Growing Up, Growing Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I understand. I'm sure we can find a way," Lord Hulme murmured. He was so...mind boggled. Why would she let William down so easily when all she did was care rather greatly for him? It broke his heart, and no doubt would break his son's.

William. Innocent, young William who didn't know how to spell half the words he needed to, yet survived days captured, hungry, thirsty, and...ugh...mud infested. That's all he could think of. How was he going to explain to him that his lady was not what he thought? Would he be as cold and distant as he was when Lord Hulme remarried? As angry as he was when Samson spoke of him? Of course, he knew it was wrong what Samson said, but William should not have reacted in such a way. Neither should have the man.

The person ran along at the sound of footsteps, before running down. The constant training caused them to be fast, but not fast enough to notice another trap, tripping. They scrambled up and opened the door, slamming it shut. Once, what they believed, safely inside the room of William's mother, they sighed in relief, before realising Livia entered also.

"It's nice to see you again, Lady Rutherham. Was that your plan all along? Leave my brother to struggle with the pain of being rejected by someone he cared about? You disgust me more for that then you do for stealing my clothing," Titania said, clearly angered, with a twange of pain. Behind the arguing, the fights, the threats, the different mothers, they shared a father, a blood type, and a love that would cause them to stand by each other. And at the moment, the older of the two was showing that. "It's not like he's already got a thousand things to deal with. Though, you wouldn't understand. You're nothing but a commoner." Perhaps she was angered from her broken engagement from Frederick (who had forbidden her coming home alongside him).

Last edited by a moderator:
Livia didn't know whether to be relieved or even more anxious that the listening ear belonged to Titania. Still, she sighed and sat down on the chair facing the vanity. "Titania, it's rude to listen to another person's conversation. You should know that being raised as a Lady." Livia rolled her eyes and rested her hand on her head. It was throbbing from all of today's events. "Besides, it is as you say. I'm nothing more than a commoner. You should be glad I asked to leave this place. This puts you closer to becoming a ruling Lady, does it not? Don't act like you're not hoping to inherit the title you father owns. However, once things calm down, you might just become Lady Samson and rule a larger territory with more power, will you not?"

Normally, Livia would never say such crude and disrespectful things to Titania. She rather liked the girl on most days and her class was higher than Livia's. Still, with today's events, there was no need for pleasantries. "Besides, half the time you act like you want your brother dead, the other half you act like you care for him as a sister. Which is it? Because you're making me quite dizzy with all of your back and forth." Livia was actually now feeling quite dizzy. "Do you plan on telling your brother of my choice to leave? Of course, he'll want to know the real reason. It's not like he'd honestly believe what I told your father, and he knows I love him enough to kill for him," the thought made Livia's head spin again, "so why am I leaving? Would you like to know?" Livia smirked at the thought of Titania becoming enraged at her. It almost made her heart flutter knowing that she would at the least start hitting her, giving her some punishment for her dreadful actions.

That's when Livia realized, that her heart was actually fluttering. No, not fluttering, but beating irregularly. Her head was swimming and her vision was beginning to blur. Her temperature was rising steadily and she began sweating. It was almost as if she had been the one poisoned. Livia widened her eyes, and looked in the vanity mirror. Even with the sun shining brightly into the room, her pupils were dilated. She began to panic slightly. She had the symptoms of Belladonna poisoning. She stood to her feet quickly. Titania was saying something, but Livia couldn't register what that was. She moved to the doorway and walked out of the room. She thought she heard someone calling after her, but her mind wasn't registering anything. She was piecing together how she had managed to be poisoned. As Livia thought back, she recalled her hands. They had been stained with the juice of the berries just hours ago. True, she had worn gloves to pick the berries, but not to stew them or pour the juice into the wine. In fact, when she was pouring the vile into the wine, she used her hand as a funnel so she didn't leave any evidence behind in the kitchen. She had planned to clean them immediately afterward, but after recovering the wine, Maudie had entered the room and began delegating tasks to her.

Livia had spent the rest of the day working and cleaning, and when it came time for the servants to eat their portioned meal for the day, there had been no time to wash hands. In fact, it was mostly finger food for today's lunch and Livia distinctly remembered licking her fingers at one point. It was something she never did as a Lady, but as a servant, it was more or less a built in trait. They were fed scarcely, so every crumb counted. Livia had poisoned herself. Of all the short sighted and impossible realities, Livia had become her own biggest threat. It was a bit funny to her, Samson and Frederick had wanted her dead and plotted to kill her. She killed Samson, but yet, in a way, he had killed her. As she emerged into the main hallway, she began to laugh hysterically. Even from beyond the grave, Samson had been powerful. He had still managed to poison her. The irony was riveting. Well, it was more the delirium and hallucinations at work than the irony. Still, she was laughing and stumbling down an empty hallway. Someone rounded the corner towards her. It was William, or at least, Livia hoped. After all, this could be another mind trick. She clung onto him and looked up at him. He had just looked so upset a moment ago, but now that looked seemed to fade and turn into worry and panic.

