Ivy

Ethan arched his eyebrows at the sight, before that tiny grin spread across his lips. Every time the rational side of him wanted to push himself away before they got to serious and he ended up getting hurt, it quickly dissipated, this moment not being an exception. He quickly took off the worn Henley he had been giving, and sown leggings before wading in after and dipping his face briefly into the cool water.
An almost youthful aura surrounding them by the time they started laughing, occasionally splashing the other with water, like the days of their childhood. It was refreshing, almost, in contrast to their serious conversation only hours ago.

Ethan came to the conclusion that they were overthinking things – they didn't have to talk about it right away, because if it was meant to be, things would fall together perfectly. He usually didn't believe in fate and all that nonsense, but for some reason, he had that notion whenever he was with Ivy. After nearly thirteen years of not seeing each other, they had run into each other at his grandparents' cabin. The housekeeper had miraculously passed away at just the right time, during the war. It was his natural instinct to read into things, no matter how much he disliked to.

"Can you swim?" he questioned with a slight grin to divert his already straying thoughts.
She nodded, "can you?"
Ethan returned the gesture with another smirk before floating on his back in the stream.

Ivy swam over to her companion and gripped at his wrist. From where they were standing he was able to touch but she was not, leading the young woman to latch onto him closely. Ethan's strong figure soon melted into her, so much more developed than it had been when they were children. He was rigid in all the right places, toned, and his arms had a vice like grip around her, but always gentle.

"How much longer do you think you'll be able to stay?" she asked.

Ethan was lucky that he had his laptop with him in their world, which his brothers took to charge at the outlets in the little cabin. He was always showing the young woman and her siblings the various tricks of his world - the children enjoyed the games that he showed him, and Ivy was in awe of the photos of the human world. To be able to capture something for a second was a brilliant idea, something Ivy wished they had in her world.

"Before my old man starts getting too curious? Maybe another week or so."
Ivy nodded her head. She knew that he was going to leave eventually, but hearing it from his mouth made it all the more real. She supposed they had to wait until the barrier was
"Are you going to come back, and visit?" she asked.
"Of course," he responded sincerely.
Ivy smiled, "I'm going to miss you."
"Me too," Ethan murmured softly.

For a moment, Ivy toyed with the idea of never returning. If they abandoned everyone, what stood in their way of being together? Of course it was a short lived dream however; they both had obligations to work and family and their worlds... simply disappearing she was sure would not end well for them both.

In a perfect world they could simply run away together without looking back, but the heavy chains of family and career obligations threatened those plans. Ethan, more than anything, wanted to be with Ivy, and still believed they could overcome those two major hindrances without having to hide away forever. As much as she had feelings for him, Ethan knew she wouldn't leave such important figures in her life like her siblings and father, and it would be cruel of him to ask that from her.
On the flip side, he couldn't ditch his dad and brother without explanation – not when they had done so much and sacrificed a shit load to take over the position his mother had left. Well, not like he could call the bitch that anyways.

They were soon completely clean and out of the river, Ethan washing his clothes and eating lunch with Ivy while they air dried. And by the time, the sun was getting ready to fall once more, they used both memory and common sense to try and map a route back to the village.

"My father always said if you followed the river, it would take you back to a clearing. Then, there's a marking in a tree there that indicates the village."

Ethan took her instructions with a small nod before they were trudging down the river, leaving marks in case they had to return back to the shack for cover. Eventually they entered into the clearing, a large circular bed of circle with evergreens, thick and bulky, surrounding them. Ivy used her fingers to trace each bark until she felt the indent of an arrow, which was pointing eastward.

The route was approximately thirty minutes, and with every mile crossed, the smell of oil lanterns and sweet delicacies wafted throughout the trees. Ethan felt his anxiety settle, knowing home wasn't too far away.

Returning to the village would be bittersweet. There, they had no privacy, not even a close relationship. And after the young woman's disappearance she was sure that her father would blame Ethan for it.

Still, Ivy could not stay away forever, as tempting as the idea seemed in her mind. She knew that her siblings needed her more than anything, and running away was simply out of her character. What kind of sister and daughter would she be if she just abandoned them all, leaving her younger sisters to fend for themselves? It would only be a matter of time until they were found, anyways. Ivy imagined that her father already had a search party out for them, anyways.

