Knight on Time

With some hesitance, Mariland was slowly herded into a dressing room to change and try on all the things the worker picked out.

Joel waited outside the dressing room, pulling out his phone to play a game while he waited.

Mariland came out in the first outfit. It was a dark blue blouse with puffy sleeves and a long denim skirt. It seemed to fit her quite well.

Joel looked up, raising his eyebrows. "Well? What do you think?" He smiled a little. "Is it itchy?"

"Not itchy. Quite comfortable honestly." She admitted. "It feels very light....I'm not used to it." She laughed weakly as she turned around for him. Her boots looked mildly silly beneath the skirt.

He grinned wider. "Yeah, but it's not as protective as armor, either. It looks like we'll have to find you a few pairs of shoes as well."

"Even compared to what was considered normal clothing it seems a bit....light..." She smiled a bit. "Does it look good on me?"

Joel nodded. "Yes, yes, it does. Of course, I'm getting the feeling that just about everything that you try on you will look good in."

Mariland looked at him and made a face. "I am going to pretend that is a compliment." she said before returning to the dressing room. The next outfit seemed to be a green top and a long black skirt.

"It was intended to be one, so...you better!" As she walked out in the second outfit, he asked if this one was comfortable as well.

Mariland nodded as she turned around for him. "Yes, it's quite comfortable. Very lightweight." She looked almost professional in the outfit.

"It's another outfit you look good in. Although," he added, "it looks a little more...formal than the last."

"Oh...is it too much?" She asked tilting her head.

The worker giggled. "Every girl needs a date night outfit!" She said.

Mariland raised an eyebrow. "Err...I do not think that is quite right." She said, "Not what I'm looking for."

Joel opened his mouth to protest when she asked if the outfit was too much, immediately shutting his mouth when the worker spoke. "It's not bad, really. If we ever go to any black tie restaurants, you will need something fancier to wear..."

"B-black tie?" She looked confused.

The worker shook her head. "Oh no for something like that this girl needs to SPARKLE." She said before hurrying off and coming back with a fetching but glittery dress. "Go put this on! Sapphire blue will look GREAT on you!" She said hurrying her back into the fitting room.

Joel was about to explain what a black-tie restaurant was, but the worker had something to say once more. He caught a glimpse of the dress, wondering if Mariland would be comfortable in something like that. He also wondered if Mariland would even come close to the enthusiasm that the worker had about the clothes.

Mariland was in the dressing room for a lot longer. This was harder for her to put on and the staff member soon had to swoop in and help, grabbing a few extra things. When she came out she was in a sleeveless, knee length dress. It sparkled and shimmered. The worker beamed. "Now this is an outfit worthy of a fancy restaurant." She proclaimed.

As soon as Mariland walked out of the dressing room, Joel's eyebrows practically shot into his hairline. He scratched the back of his neck, looking away and then clearing his throat. "Wow, um...Mariland..." Joel scrambled to find words that would accurately describe her in the dress. "You look...very...very...pretty." He failed.

The worker giggled and nodded. "That's one way to put it."

Mariland smiled meekly. "Ah, I do? That is good. It's a very fine dress."

Joel nodded, smiling. "Yes...is it comfortable?" He asked, grasping at straws at this point.