Growing Up, Growing Closer

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I would happily assist you in the search. He's a good boy on the inside, but pressure can make you go a little crazy," Lord Fitzrik replied. He smiled, "Though you should train first."

William thought about what he said and frowned. Jasper was such a nice person that he felt bad. There was a nagging feeling that his hospitality was a trap, but he ignored it. "Alright, alright," he said as he followed the man back to his house. He'd been in the house so many times and it wasn't very big but he really liked it, and it felt like a home.

Livia stayed the three days at the estate training with Lord Fitzrik. Her skills were sharp and polished now. Every waking moment was spent sparring with him on the field. Angela would bring meals out to them and they stayed out until it was too dark to see each other. Of course, while sparring, Livia asked Lord Fitzrik many questions about strategy and trickery. After all, having sword skills wasn't the only thing necessary for taking on Samson and whoever else was behind these attacks. Every night, Livia would travel the halls and the passageway to try and overhear any information she could about William and the attempts on his life. On the final day of her training, Livia happened by Lord Samson's room. It was one of the few bedrooms with a listening perch in the secret passage way. She assumed that if Lord Hulme knew about this passageway, it would only make sense to have Samson stay in this room. It just so happened that Samson and Frederick were present, and speaking about William's disappearance. Livia listened carefully to all that was said. Then, she darted off to her room. After what she just heard, she wanted to find William tonight. There was no more reason to wait around this estate any longer. Livia knew William would not be returning to this horrid house. She packed a few bags, left a note telling of her decision to depart and thanked the estate servants for their help and Lord Hulme's hospitality. Then, Livia sneaked onto the veranda and was gone.

She wasn't too sure of where William would be, but she wanted to stop by her house first. Maybe he would be at the glen they often visited as children, but if her and William were to go on the run, she would want some more of her mother's home cooking first. The hour was early as she knocked on her old home's front door. The sun had yet to rise, and at this hour, only her father would be awake. A small clanging noise was heard on the other side of the door and Livia recognized it as the sound of her father grabbing his sword. She had no idea why he would do such a thing. It's not like he would be expecting any enemies. The door opened slowly and only her father's face was visible. "Hello. Who is it?" The question seemed a bit out of place. Normally, her father would walk right out of the door and say hello to a person, no matter who it was. Livia lifted her hood to show her face and her father threw the door open. He hugged her and brought her inside with a large smile on his face. "My dear! It's so good to see you! I thought perhaps you were guards scouting for young William again. He's hiding in the store room at the moment. Been here for three days, I recon. Found him laying in the mud. Can you believe it? He was filthy. We brought him back and got him all cleaned up and fed. He's been doing chores around the farm during the day. No one would dare think a Lord would be doing such work so it's a perfect cover." Japser laughed. "Course, he doesn't know what the heck he's doing, but it's nice that he tries."

Livia went out to find William sleeping on a makeshift bed of burlap and cotton. He had some dirt on his face probably from a days work. He was so handsome dressed like a peasant. She recognized the clothes as ones her father used to wear. They were big on William, but he still looked good. She nudged his foot with hers. She herself had changed into her old clothes when she arrived home. As his eyes blinked open and looked around, Livia realized just how long it had been since he'd seen her in her peasant clothes. "It's me William. I've missed you." At an instant, William had popped to his feet and he was now hugging Livia. Livia stood frozen for a moment. She hadn't been hugged by him in a long time. It felt so nice, so safe and warm. She hugged him back and took in his new smell. To her, it smelled like home. "How have you been, my love?" She asked, still in her Lady Rutherham voice.

"I think he's alive, my Lord," Frederick had said, "I pieced things together. Everyday the guards search, all the forest, not a body, a fabric, he's alive." Lord Samson agreed, "It makes no sense. He never could survive...alone. I bet Lady Rutherham is involved." Frederick shook his head, "Why would she stay here?" Samson shrugged, "Disguise, distraction, I don't know. Put her down. Fitzrik will help find the boy. Then we'll put him down as well." He laughed, and Frederick resided to his own room.