"It'll be okay," she whispered as the scent of the village grew more potent. She could feel the tension in Ethan's body and knew that was he was just as nervous as she was; he could just as much at stake, as well.

At the edges of the villages were homes, inhabited by families, small and large. Many were captured by trees, wrapping around them as though arms for an embrace. Ethan looked around wonderously, but it wasn't long before the people began to emerge, shouting praises of joy and relief.

"Oh, Ivy, we are so worried sick over you!"
"Where have you been all this time - and you have returned, with another?"

Neither of them could miss the curious, sometimes incredulous looks that the other fae gave them. In fear that they would conclude Ethan's human roots they slipped them, running around the village instead of through it. The tension only mounted between the two of them, and Ivy squeezed her companion's hand.
It wasn't long before they reached her home, and her family surrounded it, looking frantic and upset. Lia was the first person to see the couple, and came flying from her spot on the ground, wailing.

As soon as she embraced her big sister around the waist, Ivy realized why she had to return.
"Ivy! Ivy!" she sobbed, "we thought you had been killed by the centaurs or the vampires or the trolls! And Ethan... papa thought he had been eaten by a beast! Oh, we were so afraid!" And suddenly the young girl had released her, moving on to wrap her lanky arms around Ethan, hugging him close and sobbing on his lap.

Ethan had expected Lia to worry about Ivy – after all, they were family, but by the time the fae was pressing her body against his and sobbing, it took all his will power to hide the stunned expression in his eyes. They had gotten along, of course, but still.He had adopted the notion that he was simply a burden on the family; dead weight that was waiting to be removed. But here the older woman was, completely relieved that both of them had returned in one piece. It was surreal. Ethan could only hope her father had the same reaction.

He didn't have time to compose himself though, for the oldest man pushed open the door, reproach burning in his eyes although it held a trace of relief. Soon enough he was hugging his oldest daughter, pressing tender kisses to her forehead.

"How reckless of you to fly up so high in an area so dangerous," he immediately scolded, momentarily ignoring Ethan.
"I didn't mean to," she explained, "I... I was being careful, I promise."
"What about the human boy?" he inquired spitefully, as if Ethan wasn't standing right next to her.
Ivy smiled softly,"he isn't just a human boy, dad... he saved my life."
It felt like, at that moment, all the attention had shifted to him, the older man's dark eyes locked on his. Ethan could only confirm her statement, nodding in response. "We had to remove her wings, but she's better than she was twenty four hours ago."

Her father paused, lip twitching only slightly before nodding. "Come inside." With that, he gestured towards the door, already turning on his heels.

"Does it hurt?" Lia asked, bouncing about the room.
Their father was close nearby, grabbing a washcloth soaked in cold water to tend to her wounds. Ivy hadn't realized how badly they hurt until she was sitting around their table, finally able to relax.
"It's not that bad," she lied. Lia continued to bounce around and soon her younger brother Harold was joining her, questioning the young woman and her companion. Luckily, their father shooed them away quickly, tending to the long gashes on Ivy's back.
"How did you do it?" he asked, gesturing to the wings.
Ivy was surprised by the man's calm demeanor; all this time she had been dreading his reaction to her absence, imagining his worry would translate into anger when she returned.
"I just tore them off," he responded carefully.
Ivy and her father both winced. The human equivilant would be like ripping off a limb; luckily, Ivy's would grow back in due time.
Her father nodded his head carefully, "you are a brave man."
Ethan arched his eyebrows, trying to hide the surprise. "Thank you."

It wasn't long before her wounds had been tended to, and Ivy's father, without as much as another word, bandaged her up nicely. The white gauze that wrapped around her limbs felt rather restricting, but Ivy was not about to willingly defy her father. If he insisted on nursing her back to health, she would not deny him. Ivy could see the fear in his eyes already, despite his attempt to hide it - he knew exactly what losing someone close felt like, and didn't want it to happen again.

