3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Sc-fi, Horror, Steampunk, anything really

INTEREST CHECK
Welcome to the interest check and group plotting for Gems of Exousia. This roleplay aspires to be a long-term fantasy adventure. There are four sections in this interest check to describe the idea. Let me know if you're interested in joining! Thank you for reading.

MAIN PlOT
The main plot of this group roleplay is for the Player Characters to seek out eleven powerful gemstones that make up the Exousia Talisman. The Empire of Epotentia, a government in the world of Exousia, broadcasts a treasure hunt to the realm for them to collect the stones and return them to the Emperor. Only he has the blueprints and materials to craft the talisman. It is entirely up to you if they want to give the stones to the Emperor or find a way to take or duplicate the blueprint. Depending on certain choices, the storyline could change.

The Quest for the eleven gems is long and filled with adventure. There are eleven challenges to overcome before successfully collecting the gems. The rest of the roleplay will explore character relationships and exploring the world finding new ways to move forward and utilize the powers hidden there.

THE WORLD OF POWER
The setting for this group roleplay is a world called Exousia. It means power in greek, and denotes the magical energies that flow throughout the landscape. The world is rich in minerals and various gemstones that hold their own abilities and attributes. Swaths of deep dark jungles crowd the bottoms of giant mountains that give way to caverns of untold treasures. There are certain temperate and dry places on Exousia; however, lush plants cover most of the planet.

The world is split into five major continents and one larger archipelago chain of five islands. There are three countries on each continent, and the islands have loose tribal settlements that are made for a distinct purpose. The countries are then broken up by nations that govern them. The biggest nation is an Empire, while the smallest nation is a Province. There will be more information on descriptions of each later. The climate is unpredictable at times and can be fierce storms or quiet sunny days.

GEM INFO
The Eleven Gemstones are ancient amulets crafted by eldritch deities of unbelievable power. The talisman that holds them in place directs the stones energy to allow miracles to happen, as well as; causing several enthralling effects for the user. The deities each represented one of the stones that birthed the world of Exousia. For a time, they reigned over the world then there was a cataclysm that rendered the talisman apart and separated the gemstones across the realm. The details about what happened with that catastrophe and the deities who created the talisman are shrouded in mystery.

The current societies living on Exousia have not uncovered enough evidence to understand it. What they do know is that all rocks and minerals have magical properties. The energies on the world manifest themselves through the objects there. Things that come from the depths of the earth, like gemstones, are the most potent forms, while the surface creations get half of the energy. The Eleven Gemstones are the most mythic and magical of all rocks on Exousia. Each stone represents an aspect of Aethe, the core principles of the Universe.

ROLEPLAY PERKS
There are three main roleplay perks in this idea; a Hidden Object Game System, Inventory and Equipment Specialities, and the Exousia Foundry and Blueprints. These intrigrate into the story as ways for your characters to find new items on their adventures, keep them stored or equip them, and create their own crafts from a blueprint library. I'd like to brainstorm with those interested on how exactly these work and what they shall include. I have vague ideas but I'd like your input too.

CONCLUSION
In conclusion, I hope we can create this adventure that will be fun for all. This thread will be up to discuss how exactly the roleplay will work in the future. Player input is important!

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: lumbago
I love the concept and want more info on the systems that are planned to be used.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
UPDATE #1: Dropped Loss Rule & Added Loss Condition

HIDDEN OBJECT GAME SYSTEM
This Random Number Generator is used for this perk.

The Hidden Object Game System, or H.O.G.S. for shorthand, is the first roleplay perk in Gems of Exousia. This perk allows the GM to hide various objects in the IC for your character to find. When trying to collect these items, your character can attempt to pick them up in their post. However, the determining factor to your character receiving that item in their inventory is using a Random Number Generator. Even numbers guarantee a successful pickup. Odd numbers usually mean you don't get the object; or there is a challenge to overcome before rolling the generator again. If you fail three times in a row, not getting an even number, you automatically are granted one free win of an item you want. These wins can stack on each other, and they do not expire.

These items you can find are sometimes tailored to characters or certain aspects of the game. Each item has a set of attributes and requirements to use it that include; Name, Appearance, Abilities, Equip Cost, and Downfalls. A brief description of each is below:

Name:
The full name of the object.

Appearance:
A description and image of the object's appearance.

Abilities:
A description of the object's main abilities.

Equip Cost:
What requirements do you need to meet in order to equip this item and use it properly.

Downfalls:
A description of the object's downfalls and possible negative consequences for using it.

Overall, this perk allows your characters to obtain useful items while journeying through Exousia.

Last edited:
Hmm While I don't mind this system. There is a fragment of me (The fragment that has made me track over 10k of Roll20 rolls just to prove the system hates me) that is aware that someone is going to roll badly and just never get an item. Can I suggest you include a 'if you fail to claim X items you get 1 free 'auto claim'" or similar?

• Thank You
Hmm While I don't mind this system. There is a fragment of me (The fragment that has made me track over 10k of Roll20 rolls just to prove the system hates me) that is aware that someone is going to roll badly and just never get an item. Can I suggest you include a 'if you fail to claim X items you get 1 free 'auto claim'" or similar?
Perhaps we could give three "passes" for a month, or should it be more?