William had never done a day's work in his life. It was hard, but he wanted to help. The clothes itched compared to the fancy suits he wore, and he didn't like the baggy trousers or the brown shirt that barely stayed on him, but he appreciated it. He wanted to help, so he tried to take care of their livestock, little amount as it may be, and their strips of land scattered with crops. The thing that frightened him most was a local noticing his identity. He realised why Livia was so worried as a Lady.

The door to the storeroom was opened, and light from gas lamps in the kitchen poured in, and he blinked a few times. When his sight was regained, he blinked once more. There was Livia, or was he imagining, simply a hallunication since he'd ate less food. He threw himself up as she spoke, wrapping his arms around her, "I'm sorry, Livia. I'm sorry I left you." He swallowed the lump in his throat.

A guard had walked around the forest a while and returned to Lord Hulme, "Sir, I have something you'll want to see." The man sighed, "It isn't my son." The guard frowned, "No, but it's a note addressed to him. From his mother." Hulme opened the door and snatched the smudged letter out of the male's hands, reading what wasn't stained with mud or rain. "Oh," he sat down, "Find Lady Rutherham!"

His arms filled her with a reassurance that they would be okay. "Will, I have never blamed you for leaving me there. I knew you had your reasons. Besides, now I can best you in a sword fight," she smirked, but the smile quickly faded. "William, Lord Samson and Frederick are moving against both of us. They search for us to kill us. We have to get far away from here. Traveling by night and moving south. They will begin searching to the north. They believe you'll be heading to your mother's original home town. We should go towards the southern peninsula and settle there. Samson's men won't suspect it and we can start over there. I have family there and they will help us until we can get a home of our own. What do you think?" She looked up at him with eyes full of hope. If they made it there, they could own a small farm or maybe a business. True, William didn't have much real world experience, but Livia could teach him. She didn't want to be parted from him again. They could be married by a small town preacher and live happily ever after. But, it would cost William everything he ever knew. His title, his home, his livelihood. It would be the biggest gamble of his life and that is if they managed to get there safely.

"But can you?" he replied to her smirked comment, "I've been doing it every week for eleven years." He laughed. I know how to knock the weapon out of your hands. A quick realisation that he had no weapon made him let out a groan.

When she spoke, he warmed naturally to the idea. Being safe, getting a new life where nobody knew his cold and dangerous past. But as she finished, he couldn't help but pull away. He knew his father wouldn't rest unless there was proof he was dead. "What if we get caught, Liv? What then?" He knew what would happen to him, but what would happen to her would be heart-breaking.

"I know it's risky," she walked over putting a hand on his shoulder. "But what other choices do we have? We can't stay here. They'll find us sooner than later. And if we go back to the estate, we're sitting ducks. We can't just kill Samson." Livia paused for a moment. Technically they could just kill Samson. However, that probably wouldn't solve their problems. In fact, killing a Lord had to be done with no evidence and William and Livia didn't have that kind of power and influence. "We could fake our deaths or something before we leave. Don't make me lose you again." It had been hell for Livia to remain at the estate without William. Sure, most of her time was spent fighting Lord Fitzrik, but every waking moment was a reminder that William was gone and in danger.

"We could go back. Tell Lord Fitzrik. He hates the geezer, and he has the most power of all the Lords. He'd believe us," William suggested. He had an idea of how they could fake their deaths, but he'd need Jasper's help. He couldn't bring himself to tell her that his plan was to leave her. Only then would she be truly safe. "But we have to leave now, Liv. It's not safe. We have to go right now." He was panicked, he knew by now there'd be another search, and only then would the guards sent out be distracted. The village would no doubt be searched again, and William didn't want either of them to be caught. He frowned, he could almost hear the footsteps even though there were none.