"I still cannot believe that you outwardly defied my orders," Peter murmured, meeting Ethan's gaze, "I instructed you to remain here until the barrier was lifted. And what do you do - go and search for a lost girl!"
"You mean your daughter?" he questioned incredulously. "What, was she to stay lost forever? If it weren't for me, she'd be a lot worse, or dead!"
Suddenly there was a loud boom, her father slamming his large fist down onto the table. "I will not be defied in my own household! As soon as this barrier is lifted, you will be gone... and I suggest you take any feelings you have for my daughter with you."

Ethan was completely and utterly stunned. So, one second he was calling him brave, and then telling him he shouldn't have gone out to find her daughter? What the hell was he supposed to do? Wait until she turned up dead? He didn't care if the man killed him or banished him from the town; her daughter had been in trouble and he offered his aide. Ethan had absolutely no remorse and would continue that way.
His fist slamming down on the table hardly intimidated Ethan, considering his anger had taken a more prominent role.

"Are you telling me you regret that I saved your daughter?" he questioned, still bewildered.
"Never," he warned, "but you do not realize the danger you put us all in, by leaving this home."
"But she would have died without me," Ethan argued. The man's attitude towards this was downright bazaar.
Peter shook his head, "she is a strong woman. You don't understand that I am thankful, son, but you do not realize the consequence of your actions if someone saw you."

He was right – Ethan didn't understand. Not in the slightest. No matter how strong someone was, if they fell down a cliff, ripped their wings, sprained a few muscles, and was bleeding out with no recollection of where they were, they needed help. Point blank.
Frustration still laced through him, but he decided if anything, it was best to not say anything and ignore this entire situation. The last thing he wanted to do was get in an unnecessary fight with her father.

Ethan rubbed his temples, eyelids slipping closed. He felt physically taxed at this point, only wanting rest.

"We'd all be dead!" he bellowed, "or worse, cast from this land. You simple-minded humans don't think of anyone but yourselves, I see that now. All I have tried to do all my life is build a place in this village for my children, and then some human boy comes to jeopardize it all. One word of you out there and we will all be banished."

Ivy placed her palm on her forehead, wishing that they would all stop with this nonsense. The children had all suddenly fled the room and Ivy didn't blame them; she would have done in the same if she was not fearful the two men would brawl longer. She hated to be caught in the middle, but she hated to see anyone hurt... especially considering what they had all already been through.

"Oh okay, so it's me now that ruins everything! Maybe I don't belong in this world," Ethan fumed.
Ivy winced a bit, realizing she had never heard either of them talk in such a harsh way. Her father had always been a docile, caring and soft spoken man; she supposed that it was prospect of losing everything that brought out the protectiveness in him.
Peter scoffed, "you just figured that out now, boy? You really don't realize the differences between you and my daughter. I don't know what goes on between the two of you, but let me say that you will never be able to have her."
Ethan got up, starting towards the door. "I'm leaving. I can't--I can't live in a place where I'm treated like an animal."

Before her father could respond Ivy was up from her chair, skidding across the room despite the difficulty with her newly dressed wounds. She caught Ethan by the hand, eyes pleading as he tried to yank himself away.

"P-Please, Ethan... just... just-give it time..." she pleaded, voice low so only they could hear. Still, Ivy could feel her father's eyes boring into her back.

This whole conversation had taken a nasty turn before he could even think to stop it. Ethan usually tried to remain as respectable as possible when talking to other people, especially when it came down to Ivy's father, but the way he was scolding him for an act done out of pure care didn't sit right with him, no matter what. And just the way he belittled his intelligence like he was an idiot only pushed Ethan farther and farther into a red area he couldn't get out of.

For one second his eyes softened though once Ivy's fingers gripped his, her voice low. Ethan felt his throat constrict before glancing down at the floor. "He hates me, Ivy," he muttered, "and I don't like how he treats me."
"Just let him settle," she whispered, "he was just worried... please, if you go out there, you'll get hurt."
"You know I'd be safer in my world than here, Ivy," Ethan admitted, no matter how much the words pained him. He had pretty much submerged himself in a clusterfuck of horrible events stringed one after another. His connection with the outer world was completely dead now after the barrier had been put down, and it was only a matter of time before his father grew increasingly worried. Their time was extremely limited.
"I know," Ivy nodded sadly, "but the barrier is still up. I'm sorry... that... that he-he is acting this way. Just please, bare with me..."

