Ivy

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Mhm," Ethan responded easily. "I think they'll love it. And you, too." He didn't think too much of it at the time, considering he had grown accustomed to the city for years. There wasn't crime everywhere, unless you went deep into the ghetto.
"Ethan," she shook her head hastily, "they're just little girls! And they... they're not even human. What if they get hurt?"
"They won't, Ivy! It's just ice cream. I swear they'll be fine. Don't worry about it." After spending several hard weeks overwhelmed with depression and war, surely those girls needed a little sweetness in their lives, even if it was something as small as a vanilla sundae.
"And what if something happens? What if someone sees you, Ethan? It's scary out there for girls like them!"
"The only one that seems to be scared is you, Ivy! They love the place. And as I said, they'll be fine. It's just ice cream, and we don't even have to stay."

Ethan had never lost his temper with Ivy, and almost instantly he tried to draw it back. He just didn't want Lia and the others to be unhappy. Being cooped up in one place just to be cooped up in another was far from healthy, and he did promise they wouldn't get hurt. Ethan wasn't breaking that.

She bit at her lip, "you don't understand my fear, Eth, not at all..."
"I do understand it, Ivy. But is it a little exaggerated? Yeah. We'll just get the ice cream and come right back. Simple."

Protectiveness was a trait Ivy had acquired from her mother. Since she was just a tiny tot, she could remember her mother warning all her children - always to be careful, never to go too far, never to get themselves into danger. She forced them to remain confined to the village, always fearing that dangers that lay beyond its walls. Ivy could feel that same fear pulsing through her as she looke at Ethan, his eyes tinged with hurt and the slightest bit of annoyance.

The young woman drew herself closer to him, her nose almost grazing his chin. "They are all I have right now... I don't know what happened at home, or what I have left now." She didn't know how in the world her father would remain in touch, or if he would ever be able to tell her of the true danger they faced. The thought made her stomach lurch.

"It's much worse there then it is here, to put things in perspective."
"But they could get stolen, or hit by a car? Or something could fall on them, or be hurt by something. What if their wings slip? Then wait... you try to pass it off as a costume?"
Ethan arched his eyebrows in amusement. "Trust me, all of those things are highly unlikely. Impossible when I'm around them. So, relax, for me? And we'll just keep their wings hidden."
Ivy touched Ethan's squared jaw, his rough stubble meeting her fingertips as she dragged downwards. Tears teemed in her eyes, "please Ethan, be careful for me... I-I can't lose anything else."
"I promise."
She kissed his chin, "as I said, I trust you."

The next day Ethan had taken the time to first call his father, whom had the largest amount of missed calls on his phone. The man usually didn't worry, but if his son suddenly stopped contacting back for weeks on end, it was normal for him to get worrisome. After all, Ethan had dreaded returning back to that forest in the first place, so to suddenly love it? He doubted his old man believed the story.

"Look who it is! My estranged son finally calling back! What the hell happened, kid?"
Obviously Ethan couldn't tell him the truth for the safety of Ivy and the girls, so he contemplated his words carefully. "The electricity went down in grandma's house but by the time a technician was able to come out and fix it, I was already on my way home."
His father paused for several seconds and for a moment Ethan wasn't sure if he bought his story or not. Thankfully, a tiny sigh filtered through this ear, followed by, "Alright, well, did you have a good time?"
"It was nice."
"Well, I found a housekeeper. She starts next month."
It was his turn to remain deadly silent.
"Son?"
"Yeah?"
"Is that okay with you?"
"Y-Yeah that's fine."
"Alright, I'm off to work. Talk later. Oh, and make sure to call back your brother later today. He's trying to act all macho and pretend he wasn't scared shitless you'd never return. He almost sent out a search party!"
The corners of Ethan's lips twitched but he nodded anyways. "Right, will do. Bye."

The phone clicked and he was left to his own devices once more. The only thing he had to take care of at this point was the dilemma with his boss. Ethan had left a box of fresh bagels on the table, some orange juice from the supermarket, and a few boxes of cereal until he could properly shop later. Of course he knew they didn't need it, but Lia had constantly raved about how she wanted to try his sort of food anyways.

So tearing a piece of paper from the coffee table, he scribbled a messy note on the counter that read:

"I got bagels. Heading off to talk with my boss. Be back soon."