"Lord Hulme, Frederick and I request to search for the young Lord. Frederick here have a nagging feeling he knows where William is, and would like to bring him...safely...back to you," Lord Samson told Hulme, who nodded. "Of course, I will send some guards to assist you, and a horse for Frederick also from the stables."

"Calm down, William! We need a plan if we're going back. We can't just waltz back in and say, 'Woops, sorry. Lost track of time.'" Livia thought for a moment. "What about this? We tell them that you were in the garden late at night. You were attacked from behind and knocked unconscious. The perpetrator took you to the abandoned store house on the outskirts of the village. You were there for a few days until you were able to escape. You never saw your attackers face, and once you were free, you moved by night to get back here. That's when I found you walking alone as I left to search for you."

Livia paused for a moment. It would sound a bit ridiculous, but he was being targeted for assassination, so it wasn't too far fetched. "And, this way, we can get back to the estate and let Lord Fitzrik know. But, why did you leave in the first place? I know it was dangerous, but if you left then, why return now?"

"Because someone tried to kill me, Liv! They have knives and blunderbusses, and there was nobody there to help me when I needed it most," William snapped. "I didn't want anything to happen to you. I don't know, I left. It was a walk that I didn't want to end. I was thinking. I was scared, I don't know. I'm practically begging for punishment, and perhaps I deserve it." He nodded at her idea, but the back of his mind nagged, what if this fantasy was actually a reality? What if this fantasy happened to either of them? "Can't we just go? And blame
Samson while we're at it?"

Livia was deeply hurt by William's words. No one was there to help him? What was she then? Just more liability? She would kill for him, if he only said the word. "Please, don't say that you're all alone in this. I'm here." She crossed the room and looked out the window. "We should get out of here soon, I don't want my family caught up in my choices. And we can blame Samson, but I doubt it will make much difference. He's still a Lord." Livia folded her arms as her eyes memorized the dark street. A plan was swirling around in her mind, it was a dangerous and malicious plan, but still, it sat there making a home in her consciousness.

"I think you should go back without me. I'll be there tomorrow. They'll think I'm still out looking for you. You can tell your story to your father and take the day off from worrying about me being there. They won't come looking for me here. I'll be fine." Livia took one of the bags she brought with her and tossed it to William. Inside were clothes from his closet. "Put those on. Make sure they look dirty and torn. That way you'll at least look the part. Go ahead and I'll join you in a day. I have some preparations to make before I go back." She smiled at him.

"You're right. You were here. Sorry, Liv," William bowed his head in shame that he'd exploded in that manner, and even more that he had done so to her. "I just...argh, I don't know." He couldn't make up an excuse to her. She always knew when he was lying. He opened the bag and smiled at the suit. "I can't ruin this. It's French," he frowned. Then he realised that sounded stupid in the position they were in, "But then, I could just get a new one. Can't get a new life, can we?" He personally preferred the idea of leaving, with Lord Fitzrik's help, but she had her mind set and he knew she was powerful.

"I'll see you tomorrow, is that alright?" He excused himself and put on the clothes, but went out into the field, and rolled around a moment, tearing the delicate fabric on the fence, remembering to remove the evidence from Jasper's farm. He decided to sneak out the back gate, sprinkling the patches of the fabric in the woods near the village, before walking back. He didn't know what was worse, the torn suit or the itchy common outfit. He knew why Livia found it difficult to put on those fancy garments. William would as well if he'd had slip-on clothing his entire life.

When William left through the back, Livia grabbed a glass jar and headed outside to the meadow outside the village. It's the same meadow she and William played in years ago. On the far side, along the tree line, Livia knelt down. She always loved this plant, Belladonna. It grew to indicate water, and it had the most beautiful berries. Livia picked a handful or two of the berries with her covered hands and put them in the jar. A man from the village walked past and noticed her. "Careful with those berries! They're poisonous! Two of them will kill a lady as pretty as yourself!"