Ethan's lips pressed together tightly but he nodded nonetheless. "I'm not going to try and reconcile unless he steps up first," he advised, although moving away from the door.

~ ~ ~

That night, Ivy ran a hot fever and soon she was burning to the touch. Her father had instructed her to retire to his bedroom, the only secluded room besides the one that Ethan slept in. She stared up at the ceiling, feeling her body overcome with chills and sweat, alternating every few minutes. Her siblings were awfully worried, but Peter only reassured them that it was part of her healing process - apparently, it would only be wings before her wings sprouted once more.

When dusk finally settled down on the village and the lamplights could be seen illuminating the homes through their windows, Peter crept down the hallway. The younger children were off paying in the centre while their older counterparts retrieved wood and water from stores nearby. Only Ivy (now asleep with illness), Ethan and Peter remained in the home - a predicament the older man decided to take advantage of.

"Ethan?" Peter asked, opening the door and slipping inside the room.
"Mhm?"
His bulky frame took up most of the doorframe, his stature much higher than most fairies. His shoulders were broad but slumped slightly, as though his defenses were down. "I need to speak to you of something."
"Go ahead," he responded, although his eyes were still cautious.
"Putting this morning aside," he gulped, crossing his arms, "something very deadly has approached us, and I ask your favour to save my daughter, and my family."
"What do you want me to do?"
"Have you ever heard of minotaur, son?" Peter pressed.
"Never," Ethan responded.
"You have seen the centaurs... evil creatures, half horse and half man. Minotaurs are very similar, but half bull rather than horse. Imagine the differences between a horse and bull, and you will understand their danger. They are quick, merciless, and look to covet both goods and women on their journey to access land. They have descended upon us, and I imagine my daughters will be a prime target for their affairs. And because of this, I ask for your help, as I realize you care deeply for Ivy... more than you should, but that is another issue."

Ethan's eyebrows furrowed together, although his heart beat furiously at the man's words. Just by the way he had crept into his room in the middle of the night as if he had a dirty secret already set off alarms in his head.

"So what are you asking of me?" Ethan questioned, his voice strained with anticipation. The man was being vague and leaving him to figure out all the pieces.
"To take Ivy to your world."
"Ivy and the children?" he questioned. Of course Ethan had no problem with it, but managing to smuggle eleven kids would look risky, especially if they had wings. But if it came down to it and there was nowhere safer for them to go, he would in a heartbeat, and figure out the rest later.
"Only the very young ones," he explained, "my sons will take the older, but Ivy knows how to care well for the small ones."

Ethan nodded carefully, taking in the abundance of news. "When do you want me to take them?" He only assumed the barrier would be dissipated by the time the man asked this of him.
"Once her fever subsides. But I will subdue her, because she will never leave willingly."

He shook his head in agreement once again, before the man was scratching his head and turning on his heel. "Thank you, for everything," he said, albeit low, before shutting the door behind him.

The rest of the night had been spent without a shred of sleep as his thoughts ran wild. He assumed he had been in the village for three weeks, his rent due for the apartment in eight or so days (and even then the apartment owner was very fond of his father and often offered extensions). His laptop had only gone dead for 3 days and Ethan had caught up on all his articles before then, so if they made it past the barrier, settling back into his regular life shouldn't be something terribly difficult.

Ethan eventually forced himself into sleep though, knowing tomorrow would be everything but relaxing.

The next day the barrier was put down, and before the family could be put in immediate danger, their father ushered them all out and away. Ivy's oldest brother Ben had been able to take the children to a safer zone on the outskirts of Chicago, leaving only three - Lia, Ruby and a newborn baby Peter's friend had pleaded them to take named Anna - to be skirted into the city with Ivy and Ethan. They were packed up quickly, unable to bring much with them; Peter had given Ethan a small chunk of cash to care for them all and find accomodation.

