Growing Up, Growing Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The art of the sword, you say. I have heard in the mountains of archery. I don't see a problem with your study of the sword. In fact, I think we should teach women that. William, what's the name of your tutor?" Lord Hulme replied before turning to his son sharply. "Geoffrey?" William replied, smirking at Lord Samson's annoyance. "I would like to learn the sword also," Lady Fitzrik said. The woman was one of the most powerful in the country. She literally had tea with the Queen. "Can I not protect you enough?" Lord Fitzrik asked. "Yes, but did you not say that the best thing in the military is knowledge?" The court clapped, and then dinner came out. "Steak, Maris Piper potatoes, carrots and Lord Samson's personal favourite, Brussels sprouts," Lord Hulme said as he stood up and did a toast to the food.

Livia was glad her proposal had been accepted. She couldn't wait until she could wield a sword. It might help her protect not only herself, but William too. It was something she was eager to learn. She followed William in raising her glass for the toast. They ate, and Livia made sure to inspect her food carefully, and William's as well. Samson and Frederick might be across the table, but that was no alibi for posioning.

The meal was eaten with no one dying, so Livia figured they were too smart to make an attempt here. When the meal was finished, it was time for Livia to interact with the other members of court. William stayed by her side throughout the meetings. Lord Kale walked up to Livia with his eyes peering over her body. "Lady Anna," his eyes flashed to William, "Or rather, Lady Rutherham. How does this evening find you?"

"Quite well. And yourself?"

"It's finding me better and better the more I see of you." His flirtatious attitude was making Livia sick. She nearly rolled her eyes. William stood beside her hearing and seeing all of this. Would he react?

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" William asked Lord Kale. He didn't even recognise the Lord. He clearly was disgusted and a little jealous, he couldn't stand anyone acting higher than they actually were. "My father doesn't allow scum in his house." He sniggered, throwing knives in his mind at the man. He must know the two were engaged, so why did he flirt with his woman?

"Lord Mustfield is my name. And I assure you, I'm not scum." Kale glared at William. "I simply find Lady Rutherham's presence... bewitching." He took Livia's hand and kissed it. "I don't know why she would accept your engagement when she could have waited a bit and excepted mine."

Livia pulled her hand from Kale's. She didn't know what to say in this situation. Kale looked at her with hungry eyes, while William looked at him with hatred.

"I'll tell you why, my friend, because I cared about her so much I asked her first," William replied. He didn't want to sound possessive, but that was the only way he was going to get his point across. He felt like a wild animal out of it's chains. "So, run along little boy."

Kale glowered at William. "If that is your wish, Lord Hulme. Oh, and please be careful. I heard you were nearly assassinated last night." Kale looked at him another moment, and then turned back to Livia, "What a shame, huh?" He kissed her hand again and he was off.

Livia turned to William, "Sorry. I didn't know what to do there. I didn't want to offend him and cause a scene. But thank you, for coming to my aid." She looked at him and smiled as the others came to speak with her. Throughout the progression of the evening, Livia kept an eye on Frederick and Samson. William left her side to go to the restroom and that is when Frederick came up to her.

"Nice to see you, again," Livia said to the man as he approached. She didn't want to play dumb with him. She knew it was him last night. It had to be.

"Stupid, arrogant child," William muttered as Kale left, turning to Livia, "I'm keeping my eye on him. He gives me hibbery-jibbers." He smiled politely as many approached, often the Lady's began a conversation so the Lord's would strike up their own. Often they went to greyhound races that had newly opened, or jousting of some sort.

After a while and the two were alone, William excused himself. There was not often time to do things when such grand parties took place, and the heat of the room got to him. He stood in the corridors for a few moments, just to be able to breathe.

Frederick smiled. He knew she was catching on, but he played dumb. "I know, we were opposite at dinner, so it is nice to see you too, Lady Rutherham. I suppose we will be siblings-in-laws once Titania and Lord Hulme are married, so I wanted to get to know you."

"I bet. Well, I would certainly like to know more about you, Lord Frederick. I must admit that I heard you were taken in by Lord Samson at a young age. That sounds like quite the rags to riches story. How fortunate for you. What was your childhood like?" Livia wondered if Frederick recognized her from their days spent playing in the fields. If he did, would he say anything? It was all over if he outed her, but she had something equally pressing on him. For the sake of William, she hoped Frederick would lay all of his cards on the table.

"Actually, it's a riches to rags idea. I was sent to Lord Samson in disgrace," he scratched the back of his neck. "I lost lots of trust. I'm hoping Titania can change that. I just wish I'd treasured the times I played with William and this other girl he hung out with, you know, in a friendly way when he was about six or seven. I think her name was Layla or something." He looked nervous for sharing the information, as if Lord Samson was forcing him to do things. He couldn't complain. He could've been sent to death by his father.