"Don't worry! They're for me and my mother's eyes!" She called back. The man nodded and walked off. It was such a common practice for women to use Belladonna berries, or Night Shade berries, for their juice. A drop or two into the eye causes the pupil to dilate and become larger, therefore, more appealing to men. These berries were always talked about in Livia's home. After all, she was named after Livia Drusilla, who was suspected of poisoning her husband, the emperor of ancient Rome, with Belladonna berries. Her mother wanted her to know, that no matter how great you were, if you became too ambitious and power hungry, it would lead you to do awful things to those around you.

After she took the berries home, she cooked them down into a syrup and placed them in a vial. It had become late afternoon, so Livia prepared for the next step. She dug in her trunk and found her old maid uniform. It hadn't been packed away too long, but it felt like ages since she'd seen the familiar dress. She slipped it on and packed a burlap sack with her Lady Rutherham gown and the vial. Today, she would look like she was going to work in the estate. Of course, that's exactly what she planned on doing. She hugged the sack to her waist, kissed her parents goodbye for a final time, and walked to the estate. The sun was beginning to set and that was perfect for her.

She used the entrance to the secret passageway in the garden. It was just past sunset and the estate was illuminated with light. As she traveled, she overheard people asking about Lady Rutherham's whereabouts. No one knew where she was at present. All they knew, was that she had gone off in search of William, who had since returned. Livia heaved a sigh of relief upon hearing that and she made her way to the kitchen. When she reached the exit into the kitchen, she waited for a moment until everyone had cleared out. Livia took the vial out of the bag and left the bag in the passageway. She emerged into the empty kitchen. There were pots bubbling with tonight's dinner on the stove and dishes in the sink. In the corner of the room, there was a small wine jug. This was no ordinary wine. It was Samson's private jug. He was very stingy with it. Only he was permitted to drink from it, and he drank it every night before bed.

Livia checked her surroundings again. Still, she was clear from observers. She took a deep breath and added the vial's contents to the jug. There was enough poison in it now to kill an army. The juice was highly potent, but it would be impossible to taste in a wine as thick as this. She took the vial and placed it on the counter. She wrapped it in a towel and smashed it to pieces. Once it was finely ground, she threw it into the incinerator. There would be no evidence to trace this back. And, since the symptoms were blurred vision, loss of balance, slurred speech and delirium, everyone would simply assume Samson was drunk. It was a perfect cover. His heartbeat and breathing would become erratic and he would die moments after he finished his first glass. This would end his attempts on William's life. Livia would have to bear the bloodshed on her hands alone. She wasn't sure that she would even tell William about this. The guilt might prove to be even too much for her to handle. It would make her a murderer, and that was something she didn't want to become. However, if it meant saving her love, she would do it. Then, she would most likely disappear from William's life. She refused to taint him with this sin.

Everyone that passed her that evening saw her as another servant. Even Angela, who had waited on her earlier, saw her as another worker. She even delegated tasks to her in preparing for the evening meal. It was funny to Livia. Dark soon encompassed the estate as dinner ended and bedtime approached. The bell in the kitchen that connected to Samson's room rang. Livia looked up at the other ladies. None of them seemed to want to move. "Should I answer it?" Livia asked the room of unresponsive women.

"Someone must, but I'd hate for it to be you." An older maid stood by the sink washing dishes and talking. "He is calling for his nightly glass of wine. He sips the cup while he tries to usher the server into bed with him. A few girls have fallen victim to him. It's awful." Livia had never heard of such rumors, but there was no way a servant would speak out against a Lord.

"I'll be fine," with that, Livia took the glass, full of wine and poison, to Samson's room. He wouldn't recognize her most likely, and even if he did, there was no other way. Livia wanted to watch him drink this wine. She wanted to bear the full weight of this sin. She knocked on the door to his room and entered. The room was dark, and Samson lay alone on his bed. "Lord Samson, I have brought your nightly wine." She said and gave a full curtsy. It had been a while since she'd bowed this low to anyone.