"I need you be on the look out, all day and every day," Peter warned Ethan as they stood on the threshold of the barrier. "Minotaurs cannot enter your world, in fear of standing out. But they may bond with human flesh, or those that appear human, so please, be on your watch. Ivy will be able to help with that once she's awoken."
Ethan simply nodded his head and gulped; the situation was more grave that he seemed to have realized, but there was no stepping back now. With Anna in his arms and the children waiting in the backseat of the rental vehicle, it was a done deal.
"I promise I'll keep them safe," he vowed.
The man nodded, thanked him, and kissed Ivy on the forehead. She was still subdued from her medication, and her breath smelled like fresh herbs and spices. Fearing that this would be the last time he saw any of them, he kissed his children once more.

And with that the small family sped off down the street, out of the barrier and into a world Ivy had never known.

This experience was nothing Ethan was used to, yet he vowed to keep them as safe as he possibly could. So without another thought, the rental car sped off down the road with Ivy in the passenger and Lia holding the baby in her arms in the back with Ruby next to her. The ride had practically been silent, evergreens consuming the small car as it moved closer and closer towards civilization. Soon enough, the roads weren't dirt, and the vehicle merged with many others on an interstate highway.

The experience was almost surreal, even his own world looking somewhat unfamiliar to him after being submerged in the woods for almost a month. Things would no doubt be odd the first week back in the city, back in his apartment. His friends were most likely worried sick (or, they could have not given a shit, but he liked to believe so) about his unexpected and prolonged absence. Ethan knew his father would have a plethora of questions to ask him once he had a fully charged laptop and phone.

The small amount of collected dollar bills Peter had found over the years was more than enough for the week, or until he settled back into his job again. And as for the children? Their wings were now bandaged to their back until Ethan found proper clothes to give them. Any normal person would have freaked out at the concept of not only smuggling and hiding four people from an almost alternate universe, but making sure they were safe, clothed, and fed as well.

Ethan, however, wasn't a normal person.

"Look who's up," he commented with a tiny grin once Ivy's lids gradually lifted. They were about twenty minutes away from Chicago.

Ivy's mind was groggy and she couldn't remember much from the last few days; had she been sleeping, or subdued, or knocked out? The last thing she remember was fighting with her father in the house and then falling into a deep sleep that night, exhaustion pulling over her.
She was surprised to find that she did not reawake in said bed. Instead she was seated upright and there was a tight, uncomfortable strap pressing her back up against the seat. When she tried to pull it away from her, Ethan instructed her to leave it on.
When Ivy finally opened her eyes, she realized why. The world outside of the glass window was zooming by at an inhuman speed, the twisted metal and other contractions outside looking just like blurs. At first, Ivy panicked, realizing she had no idea where she was. But soon Ethan's hand was coming to cup hers over the console, a silent reassurance.

Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head when she looked over, seeing all the dials and numbers and gages in front of him. What did they all mean? Surely they had something to do with the way this thing moved, but Ivy couldn't imagine how it worked. And finally she realized that she was no longer in her simple world, now venturing into a place much more advanced and much more dangerous.

"E-Ethan...?" she croaked, "what... what's... going on?"
"We're halfway to Chicago," he responded.
She gasped, gripping at the sides of the seat in fear and surprise, "Chicago? Wh...what? What? Slow down! Oh my gosh Ethan, why are you moving so fast, you're going to kill us!"
He touched her thigh briefly. "Relax, Ivy! It's the speed limit. We're completely safe. Don't worry."

Suddenly the young woman was gripping onto his long fingers, trying to ground herself and stop freaking out. Clearly, she had no idea what his world contained - while he seemed completely at ease going so quickly, she was freaking out! What if one of those other vehicles suddenly moved in front or beside them? What if they crashed? She wondered if that happened often, and how people managed to move so fluidly in all the traffic.
Ivy closed her eyes tightly, "oh, oh... oh gosh, Ethan. Please... what are you doing?!"

Ethan suspected her reaction to be like this, and in spite of how much he wanted to comfort her, a tiny grin pulled at the corner of his lips. Did it make him a horrible person for finding this absolutely amusing? Driving had practically been like second nature to him, something he had been since he was fifteen, but he could somewhat understand how scary it would be for someone, a fairy even, to feel frightened by speeding cars and a five-lane highway.

