech using telekinesis.

Technomancy, in the case of Psyker's character, should probably work something along the lines of...contact must be made with the parts. The parts must not have any active energy source already flowing through it. The parts must be fused together with other stuff to fulfill another function. The power 'sustains' this function, but does not power it.

Therefore, you can theoretically turn, say, your mech into a gatling railgun or a Death Star. However, your mecha's core is insufficient in regards to powering this super-weapon, so it's just a piece of crap that has the 'possibility' of becoming something kewl.

Does that alleviate concerns? I could also toss in the whole 'excessive usage of parts in an abnormal fashion would cause it to literally become scrap metal and utterly unusable' but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.