"Lia I have no idea how that works or what it does or how to use it so please just leave it alone! You can ask Ethan when he gets home if you would life," Ivy explained as she rocked the baby back and forth in her arms.
At the moment, Cornelia was pushing all sorts of buttons and knobs on what Ivy assumed to be the television set. Since she had woken a few hours ago, the little girl couldn't help but explore every part of Ethan's apartment. Ruby was never too far behind although she was most keen on bouncing around with a small doll Ethan had given her from God-knows-where.
"Look, look! It turns on!" Lia cried.
Ivy stepped into the adjacent living room only to hear the TV blaring the local news. It showed scarily accurate images of what had occured in Chicago today; horrid stories of robbery and rape and murder. Ivy cringed and asked the girl to turn it off, but Lia had forgotten what button she had pressed.
So instead the girls stood by the couch, mesmorized by the images. They were so lifelike, as though someone had taken the piece of Chicago, shrunk it, and put it inside of that screen. It was a little scary for Ivy, but Lia and Ruby thought it was the coolest thing ever. Their excitement only heightened when they learned that there were more stations, some even more suited to their taste and ages.
Kissing Anna's forehead, Ivy smiled weakly, "what are we going to do with them, precious? Getting themselves into trouble... Ethan's not going to want us if we are fooling with his stuff."

"Don't worry so much about it."
Ethan's voice startled Ivy so much that she jumped and the baby began to wail.

After soothing the screaming child and coddling her against her shoulder, Ivy smiled at him, "I thought you would be gone all day."
"Nah, just needed to speak with my boss," he responded with a soft smile.
"Is everything alright?" she inquired.
"Yeah. I can work from home for 6 months or so. Definitely more than enough time."
Ivy smiled weakly, noting the relief and exhaustion in his eyes. She imagined the predicament was as taxing on him as it was on her. "Thank you Eth... for, for making that sacrafice.. for us."
He shrugged. "No problem. As long as you guys are safe and comfortable."

She smiled wider at that before passing the baby off to Ethan. Immediately the small child cuddled into his chest, absorbing his warmth and soothing embrace.

Gripping his hand, Ivy led him into the next room. "The girls figured out how to turn on your television, and have been in front of it ever since."
"Mm, really? Well I figured they'd enjoy it. But what have you been doing the whole day?" he questioned with a playful smirk.
Her cheeks flushed, "well... I made sure the girls ate, and Anna has been crying a lot. And then I took one of the books off your shelf, though it wasn't very appealing..."

Ethan was glad to see Ivy and the girls were perfectly fine. After all, he was trying to be a relatively decent host. Given he had no experience with children and never had to worry about anyone other than himself, he thought he was doing a pretty decent job considering everyone looked happy enough. Ivy had been right about the girls being completely enthralled with the television, which brought him to wonder if they would even be up for some ice cream later. Eh, he'd cross that bridge when he got there.

But for now, his attentions were mostly focused on Ivy, and making sure she was enjoying herself just as much as the kids.

"You were probably looking at one of my college books. I can dig up a fantasy one if you want it. I have a pretty awesome collection, if I do say so myself," Ethan teased with another grin. He had no idea how to hold a baby, but he had settled for placing her close against his chest.
She smiled slightly, "if you don't mind. I'm not sure what your books are like, but I used to read a lot at home."
"Yeah, I can definitely have a few you can look through." Ethan paused, glancing down at the baby momentarily once she started spitting up. Thankfully, it landed nowhere near his shirt. "You coming to get ice cream with us later?" He asked mostly because he didn't want Ivy being stuck in a cramped apartment all day.
Ivy shook her head hastily, "I'll stay back with Anna."
"She can come too, y'know. It's not healthy to stay in here all day."
"I'm afraid, Eth..."

Ethan would have consoled her if there wasn't a baby in his hand, so he settled for a sympathetic smile. "Trust me, Ivy, you'll be perfectly safe. Anna will, too."
"I don't know any part of your world, though. What if I say something wrong, or what if someone sees us?"
"You'll be fine, Ivy. I'll make sure of it. You said you trusted me, didn't you?"