"Driving. Relax Ivy! You're safe, I swear." His lips twitched as he attempted to hide his face from hers, gray eyes examining the blurring vehicles.
"Please, Ethan... why... why we moving like this? Where are we?!"
"We're in a car. To Chicago. You said you wanted to see my world, didn't you? So hear it is. Well, some of it, anyways."
Ivy bit at her lip so hard she nearly drew blood, "why are... are you taking me here?"

His smile gradually fell with the pain that coated her eyes. Maybe it was hard to let go of a world that you had lived in twenty one years of your life – a simple world.

"It's not safe in your village anymore. We had to leave." In spite of their differences, the night Ivy's father had asked him to take care of his daughters, Ethan had promised to himself he'd stay good to his word. Nothing would harm them. Not with him around.
She brought her hands to her face, "please, Ethan... please, get me out of here... this... this... I'm scared..."
He reached over to touch her thigh. "Hey, you'll be fine, okay? You'll be safe."

Ivy kept her eyes closed for the duration of the ride, only opening them once when she realized that two of her sisters and a small, beautiful baby were in the backseat, looking as curious as ever but fearful as well. Clearly, they were not accustomed to this world, either; and their eyes lit up every time they passed a building taller than the next, or an ambulance passed by at full speed.

When the car finally seemed to come to a hault, Ivy dared to open her eyes. They were still surrounded in tall, concrete buildings and roads bustling with people and cars. However, there were small plots of land with trees and flowers potted inside, and a few humans were seated around the edges. They spoke animatedly and took long sips of their drinks, laughing and enjoying the hot sun.

"Where are we?" she cried, gripping at the edge of the seat.
Ethan looked mildly amused and ever-so-slightly nervous. "My home."
"Your home?" she asked incredulously, "w-why?"
"Your father said the village wasn't safe," he repeated. "So I was asked to take you and some of your siblings into safety."

Ivy was suddenly shaking her head, trying to find a route of escape. She had no idea how to release herself from the belt across her waist, much less open the door! Soon enough, however, Ethan was hopping around the vehicle and helping them all out. Ivy took the baby from Cornelia, holding the small bundle close against her chest and staring up into the towering buildings. They were taller than even the grandest of trees in the forest, and she watched as they swayed ever so slightly in the wild; how did they stand so high and not fall?

She shook her head and buried her face into the baby's soft hair, "this is no place for us, Eth."

Ethan noticed the disdain on Ivy's face, trailing over to her. If it hadn't been for the baby, he would have wrapped her in the warmest embrace he could muster, but for now, a comforting smile was all he could offer her. "Trust me, Ivy, you'll be fine here. It's only temporary."
"The kids will be fine too," he reassured. "Let's just get inside. I'll get dinner, you'll relax, and we'll come up with a game plan." Ethan thought he sounded perfectly logical. Besides, he had to make a few calls himself to all the worried people that had no doubt bombarded his phone. He'd still have to work from home, but at least he wouldn't be locked up in a room for hours on end.
She gulped but nodded, "I trust you, Ethan."
"Thank you," he responded with a small smile. "I appreciate it."

Ivy's trust was the most important thing to him, and as long as she had faith he'd keep them out of harms way, they should be perfectly fine until her father sends for her.

Eventually, they stepped into the lobby of the stuffy apartment, the building that had once been home[i/] to him feeling so odd. He eventually checked in with the concierge who questioned him for at least five minutes on where he had been and how his father had gone mad with worry. Occasionally his green eyes would drift back to the group of females behind him, but he knew better not to inquire. Ethan was thankful for the man not being prod-y.

In about thirty minutes they were standing outside of his door, Ethan pushing in the spare key he kept under his rug and pushing the wooden slab open. A rustic living room greeted them, seemingly untouched form the last time he had been in there, a bunch of newspapers open on the coffee table and the curtains to the veranda semi-opened.

He locked the door behind them before running a hand through his hair, an inevitable smirk spreading across his lips. "Welcome to my humble abode."

"Mr. Ethan?" Cornelia asked, pulling on the edge of the man's shirt.
"Call me Ethan," he responded with a warm smile. "But yeah?"
"Where is my room?" she questioned boldly.

