Laid-back search

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in both the faustian contract and mixing of mythologies concepts though I'm a bit confused and curious about the 'monsters' original concept and what you mean by that. owo
I added that 'monsters' bit because I'm quite tired of people that want absolutely deplorable characters (especially when they're supernatural) to be defrosted by a saccharine smol innocent human girl, as an example. I get it a lot since I play darker characters, antagonists, or those aligned on the chaotic and 'evil' (not necessarily chaotic evil) lines. The Defrosting Ice King/Queen/Monarch trope is great and all, but I'm sick to death of seeing it all the time, hence why I put that there.

My monsters are not beholden to random characters that people make in an attempt to romance them; they will care about who they care about and damn the rest. (And/or they're conflicted or have inner issues that take precedence over romance, for the most part.) My monsters, ideally, act like actual monsters; the idea of someone innocent and the personification of purity and 'good' trying to tame them (or even if they're not that, just the whole 'taming' deal) is a joke.

I also put that bit there because it's the same attitude I have toward certain canons I play, like Sebastian and Alucard. Romancing them will take a lot of grueling work and I'm picky about whom I play them opposite and what characters I'll accept, if I accept romance for those types at all. If they're willingly putting themselves into romance and I'm at the helm (and I take great pains to avoid breaking canon), it's more likely to be because the 'romance' serves a purpose for them. It's a means to an end.

I also personally don't like the pressure of having to conform to romantic expectations OOC, so I avoid them like a plague if possible.

I wanted to be forward with my answer, so I'm sorry if I seem aggressive.

Anyway! If you'd like, you can PM me/I can PM you.

edit: to clarify, my "monsters" do come in many flavors. That point was geared more toward the more malignant of "monsters" and those who come along hoping to write opposite them as a form of wish fulfillment with a character created for the express purpose of seducing them, which then turns into a shitshow lol

I've gotten it a lot over the years, so I'm wary of the whole "dominant supernatural/monster x submissive human" deal that has still, after all these years, not lost any popularity

Last edited:
Heh... that monsters thing caught my attention, too. Once presented a "Beauty And The Beast" idea that involved the "Beauty" becoming a beast, rather than the beast becoming human. A twist on the story.

@Pheebs Hey, sorry, I didn't see your post. I haven't heard the song, so I'll have to give it a listen to, but otherwise I am interested in hearing more about this.

@Roose Hurro
KtTlUGK.gif

@castigat ...

squirrel.jpg

Well, yes, there's the whole twist an existing story thing like that, but today I just had the idea for a twist on the concept of a "demon"... they are, in essence, monsters... yes, an idea involving a "multi-dimensional" being that gains existence in the physical worlds of the Multiverse by "slapping together" various physical aspects from their manifest reality, resulting in them taking on "monstrous" forms. So no, no sweet little human person will change their nature, if one of these individual "demons" happens to have a bad attitude. Though I'd imagine, just like humans, such beings would indeed be individuals. It also just occurred to me that they may have to use some living organism as a "base"... a seed, if you will, to allow their manifestation. Definitely a concept ripe for development.

Though I still like the idea of twisting Beauty and the Beast into a Beast and Beast direction. Which would actually make for a very different story. Heh... there's a webcomic called "By The Book"... all about three monsters finding an "Adventurer's Guidebook" and deciding to become adventurers, themselves. Yes, create a story in which the monsters are the "heroes". Perhaps just a pair, perhaps more, just trying to live like any other people/creatures. But driven by circumstances in an unexpected direction.

@castigat ...
Well, yes, there's the whole twist an existing story thing like that, but today I just had the idea for a twist on the concept of a "demon"... they are, in essence, monsters... yes, an idea involving a "multi-dimensional" being that gains existence in the physical worlds of the Multiverse by "slapping together" various physical aspects from their manifest reality, resulting in them taking on "monstrous" forms. So no, no sweet little human person will change their nature, if one of these individual "demons" happens to have a bad attitude. Though I'd imagine, just like humans, such beings would indeed be individuals. It also just occurred to me that they may have to use some living organism as a "base"... a seed, if you will, to allow their manifestation. Definitely a concept ripe for development.

Though I still like the idea of twisting Beauty and the Beast into a Beast and Beast direction. Which would actually make for a very different story. Heh... there's a webcomic called "By The Book"... all about three monsters finding an "Adventurer's Guidebook" and deciding to become adventurers, themselves. Yes, create a story in which the monsters are the "heroes". Perhaps just a pair, perhaps more, just trying to live like any other people/creatures. But driven by circumstances in an unexpected direction.
That first bit is a concept I've seen, haha. I'm being narrow in my description because it's fashionable to favor the humanoid _____ evil characters in order to shoehorn romance and provide some "conflict" by way of this poor person's plight in having to work so hard to get on their good side /s
Being individuals, like any other character, these do come in all shapes, sizes, guises, and so on; it's rare that someone wants a physically monstrous monster, though. They'd like a visually acceptable one with a shitty attitude that needs 'correcting' instead; while I do enjoy writing these types of monsters immensely because of their ability to go incognito, I don't enjoy seeing the same hackneyed things ad infinitum in response to them, you know?