As he was walking back, he dreaded every moment. In those few days he'd been gone, the lack of food compared to his normal meals had caused him to lose weight, so at least, he looked the part completely. His head hurt from all the thoughts ambushing it, so he put his hand to it, and as he reached his house, he sighed. It looked eerie. Extremely eerie. He'd never thought about how big it was until that moment. He knocked on the door using the brass handle, and it swung open. It was clear this particular guard hadn't slept in days.

He was pulled inside, and the door was shut. Before he knew it, he was being questioned about everything. "I was...hit on the head, outside the garden. I think I was kidnapped. It's all blurry. I was dragged somewhere. They saw something and left, but I never got to see them. I had a sack on my head. I was scared," he lied, adding body expression to exaggerate, and the guards that gathered along with Lord Hulme looked shocked, but his father held a blank expression. "Perhaps you would care to explain, William. Everything."

William went pale. Did he know the truth? "First off, your items of clothing. Secondly, what you were doing in the garden in the first place. And third of all, Lady Rutherham. Where is she?" Lord Hulme crossed his arms. William was not going to blame Maudie for the outfit choice. The poor woman would be fired. "I found that I would be wearing my most expensive outfit for my coronation, and practice makes perfect. However, it was early and my shoes were not yet polished. As for the garden, it is the place where I am calm, isn't it. Lady Rutherham isn't here?" He remembered to sound saddened at the fact his 'fiancé' wasn't around.

"Lady Rutherham left nearly a day ago searching for you. She has since not returned," the guard who had opened the door was the one to break it to him. "You let a LADY who is to be my bride leave this estate into dangerous, foreign areas!" William exploded, but it was all part of the string of lies. "She doesn't know enough to survive out there! She's dim-witted!" He hoped if Livia was there she knew it was a lie. She was intelligent, perhaps more intelligent then him, though he wouldn't tell her that. Yet.

The guards were soon dismissed, and Lord Hulme walked down the stairs. He circled his son silently, with his hands behind his back. "Why is your suit torn in such a way?" he asked. "I went through the woods, father," William said. It was the truth. "I have lost my footwear, however." Hulme nodded. "Go and get washed. Maudie will supply you with real clothes." William felt guilty that a trail of mud from his back would have to be tidied up after him, but he supposed it couldn't be helped. He hoped they'd be pleased he was home once more. Though he wasn't sure.

William appreciated the long bath he had, washing every strand of hair until the streaks of mud were gone, and he was glad of it. Although he loved a fight and to climb trees, there was always the oppurtunity of a wash afterwards. The water comforted him until he got ready for the dinner tonight. His wardrobe was the only thing in his bedroom left untouched. The rest had been searched for something, and it put him off. He got dressed, and walked down to dinner, surprised that the table had been set and the mud of the corridor was long gone, all in the space of an hour or so.

The dinner was also in that strange quiet. It didn't put William off his food, that he ate as quickly as possible while keeping his manners. Frederick watched him the entire time, those piercing blue eyes stared at him as if they knew what he was up to. Lord Samson sat across from him, however, and when William ignored the various questions thrown at him for no apparent reason, he'd receive a kick from under the table. It was the best feeling in the world when he was excused, and resided to bed for the night.

Soon after he left, however, Samson dropped his bombs. "He's afraid of something in this house, Thomas. I am, too. I think this is too much. Maybe he needs a vacation away from this. When I leave here, I would happily take him for a visit. Frederick would like that, wouldn't you? Since, it is my home your daughter shall live in, it is always nice for the whole family to have their say in it." Lord Hulme nodded, "That's considerate of you, Lord Samson. I shall speak with William in the morning." Samson shook his head, "Surprise him. It'll add to the...fun. But, no matter. I shall go to my bedroom for the night. I bid you all farewell till sunrise."

