Games you dislike that everyone loves

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't seem to like Dark Souls. >.>

Another game that came to my mind that I didn't really like is FFX. I'm not sure why. It might be the story, or maybe the charaters. They just didn't really appeal to me.

Then again, I love FFXII that everyone seems to hate sooo I may just be the weird one.
I thought it was FFXIII that everybody hates? I think I'm one of the few who enjoy the XIII set. :/

I thought it was FFXIII that everybody hates? I think I'm one of the few who enjoy the XIII set. :/
I've heard FFXIII receiving hate, though not as much as XII.

I think what people disliked about XIII was that the story was much too linear. I couldn't say though, since I didn't play it myself. I've read about the story though and and seen enough game-play to find it appealing enough.

Undertale
Call of Duty
Binding of Isaac
Five Nights at Freddy's
Dragon Age (despite how much I wanted to like it)
Any driving games

In Bloodborne, ranged enemy units will just stand in one spot and shoot at you. If an obstruction is in the way, they just shoot the obstruction. They're literally only programmed to stand in place and shoot at you, that's it. They didn't even program them to walk around a wall to shoot at you. Do you know how fucking lazy that is? I have actually designed a better AI in a Computer Science class
...tell that to the other Hunters. 'Cause they do NOT stand still and shoot. Not even a little.

Indifference List

Note, I try not to come off too much as a angsty twat for most video games, I tend not to be all in the sooper critical review circlejerk, not my cup of tea. Though, I do it sometimes, so apologies if I sound salter than the Red Sea and more bias than Fox News. I am a human, sue me. But, here a few off the top of my head that as of late have been grinding my gears. I am fairly sure there are few games I actually hate (we don't count Steam Early Access or the Xbox 360 "indie" section), but here are ones that sort of make me just go "ugh"

Call of Duty (not counting World at War and COD4)
Fallout 4 (give it to Obsidian ffs, not bad, hell I almost put a hundred hours into it, but it could be so much more)
Payday 2 (I liked it, but then 30 DLCs came. Nice on taking out microtransactions though, take that, 505)
Total War Rome II (Buggy mess a year after launch, infantry a mess, strategy to an all-time low)
Garry's Mod (I have not been this afraid of preteen children until I played this abomination)
MOBAs (I can't get into it, sorry. SMITE is kinda okay for me)
Bioshock Infinite (I am a hardcore Bioshock fan, but this one sticks to me as the weakest in the series)
Battlefield 1 (WW1 isn't run-and-gun lens flare. Also jk this will be good...but that annoys me. Also I haven't played it so WEEE.)

krieg on that throne of higher moral compasses

damnit it jason

I think what people disliked about XIII was that the story was much too linear. I couldn't say though, since I didn't play it myself. I've read about the story though and and seen enough game-play to find it appealing enough.
Linear Story combined with the fact you need to read hours worth of codex entries to even follow the bare basics (because otherwise they just name drop assuming you already know everything) were the main problems.

• Useful
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
Call of Duty (Everything after Modern Warfare 2)

Undertale (8 bit shit not worth 10 bucks)

Kingdom Hearts (Never played it, No desire to play it. Not even in the least)

Fallout (Played Fallout 3. Hated it. Idea was cool. Game sucked)

Anything 2K sports (The mechanics just suck. They can be fun, but graphics suck and mechanics suck.)

FAVORITE GAMES
Titanfall

Halo Franchise

Rainbow Six Franchise

Football Manager

Pokemon GO

Star Wars Battlefront (Not the EA shit that is new. The Original Battlefront and Battlefront 2)

Need for Speed Underground franchise (Not the Need for Speed now. Hated the new Need for Speed.)

Kingdom Hearts
Halo
Call of Duty (all of em ;D)
FFX
Five Nights at Freddy's
P.T. (not technically a game I guess lol)
Portal 2
Splatoon

More I cannot think of... Lots more. I'm picky.
I don't hate any of these. But I don't like them really.
As an artist I have to be able to see the good and the bad, so I can definitely praise all these games for what they do right or what makes them important to gaming and innovation in gaming. But, they just didn't do it for me for one reason or another, sometimes poor narrative sometimes poor game design.
I try to take a game in as a whole. And even if I loved certain parts, a part does not a great game make. And I probably wouldn't buy any of these a second time.