"Of course I trust you," she explained, looking down at the baby instead of into his eyes, "it's the rest of the world I don't trust."
They were so many possible things that could go wrong; Ivy had never been one to worry so much but someone had to look out for the safety of herself and the children. Of course she knew that Ethan would never purposely bring them harm, but Ivy felt as though he didn't realize how much trouble two young girls could get themselves into.
"If you just go out into it, you'll realize not everyones out to spite you. Did the girls watch the news? It's naturally depressing. I wouldn't be surprised if you got the wrong impression just from that."
Moving forward, Ivy came closer to Ethan but kept her focus on the baby. Reaching out, she stroked the child's mop of sandy blond hair and her smooth cheeks of porcelain.
"You take the girls out, I'll come next time," she murmured. Right now, she felt like she just needed some time to herself - time to adapt to this world, to collect her thoughts once more.

~ ~ ~

"I'm afraid," she whispered as Ethan fixed the button on her sweater.
On his way home from the meeting, Ethan had managed to pick up a few items for the new girls in his life. This included several pairs of pants, dresses, and t-shirts, all looking like the relatively right sizes. Ivy's was a little big in some places and too small in others, but the thing she hated most was the undergarments. How could human women function everyday with these things on? Ethan said it was a modesty thing, but Ivy just called it unecessary.
Now they were just about to go out for some dessert, the girls teeming with excitement and zeal. Ivy was somehow convinced into the outing, although her gut told her it was the wrong decision.

Ethan smiled lightly, "you trust me, don't you?"
She nodded with a slightly forced smile.
He chuckled, "then do it."
Planting a gentle and discrete kiss on his lips, Ivy whispered, "I'm trying my best."

They eventually left for the ice cream parlor, Ethan leading the way as Ivy held Anne close to her chest, Lia and Ruby quick to match his pace. Thankfully, no one gave them any extraordinary stares as the group of five moved through the semi-crowded streets. He was glad to be amongst Chicago's evening buzz once again, and in spite of Ivy's world being beautiful, it was comforting to be in his own. After all, Ethan still wanted to pursue his dreams of climbing the ladder in journalism with a little bit of creative writing on the side and that was something that would work better in a world that was much more advanced.

They soon arrived at the ice cream parlor around five PM, the room thick with a smell of vanilla bean and sprinkles. Lia's eyes widened like a child's on Christmas morning, and for some reason, it caused Ethan's chest to warm considerably. He didn't care what race a kid was – they all liked ice cream; point blank.

Ethan was the first to approach the counter, the familiar face greeting him with a wide smile.

"Eth, my boy! What have you been up to? I haven't seen you come here for a scoop in weeks? Usually you're with some pretty little thing, too," he paused, glancing at the group behind him, "unless that's why?"
Ethan snickered. "They're friends of mine. I'm taking care of them for a bit as a favor. And what would you girls like?"

He glanced down at Lia and Ruby, who widened their eyes at the menu in awe. Suddenly they were pointing at a bunch of flavors and toppings, their grins only expanding.

"We'll have a little bit of everything," Ethan finally concluded, the girls giggling in happiness. Ivy ended up with a vanilla scoop her and Anne would share, while he ordered the Rocky Roads.

"We can get a table," he suggested.

The human world seemed so formal and well organized. And as unfamiliar as Ivy was with it, she found the routine and quirks of the humans quite interesting. She watched Ethan as he ordered the ice cream from the man across the corner, handing him a few pieces of worn paper in return for the scoops of ice cream. The drawer in front of the man popped open, he took out a few metal pieces and handed them back to Ethan.
Back home, the girls would have simply gotten their share with just an exchange of a smile and a warm greeting.
For the sake of fitting in though, Ivy didn't question it - later she'd grill her male companion for more answers.

"Mine tastes sweet but salty!" Lia grinned as they seated themselves at a table. She had ice cream already all over her face, but not as much as little Ruby who seemed to be getting it everywhere but in her mouth. Ivy, despite her discomfort with the situation, couldn't help but laugh softly at that and offered the girls some napkins.
"What is yours like, Ivy?" she asked curiously.
Ivy smiled lightly and shrugged her shoulders innocently. Dunking her finger into her ice cream, she put it to Anna's mouth and allowed the tiny baby to suckle the sweet dessert off of her finger. "I haven't tried any yet, but I bet it's nice and sweet, look at Anna gobbling it up!"
Soon Ethan sat down, his own scoop of ice cream already half gone. He offered Ivy a soft smile and she returned it nervously.