I'm thinking it could be monthly since the posting cycle varies in length.

Question! What kind of fantasy is it? Like low, mid, high, what exactly? I'm curious because I've been trying to develop a few fantasy characters, but I believe it'd depend on the setting and character restrictions to see if I'd have anything I could use in this roleplay if I were to join.

Question! What kind of fantasy is it? Like low, mid, high, what exactly? I'm curious because I've been trying to develop a few fantasy characters, but I believe it'd depend on the setting and character restrictions to see if I'd have anything I could use in this roleplay if I were to join.
I would say it's a mix between mid and high-fantasy. In the world, there is advanced technology like the foundry and blueprints that are more technologically advanced and then you have the energy that is abundant everywhere that can be used through other means. Magic is not the easiest to wield in the world it requires processes to use it.

What characters did you have in mind? I'm sure we could make it to where they work in the roleplay.

Perhaps we could give three "passes" for a month, or should it be more?

I'm thinking it could be monthly since the posting cycle varies in length.
I'm more thinking of having it be based on number of fails, because if its X per time period, then it still holds the issue of players rolling badly all the time suffer. Look at it this way: 3 passes a month, with lets say 7 HOGs a month, I roll well 3 times, get three of the seven, Well why wouldn't I just burn my three passes and get 6 items that month, and leave the seventh to chance, While a player who rolls poorly will get 3, I've gotten double their number of items. While if we say 'for every 3 fails you get 1 free pass' well, I roll well, get my 3 times, miss the next three, get a freebie so that gives me four. Bad rolling player, comes in to the month with 1 free pass fails their first three rolls giving them 2 free passes, rolls well once, then uses their two free passes. giving them 3 items, leaving the last to chance. putting them only one below the high-rolling player.

I hope that makes sense? It also means that when a player is down on their luck they'll get picked up, while players who are doing well (and thus don't need the support) don't get an advantage. Think of it like a 'catch up mechanic' in a video game or board game. You don't get gold mushrooms when you're in first place in mario kart.

• Useful
That sounds good! So every three fails on the number generator give you one free pass to collect an item of your choice. Should there be two challenges after the two bad rolls or should we get rid of the challenges all together for the pass system?

That's totally up to you as the DM. I like the idea of the RP challenges since it balances players between 'rely on dice' and 'rely on roleplay' I've been in a few D&D games where we get to puzzles and rather than RP'ing the puzzles players just go "I roll X skip!"

• Thank You
Okay, I will keep the challenges and drop the two-odds loss rule. I am going to update the information in the code here soon. The second roleplay perk takes some time to sketch out fully. It should be done later this evening tho.

I would say it's a mix between mid and high-fantasy. In the world, there is advanced technology like the foundry and blueprints that are more technologically advanced and then you have the energy that is abundant everywhere that can be used through other means. Magic is not the easiest to wield in the world it requires processes to use it.

What characters did you have in mind? I'm sure we could make it to where they work in the roleplay.
Ah, gotcha! I just primarily do non-human characters, so I asked about setting since I just wanted to know if other races would work and all that. Additionally the whole magic question since I have at least one character that ever-slightly uses magic and all. That's it really, thanks for letting me know. Can't wait to see the endemic races of Exousia when sign-ups hit!

• Thank You

Ah, gotcha! I just primarily do non-human characters, so I asked about setting since I just wanted to know if other races would work and all that. Additionally the whole magic question since I have at least one character that ever-slightly uses magic and all. That's it really, thanks for letting me know. Can't wait to see the endemic races of Exousia when sign-ups hit!
Yep, non-human characters are totally fine and encouraged, humans are a minority race on Exousia. The signups are a ways off from completion this thread's purpose is to expand the roleplay further with the help of players. So if you had a specific race you wanted to play, let me know and we can work something out. Magic is abundant everywhere, it resides in the world and certain creatures. Magic is hard to use without first channeling it through tools. The races that can utilize magic can do so with limitations. Instead of channeling it through tools, they may channel it through points on the body. However, channeling large amounts of magic through bodies is nearly impossible without risking serious consequences to the user, and sometimes those around them. Keep it coming with questions!

Yep, non-human characters are totally fine and encouraged, humans are a minority race on Exousia. The signups are a ways off from completion this thread's purpose is to expand the roleplay further with the help of players. So if you had a specific race you wanted to play, let me know and we can work something out. Magic is abundant everywhere, it resides in the world and certain creatures. Magic is hard to use without first channeling it through tools. The races that can utilize magic can do so with limitations. Instead of channeling it through tools, they may channel it through points on the body. However, channeling large amounts of magic through bodies is nearly impossible without risking serious consequences to the user, and sometimes those around them. Keep it coming with questions!
Oh that sounds nice! Glad to hear that I'll be able to see less humans in a typically human-infested genre! Of course, not to say they're not able to be good characters, but it's always felt a tinge excessive to me. Regardless, I do have at least one race in mind for one character I'm still working on, but I'll probably just hear about the races you've in mind before I recommend my own.

The magic part is still cool though, since that sounds like it's partly linked to Hinduism and Tantra, if I'm not mistaken. Just kinda reminds me of chakras, is all. Nevertheless, I'm probably out of questions until more info about this roleplay is settled in.