Livia listened with caution. It was hard to tell if Frederick was being honest or playing dumb. "I've heard of that girl. Her name was Livia. And I am sorry to hear of such hard things in your past. I do hope we get to know each other well, Frederick." she said glowering.

It was then that William returned. Livia wondered if Frederick would speak to William. Even if he was doing Lord Samson's bidding and was trying to assassinate him, that didn't mean he couldn't treasure William as an old friend.

"Hello," William muttered as he came back in. He wanted to stab Frederick three times in the back. "Hello, brother," Frederick replied, smiling in a kind way. "I will never be a brother to you," William simply said. "What's wrong?" Frederick asked. He glanced at Livia, seeing if she'd react oblivious or knowledgeable. "What did I do?" William felt the dagger in his belt, ready to bring it out but he didn't want to go against any morals Livia may have had.

Livia had absolutely no idea what was going on. Still, she wasn't about to let Frederick know. "Gentlemen, now is surely not the time to be discussing such tiresome matters. And Lord Frederick, I feel that it is time you return to Titania's side. She must be growing restless with you so far from her."

After Frederick left, Livia turned to William. "Okay. Now is the time to discuss such tiresome matters. Tell me, what did you two mean brothers? I do not recall you and him being brother's when we were younger. What's going on? What happened?"

"He's not. He's marrying Titania. He thinks that makes us brothers. I don't treat Titania like a sibling, and likewise. Besides, they are trying to ruin my life!" William whispered harshly. "And he's not a Lord. He didn't deserve his title. He's as illegitimate as Titania." He frowned and was puzzled by why she was so serious. Had he not said enough to get his point across that the two weren't related? William sighed, "You had a lovely conversation."

"Ah. Sorry. The way he spoke made it sound like he really though you were his brother. Almost as if he were the son of your father's mistress. Naturally, that's impossible, but I wasn't sure what he meant." Livia paused and turned to William. "You heard our conversation? You could have joined us earlier. I probably shouldn't have reminded him of my true name, but he looked so happy recalling the days we shared. Still, the fact that he is after your life, even if it is Samson's order, it's heart wrenching."

"My father's mistress is married to him. After mother died," William said, "There are no others. Losing three wives put him off falling in love again. Stabbed, shot, protecting baby in the cot, he always says." He didn't seem saddened talking about the deaths, more angered or in a way that suggested he felt suspicious about them.

He turned to her next statement, "I heard not much, but enough. I decided when it got too far I would intervene. Much like that Lord something or other, Mustardmeadow." He didn't remember Kale's name. William didn't believe it was important.

"Mustfield," Livia said, not caring one way or another. When Lord Hulme's last wife passed, there were certainly suspicious circumstances. Perhaps everything was tied together. Livia didn't want to think about that, but she shuddered anyways. "Do we have to talk to anyone else tonight? All of these people give me the creeps. I don't trust them for a second."

"I know, but it's a meeting of the court. Know why I get tired now?" William joked, but he seemed as irritated as he was about the court. "We could be excused but sadly, it's Samson's party. My father has only loaned the house for Samson.

He knew what she was thinking. It was definitely suspicious, he knew that. He also knew she died protecting him. Sometimes she wondered what he was being protected from.

Livia rolled her eyes. "I hate the way Samson keeps looking over at us. You can almost see his evil intentions." Angela walked by carrying a tray of drinks. "Angela," Livia addressed her. "Do me a favor and keep bringing Lord Samson fresh glasses of wine. I don't want to see him with an empty hand once tonight. Understand?"

"Understood, milady." Angela bowed and walked away.

"Maybe he will slip up if he's drunk," Livia said to William. "If we're lucky, he'll admit something stupid."

Angela did as she was told and made sure to replace every empty glass from the Lord. Livia only hoped that he would become inebriated enough to loosen his lips.

Lord Samson, despite his size, got drunk rather quickly. At first he tried to protest, but Angela's insistence allowed him the relaxing he required. "I never liked your son," he said to Lord Hulme, "I hate him now. He should be like Frederick." Lord Hulme pulled a face.

"I wonder what they're talking about," William whispered. He could see angry facial expressions.

"I want to get closer," Livia whispered, "but I worry it may turn violent. Who knows what nonsense he's begun to spout?"

Livia watched as the discussion seemed to get more heated. She couldn't hear what was being said, but whatever it was, Samson was certainly making an idiot of himself. Livia wondered what would happen if he seriously offended Lord Hulme.

Status
Not open for further replies.