"So you glad that you came?" he asked, raising an eyebrow playfully.
She nodded her head slightly, "I am. The girls seem to be enjoying it the most, though."

Ethan's lips turned upwards slightly, the sight of the girls enjoying their ice cream and Ivy looking generally at ease pleasing him in ways he didn't even understand. He was glad they were enjoying bits and pieces from his world, and he only hoped he'd be able to make it everything they wanted it to be for the time they spent here.
Eventually they finished their ice cream, Lia wanting to look around the store a bit more before they were out the doors, the sun sinking behind a plethora of large buildings. Cars whizzed by, people beginning to properly clog the streets for the evening rush. Ivy tensed from next to him, holding onto his arm, Anna tucked tightly on her chest.

"Ethan, what is this?" she questioned wildly.
"It just gets a little busier at night, no worries," Ethan responded, keeping the girls close, no matter how much they wanted to wander.

As much as Ethan knew the city like the back of his hand, he knew Ivy would massacre him if one of them ran off too far and got lost in the crowd.

"I don't like this! Let's go home, now," she whimpered, tightly gripping Ruby's hand.
"We're a few minutes away," he responded, trying to keep his voice as calm as possible in hopes it would soothe her. "Nothing'll happen."

The sky was beginning to darken despite the early hour; fall was on its way and with it came the cooler nights and much shorter days. Ivy wasn't used to the bright lights and nightlife that filled the streets and gripped her girls close, watching their every move to ensure they didn't stray.
Her eyes darted about as they gradually moved through the busy streets of downtown Chicago. The girls were enthralled by the many shops that they passed, especially the toy shop at the corner. Ruby seemed to be eying a scruffy looking teddy bear, and as much as Ivy didn't endorse this world, she knew it was something the little girl pined for - she'd be sure to come back with Ethan somebody to buy it for the little tyke's birthday.

As they gradually made their way back to the parkade, Ivy couldn't help but notice a man with wild hair and a lean, messily clothed frame following them a few metres behind. Everytime she turned he would look away to the road or shops, but by the way he remained on their heals, she knew something wasn't quite right about him.

Ivy stroked Anna's hair, lulling her into sleep, with one hand and with the other she gripped onto Ethan. "Eth, whose the man following us?" she inquired quietly.
He glanced over at the man. "Are you sure he's following us?"
She nodded nervously.

And suddenly, as though he had heard their words, the man seemed to cross to the next section of pavement, walking in stride with the little girls. They were a few steps behind, though Ivy never once lost her grip.
Ethan attempted to reassure the young woman that he was just a homeless man probably looking for change, but Ivy wasn't about to buy it. Even if the girls weren't her children her maternal side and come out as soon as her mother had passed. Now, protectiveness wrapped around her, and her eyes bore into the man with such animousity she was surprised she didn't burn a hole right through his coat.

What did happen, however, surprised the young woman to a great extent. The moment her glare had caught the man's eyes he had haulted, clutching his chest in agony and crying out inhumanly loud. His breathing suddenly ragged, pain contorted his face and he groaned out for help.

Suddenly Ethan was in front of her and Ivy's gaze had broken, her fingers still gripping his and the girls with immense force. After their eye contact had broken the man's shrieking had stopped but people were beginning to flock, speaking of heart attacks and an ambulance.

---

They eventually made it back home in one piece but Ethan couldn't help but feel bewildered by the ordeal on the street. Surely no one could just have a heart attack in the middle of nowhere; well, they could, but having it happen so abruptly, just for the pain to automatically seize, rang alarms in Ethan's head. It just wasn't…rational! But the other justification he had made just as little sense. Ivy couldn't have caused it right? She couldn't have possibly inflicted someone else pain?

Fairies could do that?

Ethan felt his thoughts in an absolute flurry once the door was closed behind them, the children supposedly unaffected as Lia and Ruby bounced about the living room, promising they'd get ready for bed after one more episode of Loony Tunes. As for Anna, Ivy moved into the corridor to privately care for her while leaving Ethan at the island in his kitchen, pressing the rim of a beer bottle to his lips before taking large swallows.