For some reason, the description of this is reminding me of Shrek lmao

For some reason, the description of this is reminding me of Shrek lmao

You know, you're right! Though, personally, I'm not into humanoid "critters". I would prefer my "Beast" to BE a beast. And wouldn't the story be better if, yes, the human "Beauty" fell in love, but the Beast could not return it. Kinda like how girls fall in love with horses, but the horses don't return that love. Well, perhaps, but not in a human fashion. A Beast who was born a beast, not a human turned into one. Again, like Shrek. Who, we are told, loved being an ogre. Why not a Beast who is proud to be a beast? No spell to break, even if he did come to love Beauty. How that would change the story!

You know, you're right! Though, personally, I'm not into humanoid "critters". I would prefer my "Beast" to BE a beast. And wouldn't the story be better if, yes, the human "Beauty" fell in love, but the Beast could not return it. Kinda like how girls fall in love with horses, but the horses don't return that love. Well, perhaps, but not in a human fashion. A Beast who was born a beast, not a human turned into one. Again, like Shrek. Who, we are told, loved being an ogre. Why not a Beast who is proud to be a beast? No spell to break, even if he did come to love Beauty. How that would change the story!
I like where you're going with this.

It's the same principle I put to humanoid beasties, except in most cases, they're only humanoid because it's a form that people are comfortable with. Most of the time they're beasties (in supernatural settings, anyway, not fantasy) that prey on humans and it wouldn't do to look grotesque in front of them. That would scare them away, you see. They can look quite safe or seductive, but that is all a part of the ruse.

So what I'm decrying is a bit different from what you're describing, which I favor.

We each have our own approaches. My critters tend to look "dangerous" but just so happen to be civilized beings. While yours look "civilized", but are patently dangerous. Both can be fun. Just in different ways.

Reactions: castigat
Added samples to first post—well, will be samples. I've got a lot more writing than that, but it's the first I've put into an actual blog.

*I don't always write in present tense, but wanted to try it out

I'm not really good with fandom type roleplays; as I'm awful writing for characters I haven't made myself, and honestly I have SO LITTLE experience writing in fandom based roleplays, I think I would end up embarrassing myself.

But I am pretty interested in those original ideas! I've been looking for someone to challenge me, not meaning I'm a fab writer, as in... something less predictable. I've been handed all the roleplay tropes, and clichéd romance plotlines... and honestly, I'm kinda done with them.

Can't say I've ever done a Faustian Contract type thing before, that said, all the original ideas sound fun.

I've had a writing block for over a year, and I think something different could really bring that excitement that roleplay used to bring me.

Can't say I've ever done a Faustian Contract type thing before, that said, all the original ideas sound fun.
Never done one? I assume you'd like to try? lmao

That said, I've got an idea either way, though I admit I'd like to find a setting (I enjoy) where I play the demon, so if you're more interested in the contractee role, I'm just as down for that.

Never done one? I assume you'd like to try? lmao

That said, I've got an idea either way, though I admit I'd like to find a setting (I enjoy) where I play the demon, so if you're more interested in the contractee role, I'm just as down for that.
Yeah, I'd definitely like to give it a go!

Oh yeah, I'm completely fine with you playing the demon. If you want, I can PM you, or you can PM me.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to give it a go!

Oh yeah, I'm completely fine with you playing the demon. If you want, I can PM you, or you can PM me.
I'm actually getting ready to turn in (what timing), so if you could do that so I'm reminded to reply to you tomorrow, that would be fantastic. I apologize if it's an inconvenience, haha.

I'm actually getting ready to turn in (what timing), so if you could do that so I'm reminded to reply to you tomorrow, that would be fantastic. I apologize if it's an inconvenience, haha.

Oh yeah that's fine, I'll send a PM your way!

Updated first post with availability changes. Still looking.

Read your whole thing and think we could be a good match, and I have an idea. Want to do something dystopian in a hot world (think fury road landskape, if you've seen it) with a bounty hunter, who capters someone with a bounty on them and than as to travel a great distance to deliver them. Aka lots of potential trouble happening on the way. I really want to play the bounty hunter, and I know you said you were picky about who you wrote your villains with, but I really wouldn't expect any romance to happen here if that was the main worry.

I cannot update too much of my main post at the moment (on mobile).

Things are rocky, but I wish to feed my inspiration.

Please PM me for interest; I'll get back to you ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.