GLORIOUS OFFICIAL IWAKU ELECTION 2016 THREAD | ALL OTHER THREADS INFERIOR

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
9hooP0T.gif

HEY FUCKERS, I HEAR THERE'S AN ELECTION HAPPENING SOON.

So lemme get out ahead of this, before General Chat turns into Iwaku's own version of The Purge.

Y'know, more than it fucking is already.

Politics threads tend to go to hell in a hand-basket faster than you can scream "HITLER WAS RIGHT", and with this current election cycle that's never been more true. At the end of the day, we're a roleplaying forum and we really don't need politics coming into spoil everyone's nice time: this is a place folks come to for escapism, after all, so having the election cycle chase them here is less than ideal.

BUT WAIT, I'M NOT FINISHED.

At the same time, we also don't want to go laying down blanket statements about what you can and can't say on Iwaku. Goes against that whole "flexibility of speech" thing we have written down somewhere that @Jorick and @Astaroth keep yelling at me about whenever I suggest we just ban all of you and have done with it. With that in mind, we're gonna try and find ourselves a middle ground solution that allows folks to have their say without the entire forum descending into a clusterfuck of angry, bipartisan bullshit.

Again, more than it already is.

SO HEY, YOU GOBSHITES WANNA TALK ELECTION 2K16?

YOU DO IT IN THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD ALONE.

To prevent me from rambling, lemme bullet-point how this is gonna work:
  • WE'RE KEEPING THINGS LIGHT. NO BIG RANTS ABOUT HOW HILLARY'S A FUCKING LIZARDWOMAN AND/OR HOW TRUMP IS HITLER 2.0.
  • We're keeping shit civil, too. Discussions are cool, but if you start slinging insults about (or, given how you fuckers tend to work, passive-aggressive sniping) you will get spanked.
  • Any overtly rant-like/insulting/snipey posts will get edited by our lovely security team to be more user-friendly. We will insert butterflies, rainbows and other nice suggestions so you all maybe calm the fuck down or something. You'll know they've edited a post cos it'll be all red. Like the blood of our enemies.
  • Gary Johnson is my husbando. You can't have him. He's mine.
  • Seriously. Mine.

Hopefully that clears everything up about the purpose of this thread. Now go fucking kill each other.

Or don't, actually. I think that's why I got asked to write this.

Politicians flip-flopping isn't something new, as someone who is bisexual, I find this particular clip disgusting. To only represent those when it is deemed popular, not out of actual, genuine view. Trump doing this does not surprise me, what will surprise me is how much what he said will actually go through. Since most of the media still is harping the harmonies of doom merchants, I suspect very little will happen from his own end.

The conservative houses of Congress, however, that is a bit more alarming. Not to mention the resurgence of conservatism from the general failures of the Left throughout the Western world.

Reactions: Peter Feels
I wonder what would have happened if no one voted. Would Obama still be president? :O

I wonder what would have happened if no one voted. Would Obama still be president? :O
The House of Representatives would decide.

I HAVE BEEN SABOTAGED. CENSORSHIP I SAY! CENSORSHIIIIIP!

*lights himself on fire in protest*

Reactions: Kitti
Or... the electoral college would still have chosen for us. Our vote isn't necessary at the presidential level
That's not necessarily how it works. When a candidate wins a state, the electors they chose beforehand are appointed and then they cast their vote for their preferred candidate. If no one voted, there would be no electors. A constitutional crisis would ensue and the House would be the one to straighten it out.

That's not necessarily how it works. When a candidate wins a state, the electors they chose beforehand are appointed and then they cast their vote for their preferred candidate. If no one voted, there would be no electors. A constitutional crisis would ensue and the House would be the one to straighten it out.
The electoral college is chosen at the conventions, so logically, if an entire state refuses to vote, those electors are still there, just waiting to be chosen.

So the electoral college is a group of people who make the decision and not us, the voters?

So the electoral college is a group of people who make the decision and not us, the voters?
Kind of like how Canada's prime minister was chosen with only 39% of the vote.

Kind of like how Canada's prime minister was chosen with only 39% of the vote.

Electoral college can pick the President based on their own votes, regardless of how the population voted. In theory, they could decide they don't want Trump to be president and vote him out in December. It's undemocratic as fuck.

It's entirely different from Canada. In Canada, we have 3 major political parties, with the third party (The NDP) having gotten enough votes two elections ago to form the opposition party to the Conservatives, where the Liberal party came in third for the first time in history. If you want to be technical, there's 4 major political parties including Partis Quebecois, but they only run in Quebec because they're a sovereignty-oriented party that only exists in Quebec, so they'll never win the federal election because it is literally impossible for them to get votes for it.