Nothing had to be said aloud for Ethan to know a discussion was broiling. As soon as the kids were tucked away and couldn't intervene, they'd talk about what the hell happened, and what it could have possibly meant. He, personally, prepped himself with a Corona, watching the girls before the television screen with vague interest, his thoughts centered evidently on other things.

"Don't sit so close to the screen. It ruins your eyes," he advised numbly, ushering the girls backwards before they frowned slightly, albeit obliging.

Ivy didn't know what to think anymore; she could feel the tension in the air when they had gotten back to the apartment, seen the questions in Ethan's eyes. At first she had hoped he would write it off as a fluke thing - but then again, the man had collasped just as Ivy had been glaring at him. What kind of a coincidence was that?

Still, she tried to avoid the conversation as best as she could. She fed and rocked Anna and watched TV with the girls. Even when the two were brought to bed she tried to keep herself busy and away from Ethan, tending to her things in the bedroom.

It had been years, possibly even a decade, since Ivy had done something like that. Her mother had taught her well as a child to keep her emotions at bay for that very reason; early in life they had realized that Ivy possessed a powerful, albeit terrible, gift that needed to be harnessed before damage was done. She had been resentful and better her childhood years, watching as her siblings enjoyed their talents - the ability to make clouds disappear, to light a fire with their fingertips, and heal minor wounds. All the while she had to keep her emotions at bay, her power hidden; it was clear now just how much hurt it could cause.

Ivy quickly changed into a t-shirt and shorts, hating the feeling but knowing Ethan got uncomfortable when she didn't clothe. Just as she was crawling under the sheets however the man's muscular form emerged from the bathroom, his face beaded with water from a fresh shower. At first Ivy hoped he would just allow her to sleep but soon he was approaching, reaching out to touch her hair.

"You need to tell me what happened," he murmured.
Ivy looked at him, feigning innocence. "With what, Eth? I was just worried about the girls, I'm sorry."

Ethan eventually turned the girls over to Ivy to put them to bed, tossing his beer bottle in the trash can and taking the longest shower he could possibly muster until his skin was red and blotchy. Thankfully, she was waiting on his bed by the time he exited, towel wrapped around his waist. At least he didn't have to awkwardly chase her down or something and have the kids wondering what they could possibly be talking about.

After pulling on his boxers, he walked over to her bed side, hand lightly pressing against her hair, trying to be as comforting as possible.

"You know that's not what I mean," Ethan responded, his voice firm. "What the hell was that? With the guy getting hurt all of a sudden?" It wasn't a secret that Ivy had been the main cause behind the man's sudden pain on the street and he wouldn't go pretending it didn't exist either, like she apparently enjoyed doing. If they were going to spend these few weeks, or however long really, together, everything had to be on the table from this point on.

She bit at her lip, looking up at him, "I... I don't know, honest. That has not happened in such a long time... it must be just a coincidence..."
Ethan bit his lip, trying to keep his voice as calm as possible. "What hasn't happened in a long time? Ivy, talk to me!" He couldn't stand her being vague.
"It's hard to explain," she said quietly, "in short, we are all blessed with an ability... a power... of some sort. And when I was little I always had to keep mine at bay, because that happened." Ivy gulped nervously, "I can inflict pain, Ethan. Awful, stabbing, debilitating pain. Nothing beautiful, positive, or remotely wonderful. I can be a monster if I wish!"

Ethan snickered softly. "I think that's cool, Ivy."

Of course that wasn't the answer her, or anyone would be expecting, but he supposed he was fervently into unorthodox things. So what if she could hurt people? The difference was she used her 'abilities' for good, rather than bad, so therefore he could never picture her being a monster.

"That's only if you wish, Ivy," Ethan added, his voice calm. "There's nothing wrong with your powers if you use them in a positive way. Like you did today, to protect the girls."

"That's the thing," she cried, pressing her fingertips against her temples in an attempt to get a hold of herself. The room was spinning and she really wished that Ethan would just drop it! She'd be sure to be more careful next time; that was all she could do.
She continued, "I didn't mean to do, Eth. I didn't want to hurt him... it just happened! For all I know he could be dead right now and it's all my fault. What if I hurt someone else before I'm angry or upset or just not in control? I thought I had such a good hold on it but the stress of moving here is bringing it through again."
"Relax, Ivy. I can't answer those questions for you, but I know you didn't mean any harm, and I'm sure he's fine. He looked fine after it was said and so why worry?" He paused, trying to find the words. "Look, I know you have in you to control it if you want. Like you have been doing. Just use a few of these days to adjust to your environment."

