IN HER DYING EYES-the black embrace

"agreed, totally, uterly and completely agreed!" he yelled out, throwing himself headlong into the backdoor of the van and slamming the doors behind him hap-hazardly.

The ppolice where in too much of a hustle with the next gang member wh shambled out the front door of the place, this one was holding a rather large pistol... he breathed his last as the trio escaped.

----------------

down the street, over the overpass as a train flooded beneath them. Armand huffed a little, pulling a bullt out of his pant-leg. there was no blood showing, but the bullet was covered in it.

"Is there NO PEACE even in teh americanmid-west? jesus, everyone around here had an arsenal of guns, and STILL criminals think they can barg in without recompense." he huffed.

Meanwhile, Anya was dealing with something altgether new. since the man fell dead, there was a certain heaviness weighed on her stomach. not in mass, but... somethign else, like whatever was inside was suddenly more dense... it throbbed now, not visibly, but harsh from within. the presence of a trapped soul. a soul she had unknowingly consumed.

"Things need to go back to the way it was centuries ago.. they condition these.. these criminals to believe dicipline is a joke! and in this modern day they are exactly right!!" Lestat spat, as he raced down the highway going 20 over the speed limit. "If they get into trouble what do they get?! a slap on the wrist.. A jail sentence... where they receive 3 meals a day and a roof over their heads!.. in France we leave them to rot... or to make process faster we just KILL" He continues ranting -his accent so thick with anger Anastasia can barely understand.

However her eyes are on something else along with her attention -which is her stomach. She looks down at it cautiously, rubbing it as if to soothe, and when this doesn't work she takes Armand's hand, placing it on the bulge so he can feel the throbbing.

"Armand... you feel that?'

Armand put his hand gently on the skin, the throbbing dull and arduous. a familiar pounding... a beating heart full of fear.

"jesu cristo..." he whispered, remembering suddenly the dead man on th floor infront of her.

"Anya.. how did a... did you.... there is a disembodies soul in there..." he whispered, not so much so that lestat wouldn't hear... more so out of suprise.

"What?!" Lestat and Anastasia both blurt out in unison. "What do you mean a SOUL??? you mean like.. someone is technically in there!!? but how? what did I do?.. god dammit Armand! I didnt meant it.. I dont even know How it could have possibly happened I mean.. the man.. he .. he tried to strike me and then out of no where it was as if I felt a surge go threw me and the next thing I knew.."

Before Anastasia could finish her words caught in her throat and she burst out in a fit of tears, they streamed down her face fast and certain, and she burred her face in Armands chest for comfort

"I killed a man!"

Armand held her tight a they lay ont he bed, he could hear the dull thumping of the souls beat inside her. Nobody knew that the man was dying of braincancer. that he was happier where he was now. nobody ever would.

He looked hlplessly at lestat for a moment then shook it off. "just keep driving until we hit moorcroft, then take the interstate east to gillette. we go south to cheyenne from there." he said, committing the directions to lestat.

"we will discuss this later." he whispered, looking at him for the last moment then rubing ANya's back.

"there, there... it wasn't your fault... i-.." armand trailed off.. words could not heal her pain now. perhaps his embrace could as he kissed her forehead.

Anastasia stopped sobbing once his kiss brushed against her forehead -it soothed her in ways she couldn't explain, however the tears kept flowing, and she snuggled herself more against him -even his scent was alluring now that her senses were more aware.

She smiled and took a deep breath before opening her eyes again.

"Thank you Armand" She whispered to him before further indulging herself in his comfort.

Lestat only nodded in the review mirror at Armands words and kept driving, going the exact route he had told him.

MOrning came too soon as Armand took over driving on teh side of the highway. the bed popped open to reveal a hidden bedded chamber beneath it that was sunproof.

"See you tonight, lestat." armand said dully as he took up the drivers seat and put the vehicle into gear again.