Pokemon Go. I really wish people would shut the fuck up about it. This is already worse than all the people who wouldn't shut up about other lame mobile games like Flappy Bird and Candy Crush and so on. -_-

Need for Speed Underground franchise (Not the Need for Speed now. Hated the new Need for Speed.)
Agree with this! :D
Pokemon Go. I really wish people would shut the fuck up about it. This is already worse than all the people who wouldn't shut up about other lame mobile games like Flappy Bird and Candy Crush and so on. -_-
o_o Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
Zelda games (Especially)
Most Mario games
Pokemon games
Call of Duty games
Kingdom Hearts (Especially)
SIMS
Harvest Moon
Animal Crossing
GTA games (Except Vice city)
Most MMORPGs

Reactions: Greenie
I think Super Mario RPG has aged extremely poorly and is one of the weakest entries in the Mario RPGs. I find it exceptionally dull and simplistic

Still better than Super Paper Mario, which is almost entirely rubbish, yet people seem to adore it. I think world 3 and 8 are very solid and everything else is mediocre to outright terrible

I also think Sticker Ster is pretty alright albeit flawed

AMA!

...tell that to the other Hunters. 'Cause they do NOT stand still and shoot. Not even a little.
Wasn't sure about Bloodborne (because I don't have a PS4 to play it on, so I've only seen streams of the game--being fair.) Dark Souls, however...

7C516EA3D18062F3A8CA0E28E2A4DD3564250B43

AI Level: Drooling Kid that pees on his shoes.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
NOVAs BITTER AND UNFILTERED HATE SPEECH ABOUT GAMES

Pokemon Series

My explanation for this is simple... we grew up on Pokemon, played Pokemon as kids, watched the show and today it's nothing more than a cash grab on olden memories. Nothing has changed, they haven't introduced nothing to the storyline or gameplay of the game since the 90's nothing but the graphics have changed while when we compare it to other games it just gets blown away. Like shoes or clothing we pay for the name but remember the memories of what once happened in those same shoes or clothing. Now all I see is this young adults clinging to olden memories while a corporation cash grabs the hell out of them.

Call of Duty Multiplayer

Nothing more than a twitch shooter with no planning before hand. The crowds aim to be nothing more than mindless 8-year olds that lash out at you for killing them over and over again due to the sheer mind advantage you have over them. No comment on it.

Final Fantasy Series

I will never... EVER understand this series... the universe, the mechanics, the gameplay. Is it an RPG? Is it a turn-based combat game? Turn-based strategy game? It sets itself upon a Japanese market and tries so hard to fill all the quotas that it starts to slowly fail to fill its basic ones. It confuses me greatly as to what this tries to achieve.

I'm curious as to how everyone here who says that Pokemon hasn't changed at all over the years would feel about a game like, say, Super Smash Bros. I feel like that's a similar idea -- where the core gameplay stays essentially the same, but there's still enough that's new to keep players interested. In fact, I'd actually say that Pokemon has changed a lot more than Smash in its lifetime, and yet, it seems like I never see anyone make the same complaints about it.

Personally I feel like Pokemon adds plenty of new stuff in each generation, but I can understand where people are coming from about the core gameplay staying the same. At the very least, I'd like to go on-record stating that nostalgia is not what keeps me coming back to it, despite what so many have said. I mean, sure, I'm nostalgic for the old games alright. But when I want to feel nostalgic like that, I just play... the old games. :P And the nostalgia I get from those games is not at all what I get from the newer games.

@Kagayours A lot of people also fail to realize that consumers want consistency. There's a reason why Mario is more popular than Sonic for example. Change can kill a franchise so it's a lot more profitable (and better) to keep things the same. If it's not broke, DON'T FUCKING FIX IT. Complaining about a franchise not changing in a huge way isn't a good complaint to me because as much as I like to see new things, I want consistent quality a bit more. I don't want to see some of my favorite franchises ruined just because a company decides to cater to fans that aren't there and ignore the people they NEED to cater to first and foremost.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
I'm curious as to how everyone here who says that Pokemon hasn't changed at all over the years would feel about a game like, say, Super Smash Bros. I feel like that's a similar idea -- where the core gameplay stays essentially the same, but there's still enough that's new to keep players interested.
Well for me I can throw the same criticism at every single Nintendo Title.