The bedroom quarters were dark for Samson, though he couldn't be bothered with a match nor the light switch. The dagger he slept with lay comfortably by his side, and he waited until the door opened and he heard a familiar voice. Of course it's familiar. This estate has less servants. I've probably heard them all, he thought. "Hello," he began darkly, "Oh, thank you, little one." He knew the voice was young, younger than his companion Frederick. He did not once look up at the servant girl, and if he did, he would've known why the voice was actually familiar. As the wine was let down onto the table, he picked up a glass and poured. He sipped. He fell, and said his last words, "William!" He blamed the young Lord, who ran in.

"Samson! I mean, Lord Samson! He's dead! Oh my. What? How?" William panicked, glancing up,at Livia and winking as if he understood perfectly the dead man slumping off the four-poster bed. "Alcohol poisoning. Told him he'd die of it one day. Nobody needs wine that thick," Frederick said, though his eyes were welling up with tears as he picked up the jug and went towards the bathroom to pour the water down the sink.

After his body was inspected, and Lord Hulme was informed of his passing, Samson's body was cleaned and laid into a wooden coffin. Then, he was placed on the back of a wagon. He would be taken back to his estate in the morning to be buried next to his ancestors. With his passing, Frederick was now the ruling lord of Samson's territory. Livia excused herself in the middle of preparing Samson. Her stomach lurched and she felt so weak. She had killed a man, a Lord, Frederick's adopted father. The sin weighted heavily on her heart. True, Samson had plotted to kill William and he confessed to as much on the evening of the ball. However, Livia was now just as bad as he. Her hands were stained with his blood and the juice from the Belladonna berries. She was able to wash the berry stains off, but the blood would never be cleaned.

William caught on quickly to what had happened in the room. His wink reassured her that she had done the best thing, but her conscious was far from forgiving. It was tearing her apart. After slipping into the passageway in the kitchen, she changed into her Lady Rutherham gown from the burlap sack. Then, she walked the long way to the garden. She slipped out and headed towards the front door. It was time for her Ladyship to reappear. On the way to the front, she saw the servant boys carrying Samson's coffin out to the wagon. His last look and his accusation of William forced Livia to her knees as she threw up behind a nearby bush. She was shaking and sweating profusely. Samson was a vile man, but her actions were more so.

After composing herself, Livia knocked on the door to the estate. She was let in by a guard and was quickly filled in on the news of Samson's death. There was no need to act in response. The tears slid down her face silently and she simply nodded with understanding. The guard led her to Lord Hulme's study to wait for his return. He had been looking for her for some time apparently. Livia was so glad to be able to meet with him. As she had thought earlier, the guilt of Samson's murder was heavier than she could have imagined. She felt disgusted at herself. There was no way she could live a happy life with William now. It wouldn't do for her to see him again. She would simply tell her decision to his father and then slip out of William's life. He would forget her with time. She knew she would never forget him, but eventually, he would find a real lady to replace her. Then, they could have children and build a life. They would do all the things that Livia hoped to do with him. It broke her heart to think this way, but she was convinced it was for the best. Now, all she had to do was wait for Lord Hulme to arrive so she could break the engagement. Then, she would leave to the south, and never see William again.

"I- I can't be a Lord," Frederick had managed to say faintly. "I- Lord Samson wouldn't want me as a Lord. He said the h-horse would be a better Lord than I," he continued to stutter as he was told he would be sent back to the estate to be cared for and coronated. "I don't even know how to be a Lord. I'm not smart enough! I'm illiterate, I can't be a Lord!" He was pretty sure he wouldn't be good enough for the expectations of Samson. "We can teach you everything, Frederick," someone told him softly, and he cried, because he couldn't think straight.

Only then did William feel some guilt that he'd practically encouraged Livia to kill Samson. That man was more family to Frederick than his actual family. "Well, Titania can help," he willed himself to suggest, and received a deathly glare from the new Lord Samson. "The engagement is off," the boy muttered, storming out of the room and slamming the door angrily. He couldn't deal with a wedding at the moment, and it was a distraction from his deep mourning.