"SO Anya... I've been thinking... it's very possible your powers are malevolent in nature.. but mostly harmless... i think we can assume what happened was a defensive reflex no?" he said.

over the night, the soul inside her writhed and squirmed. the sensation akin to a squishy plastic bag filled with live squid, twisting and turning relentlessly. there was no pain. just a confusign array of feelings that left her unsatisfied emotionally as tot he fate of the soul inside her. nothign was certain, and life was an undetermined ride of unforseen twists and turns.

Armand seemed muted today as he drove. deep within his own thought, worried about his dear ANastasia... had she grown again?.. no.. please no. if she had.. she would have known before him however.

Anastasia listened sleepily to his theories as Lestat bid them both good day, she was still laying down lazily bundled up underneath the mass of covers courtesy of Armand's nephew. She rubbed her stomach, as if trying to soothe the soul within, and help it to find peace in knowing the inevitable -it was trapped.

"Im sorry.." She whispered -hoping he might hear -though it was unclear.

"I believe it was.. because I was fearing for my life.. and all of the sudden.. he was dead -at least that's what I believed.. and when I felt safe.. I was fine" She recalled shrugging and sighing hopelessly.

She didn't feel as if she had grown, but rather the soul had been trapped within the womb that her stomach had already created for itself.

She prayed it wouldn't grow at all anymore but rather shrink, otherwise

they were back to stage one.

"Armand... do you.. do you think im pretty?.. even as I am now?

The thoughts in her head sparked an irresistible urge to ask, because after all -only Armand's opinion counted to her in this equation.

Armand turned round at that comment and laughed a little under his breathe. he put the vehicle in park again and went into teh back with her, sitting down beside her.

" You where a goddess when i met you... and a goddess now, no matter what you may think." he siad, pulling the covers off her to reveal her domed belly beneath.

" THis..." he began, stroking across her flesh from left to right. " is no reflexion of what is inside.. inside your heart... your soul. I have seen beauty in every aspect of you, Anastasia. something no other human has ever displayed in all my years of living." he smiled, leaning close to her, his nose touching hers with a knowing grin.

"You are more soft than a rosepetal at midnight and far more lovely." he said, as if quoting poetry, btu it did not sound practiced. it was genuine as he stared point blank into her eyes. his hand still laying there atop her tummy, more warm than the warmest blanket she had on.

Anastasia blushed fiercely at his words, and didnt fight as he pulled the covers away -and even though her stomach troubled her severley on any other day, it seemed as he spoke she forgot she had it -or even that it was something beautiful.

As their noses touched with how close they were, she let her hand travel up his chest and to his cold cheek which she pressed her hand against, smiling slightly. "Well.. that just makes you the light in the darkness doesnt it?" she whispered, bringing her lips slightly closer to his.

Every day he reminded her just how much she loved him.

"When we get to California.. you must promise me that me and you will get alone time -like a mini vacation away from all of this -if only for one night?" She asked, still in a whisper. She knew Lestat wasnt listening, but she was rather lost for words.

Armands expression softened some more as she spoke, and her kiss sent warmth through his acheing old bones. "Perhaps i can make this business trip a bit more.. peaceful then we thought it, hmm?" he said, pondering a moment

"I'll take you on a date every night if thats what you want, love." he smiled, kissing her gently, wrapping hsi arms around her torso and letting her taste him.

Anastasia's expression also softened, and she sighed in pleasure after their kiss faded -it was beautiful and refreshing. "I do hope so.. I think you and me both could use a little peace.." she agreed with a quick nod, detaching herself from him just enough to be able to speak though their noses touched and she wrapped her arms around his neck slowly.

"Your so sweet Armand -your all I want.." she whispered, kissing him once more -it was something she couldn't get enough of.

"mm how lovely." he said, kissing her again. " the sentiment.. is OH so mutual." he smiled, kissing her again. He moved his lips to her neck and kissed her there too before detaching from her and going back to the drivers seat takeing off.