Livia held onto him for dear life. She hoped her speech would remain un-slurred for this moment. "William. My love. Forgive me, I did not mean to hurt you so. But, how could you be with me knowing the sins I've committed? How could you stay with someone who's hands are stained with blood? Funny isn't it? I've managed to kill a man and yet, myself at the same time. I planned to live alone with the weight of my sins and leave you to find a better woman, but now it looks like I'm taking the easy way out. I even had an antidote in the bag in my room, but it looks like I won't be able to reach the pilocarpus leaves in time. Sad, isn't it?" She looked up at the outline of William, he seemed to be saying something, but she couldn't tell what it was. He appeared to be shouting and turning in all directions, but it was probably just her mind playing tricks on her. Still, if this was a gift from death, to be able to see him one last time, she would gratefully accept. "William, I love you. I love you so much." Livia felt tears falling from her face. If it wouldn't hurt him, she would have kissed him one last time. "Even if you move on and live happily with someone else, don't forget me. Don't doubt how much I love you, ever. I may not be able to hold you anymore, but I will still love you. With my entire heart. With my entire being. I love you, a thousand times over." Livia could feel her body being shaken as her eyes began to close. Whether that was a side effect, or the person holding her close, she couldn't tell. Her consciousness faded and all was silent.

Suddenly, Livia burst forth, sitting straight up in the large, four-poster bed in the highly ornate room of the Hulme mansion. It was dark and Angela stood off on the other side. She rushed over when she noticed Livia had awakened. "Milady! Anna! Are you alright? Lay back! You shouldn't be up yet. You've been poisoned and unconscious for three days. Please, remain still." It took Livia a moment to realize what Angela was saying. Partly because she had just woken up, and the other part because she called her Anna. That's right, she thought, I'm still Lady Annabelle Rutherham here, aren't I?

"I've changed my mind. Call me Bella from now on," Livia said. It was strange, but that was the first thing she said after waking up. This made more sense than Anna, though. Bella, for Annabelle, or for Belladonna. A smile nearly showed on her face. She began to recount her events before passing out. Her eyes danced as the memories flashed across her mind. She remembered finding Will and telling him many things. Perhaps he had found the leaves of the antidote in time before the poison claimed her life? She figured it was a good thing that she vomited earlier that day behind the bushes. That may have bought her more time. Livia looked up at Angela, "William?"

"Ah, he just left a moment ago to get a drink. He hasn't left your side in days. He must be exhausted." As Angela finished speaking, the door to Livia's room opened. Tears fell silently from Liv's eyes as Angela left the room and the figure crossed over to her bed.

"William," was all Livia said before she jumped up and threw her arms around him.

Titania was a little surprised at her openness. It caused her to move away. The girl was crazy. Maybe they were all a little crazy. "I would if Samson wasn't dead. Frederick wants nothing to do with me. And I'm a girl. I don't inherit things unless my successor chooses me. And that's not going to happen any time soon. Unless they got desperate. It's easy to get rid of people like they don't matter. Or at least, it is to people like you. But not to me. It's not permitted," she frowned, a little saddened. Until she noticed something off. She stepped closer, "What's wrong with you?" she screamed as the pupils widened. "What are you?" She had freaked out.

At that moment, William was wandering aimlessly around the corridors. Livia fell into him and began splurting slush. Only a few words caught him. "I love you too," he replied, though he wasn't sure as she fainted into his arms.

It was then, three days later, he was in a similar position. Of course she was no longer going to collapse on him (he hoped) but she had ran to him. "Hello," he murmured, holding her closer than he had ever done before. He never wanted to have to let her go again.

((Sorry I'm in a wifi free world))

Last edited by a moderator:
Livia took in everything about him, his scent, the feeling of his arms around her. Everything made her heart beat ferociously. "William, I thought I would never see you again," she laughed. "I made a slight miscalculation." She looked at him with questioning eyes. "How did you know the antidote to the poison? Was I able to tell you in that state I was in?" Livia was dying to know if Titania or Lord Hulme told William about her wanting to leave. She may still decide to go, but now, she was just glad to see him.

"I know lots of things. Some are painful. And few are useful. But Titania worked out the antidote. She works out lots of things," he told her, relaxing a lot more so not one bit of tensity was there. "You'd told me, but I couldn't understand very much." He had a twange of hurt in his eyes. He knew.

Something was off about William. Livia was sure of it. It was almost as if he was hiding something. Almost as if he knew something.

Livia's heart froze. She remembered telling him about her plans to leave in her delirium. Sure, he said he didn't understand, but he also spoke to Titania. The way he was holding her so close... there was no way he didn't know. "What else am I to do, William?" There was no point to hide it now, "I killed him. And his blood is on my hands. How am I to hold you with these stained hands?" She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "How am I to bear this sin?"

She began to shake in his arms. The images of Samson's corpse plagued her mind. And his haunting last words, accusing William of her crime. And poor Frederick. The only man who was a father to him was now dead thanks to Livia. She looked to William for something, anything. Though, she felt as if she deserved none.

Status
Not open for further replies.