The young woman flopped back into the mattress, staring up at the popcorn ceiling in worry and wonder. The thought of leaving this place again and possibly hurting another person was more than frightening - it was one thing to intentionally inflict pain, but when she no control, the result was a disaster.

"I remember," she started, completely changing the course of their conversation, "when my siblings began to grow, and they all discovered their beautiful, wonderful powers. To bring light, to read emotion, to heal. And all the while they thought I was just ungifted because my father disallowed me from sharing my gift with others. He feared that if anyone found out, they'd be afraid of me, as I was afraid of myself."
Ethan nodded slowly. "Because they all have this perception of what a 'good' power should be, and they completely overlooked yours because it managed to inflict people in the process. That's not always a bad thing, Ivy. I guess I'm just some foolish human, but I still stand by my statement."

Ivy eventually climbed in underneath the covers. Ethan looked unimpressed with her need to end the conversation but eventually he crawled in as well, rolling onto his side. For awhile, they just watched each other - Ivy's fingertips idly touching the seam of the comforter while Ethan dozed in and out of sleep.

"I'm so afraid," she explained, "I don't want to hurt anyone. Even if they've done bad, I never want to hurt someone."

Ethan hadn't meant any harm with his words, but pushing problems under a rug and claiming it as dormant wouldn't help her! Maybe if Ivy actually confronted and embraced what she was entirely, she wouldn't be having these issues. Because regardless, Ethan didn't view her as a monster nor did he believe her powers should be locked away because they weren't light and happy like her sister's. It was unique, and if he was in her shoes, he would be making do with it.

After all, she couldn't change it, so why not be proud of it? And even if she didn't ever want to use it; she had that choice! From what he gathered based on what she had told him, she had managed to 'cap' it for years now. So why couldn't she continue doing that? If she didn't like her power, fine. Then don't use it. Ethan thought it was that simple, and maybe his words were fueled by frustration but he still stood by them.

"Then don't hurt people, Ivy," Ethan responded simply. "If you've managed to control it for so many years now, why stop now? Like you said, the stress has gotten the best of you, and your emotions ran high. Doesn't mean you can't put an end to it if you don't want to."
"I'm just afraid I'll lose control again. I haven't felt that way in a very long time. I let go for a split second, and suddenly everything unravels."

Ethan touched her cheek softly. "If you just acknowledge what you are and embrace the fact that something could potentially happen from allowing your emotions to intervene, simmer down before your 'abilities' get involved." Again, he didn't know the mechanism exactly behind how these fairy-like powers worked, but he didn't think his suggestions were completely outrageous.

Ivy gulped, looking at his eyes. She knew that Ethan was trying his very best to get to the root of the problem, to help her to embrace it. The thing was - Ethan didn't understand. As much as he tried, he would never fully realize what it was like to be able to inflict such pain on another person. It was like an addiction that one could not suppress, always looming in the back of the mind which each movement, a growing bubble ready to burst when your guard was down.
She touched Ethan's hand on her cheek, anchoring them both. She had never had this conversation with anyone before - as a child, she had always been taught to suppress such an ability. Having someone telling her to embrace it, now, felt slightly surreal.

"I never want to hurt you. Or the girls. I'm afraid," she said softly.
"You won't," he responded.
"I'm still afraid," she admitted. "My guard down, for one second. Lose control, and what could happen? You are introducing me to all of these new things, I don't know when it could slip."
"You're being paranoid, Ivy."
She squeezed his hand, "I'm just afraid."
"And that's okay. But don't let that stress you out."

Ivy gulped but nodded her head slightly. It was certainly easier said than done, but Ivy would try her best to keep both her emotions and worries at bay.
Once they had settled in underneath the covers, Ivy moved across the bed, invading Ethan's side. He smiled down at her and despite looking a bit startled when she wrapped her arms around his waist, it wasn't long before he melted into her. His body was rigid and warm against her, but somehow still soft - comfort wrapped around her, and for a moment, Ivy felt as though there was no way she could ever hurt this man.