Also keep in mind, a huge segment of the population doesn't vote, so 39% is still leagues better considering the vote was split between three parties, and Trump and Clinton both got approximately 25% of the vote each.

Basically how Canada's system works is that the parties select their leader before the election cycle, and the citizens vote for the person running in their riding to represent them in Parliament. Whoever gets elected in their riding earns a seat, and it counts towards their party's total , and after a certain number of seats, the winning party gets to form a minority government where the opposition can veto any bills they disagree with (and after something like 5 vetos, it forces another election), but if the pass another threshold for seats, they form a majority party, which basically means they have free reign for the next 4 years where the opposition can only really argue but not have any tangible way to prevent them from passing bills or making other executive decisions.

It's still not the best system in the world, but it's leagues better than the Electoral College. We also don't have bullshit like super delegates that completely skew the numbers.

Electoral college can pick the President based on their own votes, regardless of how the population voted. In theory, they could decide they don't want Trump to be president and vote him out in December. It's undemocratic as fuck.

It's entirely different from Canada. In Canada, we have 3 major political parties, with the third party (The NDP) having gotten enough votes two elections ago to form the opposition party to the Conservatives, where the Liberal party came in third for the first time in history. If you want to be technical, there's 4 major political parties including Partis Quebecois, but they only run in Quebec because they're a sovereignty-oriented party that only exists in Quebec, so they'll never win the federal election because it is literally impossible for them to get votes for it.

Also keep in mind, a huge segment of the population doesn't vote, so 39% is still leagues better considering the vote was split between three parties, and Trump and Clinton both got approximately 25% of the vote each.

Basically how Canada's system works is that the parties select their leader before the election cycle, and the citizens vote for the person running in their riding to represent them in Parliament. Whoever gets elected in their riding earns a seat, and it counts towards their party's total , and after a certain number of seats, the winning party gets to form a minority government where the opposition can veto any bills they disagree with (and after something like 5 vetos, it forces another election), but if the pass another threshold for seats, they form a majority party, which basically means they have free reign for the next 4 years where the opposition can only really argue but not have any tangible way to prevent them from passing bills or making other executive decisions.

It's still not the best system in the world, but it's leagues better than the Electoral College. We also don't have bullshit like super delegates that completely skew the numbers.
^ Important stuff. Don't throw compare delegates with multiparty representative democracies people.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish and Greenie

Mind you, I wasn't trying to make a literal comparison.
I was just bringing up how democratic institutions may act on the choice of a minority.

Mind you, I wasn't trying to make a literal comparison.
I was just bringing up how democratic institutions may act on the choice of a minority.

Which is precisely why I'm in favour of transferable votes and representative voting systems that do away with the antiquated first past the post system.

People will be much more willing to vote for a less popular party if they feel that that person has a chance to get a seat in government, or if not, their vote will transfer to their follow up choice, so on so forth, and not be wasted.

So is it just me or has Trump been looking absolutely fucking terrified since he got the nomination? Because for the past week since, he's had this look of "Oh Jesus Christ in heaven someone PLEASE HELP ME I AM SO DAMN TERRIFIED".

Not to be conspiratorial... but do you suppose that he was banking on LOSING the election? Because I feel like he was, I feel like half of his run was to drum up support for his brand, and now he's scared because he's realizing exactly the kind of power he's been handed.

That, or Obama told him that Reptilians have been trying to take over and only the president stands in the way of certain destruction.

So is it just me or has Trump been looking absolutely fucking terrified since he got the nomination? Because for the past week since, he's had this look of "Oh Jesus Christ in heaven someone PLEASE HELP ME I AM SO DAMN TERRIFIED".

Not to be conspiratorial... but do you suppose that he was banking on LOSING the election? Because I feel like he was, I feel like half of his run was to drum up support for his brand, and now he's scared because he's realizing exactly the kind of power he's been handed.

That, or Obama told him that Reptilians have been trying to take over and only the president stands in the way of certain destruction.
He could always just be nervous. It is a big responsibility to handle, even if you do plan to hand most of it off to advisers and help.

Reactions: Legens Legentis
That is also very possible. If anything seeing his more human side makes me a little more sympathetic towards him; could prove to help his image some as well.

Also oh my god your name and avatar are fucking amazing and hilarious.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum

I think this is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.