Knight on Time

"It was....confusing to put on and...the outside is mildly itchy...." She admitted, "but it's nice. I can tolerate this." She said. The worker smiled and nodded.

"Well, that's good." He felt that if he looked at her for too long, he would get mesmerized by the sparkles, yet he wouldn't look away.

"Then you'll have to get this outfit at least. The color is gorgeous on you! Now let's go try that green shirt with some jeans."

Mariland was rushed back into the dressing room.

Joel was willing to buy her whatever it was that she wanted, and she needed more than one outfit, especially something that was more...casual. The worker wasn't wrong; the color did look very nice on Mariland.

She soon came out with the green shirt but with light washed flare jeans. "How...does this look?" She asked.

The worker nodded in appreciation.

"You're going to fit right in," he replied. "How does it feel to wear pants?"

Mariland nodded. "They are....surprisingly comfortable." She said. "They work well."

He nodded. "That's good. I'm glad you find them comfortable. I like the..." he tried to remember what the style of the bottom of the jeans was called. "Uh...flare!"

Mariland smiled and laughed a bit. "They are different but very comfortable."

The saleswoman smiled. "Is that all you two need?"

"We also might need some new shoes," Joel said. "I'm not sure her boots will go with everything."

"Oh absolutely! I know shoes that will go with that dress! But you'll want to go somewhere else for sneakers." The worker said warmly.

Mariland looked at her. "Sneakers? Are they....extra quiet?"

"Huh? Oh yeah! I take it English isn't you fist language? You sound suuuuuper natural!" The woman said. "I'll need to figure out your shoe size! Go sit down a moment!"

Joel led her to a comfortable-looking chair. "Actually, I think that's why they were called sneakers, yeah. They're also called tennis shoes, and I'm just going to assume that the first or most practical use was for tennis. I'm not exactly brushed up on my sneaker history," he said with a chuckle. "They're usually pretty comfortable."

Mariland sat down and smiled, learning more about the world. The worker came back with a shoe sizer.

"All right let me see one of your feet." She said.

Mariland frowned but did as she asked. The worker pulled off her boot and measured her foot before nodding. "All right size 9. I can do that! I'll be right back!" She said before walking off again.

Joel was quiet for a moment after the worker had walked away again. "Would you care if we just stopped by Walmart for your tennis shoes?"

"Wall.....mart? Wlerr...I suppose that's fine. I am not particular as they aren't for battle." She blinked.

The worker came back with the shoes. "Okay try these on and see how they fit!" She said cheerfully.

Mariland slowly removed her boots and worked on putting the shoes on. Her feet felt weird being so exposed but she had no troubles with them.

He watched her expectantly. "Well? How do they feel?"

Mariland stood up and felt a little unsteady. She took a few minutes to get used to them. "I suppose they will work." She said with a shrug. She sat back down and took them off and put her boots back on. "I'll go change back into my things."

The worker nodded. "A bit of time and you'll get used to them!ç

Joel agreed with the worker, although he noticed how she didn't seem exactly...happy with the shoes. "They're not for everyday use," he added, trying to make her feel better.

"I can tell that." Mariland said before going back to the changing room. The worker smiled.

Joel fell quiet, rocking on his feet as he waited for her once more.