Status
Not open for further replies.

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
9hooP0T.gif

HEY FUCKERS, I HEAR THERE'S AN ELECTION HAPPENING SOON.

So lemme get out ahead of this, before General Chat turns into Iwaku's own version of The Purge.

Y'know, more than it fucking is already.

Politics threads tend to go to hell in a hand-basket faster than you can scream "HITLER WAS RIGHT", and with this current election cycle that's never been more true. At the end of the day, we're a roleplaying forum and we really don't need politics coming into spoil everyone's nice time: this is a place folks come to for escapism, after all, so having the election cycle chase them here is less than ideal.

BUT WAIT, I'M NOT FINISHED.

At the same time, we also don't want to go laying down blanket statements about what you can and can't say on Iwaku. Goes against that whole "flexibility of speech" thing we have written down somewhere that @Jorick and @Astaroth keep yelling at me about whenever I suggest we just ban all of you and have done with it. With that in mind, we're gonna try and find ourselves a middle ground solution that allows folks to have their say without the entire forum descending into a clusterfuck of angry, bipartisan bullshit.

Again, more than it already is.

SO HEY, YOU GOBSHITES WANNA TALK ELECTION 2K16?

YOU DO IT IN THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD ALONE.

To prevent me from rambling, lemme bullet-point how this is gonna work:
  • WE'RE KEEPING THINGS LIGHT. NO BIG RANTS ABOUT HOW HILLARY'S A FUCKING LIZARDWOMAN AND/OR HOW TRUMP IS HITLER 2.0.
  • We're keeping shit civil, too. Discussions are cool, but if you start slinging insults about (or, given how you fuckers tend to work, passive-aggressive sniping) you will get spanked.
  • Any overtly rant-like/insulting/snipey posts will get edited by our lovely security team to be more user-friendly. We will insert butterflies, rainbows and other nice suggestions so you all maybe calm the fuck down or something. You'll know they've edited a post cos it'll be all red. Like the blood of our enemies.
  • Gary Johnson is my husbando. You can't have him. He's mine.
  • Seriously. Mine.

Hopefully that clears everything up about the purpose of this thread. Now go fucking kill each other.

Or don't, actually. I think that's why I got asked to write this.

Trump is already talking about breaking a law by appointing his children into government positions and leaving them in charge of their businesses.
Just apointing his kids breaks several rules. Nepotism is strictly regulated and forbidden when selecting your cabinet and goverment. Oh. And all those people who said they didn't want "Political Dynasties"? Hahahaaahahahahah. The guy you chose just put his fucking kids in top positions.

Just apointing his kids breaks several rules. Nepotism is strictly regulated and forbidden when selecting your cabinet and goverment. Oh. And all those people who said they didn't want "Political Dynasties"? Hahahaaahahahahah. The guy you chose just put his fucking kids in top positions.
Sadly, his supporters don't care. One of them said on Twitter 'Well, he has so few people he can trust'. I wish it was 2020 already. The amount of stupidity this election has been mind numbing.

The electoral college is actually rather undemocratic because it gives unequal weight to votes. The very same system that forces politicians to care about the smaller states is what causes this. All states start with a minimum number of votes in the electoral college because it's based on number of members of Congress each state has. This means that in smaller states you have relatively smaller ratios of voters per electoral college vote, which in turn means those votes technically count for more than a vote from someone in California. This does not make for a better democracy, it makes for a clumsy system that allows a minority of voters to win their pick because their votes are worth more.

There are far more elegant ways to make sure everyone is fairly represented and has an equal vote in choosing the president. The fact that Clinton got about 1% more of the total votes but Trump got a significant margin over her in the projected electoral college votes is proof that the system is really not truly democratic in the way of every person having an equal vote. It's also worth noting that this is the 5th time there has been a difference between popular vote and electoral college vote winner. 5 times out of 58 elections means an 8.6% rate of this problem cropping up, and that's a pretty awkwardly high rate of the majority vote not selecting the president. I would love to see it replaced in my lifetime, but all candidates knew the rules of the game when it started and Trump won fair and square by the rules of the game, so it's not exactly right to say Clinton got cheated or any such nonsense.

Also, as far as electors going rogue, states actually cannot stop them from doing it. They could all vote against their states' wills and it could not be stopped. Many of them would get fined, but their votes would still be counted as cast. It is quite likely that the actual electoral college vote count after that there will be a few rogue votes this year but it is indeed unlikely for there to be enough people doing that to change the result.
Interesting information that I hadn't previously considered! I appreciate your respectful way of explaining something that I may not have previously understood. In regards to the electors, I was 99% certain that there were a fair amount of states that don't allow their electors to change the vote, but I could be wrong. I don't disagree that there could be far better ways to ensure a fair democracy, as the electoral college used to be quite different when it was first utilized (as in ratios and such that you were talking about). I'll have to do more research on it all, then! :D

Reactions: Jorick
I still can't get over the guy who published "Preventives makes women unattractive and crazy" is gonna be part of the goddamn cabinet.

To be fair, that was more Milo's thing.

And he basically exists just to piss people off.

Yeah, But Bannon published and gave the man a salary. Breitbarts been pushing that kind of shit for years. This is the man who openly stated he didn't want his daughter to go to the same school as "a bunch of whiney jews". I am just saying. Dude is... not good for anyone. Not even Trump!

When Glenn Beck thinks you done goofed by choosing Steve Bannon, ya done goofed.

Bannon On Dykes

This is bannon. He will be in the fucking white house. Don't ever tell us Feminists are stupid and obsolete. Sexism is alive and well. It is festering in the highest seats of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't tell us Feminists are stupid and obsolete.
You got it.

*Walks away from the US*
*Approaches Canada*

Canada... That message Hellis wanted me to deliver that's gonna get censored.

Ben Carson turned down a position in Trump's cabinet because he had no government experience.

Am I hallucinating, or did he run for President?

Someone tell me what country I'm in, because I sure as hell don't recognize it. ; ;

Ben Carson turned down a position in Trump's cabinet because he had no government experience.

Am I hallucinating, or did he run for President?

Someone tell me what country I'm in, because I sure as hell don't recognize it. ; ;
Ben Carson's "campaign" was actually just the most elaborate book tour of all time, as evidenced by him taking breaks from the campaign trail to do book signings and such. :D

You know what though....all these people with no government experience suddenly want to run for president. I'm throwing my name in for 2020! I'd find a way to fire every single person in office and start the whole damn thing from scratch. That's what we really need. Sadly, by the end of this presidency, I think we're all going to be drowning in the swamp. =/

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.