Ivy turned but watched the room curiously, admiring every bit and corner of it. She had to admit, for a human home it looked oddly inviting. A lot of the furniture looked old and wooden, and only a few modern touches like glass tabletops and a television decorated the room.
Secretly, she wondered how long they would be about to stay here. There was no questioning the glances they had been given upon entering the massive structure; surely people would begin to question who the women Ethan was hiding in his apartment were?

"Second door on the right. It's not huge, but you girls should be able to share a bed. I think I have a blow up one in the closet, too."

Cornelia's loud laugh was what pulled Ivy from her trans and she turned to watch her sister rush down the hallway like she had lived here all her life. Ruby was not too far behind, her short legs carrying her down after her sister. Soon a bunch of giggles and screams ensued, the young girls clearly enthused by their new living quarters.

"Are you sure that you have enough room for us all?" Ivy asked. She was trying to distact herself from her other worries, knowing well enough that it was only time before they would be forced back to their home in the woods. Ivy feared how bad it had been if her father had forced their family from the village.
"Definitely," Ethan responded. "If not, I can sleep on the couch. No big deal."
Ivy laughed softly, "this is going to be interesting..."

Elijah fluffed his pillows, making sure his bed would be at its absolute comfort for Ivy. After all, it wasn't regularly he housed fairies who were escaping from the war in their village. Yeah, if he told his father that one, he'd think he was nothing short of a loon. Ethan would cross that bridge when he got there though (hopefully he didn't have to). If things went well, her dad would report with some good news about their home and he could transport them safely across the line once more. He felt his chest tighten at the thought of their future, but for now he was more concerned with the present.

"It's not much, but hopefully you can at least sleep in here," he responded, scratching behind his ear. "I'll be in the living room."
Ivy gripped at his hand suddenly, "are you sleeping out there, Ethan?"
"Oh yeah, it's no big deal, Ivy. I'll be fine – trust me."
She smiled softly, "you can stay with me. We squeezed into a little bed comfortably, didn't we?"
Ethan smirked. "Sure you don't want a big ol' bed to yourself?"
Ivy nodded eagerly, "I'm sure."
"Well if you say so, I couldn't possibly deny you," he teased with a smirk before plopping down on the bed and patting the space next to him. Ethan hadn't been in his own bed forever and it felt amazing right about now.

He'd call his father tomorrow and briefly head over to the office to meet with his boss. Ethan hadn't charged his phone yet, not wanting to deal with the dozens of messages that'd probably be on it, so that was a hurdle he'd cross after a good night's rest.

"You're not hungry right?" Ethan questioned, solely because he hardly kept anything in his pantry. He'd deal with groceries sooner or later.

After falling into the plush mattress, Ivy couldn't help but allow her body to sink into it. They had managed to make a makeshift crib for Anna for the night, a bundle of pillows and blankets in the same room just in case she cried. And suddenly Ivy felt as though they were more like a true, ordinary family rather than two totally different species coinhabiting.

She closed her eyes, her head cushioned underneath the pillow. Now she could see why the younger girls were so thrilled with the new arrangements - all their lives they had resting on wooden pallets, only simple blankets and wool as their cushion. Now they were practically living in luxury.
Ivy opened her eyes when Ethan asked if she needed anything to eat. She smiled meekly, "you forget we are so different... all we need is rest. Food is solely for energy and celebration for fairies."
"Oh right," he murmured with a small grin.

She yawned and smiled back, feeling her limbs give up with exhaustion. Whatever her father had given her to knock her out earlier was clearly still in her system because the moment she fell into the pillow she felt like she could sleep for another week.

Reaching across, Ivy instinctively swiped a hair from Ethan's forehead. She murmured, "are you alright?"
He turned slightly to glance over at her, holding her hand briefly before pressing it against his lips. "I'm fine. Although the real question would be, are you?"

His simple gestures made Ivy warm all over, her cheeks flushed and her stomach flipped just slightly. After regaining her senses, she shrugged meekly, "confused, scared, worried... all of the above?"
"It'll subside," he murmured. "You're perfectly fine here, Ivy. I was thinking maybe if things go well at work tomorrow, I can take the girls out for ice cream."
Ivy's brow suddenly creased in the centre, "out? You mean... out there? In the... city?"