"Thank you very much," Titania hissed at her half-brother, standing up and following her ex-fiancé, calling his name desperately. They'd loved each other, even if the marriage was from their fathers, they'd bonded, and that was obvious by the sound of the lump in her throat. "It wasn't my fault," William frowned, and Lord Hulme found this as a good time to go to his study, as he was aware that Lady Rutherham had arrived.

"Lady Rutherham," he said as he opened the door and saw the girl standing there. "It's nice to see you again. Lord Hulme has returned. He was abducted." Apparently, he continued in his head.

"Ab-Abducted?" Livia acted as worried as could be. After all, the feelings of worry she was forced to hide during her training with Lord Fitzrik were still burried. It was nice to express them, even if she knew William was now safe. "That's awful," she continued. "I'm so glad he's alright." Livia paused. She was unsure how to bridge from this topic to the next. Either way, she needed to get this over with while she still had the courage.

"Lord Hulme, I would like to express my gratitude. You've taken me into your home and given me every luxury. I'm deeply grateful. However, I feel as if it would be best for me to leave. I feel as though I fall short of what William deserves in a bride and I cannot continue to abuse your hospitality." These words were probably the truest ones Livia had ever spoken to him. "If possible. I would like to leave as soon as possible. I cannot stand to be a burden to this house any longer. Even my act of going out to search for William caused worry and stress for the House of Hulme. My pride as a Lady cannot sustain another day of feasting from a table that is not mine." Livia could feel a lump rise in her throat. It was incredibly difficult to not collapse into tears in the middle of Lord Hulme's study.

Lord Hulme had nodded solemnly as she'd spoke of William's supposed abduction, and agreed with everything she'd said, but as she paused, well, Lord Hulme had known of many a pause before. None were of the best kinds; 'I want a divorce' was the most popular.

As she spoke of her gratitude, he smiled widely. Nothing made him happier then compliments, even in such a dark time like the death of his fellow Lord, Samson. "But Lady Rutherham, why? He was abducted, not running. He wants you, he chose you!" He sat down and put his head in his hands. Two break-ups and it's not even dawn yet, he thought with his face rather hallow and cold in a little hurt that nobody seemed to be happy anymore. "It did not cause much of worry, just anxiety. Never has a Lady stood for a Lord. Do not go. Please." He knew how William felt, yet there was something by now that nagged him. It was delayed by a guard coming in and saying that Titania had requested to go to the manor with Frederick (much to the loud yelling of disagreement that were echoing down the long halls) and wanted to know if her father would allow it. Lord Hulme nodded, before turning his attention back to Livia, narrowing his eyes to work out what was going on as if he could see her soul. "I do not understand, Lady Rutherham," he eventually said. "You are young, smart, beautiful, a Lady...you hit the highest of expectations. And my son...has never hit the highs. What is different? Which one am I wrong about?"

Livia hated that this was being dragged out. It could be too easy for William to overhear if this talk continued much longer. A small scuffing noise distracted her from her response. It sounded as if someone were in the secret passageway. It could have been another assailant, or even worse, it could have been William listening in to what was being said. Livia's heart rate increased. She didn't know what to do now. How could she talk her way out of this situation? Her mind swam with various thoughts before landing on one. Tell the truth. Naturally, if she was outed for not being a Lady, Lord Hulme could have her put to death on the spot. She needed a way to come clean without that happening. True, she felt like she deserved death for killing Samson, but if Lord Hulme ordered it, it would crush William.