She kissed his bare shoulder endearingly, "I'm sorry I worry so much. I'll try to be better, I promise."

Just being with Ivy, having her arms wrapped around his waist and their bodies so close together, was enough to settle any distress Ethan may have felt. For some reason their problems just melted when they were in each other's company and willing to forget. And right now, all he wanted peace. After being thrust from one world to another, he understood how tensions could run high, but for now he just wanted to pretend everything was right and happy. And he may have sounded like a hypocrite for suggesting Ivy didn't keep her feelings dormant, but he wasn't really doing that, right?

He was simply telling himself they didn't exist; at least for a few hours of pure calmness. They needed that right now – to settle down and protect the girls.

Ethan melted into her embrace, only nodding softly. "It's just unhealthy, Ivy, and I wouldn't want you to harm yourself like that." He grabbed her hand, pressing it to his lips softly, before clenching them against his own beating heart. They remained like that for awhile, the darkness of the room enveloping them as the noise, albeit faint, sounded from the street below.

Now this was exactly how he pictured a perfect night.

For the next several days, life moved blissfully. Ivy refused to go outside much, and although Ethan had managed to drag her places like the local park with the girls and the grocery story, she much preferred staying inside. In fact - she enjoyed it! There were so many new, exciting things contained in just Ethan's tiny apartment. She learned how to use the stove and fridge, and as a result, had been baking up a storm. It was rare that there was a day that went by that Ivy hadn't had something cooking in the oven. Ethan never complained either so she continued.
For a moment, Ivy wondered if this was what "married" life was like. She saw a bit of it on the television when the girls watched cartoons, and even they were enthralled by it.
"Look, they have a mommy and a daddy too, Ivy!" Lia would shout.
"Moma, dada," little Ruby would babble, despite the fact that she had never as much as met her own mother.

The images made her feel a little more secure in this world... almost like they belonged here. For years she had pined for not only that companionship, but approval as well. Here, it seemed that marriage was such a common thing - everyone was doing it! Ethan even told her about the rings and the ceremony and the pretty dress one late night when Anna would not stop crying.

Above all, however, Ivy just enjoyed being in Ethan's presence. As children they had never been able to spend more than a few hours together and even at her village they were seperated. Now, however, he was everywhere she was - always around, always watching, waiting. He grew handsomer everyday, but Ivy liked him most when they had just woken up and his stubble was short and his eyes groggy. That sight was, of course, just slightly behind the few times she had accidently caught him in his morning shower, beaty with a mix of sweat and hot water.

Today was Monday, and Ethan had promised to take the girls to the state fair early in the afternoon. And as much as Ivy worried about the safety of her girls, her trust had grown in him and she allowed him to take them for a couple of hours. They were beyond excited for corn dogs and candy apples, and Ivy hadn't had the heart to deny them anymore of the fun.

"Looks like it's just you and me, little one," Ivy beamed down at Anna.
Watching the small child grow was like watching a flower sprout; she was growing like crazy and her wild brown hair was beginning to form the sweetest ringlets. Ivy always held the baby near and after just a few weeks of caring for her, her maternal and motherly instincts had begun to kick in. Her attachment to the baby was easily seen, and some humans even mistaked Anna for her daughter.

Today was just another day of their alone time together. It was abruptly disrupted, however, when Ivy went to go and get a fresh bottle from the fridge. Just as she was opening the door, there was a knock at the door. At first Ivy had assumed it to be Ethan, forgotten his key. But when there was an awkward jiggle of the lock, she stopped, stunned.

Soon, she stood face-to-face with a man at least a foot taller than her. He looked surprisingly like Ethan despite the aging features and slightly little bulky figure. Where Ethan had defined muscle this man was thin, he had a few wrinkles, and his eyes were tried.

Ivy backed away, clutching Anna close. "Um... um... who-who are you?"

Ethan had to write an article on the State Fair anyways so bringing the girls along was definitely a welcome addition. At first he was nervous he'd lose track of them in the large crowd, but they had decided they wouldn't let their excitement get the best of them, giggling and jumping up and down at a safe distance by his hip. They spent three amazing hours going through the Ferris wheel, bumper cars, pirate ship, and a dozen other rides before getting stuffed on funnel cake, cotton candy, and popcorn.