Down the road, they arrived at a mountain pass, the turns were horrible and steep, enough to make Anastasia's stomach begin to churn unhappily.

Twenty minutes ofthis later... there was somethgin wrong, armands senses picked up something.. strange.

" Anya.. look there, up ahead is that. . smoke!" he siad, speeding up, sure enough, up at the tops of a ridge, where there was no steep pass, but a tall rise with a slope leading into a ditch... a truck lay wasted and a minivan across the road was in splinters, steaming.

Anastasia looked over in horror at the scene before them -which made her stomach turn and flip upsetting it despite her rubbing to comfort it. "What.. what the hell?" She whispered in shock. As they approached she felt a tugging sensation on her stomach -almost as if something around the area made her stomach yearn for it.

A strange feeling -one she hadn't felt before.

However, she hadn't put it past her stomach to start acting strange after the ordeal earlier.

"Should .. we stop and help?"

"gods.. i .. i think we should." Armand mumbled, stopping the vehicle and Runing outside. he looked around for survivors. The man in the truck had been flung out of his vehicle and was leaning up against teh rail by the ledge, holdign his stomach, which had a piece of scrap metal protruding from it. he had his cellphone in his hand crying wet tears. "no service." he cried. repeating it over and over again.

HOwever across the road, the sound of people screaming was evident. a woman, her arm snapped backwards was leanign over a man, convulsing on the ground.

"holy mother of christ." he muttered, holding his hand over his mouth.

Anastasia hoped he wouldn't say that, however she couldn't object, she glanced at him with a worried expression before letting the car stop before stepping out slowly. Once again her stomach began to turn -she felt the urge to get closer but she didn't, she stayed by the van, waiting for Armand to get out and join her,

"This.. is crazy.. I think we should call the police and.. and not touch them" She chimed first, mostly because of the feeling deep down inside. It was one just as before with the man who tried to rape her. She didn't want to hurt these innocent people.

But the urge was becoming unbearable.

"Go check on that trucker. there's a first aid kit above the minifridge intback of the van!" Armand yelled without a second thought, he rushed to the side of the family over the man across the way after pullign the hazard lights on on the van.

The trucker had not yet seen the long haired, dark figure of Armand or the pregnant nervous form of Anya.

Anastasia snapped out of her trance and nodded, rushing over to the van and going exactly where he told her to, taking the first aid kit and then coming outside looking around the scene until she saw the man and then hesitantly made her way over. The closer she got the worse her stomach pains began she was positive now that it wanted him -but she had to retain herself.

Slowly she knelt down beside him and swallowed hard "Are.. are you okay? any major i-injuries?

Armand came to their side and gasped. the man was missing half his face from being slashed on the pavement and his wife was trying to gauze and bandage him as well as she could. armand bent down beside her and viewed the rest of him... no major injuries aside from a broken arm and the gashes that ruined his face, the dhamphire chuckled.

"HELP US!" the woman yelled at him, grabbign his collar. armand gazed at her, transfixing their eyes together with a smile. " everythign will be alright.... you will reember nothing from now until you see the white van disappear...." he said simply,

He brought his teeth to his wrist and bit down, an instant gush of blood gushing out onto the mans face. armand rose up and began to walk away, the children staring at him.

"I am Armand... remember me." he smiled to the toddlers.

Meanwhile the man, still in shke only grunted and groaned. That pull on her body to consume his essence pulsed around her, with even a touch of her skin to his, the process, as yet still unknown to Anastasia, would begin...

Anastasia's hands were shaking now, she could feel herself wanting him -yearning for the very thing that kept him alive now. The slits in her back tingling and her eye color which was already strange in itself, now purple -almost glowing as the time past.

"Armand.." She said his name quietly and in a whisper as she leaned in to help the man, latching on to his arm when just as she did, she felt herself gaining what her body wanted, her eyes closed and her mouth slightly parted -her heart beat sped up a bit as she took it all in

She needed what he had -she wanted it.