Invasion: The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarence's entire body was tired, as well as his mind. He fell into a deep, dreamless sleep, his body shivering every now and then as it tried to heal its wounds.

Emory wished he had a blanket to help with Clarence's shivering..
But he didn't, and he accepted that, just holding Clarence close and hoping his warmth would be of some help.

While he slept, he melted into Emory's warmth, subconsciously appreciating that he had someone to hold him now and keep him warm.
~The next morning, he still slept, his body a bit more still than usual and his face was slightly paler.

Emory had eventually drifted into a light sleep about midnight. When the sun filtered through the windows, he blinked, yawning. Looking down at Clarence, his starting-to-appear smile dropped. He was startled by his appearance. Shifting just barely, as not to wake the other, he gently felt his forehead for a temperature.

Clarence's skin wasn't as warm as it should have been, though the rest of his body was still warm. His lips moved slightly, and he released a very quiet, pained groan. His throat was dry and it hurt. His breathing was shallow, and he felt slightly numb. After a few moments, his eyes slowly opened, and they were bloodshot. He felt as if he hadn't gotten any rest at all. "...E-Emory..." He said, his voice cracked, low, and croaky.

"Are you okay?" Emory asked quietly, knowing he wasn't, but figuring he would ask because maybe Clarence knew? He hoped so... He was worried.

"..I-I think I'm sick..." He said. Great. He had a broken rib, his body hurt like hell, and now...now he was sick. Just wonderful. What luck he had. "Y-You should probably get away from me...I-I don't want you to get sick, too..." As he said this, he weakly attempted to move away, trying to slide himself off of Emory, but he winced at the pain it caused him.

Emory gently wrapped his arms around him. "Surely we can fix this... It can't be too bad." He said quietly. He was very worried. "You feel cold... A fire! Maybe if I start a fire it will help?" He asked softly.

Clarence groaned again, the pain in his throat making itself known. "That..might be nice..." He said, opening his eyes a bit more. He still felt so tired, as if he hadn't slept for several days. It was probably just a mere cold, but now-a-days, even the common cold could be deadly.

Emory carefully slipped out from under Clarence. "Just try to relax.." He said softly, grabbing a water bottle from his backpack. He offered it to Clarence, then tried to start a fire.

Clarence weakly took the bottle and unscrewed the cap almost immediately, taking a large gulp of water. He relaxed slightly as he brought the bottle back down from his lips, putting the cap back on. He put his head back down on the bed, releasing a deep breath as he closed his eyes, though he knew he wouldn't fall asleep.

Emory started working on making a fire. He kept a close eye on Clarence.

Clarence drifted in and out of sleep, getting irritated that the wouldn't just stay asleep. After a few more minutes, he decided that, even though it hurt, he would just get up. And so he did. He slid out of the bed and steadied himself, his legs shaking slightly. He then slowly walked over to Emory and sat next to him, leaning his head on his shoulder as he watched him try to start the fire.

Emory jumped a little as Clarence sat beside him. "Your up?" He asked softly, worried. He still worked on the fire.

Clarence slowly nodded, not feeling the energy to do otherwise. He closed his eyes for a moment. "...I had..matches...in my bag..." He said, his words slightly slurred. "...not that....that really..helps..." He opened his eyes again and looked at Emory. "...Sorry..." He said, placing his head back against his shoulder.

Emory smiled faintly. "It's alright." He said softly before a small puff of smoke came up from the fire. He looked down quickly, gebtly blowing on it. A small flame started. "Tada!" He chuckled.

Clarence chuckled slightly, then weakly snaked his arm around Emory's, closing his eyes. "...Thank you..." He said quietly, a small smile on his face.

"Your welcome." Emory said softly, tending the fire so it grew a little, providing warmth and added extra light to the room.

Clarence took a bite of a granola bar as he sat on the bed with his legs folded. His body was still sore, but not as sore as it had been two weeks ago. He finished the granola bar after a few more bites and stood up, stretching. He winced slightly at the pain it still caused him, but he didn't really care much anymore. He turned to look at Emory, running a hand through his hair, and smiled. "So...What are we doing today? Relaxing? Supply run?" He asked eagerly. Ever since their first supply run, he had been eager to do more. Even though the outside world was very dangerous, and it was in ruins, he still took whatever chance he got to see it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Emory smiled. He had been looking out the window. "I'm not sure, honestly."
He laughed softly. He had been much more relaxed since Clarence was better. Though they hadn't run into any trouble yet, he was still cautious. "What do you want to do?" He asked, standing and walking over to Clarence.

Status
Not open for further replies.