Mario? Repetitive and marketed to death... And then hired a Necromancy to do it 5 more times.
Zelda? Same basic story and gameplay each game.
Fire Emblem? Same turned based startegy, which slight variations on stats and forged items per game. Awakening was perhaps the biggest leap with introducing dual support and children.
Pokemon? You know my stance on that one by now.

Mario? Repetitive and marketed to death... And then hired a Necromancy to do it 5 more times.
Zelda? Same basic story and gameplay each game.
Fire Emblem? Same turned based startegy, which slight variations on stats and forged items per game. Awakening was perhaps the biggest leap with introducing dual support and children.
Pokemon? You know my stance on that one by now.
:/ Eh. With Zelda in particular I'd really have to disagree with you. The gameplay in particular changes a lot, I'd say -- I mean, just compare 3D Zelda adventures like Ocarina of Time to a top-down perspective 2D game like the original Legend of Zelda. And a lot of the story elements seem to be changed up quite a bit, at least compared to something like Mario or Pokemon. Like, yeah, you're still going through dungeons and exploring the world of Hyrule in-between, but your motivation for getting through those dungeons and the nature of the evil you're fighting against can be fairly different each time.

Not to mention, Zelda at least gives you some relatively varied gameplay mechanics to center the game around, as opposed to being more subtle changes like in Pokemon. Ocarina of Time lets you time-travel, and shift between adult Link and young Link, where you have access to different weapons with each form of the character and complete puzzles and things in different ways. Twilight Princess lets Link transform into a wolf, which gives him a very different set of abilities from his human form. Etc.

Like, I'd say that some of the only things that a lot of Zelda games seem to have in common would be the concept of completing dungeons, a few weapons that usually stay the same (sword, hookshot, bow and arrow, etc), and the fact that you're usually saving Princess Zelda in some way, shape, or form. Still, I'd say a lot of those are fairly surface-level differences. :/

Now I'm curious... how much would you say a game series does have to change in order for you to enjoy it? What would you say is ok to keep the same and not ok to keep the same?

Like, with Pokemon and Mario I at least understand your reasoning, but with Zelda, it seems like even surface-level similarities are too much to keep the same from one game to the next. :/ Which then brings up the question, what's the point of a game even having sequels if repeating the successes of the original is something to criticize? How does a game series find balance in between not just being a repeat of earlier versions, but also not taking away the things that made the earlier entries good in the first place, making them a sequel in name alone?

(Edit: Also, sorry if I'm coming across as too argumentative. I'm really just trying to have a discussion at this point. If people don't want me defending games here, I'm sure we can move this to PM's. :X )

Last edited:
I mean, just compare 3D Zelda adventures like Ocarina of Time to a top-down perspective 2D game like the original Legend of Zelda.
That's one jump to update with technology (and because they switched to the Console Market primarily). Within the handheld world and console world specifically though they're largely the same.
Not to mention, Zelda at least gives you some relatively varied gameplay mechanics to center the game around, as opposed to being more subtle changes like in Pokemon. Ocarina of Time lets you time-travel, and shift between adult Link and young Link, where you have access to different weapons with each form of the character and complete puzzles and things in different ways. Twilight Princess lets Link transform into a wolf, which gives him a very different set of abilities from his human form. Etc.
These are all shifting mechanics you're listing. Same idea, different skinning.
Now I'm curious... how much would you say a game series does have to change in order for you to enjoy it?
Aaaaaand I was wondering if this confusion was going to pop up again or not.

Criticising a game =/= Not enjoying a game.
If you can't criticise something it's kind doomed to fail because it refuses to address it's flaws.

Ever since I mentioned I wasn't buying the next pokemon title you seem to have adopted the idea of anytime I'm critiquing a game I must dislike the game. When in truth my reason for not buying pokemon again wasn't out of a dislike, but because I didn't want to spend enough money for a whole new game for just minor differences. I still enjoy pokemon, I still enjoy the series. Me not buying one title and explaining why is not the same as me not liking said series.

Status
Not open for further replies.