"To be honest, Lord Hulme. I am not a Lady by birth. Please forgive me for my deception. My situation is quite like Lord Frederick's," she willed herself to look him in the eyes. She needed this to be convincing. "My parents were servants of Lord Rutherham for many years. When Lord Rutherham traveled for a holiday at a neighboring Lord's estate, they were attacked by bandits upon their return. My birth father and mother were there accompanying him. They were loyal and they perished trying to protect Lord Rutherham's caravan. I was only twelve at the time, and to repay their efforts, the Lord took me in as his own." Livia paused and caught her breath. This entire cover up was getting complicated. "So you see, I am not of noble birth, and if that were to be found out, it would be difficult to explain to the people. William deserves a true Lady. I should not be allowed to wed him simply because I hold a false title."

Livia looked at Lord Hulme. What would he say next? Sure, he was fine with Titania marrying a false Lord, but she was a step child, and not the heir to his estate. This could go either way. Honestly, Livia was expecting him to become enraged and demand she leave at once. He completely refused Livia before because she was a peasant. Why would now be any different? And who knows what William would do if he had in fact overheard. He could be ready to barge in at any moment.

"Oh," Lord Hulme said quietly, thinking about this. He needed to do what was best for William, as an heir as well as a son. He was in love with Lady Rutherham, however, respect and reputation for the young Lord was deeply important. Titania had been born out of wedlock, and therefore, was allowed to do as she wished, but William was different. Much different. "Well." He quite liked Frederick, though he was unprepared. "But the Lords and Ladies, they do not know?" he asked, rubbing his forehead in thought. Perhaps she could live a lie.

A mysterious person pressed their ear against the walls. This was interesting information. At the scoffing of their shoe, they held their breath to avoid many more noises. Breathing out almost silently, they continued to listen. Lord Hulme was getting rather desperate, wasn't he? It was as if he needed the girl to marry his son. There'd been all sorts of things pointing suspicion to the man - it surprised the person that Hulme was willing to let another criminal slip through his fingers. Though Lady Rutherham - or, as the person knew, Livia - was no ordinary girl. A commoner who could impersonate a noble being for as long as she had was definately someone the person would have to watch if he wanted to remove the young Lord Hulme from the throne. Even with Samson dead, there were still many capable people ready to stand up. Maybe they could stage a little accident. Torn apart by wolves, like Samson had suggested.

"I mean, you were accepted by the House of Rutherham, you must have had a high education of some sorts," Lord Hulme added.

"Forgive me, but my education has come from simple observation and skilled acting. I must admit, there are many areas where I am lost," Livia couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. She looked over at the spy alcove where she had heard the noise. It would be impossible to check the hallway with Lord Hulme standing here. "It would make me feel quite relieved to remove this lie from my heart. I can understand your concern and worry as not only a Lord, but a father. However, if my deceit were to be uncovered..." Livia's mind thought back to Samson's corpse. She could still hear him calling William's name with his last breath. "I fear the guilt would eat me alive. I was never treated as anything other than a Lady in their presence. How could I do something so despicable?" True, at the moment, she was thinking of Samson, but her words held for the rest of the court as well.

The curiosity was building in Livia's mind. She was certain she heard someone in the passage way. "Perhaps time will help settle my mind. Shall we discuss this further after dinner? I think it would give us both a chance to consider the possible outcomes."

Livia bowed and left Lord Hulme's study. In the hall, she checked for a clear coast and slipped into the passageway. If it were William inside, he would have been unable to keep quiet throughout that discussion. Livia assumed Lord Hulme would be speaking to William about it in a moment anyways, so she was glad for the temporary escape, but that was not her purpose for entering the walls. She was hunting the person that eavesdropped on her conversation. By now, Livia had the entire estate and the passageways memorized. She had also set up hidden traps throughout the passages to determine if someone else had been in them. As she suspected, the one's by Lord Hulme's study had been tripped. She followed their trail and it led in the direction of William's mother's old room. She rounded the last corner, just in time to see the false wall of her closet close quietly behind the person.

She rushed to the door and went through. Bursting out of the closet, she came face to face with the person standing there, with the person who had overheard her confession to Lord Hulme.

Status
Not open for further replies.