By the time the sun started to descend, Ethan called it quits, the girls whining, and somehow persuading him into one more ride before leaving for good. They still buzzed about in the car as Ethan drove, a grin finding its way across his lips at their general excitement.

"The drop tower was so fun! I could do it again and again and again," Lia cried out.
"I liked the ride that went loopty-loop!" Ruby giggled, clapping her hands together.
"Will you take us again?" She inquired, holding onto the prized teddy bear he had won for her.
"You girls haven't seen anything yet! And I'll do better; next time we're going to a water park."

If Ethan hadn't heard loud, he definitely had at that very moment, their squeals of excitement shaking the small car. "A water park?" Lia questioned, excitement bubbling in her tone. "What's that?"
"It's exactly like the rides we went on, except you get wet at a water park."
"I wanna go!" Ruby exclaimed.
"Take us!"
"This weekend," Ethan promised, glancing in his rear view mirror at the blissful girls. "We'll see if we can get Ivy to tag along, too." He doubted it though; she seemed pretty happy in the apartment, and he didn't want to ruin that for her.

The girls screamed in enthusiasm once again.

____

They eventually made it back to the apartment, Ethan knocking on the door, but not hearing an immediate response. His eyebrows raised before reaching under the rug and grabbing his spare before pressing it into the keyhole and twisting it in the chamber.
And in spite of the complete surprise that faced him on the other side, he felt his own smile pulling at his lips although it was mixed in with confusion and anxiety for Ivy. What the hell was he doing here? Usually called.

"Dad?" Ethan exclaimed, before striding over and wrapping his arms around the man. "God, you usually call!"
"I was worried about you. And now I know why…" With that, he surveyed the room, eyes particularly locking on the two girls behind him. "Christ, there's two more? Could we talk in private?"

Ethan shot Ivy and the rest of the girls a reassuring smile before following his father into his bedroom.

"Did you knock someone up without telling?" he questioned, hands running through tufts of black and gray hair. "I wouldn't have freaked, Ethan, if you did."
His mouth dropped open before closing abruptly. "No, dad, of course not! You know how I feel about shit like that. I'm just taking care of them for a friend."
He raised his brows. "I don't even want to know how you got yourself in an arrangement like that. But be careful, okay? And take care of those girls, y'here? A Crawford man never bows out of commitment."
Ethan smirked. "I intend to."
"How long are they staying for, by the way?"
"I don't know, few months, maybe."
He nodded gently. "Well, I have a room in the motel down the street. We really need to catch up, son. Talk about this situation you're in."
Ethan nodded, placing his hand on the man's shoulder. "More than anything."
"I didn't believe for a second you'd knock a girl up, though. Lord knows how much you detest the idea of being a father. A big brother to those girls, maybe. But never a father."

Ivy listened only half-heartedly as Ruby and Cornelia boasted about the wonderful time they had the park. They talked about going on all sorts of rides, ones that shot them down and then up again, ones that had them hanging on the edge of their seat and ones that spun. Ruby had been too small to go on the larger ones but Ethan made sure they always stayed together. Lia had even offered Ivy a bit of her leftover candy, her eyes sparkling with excitement and childhood innocence.

All the while, however, Ivy's thoughts were somewhere else. Who Ivy had learned to be Ethan's father had been around long before they had arrived back home, but long enough for the young woman to get uncomfortable under his stare and idle questions. Obviously, he wasn't used to dropping by and finding a woman and baby in his son's apartment. Ivy could feel the strength of his stare, and though laced with innocent curiousity, she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable with him. It almost felt like he had been throwing accusations without even a word.

They emerged after ten minutes, and by that time, Ivy was once more cooking up a storm. She smiled softly when Ethan joined her in the kitchen, and watched as his father seated himself at the table, looking over what appeared to be Ethan's latest article.

Ethan pressed a hand to her shoulder, "dad's going to stay for a late dinner, if that's ok? I haven't seen him in awhile and I'd hate to just throw him out."
She nodded meekly, side glancing the man before looking back at Ethan. "Is he mad... that me and the girls are here?"
"Not at all," he responded. "He just wants me to take care of you guys and spend more time with him."
Ivy bit at her lip, "he looked at me like I had done something horrible, before you came instead. Like I had broken into your home and living in it." She laughed lightly at the end, but the motion was tense and forced.